PDA

View Full Version : UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Suze
04-17-2013, 07:31 PM
If you were on a Job for 2 years making only 50K, then someone offers you a job making 65K would you take it? I know i would.

So if he is the head coach at UAA for one year and someone offers him a 15K raise, it would be okay for him to leave? It's the pattern I don't care for. And it isn't up to me anyway, but I am still entitled to my opinion. Right or wrong.

Just look at the assistant coaches that have come through or left the program in the past 8 years. It's not a good track record, and we need more stability than that.

Hammer
04-17-2013, 07:36 PM
Heenan taking Utica to the NCAA Division III Frozen Four this year might have been seen by some of the committee as a plus - especially by people who could have been swayed by the words "NCAA" and "Frozen Four". It's a big jump from D-III to D-I, though, in terms of, well, everything.

Things didn't go well with his four days at Union - but as as davyd83 said, maybe Heenan learned a lesson from 2005.

Utica had a hell of a team this year.

But for as good of a record as he has, this was his first trip to the NCAA's in 13 years.

Suze
04-17-2013, 07:39 PM
The ADN reads "Following initial phone interviews, finalists will be brought to campus for in-person interviews. During the on-campus interview process, an open forum will be scheduled for the public to meet each candidate". I don't recall that happening when Talafous, Hill or Shyiak were hired.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2013/04/17/2868474/uaa-names-4-finalists-for-hockey.html#storylink=cpy

Hammer
04-17-2013, 07:44 PM
If you want a name from D-3, and I don't know if anyone going to get him out of where he's at, but here's one: Tim Coghin, St. Norbert. What he has done at SNC is simply amazing.

Jimjamesak
04-17-2013, 07:48 PM
So if he is the head coach at UAA for one year and someone offers him a 15K raise, it would be okay for him to leave? It's the pattern I don't care for. And it isn't up to me anyway, but I am still entitled to my opinion. Right or wrong.
If its to an Assistant job, then no it wouldn't be ok and I doubt he takes it. If its a Head Coach job at somewhere like Michigan State, then yeah.

Coaches move around all the time, it's the nature of the business.

Jimjamesak
04-17-2013, 07:51 PM
A lot of young coaches make moves to get up the ladder. But if there is anything that this pool of finalists should illustrate, the job and what it has to offer hasn't been viewed as very attractive. Where are the out of work experienced head coaches like Osiecki and Markell? Where are the top USHL coaches like LaLonde from Green Bay or Cary Eades? How about top assistants like Brown from BC, Gibbons from St Cloud or Ferschweiler from Western Mich or Brekke from Miami? How about assistants to the recently released Gwozdecky or Osiecki like Lassonde or Rohlik? It's scary for UAA that that was the best of the best they could attract.
Well, since the last three coaches to come to UAA have struggled and left with their careers in shambles, I don't blame them for not applying.

joecct
04-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Heenan taking Utica to the NCAA Division III Frozen Four this year might have been seen by some of the committee as a plus - especially by people who could have been swayed by the words "NCAA" and "Frozen Four". It's a big jump from D-III to D-I, though, in terms of, well, everything.

Things didn't go well with his four days at Union - but as as davyd83 said, maybe Heenan learned a lesson from 2005.Clarkson fans can tell you all about it.

Alaskana
04-17-2013, 08:05 PM
The ADN reads "Following initial phone interviews, finalists will be brought to campus for in-person interviews. During the on-campus interview process, an open forum will be scheduled for the public to meet each candidate". I don't recall that happening when Talafous, Hill or Shyiak were hired.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2013/04/17/2868474/uaa-names-4-finalists-for-hockey.html#storylink=cpy

+1 to UAA for letting the UAA & Anchorage community meet the potential coaches. That is a move in the right direction and the kind of thing I'd like to see more of.

davyd83
04-17-2013, 08:12 PM
If you want a name from D-3, and I don't know if anyone going to get him out of where he's at, but here's one: Tim Coghin, St. Norbert. What he has done at SNC is simply amazing.Tim has done a great job at St Norbert for many many years and he was a terrific player at UWSP under Mark Mazzoleni as well.

