X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University season thread 4: Where BC comes to talk hockey

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    No argument from me on any of that. I'm ecstatic with the draw BC got. Just don't know if they have the team to take advantage of it...
    I have a hard time not seeing them getting out of that region. QU is stumbling in having been pummeled by Brown, barely squeaking by Cornell, and losing to Harvard in the last couple of weeks of the year. I've never really felt their profile was all that great this season, especially with their losses being so bad, and not really racking up and solid wins over quality teams. They remind me a bit of Gonzaga's team this year, inflated record from medicore at best competition. And I don't put it past them to choke and lose to Canisius, who would have a snowball's chance in hell against BC. I've not seen Union so hey, maybe they could, but so long as York is on the bench, to me, the talent level disparity is just too much, and especially for three teams who have not faced BC, aren't used to how they play, it's just too hard to adjust. It seems every March I watch their tournament games on TV against these chumps who are facing them for the first time, and I'll end up calling a goal 30 seconds before it happens because you can see the opposition falling into their traps, especially when BC is shorthanded. Maybe injuries will derail them or Milner will have a bad game or two, but I'm just not convinced these teams can adjust to the SH pressure they put on you and defend their forwards having never skated against them.

Re: math v. smoke-filled room, perhaps there should be some marginal room for the committee to make adjustments if they see fit, but that opens up pandora's box a bit. it probably should be one or the other. That said, if it was a smoke-filled room system, we'd probably be in, and Niagara almost certainly would be out, they're 21 in KRACH and 10 in PWR, eek. Oh well, we dug our own hole in January and February.
    Last edited by brassbonanza; 03-25-2013, 12:44 PM.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Maybe the NCAA should look into using the "ELO" system. It is use in chess to rank players. Also the world's most played video game "League of Legends" uses this to match players of equal skill level.

If they did no to the ELO system you might need to play more non-conference games to better determine your elo score....just a thought.
      Go Terriers Go! BTW, I'm just another guy hiding behind a keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
        Re: math v. smoke-filled room, perhaps there should be some marginal room for the committee to make adjustments if they see fit, but that opens up pandora's box a bit. it probably should be one or the other. That said, if it was a smoke-filled room system, we'd probably be in, and Niagara almost certainly would be out, they're 21 in KRACH and 10 in PWR, eek. Oh well, we dug our own hole in January and February.
        If it were the smoke filled room methoed I think a number of teams would have a legit argument on being in over Niagara, I'm not sure that we would be first on that list given some of the bad losses we took.... but even within the existing field there could be some adjustments made. I mean, who would Lowell rather play right now Wisco or Niagara?

Comment

That loss really set the program back

As I said when that game ended, if you're in the mix consistently, even the best programs will have a game where it all goes wrong.
          If BU can hit the ground running next year, and go from being an on-paper national threat to an actual threat, then all I need is for BC to be knocked out this year. I don't want to start the next administration down 6-5.
          Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
          ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
            If it were the smoke filled room methoed I think a number of teams would have a legit argument on being in over Niagara, I'm not sure that we would be first on that list given some of the bad losses we took.... but even within the existing field there could be some adjustments made. I mean, who would Lowell rather play right now Wisco or Niagara?
            And there you have the dilemma. The idea was to make it totally "objective" so that there wouldn't be these kinds of "discussions" (like they have in basketball). The problem with that, of course, is that trying to quantify something that is intangible is next to impossible. There will be flaws in whatever system is used. Which is why I say (again), if we had just taken care of business and WON the games we should have, we'd be packing our bags to go out West now...

Comment

biggest farce is UNH

they finish in 6th place, PC finishes in 4th in Hockey East. They lose to PC in first rd of playoffs as well, ending the season 1-4-1 vs PC and get in over them

. providence goes 4-1-1, finishes in 4th vs 6th and knocks them out in playoffs. You would think those 4 wins coupled with semi berth and wins vs BC, Lowell would get them in

Strange system. It would have been one thing if UNH had finished higher in any format or had winning record vs

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                biggest farce is UNH

they finish in 6th place, PC finishes in 4th in Hockey East. They lose to PC in first rd of playoffs as well, ending the season 1-4-1 vs PC and get in over them

. providence goes 4-1-1, finishes in 4th vs 6th and knocks them out in playoffs. You would think those 4 wins coupled with semi berth and wins vs BC, Lowell would get them in

Strange system. It would have been one thing if UNH had finished higher in any format or had winning record vs
                I don't know why I am responding, but UNH having a better record both against the rest of HE and OOC might have something to do with it.

Also how did 4 play 6 in the opening round of HE playoffs? Sounds like some weird seeding?

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                  biggest farce is UNH
                  Except...as they say, it's the "entire body of work." UNH had a strong first half and it was enough to get them there. By that logic, you could say that BU deserved to get in because they had 21 wins, won 5 in a row at the end of the season (and as Barry Melrose says, "I'd rather be the hot team at the end of the year") and beat BC in the HE semis. But it doesn't work that way.

Comment

UNH beat St Coud twice and won at Denver
                    Prov lost twice to Minn St and tied and lost with MIami

the system is the system

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                      Also how did 4 play 6 in the opening round of HE playoffs? Sounds like some weird seeding?
                      4 didn't play 6. BU won the three way tiebreaker and ended up 3rd - they played Merrimack, the 6th seed. Providence won the head-to-head vs UNH (recalculated after BU was taken out of the mix once they were seeded 3rd) so they were 4th, playing #5 UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                        4 didn't play 6. BU won the three way tiebreaker and ended up 3rd - they played Merrimack, the 6th seed. Providence won the head-to-head vs UNH (recalculated after BU was taken out of the mix once they were seeded 3rd) so they were 4th, playing #5 UNH.
                        I'm aware, was just having a little fun with hoky and the "facts" he presented.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                          I'm aware, was just having a little fun with hoky and the "facts" he presented.
                          Sorry, I wasn't really following the "discussion" - just saw your post.

Comment

I've actually said for a few years now that I like the PWR, but maybe the last spot in the tourney or last two spots should be selected by a committee and not by the numbers. Problem is, it's not like Niagara was the last team in. So how would you leave them out? You couldn't leave St. Cloud out either. Seeing Yale's pathetic performance over two days in AC, they'd have to be the choice to be given the boot IMO.

Comment

I've actually said for a few years now that I like the PWR, but maybe the last spot in the tourney or last two spots should be selected by a committee and not by the numbers. Problem is, it's not like Niagara was the last team in. So how would you leave them out? You couldn't leave St. Cloud out either. Seeing Yale's pathetic performance over two days in AC, they'd have to be the choice to be given the boot IMO.
                              I am not the biggest PWR fan, it is good, but we can do better so why don't we? I don't really support a different selection process for spots 15 and 16 than 1-14, it is just too inconsistent for my taste.

Comment

But putting the PWR aside, do you think Niagara should be in at all? Are they really the 9th best team in the country?

Comment

Working...
                                X