Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official 2013 Oswego State Post/Pre-Season Thread - "Love All, Serve All"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Official 2013 Oswego State Post/Pre-Season Thread - "Love All, Serve All"...

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
    Here we go.....

come on bak....you're trying to compare 30+ years ago....of course leather skates and leather helmets weren't that expensive back then.

It's really not that hard to explain....(Note these numbers are just tossed up in the air but its a general idea)

Prior years
    Tuition: $10,000
    FA Package: -$4,000
    Total Cost: $6,000 per year

Now
    Tuition: $10,000
    FA Package: $0
    Total Cost: $10,000 per year

Now why was it not a big deal last year? Like I said you had 18? seniors who had just 1 year left to suck up that $4,000....

Newcomers

Prior Years
    Tuition: $10,000 x 4 = $40,000
    FA Package: -$4,000 x 4 = -$16,000
    Total Cost: $24,000

Tuition: $10,000 x 4 = $40,000
    FA Package: $0
    Total Cost: $40,000

Prior Years Tuition : $24,000
    Now with no aide : $40,000

Is Oswego still a great college for $40,000? Yes. HOWEVER

When School B, who is similiar academics, hockey status (top team ect), is offering a 4 year tuition cost of the still $24,000 ....saving $16,000 is HUGE is some/most peoples eyes...thus players who, when $$$ was equal, would have became a Laker in a heartbeat, now will take a second and third look at other schools to save some $$$.

My point was last year a $4,000 hit is tough (as some of the girls found), but for those 18 seniors who were on a mission, $4,000 well spent. NOW you are asking new players to cough up an extra $16,000 then at other schools (of similar rank/value). For some and extra $16,000 isn't a "big deal"....for others, they can't/don't want to spend the extra $16,000 and will go to another school who IS still offering the $4,000 FA package.

This DOES NOT affect aide for New York kids however, and we will really see just how good of a coach Gosek is if he doesn't get his 5-star recruits and has to coach a bunch of "B" players. Oswego will still find a "diamond in the rough" but loading up on 5-star recruits is probably not going to happen. State schools are highly affected by the loss of this more so then private schools who has more ability to "tinker" with tuition and FA packages as long as it's divided equally (see NCHA/WIAC split)
    funny stuff but my first pair of skates were Ridells,10 bucks at sears and my mom almost got divorced because she " spent how much money on a pair of skates".dad was a teacher not much cash around with 6 in the house..anyway thnks for the schooling, pun intended,on financial aide, I guess if all that is true, Coach G will have to get more USA players and spend less time North of the border.....who knows as long as we can compete and not get embarrassed on a nightly basis...should be interesting

Comment

• Re: The Official 2013 Oswego State Post/Pre-Season Thread - "Love All, Serve All"...

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
      funny stuff but my first pair of skates were Ridells,10 bucks at sears and my mom almost got divorced because she " spent how much money on a pair of skates".dad was a teacher not much cash around with 6 in the house..anyway thnks for the schooling, pun intended,on financial aide, I guess if all that is true, Coach G will have to get more USA players and spend less time North of the border.....who knows as long as we can compete and not get embarrassed on a nightly basis...should be interesting
      Exactly my point. Oswego will not become a cellar dweller in the SUNYAC or DIII. Yes they will have a fighting chance, but Laker fans of late have become accustom to "see you in Lake Placid" type seasons. Losing 9-10 games a season is just not allowed in the minds of some current Laker fans. Get use to it. I don't think you will see Oswego a .500 SUNYAC team, but they will not run the tables like they have as of late. This isn't "the sky is falling" but its no longer the Yellow Brick Road....
      Remy Babineaux
      remyb616@gmail.com
      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Back to the numbers....

