Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEA early semi-final. pc & ul-i went to a hockey game and a tennis match broke out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
    So as promised earlier this week and in honor of UML/PC meeting in the HE semis for the first time ever, here is a synopsis of the origins of The Alliance at the first HE Championships held at the Providence Civic Center in 1985 where Terreri was "Extra-Terrerial" and PC won in 20T.

Lowell had upset UNH in quarterfinals to earn a spot vs. BC in the semi-finals. Lowell proceeds to get screwed by refs in BC game when they score what appears to be a goal to put Lowell up by 2 and seemingly on their way to HE championship game. However, refs call mystery penalty, goal taken away, BC ties Lowell, and then goes ahead to win 6-5. So naturally we're a little bit ticked sitting there (NOTE: this is also the origin of the Hockey East is Fixed cheer which we originated at that game). So with the final the next night being PC and BC, we decide we hate BC so much that we're going to have some fun during the championship game.

After losing to BU in consolation game the next night, we proceed to take our Lowell signs which we had hung for our game and flip them around to reveal new signs we had made earlier in the day, things like "Lowell Loves Friars" and "Beat BC" (I think we may have even had a giant Ken Hodge, Jr. report card since he was known for not getting the best grades at BC). Decked out in full Lowell garb, we proceed to march around the concourse with the signs chanting PC cheers and go right to the Providence student section and pretty much take it over. The PC fans particularly liked our "How's your grades Hodge, how's your grades...clap, clap" cheer.

So for the entire championship game, Lowell fans basically led the cheers for the entire Providence student section. In between periods, Providence fans are coming up to us, thanking us and so forth, noting that they didn't think anyone else hated BC as much as they did, etc. So we end up finding ourselves in the middle of this classic game that goes to 2OTs and when Providence wins, we're removing a section of glass and helping the Providence students through it and on to the ice. Had multiple offers inviting us all back to campus to celebrate but we were beat and just hit the road back to MA after the long night.

So that's the origins of "The Alliance" in a nutshell. If NESN ever shows this game again as they sometimes do, you can see a bunch of us in ULowell Chief garb in the midst of the Providence fans.
    I think Ned Bunyan was a ref in at least one of those games.

Comment

Re: HEA early semi-final. pc & ul-i went to a hockey game and a tennis match broke ou

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
      I think Ned Bunyan was a ref in at least one of those games.
      That wasn't Baby Ned (current Bunyon), I think it was Daddy Ned. Baby Ned wasn't reffing yet.

Nostalgic for when the refs all had nicknames and chants that went with them. We had the Muffinman, Fitzy, Gravelhead. My favorite was when Gravelhead first became a dad. We used to shout for him to show us pics of the Pebble in warm ups at the Tully. One time he whipped out his wallet and opened it so the little plastic picture accordian cascaded out. It was classic Have met him outside, when he is not reffing- he is a great guy and has a wicked sense of humor no matter how you think he refs.

Comment

Re: HEA early semi-final. pc & ul-i went to a hockey game and a tennis match broke ou

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        Saving him for the championship game. Gravelhead and Officer Benny. Saturday promises to be such fun.
        Exactly.

My favorite part of when Grav refs is there is a certain BC writer who shares the last name and that causes the tin foil hats to come out.

Quite enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
          . My favorite was when Gravelhead first became a dad. We used to shout for him to show us pics of the Pebble in warm ups at the Tully. One time he whipped out his wallet and opened it so the little plastic picture accordian cascaded out. It was classic Have met him outside, when he is not reffing- he is a great guy and has a wicked sense of humor no matter how you think he refs.
          Yup.
          FOR YEARS now, Mookie has been hoping upon hope that nesn will do a reality show "Laying Gravel" and follow him around. Get his day during the season with snippets of games with him mic'd up.

****ing genius that Mookie if you ask me...
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
            Exactly.

My favorite part of when Grav refs is there is a certain BC writer who shares the last name and that causes the tin foil hats to come out.

Quite enjoyable.
            That writer is actually a good friend of mine. So easy to get to him!
            Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
            2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
            2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
              That wasn't Baby Ned (current Bunyon), I think it was Daddy Ned. Baby Ned wasn't reffing yet.

Nostalgic for when the refs all had nicknames and chants that went with them. We had the Muffinman, Fitzy, Gravelhead. My favorite was when Gravelhead first became a dad. We used to shout for him to show us pics of the Pebble in warm ups at the Tully. One time he whipped out his wallet and opened it so the little plastic picture accordian cascaded out. It was classic Have met him outside, when he is not reffing- he is a great guy and has a wicked sense of humor no matter how you think he refs.
              As I recall, daddy was Ned and baby is Jeff.

Comment

If anyone still needs tickets I have four in the Club for tomorrow night. Ticapnews(@)gmail.com

Comment

You are correct sir.

Tournament Time!
                  Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

For people planning to take train from Lowell. http://www.mbta.com/rider_tools/tran...Lowell#details

Lowell Line train svc disruption on Saturday.

Comment

• Re: HEA early semi-final. pc & ul-i went to a hockey game and a tennis match broke ou

Originally posted by Fishhawk View Post
                      For people planning to take train from Lowell. http://www.mbta.com/rider_tools/tran...Lowell#details

Lowell Line train svc disruption on Saturday.
                      Dead link
                      Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                      Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                      "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                      KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

• Re: HEA early semi-final. pc & ul-i went to a hockey game and a tennis match broke ou

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
                        Dead link
                        http://www.mbta.com/rider_tools/tran...Lowell#details
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

correct but we always called him baby ned

Comment

It's almost Friday!
                            Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                            Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                            Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

The Alliance is going to be on hold for a few hours at the Garden. If PC wins I will be their biggest fan on Saturday. I hope the PC fans will feel the same way if Lowell wins. BC and BU can go f themselves!
                              Let's go Lowell.

Comment

Preview of UML-PC semifinal game at SBNation.

http://sbn.to/16MyM3c
                                https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                                Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Working...
                                X