Suze
04-17-2013, 08:13 PM
+1 to UAA for letting the UAA & Anchorage community meet the potential coaches. That is a move in the right direction and the kind of thing I'd like to see more of.

Agreed, especially since the search committee didn't include any boosters or hockey alumni.

davyd83
04-17-2013, 08:14 PM

Just look at the assistant coaches that have come through or left the program in the past 8 years. It's not a good track record, and we need more stability than that.First you have to identify why they leave. Why did Reg leave? Why did Whitten leave? How about the others.

seawolfpunk
04-17-2013, 08:17 PM
First you have to identify why they leave. Why did Reg leave? Why did Whitten leave? How about the others.

Reg left for a head coaching/GM opportunity in the USHL, although he was let go last year. Whitten took a job at MSU.

uaafanblog
04-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Here is the core of the problem for UAA and UAF and their sports programs:

Forty-Five Billion Six Hundred and Seventy-Two Million dollars is the amount of money that Alaska is letting some carpet-bagging elite corporate money manager blowhards play with (and by play with I of course mean invest everywhere and anywhere that isn't named ALASKA). It is money that will forever be sitting in an account and will never be touched for anything; then the economy/banking system collapses again and it's worth nothing. Unless and until Alaskan citizens take control of the Permanent Fund Account they will forever be stuck with a half-arsed state infrastructure and the sorriest excuse for a University system amongst the 50 states.

$45,672,000,000

All in the false name of "conservative economics".

And oh yeah ... it grows by an average rate of $3,000,000,000 dollars a year.

buy_odins_beer
04-17-2013, 08:31 PM
The fact is that UAA is just not that attractive of a job for the big name guys. There isn't enough $$$ at UAA or a commitment to growing the program within the administration to lure those guys. It's not pretty to say, but that's the reality.

This. And this would get AD's fired most places but UAA is content with it. DISGUSTING.

davyd83
04-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Reg left for a head coaching/GM opportunity in the USHL, although he was let go last year. Whitten took a job at MSU.I know exactly why they left. Better opportunity elsewhere, be it in the position or the paycheck. If you want attractive candidates to stay, the position has to warrant it. Sorry, but whether its Alaska Anchorage or Lake Superior or Northern Michigan, there are always next steps and better paychecks ahead. At NMU, John Olver left the assistant's position for a front office spot in the AHL. Rob Facca left for Western Michigan for another assistant position. A lateral move on the flow chart, but a big raise in pay. Were either disloyal to NMU? Not in the least. Better opportunities for them and their families presented themselves.

Suze
04-17-2013, 08:40 PM
I know exactly why they left. Better opportunity elsewhere, be it in the position or the paycheck. If you want attractive candidates to stay, the position has to warrant it. Sorry, but whether its Alaska Anchorage or Lake Superior or Northern Michigan, there are always next steps and better paychecks ahead. At NMU, John Olver left the assistant's position for a front office spot in the AHL. Rob Facca left for Western Michigan for another assistant position. A lateral move on the flow chart, but a big raise in pay. Were either disloyal to NMU? Not in the least. Better opportunities for them and their families presented themselves.

Except in the case of Reggie, I believe he took a pay CUT to come to UAA as an assistant. I know why he left because I have spoken to him about it - and it wasn't about money. I didn't expect him to apply and it appears as if he didn't.

davyd83
04-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Except in the case of Reggie, I believe he took a pay CUT to come to UAA as an assistant. I know why he left because I have spoken to him about it - and it wasn't about money. I didn't expect him to apply and it appears as if he didn't.There were obviously reasons that he no longer felt the position was attractive to him. And I respect your personal conversation with him. But what ever his reason was, that is one thing that needs to be rectified. Thanks for the input.

malainse
04-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Why is anyone surprised about D-III coaches being finalists? We are after all being run like a D-III program.

Seawolf Fan
04-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Very few jobs in Anchorage or _airbanks pay less than what similar jobs pay outside.
Hockey jobs seem to be the exception to this

QUAlum2004
04-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Why is anyone surprised about D-III coaches being finalists? We are after all being run like a D-III program.

To be fair Norm Bazin came from D-3 Hamilton to UMass Lowell and only took them from a 5 win the year before arrived to 24 then 27 with a frozen four appearance.