When Redlight got accepted (but did not go), Oswego offered him an out of state room and board discount (increased diversity). Wouldn't the Canadians also get that discount?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
          Exactly my point. Oswego will not become a cellar dweller in the SUNYAC or DIII. Yes they will have a fighting chance, but Laker fans of late have become accustom to "see you in Lake Placid" type seasons. Losing 9-10 games a season is just not allowed in the minds of some current Laker fans. Get use to it. I don't think you will see Oswego a .500 SUNYAC team, but they will not run the tables like they have as of late. This isn't "the sky is falling" but its no longer the Yellow Brick Road....
          Some of the OSW faithful equate a 4-3 win over a team like Cortland with a loss...
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
            Some of the OSW faithful equate a 4-3 win over a team like Cortland with a loss...
            not this one....a wins a win tak'em when ya can

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post

Still better than a 0-5 shutout loss......just saying. ...
              Remy Babineaux
              remyb616@gmail.com
              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Back to the numbers....

When Redlight got accepted (but did not go), Oswego offered him an out of state room and board discount (increased diversity). Wouldn't the Canadians also get that discount?
                Possibly, but it's crucial to remember that it doesn't matter if he was Canadian or not. Every single sanction we've seen over the past few seasons has been a result of athletes receiving aid at a rate disproportionate to that of the general student body. Whether those athletes happen to be from Alberta or New Mexico doesn't really matter, but due to the (for obvious reasons) amount of Canadian hockey players, it hasn't been uncommon for Canadian-specific aid to be a contributing or even driving factor behind the disparity in aid the NCAA has cracked down on -- when it comes to hockey.

That stated, the important thing to remember is that regardless of the sport in question it doesn't matter where the disparity comes from. In hockey it happens to have been associated with Canadians because that's where the talent pool exists. In other sports, where far more sanctions have been leveled than in DIII hockey, the players happen to be from different talent-rich areas. Bottom line is that the aid distribution to athletes has to match that of the general student population. It doesn't really matter if the kids are from Canada, or Kansas, or Estonia, or the Faroe Islands, or anywhere else one could think of.
                Last edited by XYZ; 05-18-2013, 01:41 AM.
                I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                  Possibly, but it's crucial to remember that it doesn't matter if he was Canadian or not. Every single sanction we've seen over the past few seasons has been a result of athletes receiving aid at a rate disproportionate to that of the general student body. Whether those athletes happen to be from Alberta or New Mexico doesn't really matter, but due to the (for obvious reasons) amount of Canadian hockey players, it hasn't been uncommon for Canadian-specific aid to be a contributing or even driving factor behind the disparity in aid the NCAA has cracked down on -- when it comes to hockey.

That stated, the important thing to remember is that regardless of the sport in question it doesn't matter where the disparity comes from. In hockey it happens to have been associated with Canadians because that's where the talent pool exists. In other sports, where far more sanctions have been leveled than in DIII hockey, the players happen to be from different talent-rich areas. Bottom line is that the aid distribution to athletes has to match that of the general student population. It doesn't really matter if the kids are from Canada, or Kansas, or Estonia, or the Faroe Islands, or anywhere else one could think of.
                  well written...makes sense to me

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                    now thats on campus info...hopefully
                    ...18 new bodies "committed" (whatever that means these days in D3) and a "few" more in final haggling...
                    LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                      ...18 new bodies "committed" (whatever that means these days in D3) and a "few" more in final haggling...
                      wow, as per the commitment website ,only 12 on there,so thats 6 more and as you said a few more in haggle mode,makes sense, go after 20ish guys when ya need 18ish,as you said committed in D3???...okgreat work thanks I guess we will find out more as we go....thats a lot of new guys for sure, should make for very interesting pink fluffy bunny practice

Comment

• Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                        Break out the mite hockey scotch tape for the helmets in October for all those new faces Eddie!
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Do we know who the captains will be for next year?
                          http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
                            Do we know who the captains will be for next year?
                            Titanic will wear the C...
                            LakerEagleLover

Comment

This was a special class on the ice, but equally as impressive was their work off the ice and in the community....14 seniors, 13 graduated Saturday...the 14th has more than enough overall credits, but changed majors and needs a couple more classes for the degree. Great players...better men.
                              LakerEagleLover

Comment

• Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                                This was a special class on the ice, but equally as impressive was their work off the ice and in the community....14 seniors, 13 graduated Saturday...the 14th has more than enough overall credits, but changed majors and needs a couple more classes for the degree. Great players...better men.
                                +1

Comment

Working...
                                X