PDA

View Full Version : UAA Seawolves offseason thread- time for change

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

davyd83
04-17-2013, 03:55 PM
They certainly are the coaches that win at UAA. No qualms there. But nobody on that committee knows enough about hockey to be selecting a coach. Looks more like a business decision than an athletic team decision.

We are going to agree on this one. I was shocked when I saw the list of names on that committee. How can they accurately analyze a hockey coach's plan to recruit players too and develop talent at the University of Alaska at Anchorage? With no connections to the hockey world, how can they analyze an individual's reputation and character and the level of respect he has attained within the industry. With a crew like that, it's possible that one who is better at presentation than he is at Xs and Os and recruiting could score higher than one who can build a program and win games.

UAA Seawolves Fan
04-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Four finalists have been named by the Athletic Department and the illustrious committee of "experts." The list includes: Chris Brown, Michael Corbett, Gary Heenan and Damon Whitten.

Brown: Former UAA Assistant, Head coach at DIII Marian College
Corbett: Air Force assistant
Heenan: Head Coach at DIII Utica College
Whitten: Former UAA Assistant, Michigan Tech Assistant

http://www.goseawolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13400&ATCLID=207267900

seawolfpunk
04-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Four finalists have been named by the Athletic Department and the illustrious committee of "experts." The list includes: Chris Brown, Michael Corbett, Gary Heenan and Damon Whitten.

Corbett or whitten. I'm personally surprised Damon is not a head coach anywhere

davyd83
04-17-2013, 04:39 PM

Looks like it wasn't a very deep pool. No experienced head coaches or highly touted assistants. No top USHL coaches either.

uaafanblog
04-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Nothing against any of these four guys in particular. But this is an UNDERWHELMING list of finalists. None of these guys bring anything to the table beyond that which Dave Shyiak brought to the program. Any single one of them is likely to perform at roughly the same level as Shyiak or Hill or Talafous did. The Seawolves program will now make a change that isn't really a change at all. I'd sure like to see the list of everyone that actually applied cos I'm stunned that these are the best 4 candidates.

The search committee was obviously COMPLETELY CLUELESS as to the systemic problems that have kept UAA at the bottom. Sad sad sad sad sad day for UAA Hockey.

Alaskana
04-17-2013, 04:53 PM
What the Hill? Guess UAA decided to punk Doyle and us here at USCHO with a 'short list' last week that wasn't so short after all.

Ah well, the show must go on. My money's on Corbett or Whitten.

uaafanblog
04-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Dave Shyiak is shaking his head today and likely laughing his arse off.

davyd83
04-17-2013, 04:57 PM
Nothing against any of these four guys in particular. But this is an UNDERWHELMING list of finalists. None of these guys bring anything to the table beyond that which Dave Shyiak brought to the program. Any single one of them is likely to perform at roughly the same level as Shyiak or Hill or Talafous did. The Seawolves program will now make a change that isn't really a change at all. I'd sure like to see the list of everyone that actually applied cos I'm stunned that these are the best 4 candidates.Me too. Brown has had losing records in 4 of 8 seasons at his current D-III job, including the last 2 yrs where he's a combined 10 games under .500 AND he's a sub .500 coach for the career. Plus it's been 13 years since he's been at the D-I level. His recruiting experience is at a far lower level and in a far different footprint from where UAA can reasonable expect to draw talent. The other D-III guy (Heenan) has never worked coached or played at the D-I level. He may be a decent candidate if he spent some time as a D-I assistant for 4-5 years. I'm gonna guess it comes down to Whitten and Corbett and Whitten gets the nod based on his UAA ties.

Seawolf Fan
04-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Looks like it wasn't a very deep pool. No experienced head coaches or highly touted assistants. No top USHL coaches either.
Hard to tell how deep the pool was. The waters in the pool are a little murky. Kinda hard to see who was in the pool. These are only the "final four" from within the pool. As noted elsewhere on this thread there were no "hockey people" on the search committee. So there is that. Who knows what instructions the committee was given? Were they told to select candidates they thought would accept a certain salary range? What parameters did the committee operate under? Dr Cobb and the Committee has the answers. We don't.

UAA Seawolves Fan
04-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Hard to tell how deep the pool was. The waters in the pool are a little murky. Kinda hard to see who was in the pool. These are only the "final four" from within the pool. As noted elsewhere on this thread there were no "hockey people" on the search committee. So there is that. Who knows what instructions the committee was given? Were they told to select candidates they thought would accept a certain salary range? What parameters did the committee operate under? Dr Cobb and the Committee has the answers. We don't.
And you can bet that none of us are going to privy to that information...

uaafanblog
04-17-2013, 05:07 PM
I'm gonna guess it comes down to Whitten and Corbett and Whitten gets the nod based on his UAA ties.
Damon is a nice guy.

davyd83
04-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Certainly is. Good guy, solid coach excellent communicator and very energetic. Plus he's had the experience working with Mel Pearson over the past two years and developing his recruiting network, which is very strong in BC. It's obvious that Mel thought a lot of Damon, keeping him on staff when taking over and bringing Billy Muckalt and Steve Shields, both Michigan guys, along.

