Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official 2013 Oswego State Post/Pre-Season Thread - "Love All, Serve All"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Official 2013 Oswego State Post/Pre-Season Thread - "Love All, Serve All"...

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
    Correct, Oswego no longer offers the $5,700 a year Renewable International Student Undergraduate Scholarships.
    Thank you as always Norm....
    Remy Babineaux
    remyb616@gmail.com
    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

• Re: The Official 2013 Oswego State Post/Pre-Season Thread - "Love All, Serve All"...

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
      Correct, Oswego no longer offers the $5,700 a year Renewable International Student Undergraduate Scholarships.
      And to compare with Plattsburgh... using the International Student Scholarship and Cost Calculator yields a result that includes an "International Campus Community Award". For most countries of origin, this award is valued at $2,500 (although many get between $2,500 and $5,000 in a "Supplemental Income Award"). However, the two exceptions I have found to the value of $2,500 are Canada and Cuba, both of which see their residents receive an "International Campus Community Award" of $5,000.
      Plattsburgh CARDINALS
      SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
      ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
      NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
      NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
      NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
      NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Yes, the international scholarship is gone, but it may well be replaced with other things. The merit scholarships Oswego offers aren't insignificant and my experience with the hockey players I've met has been that they are generally very intelligent guys who could easily qualify for a lot of these scholarships.

Also note that a bunch of those American recruits we got aren't from NY. In fact, 5 out of 7 are from out of state. These 5 guys could easily qualify for the Residential Scholarship if their grades are half decent. Even some of the Canadian guys could qualify if they become "registered aliens" by either getting a green card or by being in the U.S. for 183 days over a 3-year-period including this year, with at least 31 of those days in this year. That $32,000 Residential Scholarship can have a real effect on recruiting efforts. To be fair, by them being out of state students they still have to pay a higher tuition rate. But that would've been the case anyway at pretty much every high-performing public school in D3 (think Platty or Wisc. EC), and they likely would've had to pay even more than that at a private school.

Also keep in mind that qualifying for the Residential Scholarship doesn't preclude you from any of the other scholarships either. When I went to Oswego, I got a Residential as well as a Dean's scholarship. The guys we recruited that were in-state get discounted tuition that schools like WEC or Mass-Boston can't match. Of course Platty and Oswego can compete on equal grounds here. But if a top prospect is looking for a D3 team to go to, teams in their own home state definitely have a significant advantage due to lower in-state tuition, public schools have a significant advantage over public schools by just having cheaper tuition (especially SUNY schools), and Oswego can use the residential scholarship to its advantage to snag guys from out-of-state and from Canada.

So besides having a winning record, great staff, great facilities, and offering a quality education, Oswego can offer the following to prospects financially:
        New yorkers: In-state tuition, merit scholarships depending on grades
        Out-of-staters: Residential scholarship, other merit scholarships depending on grades
        Canadians: Possibly residential scholarship with some finangling, other merit scholarships depending on grades

The only real group that Oswego is going to have trouble competing with is out-of-staters from Wisconsin or other states that have public schools with competitive d3 hockey programs.

Comment

• Originally posted by toto238 View Post
          Yes, the international scholarship is gone, but it may well be replaced with other things. The merit scholarships Oswego offers aren't insignificant and my experience with the hockey players I've met has been that they are generally very intelligent guys who could easily qualify for a lot of these scholarships.

Also note that a bunch of those American recruits we got aren't from NY. In fact, 5 out of 7 are from out of state. These 5 guys could easily qualify for the Residential Scholarship if their grades are half decent. Even some of the Canadian guys could qualify if they become "registered aliens" by either getting a green card or by being in the U.S. for 183 days over a 3-year-period including this year, with at least 31 of those days in this year. That $32,000 Residential Scholarship can have a real effect on recruiting efforts. To be fair, by them being out of state students they still have to pay a higher tuition rate. But that would've been the case anyway at pretty much every high-performing public school in D3 (think Platty or Wisc. EC), and they likely would've had to pay even more than that at a private school.

Also keep in mind that qualifying for the Residential Scholarship doesn't preclude you from any of the other scholarships either. When I went to Oswego, I got a Residential as well as a Dean's scholarship. The guys we recruited that were in-state get discounted tuition that schools like WEC or Mass-Boston can't match. Of course Platty and Oswego can compete on equal grounds here. But if a top prospect is looking for a D3 team to go to, teams in their own home state definitely have a significant advantage due to lower in-state tuition, public schools have a significant advantage over public schools by just having cheaper tuition (especially SUNY schools), and Oswego can use the residential scholarship to its advantage to snag guys from out-of-state and from Canada.

So besides having a winning record, great staff, great facilities, and offering a quality education, Oswego can offer the following to prospects financially:
          New yorkers: In-state tuition, merit scholarships depending on grades
          Out-of-staters: Residential scholarship, other merit scholarships depending on grades
          Canadians: Possibly residential scholarship with some finangling, other merit scholarships depending on grades

The only real group that Oswego is going to have trouble competing with is out-of-staters from Wisconsin or other states that have public schools with competitive d3 hockey programs.
          Thats nice and all but the majority of quality players are from Canada...
          Remy Babineaux
          remyb616@gmail.com
          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
            Thats nice and all but the majority of quality players are from Canada...
            Thus why the Residential Scholarship may come in handy. Also, Oswego is physically very close to Ontario, which may appeal to many prospects that would like a short ride home.

Comment

ugh I have been on this site for a few yrs only, and man as stated b4 this horse is dead and processed...it is what it is, and was what it was,as Yogi said "its like de-ja-vous all over again

Comment

Originally posted by DIIIFan View Post
                Nice Clip of this young man. Hoefully his skills will carry over could be the next Bomber McFall from years past.

Oswego '88
                If hes anything like my d partner he will be a BIG help..

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                  I defer to your sources as I have no direct knowledge - I was just asking questions...so I should not be surprised they got answered...

I enjoy watching college hockey...probably not as many games as you and I don't pretend to know more about the game - I'm just a fan...an Oswego fan first, but also a fan of Coach Emery and his body of work at Plattsburgh...I don't make predictions...no need to take the conversation down a few pegs...

Twitter post today - RJ Berra leaving Oz after 2 yrs, transferring to Marian University...must be a helluva financial package...
                  Berra never seemed to put it together,he had nice stats coming out of the top jr league BCHL, but couldnt really break the line-up, I think hes closer to home and will see a lot more ice time..good luck to him,also think that he would have been a contributor to this yrs team...ow well

Comment

• Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                    ugh I have been on this site for a few yrs only, and man as stated b4 this horse is dead and processed...it is what it is, and was what it was,as Yogi said "its like de-ja-vous all over again
                    How is it dead? This is the first year Oswego has lost the grant....
                    Remy Babineaux
                    remyb616@gmail.com
                    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

the su bject of the FA has been covered at nauseum?? from what I rememeber kind of like the 87 season......how many more days Remy??

Comment

• Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                        Actually they lost it last year
                        http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
                          Actually they lost it last year
                          Exactly...announced in April, I think.
                          LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

• Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                            Exactly...announced in April, I think.
                            But its the first real recruiting class who we will see the affect on is the point....
                            Remy Babineaux
                            remyb616@gmail.com
                            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

• Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                              But its the first real recruiting class who we will see the affect on is the point....
                              I think it had an affect on last year's. Oswego lost at least 1 and I think multiple guys that were reported to be coming. Plus it also probably didn't do any favors to adding any internationals from that point forward.
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Ahhhh....yes - point taken.
                                LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Working...
                                X