Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol XXV: There's Hope! Or whatever...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol XXV: There's Hope! Or whatever...

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Going back to this one: our two victories against ranked teams on Thursday and Friday made our NCAA stock go up. Unfortunately, there were plenty of other teams that had their stock go up on Friday as well (courtesy of a lot of upsets).

It's a good reminder that the Pairwise rankings aren't just an indicator of what happened this weekend, but a summation of everything that happens everywhere in the country throughout the entire season.

I'm only being a little bit facetious when I say: It's a shame that this happened now, in that it means we have to keep Eaves for a few more years. We'd better get at least a Frozen Four appearance out of this, otherwise we're delaying our eventual rebuilding of the program for nothing.

We'll celebrate this now, and then wonder again in 2014 why our recruiting classes consists of one or two draft-able players and six grinders.

Much appreciated. Hope you enjoy what we bring to the regional (assuming the committee puts us there).
    Pretty warped approach "Exile". For God's sake give it a rest already. You just saw one of the great coaching jobs in many a year anywhere in college hockey. Even if they go one and done this has been a great year and a great run. Become a Minny fan if you want pretty hockey. At playoff time it matters little except to grind and tug and gut out wins. Have some respect for success. Your's is a tired old whining story. Those kids sold out and look what they did. Eaves gave them that drive and focus. No one else.

Comment

Originally posted by wjefwhite View Post
      Pretty warped approach "Exile". For God's sake give it a rest already. You just saw one of the great coaching jobs in many a year anywhere in college hockey. Even if they go one and done this has been a great year and a great run. Become a Minny fan if you want pretty hockey. At playoff time it matters little except to grind and tug and gut out wins. Have some respect for success. Your's is a tired old whining story. Those kids sold out and look what they did. Eaves gave them that drive and focus. No one else.

Dumb.

This doesn't change the 5 bad years out of the past 7.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        Dumb.

This doesn't change the 5 bad years out of the past 7.
        Yeah how dumb, someone who actually wants to cheer for his team instead if complain that they won.
        Wisconsin Hockey: What're YOU looking at?

The number of times a poster posts per day is directly correlated with how dissatisfied he is with his relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by bigus View Post
          Yeah how dumb, someone who actually wants to cheer for his team instead if complain that they won.

Telling another long time fan to "quit the act" and go cheer for the Gophers is dumb. But you support that?

This win is great and may in fact be a wonderful job of coaching. But where was that wonderful coaching when we missed the tourney 5 out of the past 7 years?

Been to the Kohl Center for a game lately? Do you think this will erase the attendance issues?

Nobody's not supporting the team. In fact, we've all been present through the turmoil. The posters who are critical of where things stand are concerned with the longterm success of the program and not blinded by a half season where a team got hot.

Comment

Haven't you guys had some turnover with assistant coaches? I know Osiecki went to OSU. Maybe that's been a factor since the 2010 title game appearance. Perhaps this is a turning point for Eaves and his program. As an outsider, I hope it is. Obviously there's the connection with his sons having played at BC, but more than that...college hockey is better when Wisconsin is good.

Comment

• Originally posted by wjefwhite View Post
              I wonder what this team would have done with good parents and quality coaching growing up. Eaves must be one hell of a miracle worker, I wonder what he could do if he didn't have to fix every single recruit!

The kids on this years team deserve ALL the credit in the world for turning the season around and winning the F5. This team ranks right up with the 05-06 team in terms of heart and desire.

Eaves also deserves all the criticism that he has EARNED from the results over the past 7 seasons. While I'm going to hold to my promise that I won't call for his termination since UW won, I will say that 2014-15 had NOT be a huge step back because he has not earned much slack in my rope yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                Telling another long time fan to "quit the act" and go cheer for the Gophers is dumb. But you support that?

This win is great and may in fact be a wonderful job of coaching. But where was that wonderful coaching when we missed the tourney 5 out of the past 7 years?

Been to the Kohl Center for a game lately? Do you think this will erase the attendance issues?

Nobody's not supporting the team. In fact, we've all been present through the turmoil. The posters who are critical of where things stand are concerned with the longterm success of the program and not blinded by a half season where a team got hot.
                Sure, I've been to the kohl center. I know a ton of people who have had to drop season tickets or reduce attendance for financial reasons. Basketball attendance is down, and they have 5times the built in fanbase. A generan of new grads, the driver of New ticket sales, can't get a job. But its all eaves fault.

5 of 7 years? Why not count this year? 05 and 06? Eaves has more title wins in his tenure than Sauer did in the comparable term at the end of his tenure, but you want to ignore 06 and 10. It's all eaves fault. Despite the fact that this team hasn't been as good as you claim it has to be in nearly 30 years. He probably time traveled.

This team does need to improve. It needs to be more consistent. The classes have to be evened out. But to pretend that all problems are.eaves fault or that he can't coach is just as stupid as claiming that none of the problems are his fault or that he's the greatest coach ever.

And yes, I do question those of you who've let your hatred of eaves overwhelm your support of the team on the ice. This team did not just get hot for half a season, it played great after an awful start with suspension, injury, and coaching change. A number of you were rooting for a loss. That's unacceptable in my book.
                Wisconsin Hockey: What're YOU looking at?

