Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol XXV: There's Hope! Or whatever...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol XXV: There's Hope! Or whatever...

Derek Lee confirmed to me tonight that he tore his MCL vs Penn State. I had a good source tell me that before, but Lee asked to keep it quiet, so I did until he told me officially tonight. Said he wanted to keep it out of the media during the season because he wanted to keep the focus on the guys on the ice. Kid is all class, and will be missed.

Originally posted by Badgerice View Post
    Chuck what or who is your resource on the Kings making a hard push for Mersch?
    Kings GM Dean Lombardi told the LA Media today that they want to sit down with Mersch and talk to him about coming out. Lack of organizational depth at LW, so they are looking to sign him.

LINK to a brief article I wrote today on the topic.

Update: College hockey source says Mersch isn't going anywhere.
    Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 04-03-2013, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
      Derek Lee confirmed to me tonight that he tore his MCL vs Penn State. I had a good source tell me that before, but Lee asked to keep it quiet, so I did until he told me officially tonight. Said he wanted to keep it out of the media during the season because he wanted to keep the focus on the guys on the ice. Kid is all class, and will be missed.

Kings GM Dean Lombardi told the LA Media today that they want to sit down with Mersch and talk to him about coming out. Lack of organizational depth at LW, so they are looking to sign him.

LINK to a brief article I wrote today on the topic.

Update: College hockey source says Mersch isn't going anywhere.
      the way we saw lee was trying to walk around during the st clown and duluth series in madison you knew he wouldn't be skating the rest of this season...best of luck to this young man on his recovery

supposedly Mersch's mom said he wasn't leaving early......a few million dollars can change a few minds
      Last edited by DoorCtyBadgers; 04-04-2013, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoorCtyBadgers View Post
        the way we saw lee was trying to walk around during the st clown and duluth series in madison you knew he wouldn't be skating the rest of this season...best of luck to this young man on his recovery

supposedly Mersch's mom said he wasn't leaving early......a few million dollars can change a few minds
        The thing is...those few million will be there next Summer too (and you buy insurance to protect against an injury). An entry level contract will give you some signing bonus (50-100K) and an annual salary somewhere around a million a year, but if you are playing in the AHL that annual salary is reduced to 60-70K (which isn't bad money by any means...but still far from millions). Mersch would not be hurt by staying at UW, continuing to improve on his skating so he can have faster success at the next level, and have the potential leverage/flexibility that comes with being 4 years removed from high school and having the ability to become a free agent in the following August if he so choses.

The Kings can sell organizational need at LW, but that can change in the blink of an eye in free agency or trades and I'm not sure organizationally they are THAT bad anyways. Penner is a pending UFA, otherwise everyone else that has been playing LW is back. Add in the fact that at Center the Kings are committed long term to Richards, Kopitar, Stoll, and likely Lewis once his RFA status gets worked out this Summer...left handed Centers like Nolan will be playing LW. One of the better Kings prospects is Tanner Pearson, a LW taken in the 1st round the year after Mersch was drafted and he is having a pretty good season in the AHL. I can almost guarantee that the Kings either resign Penner (at a significantly reduced rate) or take his cap hit and go out and get a decent LW (or 2). The Kings organizational issues at LW are in the AHL at best and Mersch isn't going to make big coin playing in the AHL. That said, I never saw Stepan and Craig Smith going straight to the NHL and basically sticking...so I've been wrong before.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
          The thing is...those few million will be there next Summer too (and you buy insurance to protect against an injury). An entry level contract will give you some signing bonus (50-100K) and an annual salary somewhere around a million a year, but if you are playing in the AHL that annual salary is reduced to 60-70K (which isn't bad money by any means...but still far from millions). Mersch would not be hurt by staying at UW, continuing to improve on his skating so he can have faster success at the next level, and have the potential leverage/flexibility that comes with being 4 years removed from high school and having the ability to become a free agent in the following August if he so choses.

