Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol XXV: There's Hope! Or whatever...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol XXV: There's Hope! Or whatever...

Also posted this over on the game thread.
    Congratulations to Wisconsin on a nice season. Good luck in the Big 10 next season. Hopefully it's not another 25 years before these teams meet again.
    It would be nice to see the Badgers in Lowell in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post

I suspect that UW played well enough to beat at least 10 of the other tournament teams, they unfortunately caught on of the 4 that they couldn't with their A- game when Lowell brought their A game across the board.
      I wouldn't say we had our A- game in all areas. Thought the offense looked good and created chances, but the neutral zone and transition game were very porous and bad by our standards.

Rumpel didn't have a great game either. Sure, he got hung out a few times, but sometimes the goalie needs to stand on his head or bail out his mates and Rumpel didn't yesterday.

Not trying to be critical of the team, but that wasn't our A- game yesterday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        I wouldn't say we had our A- game in all areas. Thought the offense looked good and created chances, but the neutral zone and transition game were very porous and bad by our standards.

Rumpel didn't have a great game either. Sure, he got hung out a few times, but sometimes the goalie needs to stand on his head or bail out his mates and Rumpel didn't yesterday.

Not trying to be critical of the team, but that wasn't our A- game yesterday.
        To me, the difference wasn't so much in the Badgers play compared to the rest of the playoffs was the play of Lowell compared to the WCHA teams.

Comment

Also posted this over on the game thread.
          Congratulations to Wisconsin on a nice season. Good luck in the Big 10 next season. Hopefully it's not another 25 years before these teams meet again.
          It would be nice to see the Badgers in Lowell in the near future.

Comment

To me, the difference wasn't so much in the Badgers play compared to the rest of the playoffs was the play of Lowell compared to the WCHA teams.

Lowell's got it working no question. I watched much of the HE Tourney last weekend and they were a team I didn't want to face in the first game. Unfortunate draw for us.

Comment

Ahhhh.....it appears the WCHA sucks. "The Boys Formerly Named Sue" and the "Rodents" both lose to Yale the last team in???? Denver appears to be goons and the UW can't score one on nobody. Thank God for SCSU. Qinnipiac appeared to be overated...what a shock!!!! Guess it is good most good teams are leaving WCHA. We can put that history behind us.

Let's start a thread about how the Big 10 (6?) is better than HE and the ECAC and the lack of history means nothing. Whatya think?

Comment

I would agree with this. Wisconsin actually out-shot Lowell and dominated large stretches of zone time, but Lowell's transition game was incredible. There hasn't been a team in the WCHA all season that has consistently made UW's defenseman look that bad through the neutral zone. 24 and 55 had especially tough days on the defensive side and that wasn't expected. A lot of credit goes to Lowell for their speed and transition game -- and their ability to finish on their opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                  I would agree with this. Wisconsin actually out-shot Lowell and dominated large stretches of zone time, but Lowell's transition game was incredible. There hasn't been a team in the WCHA all season that has consistently made UW's defenseman look that bad through the neutral zone. 24 and 55 had especially tough days on the defensive side and that wasn't expected. A lot of credit goes to Lowell for their speed and transition game -- and their ability to finish on their opportunities.
                  They basically bet that their offense vs. our goalie was better than our offense vs their goalie. They shot people out to get odd man rushes knowing they would be giving up a number of their own. I believe UW had at least 10 3-2 rushes, several 2-1, at least one or two breakaways, a penalty shot and 5 power plays, not to mention the number of times we had someone lined up for a good shot on the back door or in the slot. We just couldn't put it in the net as well as they did. Their goalie was good but more often than not it was our shooting.

This team got the most out of their talent. A great run, but eventually you will hit a team that can exploit your weakness. Basically the same way BC did it in 2010. We'll see if the coaching staff can start to correct this next year. I have my doubts. And we will have to watch the 2014-15 recruiting class.

Comment

BC is down 5-0 to Union. So far for the Frozen Four we have UML & Yale. Tomorrow we get one of Union/Quinnipiac and one of St. Cloud State/Miami.

Some of these teams have been highly ranked all year, a couple have been on the upswing for a few years, but from a historical perspective you have to say who the *%# are these guys???
                    Wisconsin Badgers

National Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90 & 2006

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky! View Post
                      BC is down 5-0 to Union. So far for the Frozen Four we have UML & Yale. Tomorrow we get one of Union/Quinnipiac and one of St. Cloud State/Miami.

Some of these teams have been highly ranked all year, a couple have been on the upswing for a few years, but from a historical perspective you have to say who the *%# are these guys???
                      my Dad and I got rid of our FF tickets a few weeks back. I hope it sells out but man no matter who makes it now from the remaining two games that field from a casual fan's perspective (not MY perspective) is quite possibly the least interesting field to ever make the FF.

I'm going to have to go all in as a temporary St. Cloud fan.

jesus did the WCHA **** the bed this year. who would've thought 4 of 6 teams would be one and dones?
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        my Dad and I got rid of our FF tickets a few weeks back. I hope it sells out but man no matter who makes it now from the remaining two games that field from a casual fan's perspective (not MY perspective) is quite possibly the least interesting field to ever make the FF.

I'm going to have to go all in as a temporary St. Cloud fan.

jesus did the WCHA **** the bed this year. who would've thought 4 of 6 teams would be one and dones?
                        I'd say it's pretty interesting, now that a first time champion is guaranteed!

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                          Of the remaining teams, SCSU is by far the least objectionable choice.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                            totally agree, I was just thinking about the casual fan, and also how this may affect promotion.

PITTSBURGH HOCKEY FANS YOU BETTER SHOW UP CAUSE THE HOCKEY WILL BE TREMENDOUS!
                            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                              totally agree, I was just thinking about the casual fan, and also how this may affect promotion.

PITTSBURGH HOCKEY FANS YOU BETTER SHOW UP CAUSE THE HOCKEY WILL BE TREMENDOUS!

I think it's great. First time in a long time that there isn't a single team that would be personally painful (in a sports-hate way) for me if they won.

Wasn't the FF in 2008 Notre Dame, Michigan, BC & NoDak?

Ugh. I could barely watch as I wanted them all to lose.

I'm starting to feel like I could root against Jan though based upon the way a few of their posters are (mis)handling their newfound level of success. I'm not really someone who roots for conference mates just coz they're in our conference anyway. Duluth being the exception, not the norm.

Comment

I could not bear to come to this site until today. I cannot believe how badly UW defended UMASS in transition. I have not seen that many odd man rushes allowed in the sum total of games of the year I saw (about 12) as I saw Friday. Just a huge disappointment to play the worst game of the year defensively by far in the biggest game yet.

Thanks to the Sr's, I wish them all well in their future endeavors.

Next year's team looks awesome on paper. I thinking it would be really cool to win the B6's inagural regular season and tourney championships. This team can do it.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X