The number of times a poster posts per day is directly correlated with how dissatisfied he is with his relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  Incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by wjefwhite View Post

I'm not going to ignore the turnaround and that Eaves, Walsh and Schuey deserve a lot of credit for that. if UW loses in the first round however, I for one won't look at this as a successful season. First and foremost many people said this would be THE YEAR (upperclassmen plus 2 highly regarded frosh et al). *From that perspective* the season is a disappointment. They had to virtually run the table to get in and the fact they did it is fantastic and a huge statement to the team, but the fact they NEEDED to run the table (or almost) in the first place is what turned some (me and others) off ("hey I thought this was supposed to be THE YEAR!"). that and missing the NCAA's the prior 4 of 6 years (really should have been 5 of 6 considering the team that got in w/a losing record should not have gotten in)

with regard to the silly statement "become a minny fan if you want pretty hockey"...some of us recall with great fondness the era when UW "played pretty"/racehorse hockey. There's nothing wrong with wanting to see that return. When you see the team lose with this terribly boring defensive style it's just excruciating, when they win with it it's nail biting time almost all game long, after a while it grates on you having to watch that. it's like watching a tightrope walker for 2 hours each friday and saturday.

I'm glad the team won, and while I don't like Eaves systems and don't like his control issues I want the team to win first so if they win (while I will never become a fan of this defensive style of play) and that means Eaves keeps his job, well so be it.
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigus View Post
                      Sure, I've been to the kohl center. I know a ton of people who have had to drop season tickets or reduce attendance for financial reasons. Basketball attendance is down, and they have 5times the built in fanbase. A generan of new grads, the driver of New ticket sales, can't get a job. But its all eaves fault.

5 of 7 years? Why not count this year? 05 and 06? Eaves has more title wins in his tenure than Sauer did in the comparable term at the end of his tenure, but you want to ignore 06 and 10. It's all eaves fault. Despite the fact that this team hasn't been as good as you claim it has to be in nearly 30 years. He probably time traveled.

This team does need to improve. It needs to be more consistent. The classes have to be evened out. But to pretend that all problems are.eaves fault or that he can't coach is just as stupid as claiming that none of the problems are his fault or that he's the greatest coach ever.

And yes, I do question those of you who've let your hatred of eaves overwhelm your support of the team on the ice. This team did not just get hot for half a season, it played great after an awful start with suspension, injury, and coaching change. A number of you were rooting for a loss. That's unacceptable in my book.
                      Perfectly stated. What really annoys me is not the general "we should do better" attitude, but the specifics from the fans on what Eaves needs to do to correct the situation. Jesus, the only way to interpret that is that these fans believe they know hockey and coaching better than Eaves. With all his experience??? Hell, there isn't a player on the team who doesn't know hockey better than these fans, let alone the head coach. Just astonishing.
                      "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        I'm not going to ignore the turnaround and that Eaves, Walsh and Schuey deserve a lot of credit for that. if UW loses in the first round however, I for one won't look at this as a successful season. First and foremost many people said this would be THE YEAR (upperclassmen plus 2 highly regarded frosh et al). *From that perspective* the season is a disappointment. They had to virtually run the table to get in and the fact they did it is fantastic and a huge statement to the team, but the fact they NEEDED to run the table (or almost) in the first place is what turned some (me and others) off ("hey I thought this was supposed to be THE YEAR!"). that and missing the NCAA's the prior 4 of 6 years (really should have been 5 of 6 considering the team that got in w/a losing record should not have gotten in)

with regard to the silly statement "become a minny fan if you want pretty hockey"...some of us recall with great fondness the era when UW "played pretty"/racehorse hockey. There's nothing wrong with wanting to see that return. When you see the team lose with this terribly boring defensive style it's just excruciating, when they win with it it's nail biting time almost all game long, after a while it grates on you having to watch that. it's like watching a tightrope walker for 2 hours each friday and saturday.

I'm glad the team won, and while I don't like Eaves systems and don't like his control issues I want the team to win first so if they win (while I will never become a fan of this defensive style of play) and that means Eaves keeps his job, well so be it.
                        I disagree, regardless of what happens in the NCAAs this was a successful season, they just didn't take the easy route to success. They played well enough to have earned an at large bid. They won the Final Five for the first time in 15 years. Finished 4th (which is where they were predicted to finish) in conference play.

The abysmal start and the bewildering loss to PSU do detract from the overall season and I'm sure cloud many views on the season.

Issues certainly still exist and shouldn't be ignored but to claim this season was not a success means that UW has only had a handful of successful seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                          Issues certainly still exist and shouldn't be ignored but to claim this season was not a success means that UW has only had a handful of successful seasons.
                          This
                          In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                          I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

gonna have to disagree with that statement, although the 1st 10 games were hard to watch what was the record the past 3 months, 22-5-5, what is wrong with that kind of turn around. Then you top it off that on the last night of your conference tournament either you win and go home and the team you cheered for won. If one can't enjoy that kind of finish then what do you want, this reminds me alot of watching alot of Badger Bobs teams. Now onto NH or where ever lets see if we can finish this off the right way.

Comment

UW is 10th in the country in Krach which includes their ridiculous 1-7-2 start. Exclude the start (which they were missing Kerdiles) and their Krach rating would easily be top 5. Anybody who thinks that this isn't a good hockey team - especially after winning their first WCHA tourney title since 1998 - has to have their head examined.

They obviously have a tough match up with #3 in the country UML coming up. Go Badgers!

Comment

Just got back from St. Paul, where we were lectured all weekend by grumpy old men in Gopher gear that Wisconsin plays "bullsh*t hockey". It was a marvelous weekend!

Is the selection show on television, and if so what channel?

Comment

Working...
                                X