The Kings can sell organizational need at LW, but that can change in the blink of an eye in free agency or trades and I'm not sure organizationally they are THAT bad anyways. Penner is a pending UFA, otherwise everyone else that has been playing LW is back. Add in the fact that at Center the Kings are committed long term to Richards, Kopitar, Stoll, and likely Lewis once his RFA status gets worked out this Summer...left handed Centers like Nolan will be playing LW. One of the better Kings prospects is Tanner Pearson, a LW taken in the 1st round the year after Mersch was drafted and he is having a pretty good season in the AHL. I can almost guarantee that the Kings either resign Penner (at a significantly reduced rate) or take his cap hit and go out and get a decent LW (or 2). The Kings organizational issues at LW are in the AHL at best and Mersch isn't going to make big coin playing in the AHL. That said, I never saw Stepan and Craig Smith going straight to the NHL and basically sticking...so I've been wrong before.
          Mersch's signing bonus as a 2011 draft pick will be between $225k-$275k. (3 year ELC, $75-92k signing bonus per season). At worst with signing bonus money he's making $135k each of the next three seasons if he signs.
          Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 04-04-2013, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Anybody care to speculate as to Derek Lee's future in hockey?
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Mersch's signing bonus as a 2011 draft pick will be between $225k-$275k. (3 year ELC, $75-92k signing bonus per season). At worst with signing bonus money he's making $135k each of the next three seasons if he signs.
              Which is good money for sure. I just don't see Mersch sticking at the NHL level next season in which case there is a big difference between 150K and a million a year. Instead of playing in front of 5800 in Manchester, he can play in front of double that, get his degree, and work on his skating so he has a chance to actually play in the NHL the following season. Wish I had his choice, as neither one is exactly bad.

Comment

Wisconsin will open up next season once again with Northern Michigan, Oct. 11-12 at the Kohl Center.

What we know so far:

Northern Michigan (home) Oct. 11-12
                @ Miami Nov.15-16
                Colorado College (home) Dec. 13-14
                Alabama-Huntsville (home) Dec. 27-28.

Still need dates for:

Lake Superior State (home)
                Alaska Anchorage (home)
                Boston College (road, one game only)
                Boston University (road, one game only)
                Last edited by Chuck Schwartz; 04-04-2013, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Wisconsin will open up next season once again with Northern Michigan, Oct. 11-12 at the Kohl Center.
                  Home football game against Northwestern that weekend. Might be homecoming.

Should be fun!

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post

those few million will be there next summer provided he doesnt get hurt or some other disaster happens.....nobody knows what the future holds and your future is always today if you have the talent and opportunity

Comment

Talked with Northern Michigan's beat writer Matt Wellens tonight and he confirmed that UW and NMU have a four year agreement starting this season. 13-14 in Madison, 14-15 in Green Bay (NMU host), 15-16 in Madison, 16-17 in Green Bay (NMU host). Both schools can opt out after two years.

What do you guys think? Road games in Green Bay are hard to argue with.

Comment

Talked with Northern Michigan's beat writer Matt Wellens tonight and he confirmed that UW and NMU have a four year agreement starting this season. 13-14 in Madison, 14-15 in Green Bay (NMU host), 15-16 in Madison, 16-17 in Green Bay (NMU host). Both schools can opt out after two years.

like ya said cant argue with that scheduling its like getting 8 home games, that is if the badger fans will actually show up and support thier team.....besides the resch center is a great hockey venue

Comment

It's been an on and off rivalry with the move of NMU in and out of the WCHA over the years but I like this idea
                          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

The Resch Center is a great place to watch hockey and going every other year is doable. I like the agreement.
                            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Great news. This will also help keep the Resch Center in Green Bay in the Regional rotation. Love it when the Badgers come to Green Bay.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                                The Resch Center is a great place to watch hockey and going every other year is doable. I like the agreement.
                                Originally posted by D3 Phan View Post
                                Great news. This will also help keep the Resch Center in Green Bay in the Regional rotation. Love it when the Badgers come to Green Bay.

Not only is the Resch a nice hockey venue, it's also located in a great place to set up shop for a weekend. Lambeau and Curly's right there and all the other bars and restaurants. Can't get much better for a "road" series.

Hope to get to one of these. Hopefully the Packers will be out of town so the hotels are reasonable although two Badger games plus a Packer game on the way out of town would be EPIC.

Comment

Working...
                                X