UAA Seawolves Fan
04-17-2013, 05:14 PM
The search committee was obviously COMPLETELY CLUELESS as to the systemic problems that have kept UAA at the bottom. Sad sad sad sad sad day for UAA Hockey.
Clueless or not, when the search committee is comprised of people that have somebody to please in the end, they have to vote by party lines. Coaches that report to somebody, holding the purse strings and their potential future tenure, better play nicely and not have independent thoughts. (Politics/Business/The Real World 101)

Damon is a nice guy.
So was Shyiak. Nice guy doesn't always mean good/successful coach. Not saying he's not a worthy contender, but we can't choose a coach because they are a nice guy (assuming that they don't go the other end of the spectrum and turn into a Talafous either though)

hockeynut
04-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Brown is a waste of a plane ticket and lodging....

Corbett hands down!

Suze
04-17-2013, 05:39 PM
It seems like when Talafous was hired, one of the requirements for the job was DI coaching experience. Tally was a DIII coach, and we got a DIII quality coach. I can't believe UAA is accepting, as a finalist, guys with no DI experience. Blair would have better than Brown or Heenan.

If you look at the search committee that Maine appointed to find their new head coach, it makes UAA's committee look pretty pathetic. Same old, same old. Ugh. My bet is on Corbett. Whitten bolted once already.

davyd83
04-17-2013, 05:47 PM
It seems like when Talafous was hired, one of the requirements for the job was DI coaching experience. Tally was a DIII coach, and we got a DIII quality coach. I can't believe UAA is accepting, as a finalist, guys with no DI experience. Blair would have better than Brown or Heenan.

If you look at the search committee that Maine appointed to find their new head coach, it makes UAA's committee look pretty pathetic. Same old, same old. Ugh. My bet is on Corbett. Whitten bolted once already.He left for more money and a chance to work at his alma mater. Can you blame him? It's interesting how people who want to get rid of one coach will hold it against another for leaving for a better opportunity. Is loyalty a one way street in sports?

davyd83
04-17-2013, 05:49 PM

If you look at the search committee that Maine appointed to find their new head coach, it makes UAA's committee look pretty pathetic. Same old, same old. Ugh. My bet is on Corbett. Whitten bolted once already.Talafous had D-I coaching experience as an assistant for 5 years at Minnesota prior to taking the River Falls job.

Dutchfan
04-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Heenan is a disaster. He was at Union for a whopping four days back in 2005 before he shot his mouth off and Leaman asked him to leave. Thankfully, he was replaced with Rick Bennett, but it's downright scary to think that Union was that close to never going on this recent run of success.

Union hired Gary Heenan as an assistant hockey coach on Monday, and four days later he resigned to return to his former post as head coach of Utica College. Heenan's resignation came after meeting with Union head coach Nate Leaman on Wednesday and Thursday to discuss comments Heenan made to Utica Observer-Dispatch sports writer Craig Muder for an article published in Tuesday's edition. In that article, Heenan said:

• "The obvious progression is to become the second assistant, but there you do a lot of grunt work and I felt I was beyond that professionally."

• "I envisioned myself going to a much larger school than Union. But with a first assistant's position and going with a coach that's in demand like Nate, that was attractive to me. Nate just coached the under-18 team to a gold medal. I don't think he'll be there all that long."

Leaman read the article online Tuesday evening and was concerned about some of the quotes. He met with Heenan in Schenectady on Wednesday and Heenan also met with Union Director of Athletics Jim McLaughlin. Leaman and Heenan met again on Thursday at which time it was decided that Heenan would resign from his new position and return to be the head coach at Utica, a Division III program. "Comments in the article caused some concern that there may be some disrespect to Union College, the alums of the hockey program that have worn the jersey with a lot of pride, myself, and assistant coach Bill Riga," Leaman said. "It's an honor to be involved with Union College and its hockey program. I am very happy with the direction of the administration and our program. I'm proud of the opportunity to help lead the program, as well as the players and coaches that have come before us in the history of this program." Leaman plans to resume his search for an assistant immediately.

http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Archives/News/update_0342.htm

Seawolf Fan
04-17-2013, 05:52 PM
The division 3 guys? Neither of whom is a winner even at that level?
Whitten's UAA ties? Was he the bottom assistant here for 1 or 2 seasons? Bailed at the 1st opportunity.
Corbett is the obvious choice.

seawolfpunk
04-17-2013, 05:55 PM
The division 3 guys? Neither of whom is a winner even at that level?
Whitten's UAA ties? Was he the bottom assistant here for 1 or 2 seasons? Bailed at the 1st opportunity.
Corbett is the obvious choice.

yes whitten was at the bottom, but he did manage to get guys like Sean Wiles & Craig Parkinson to come play here from what i was told.