UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
    By the way...here's a totally off the wall question. When we were (much) younger, my uncle (who graduated from UNH) use to take us to this restaurant on the UNH campus called "New England Center." We would go once a year, sometime around Thanksgiving. I heard that it is not there anymore. I'm just wondering if anyone knew what happened to it?
    It is now unh housing. Currently Adams tower north and south. Pretty sweet "dorm" if you ask me.
    UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2012-2013 Postseason Thread

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
      It is now unh housing. Currently Adams tower north and south. Pretty sweet "dorm" if you ask me.
      Oh, well. Time marches on...I always had good memories of that place...

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
        Any word if UNH has selected a pre-game "headquarters" (bar) for Friday?
        Officially Margarita's, Gnarlz and the Pep Band will be there at 6:00.

The closure of the New England Center was just a few years ago, maybe 2010? The bar was a great place to catch a drink and a bite to eat pre-game.
        "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
        Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
        NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
        EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
        AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
        1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
          By the way...here's a totally off the wall question. When we were (much) younger, my uncle (who graduated from UNH) use to take us to this restaurant on the UNH campus called the "New England Center." We would go once a year, sometime around Thanksgiving. I heard that it is not there anymore. I'm just wondering if anyone knew what happened to it?
          And the name of the restaurant was 'Acorns', as I recall. My wife completed the WSBE Executive MBA program in the mid '90's (as the Whitt was being built) and the NEC was their home away from home every other weekend.
          We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
          ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
          --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
            And the name of the restaurant was 'Acorns', as I recall. My wife completed the WSBE Executive MBA program in the mid '90's (as the Whitt was being built) and the NEC was their home away from home every other weekend.
            Thanks everyone...it was just something that I had never been able to get an answer for.

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
              You are correct! Toward it's closure, I found this:
              The university spends $2 million annually to subsidize the operation of the New England Center, which has had a 50 percent drop in revenue over the last two years. At least $17 million in new capital investment would be needed to bring the hotel and conference center up to industry standards, university officials said.
              http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...=2009707229914

This one may be of interest to chickod:
              There were other entertainers who stayed at the 115-room hotel (54 in the Adams Tower and 61 in the Kellogg Tower): The Kinks, Chicago, Alanis Morissette and Billy Idol—“He played his guitar in our bar,” Gombar says.

There were politicians: Ted Kennedy, Mike Dukakis, John Kerry, Pat Buchanan and Ralph Nader. Journalists: Peter Jennings, Charlie Gibson and Ted Koppel. And celebrities like Mister Rogers (“he had on a very nice sweater”), Shari Lewis and Lambchop, Robert Parish, writers John Irving and Hunter S. Thompson, and Mike Farrell from “M*A*S*H.”
              Saying Good-Bye to the New England Center
              http://unh.edu/news/campusjournal/2010/Jun/09nec.cfm
              Last edited by ClOuD 9; 03-25-2013, 06:50 PM.
              "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
              Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
              NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
              EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
              AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
              1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

It made both my wife and I very sad to see the NE Center and Acorns Restaurant close down. So many memories! I went to several of the Monday night hockey Coach's Corner dinners there during the early 2000's.
                UNH

Comment

• I worked at the New England center while I was in school at UNH. Fond memories of that place. Great prime rib carved at your table. Sunday brunch was awesome. The renowned architect I M Pei designed the place. It was designed to blend in with the natural surroundings.

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  By the way...here's a totally off the wall question. When we were (much) younger, my uncle (who graduated from UNH) use to take us to this restaurant on the UNH campus called "New England Center." We would go once a year, sometime around Thanksgiving. I heard that it is not there anymore. I'm just wondering if anyone knew what happened to it?
                  Last edited by e.cat; 03-25-2013, 09:11 PM.
                  UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                    I worked at the New England center while I was in school at UNH. Fond memories of that place. Great prime rib carved at your table. Sunday brunch was awesome. The renowned architect AM Pei designed the place. It was designed to blend in with the natural surroundings.
                    Their Thanksgiving buffet was pretty delicious too!
                    UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                      Yep...that's what I remember as well! Thank you again, everyone. It was great to get all that info and bring some "closure" to my curiosity!

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                        Just caught up on the last 2 pages and feel great! That's the fan base that we should be...love the name drops Snively, just saw Paul Powers, Peter Noonan with Bertagna in nets last week! I agree this team has no "superstar" and like Snively65 said, a strong defensive game along the lines of Lowell's game Saturday will win these games...but that means DeSmith has to emulate UML's goalie (name?)
                        We can beat these teams we all know that...hopefully the Wildcats believe in themselves as well!
                        What fun zoofer! How is Paul Powers doing? I can't think of a better defensman his size in that team's era. new his brother Scotty a bit while doing grad work at Harvard and living in Kirkland House w/him.

Joe B was Assistant Athletic Director then, and coaching the women's the college's women's hockey team (still an intercollegiate club sport). Even got dragooned into being a goal judge for his home games, which tells you how small time it still was.

One funny thing I remember him saying was how different he'd discovered coaching women rather than men. When a guy makes a stupid play, he gets gets screamed at by the coach when he returns to the bench. The first time he tried that with one of his own players, he said her teammates got in his face and screamed at him.

Talk about having your back

Comment

Bertagna also had a great story about playing in Snively. Remember the chain linking fencing behind the opposing goal for the 1st and 3rd periods, and the standing area against it that was packed with standing students?

While playing the puck behind his net, he said he saw a really pretty fan within a few inches of him and gave her a huge smile. She then screamed at him to do something anatomically impossible to himself.

My kind of Wildcat Hockey fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by snively View Post
                              Bertagna also had a great story about playing in Snively. Remember the chain linking fencing behind the opposing goal for the 1st and 3rd periods, and the standing area against it that was packed with standing students?

While playing the puck behind his net, he said he saw a really pretty fan within a few inches of him and gave her a huge smile. She then screamed at him to do something anatomically impossible to himself.

My kind of Wildcat Hockey fan.
                              Ahhh yes those were the days, my favorite spot to watch a game. Opposing goalies would expectorate in our general direction often.
                              Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by snively View Post
                                What fun zoofer! How is Paul Powers doing? I can't think of a better defensman his size in that team's era. new his brother Scotty a bit while doing grad work at Harvard and living in Kirkland House w/him.

Joe B was Assistant Athletic Director then, and coaching the women's the college's women's hockey team (still an intercollegiate club sport). Even got dragooned into being a goal judge for his home games, which tells you how small time it still was.

One funny thing I remember him saying was how different he'd discovered coaching women rather than men. When a guy makes a stupid play, he gets gets screamed at by the coach when he returns to the bench. The first time he tried that with one of his own players, he said her teammates got in his face and screamed at him.

Talk about having your back
                                Richard, Paul Powers and Tim Burke would help out at Oyster River Middle School and would occasionally play street hockey with us, those were fun days.
                                Go Cats!

Comment

Working...
                                X