2013 NCAA Quarterfinal: Harvard @ Boston College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 NCAA Quarterfinal: Harvard @ Boston College

...because from my own distant vantage point this one seems a little tough to call. Harvard impresses as entirely capable of knocking off a favorite, either slight or clear. Boston College impresses as tricky to figure between explosive offense, or not so much. Anyway, thread for those more familiar and invested in the outcome. Interesting to me just in case Minnesota earns a chance at the winner.
    Minnesota Hockey

Re: 2013 NCAA Quarterfinal: Harvard @ Boston College

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
    ...because from my own distant vantage point this one seems a little tough to call. Harvard impresses as entirely capable of knocking off a favorite, either slight or clear. Boston College impresses as tricky to figure between explosive offense, or not so much. Anyway, thread for those more familiar and invested in the outcome. Interesting to me just in case Minnesota earns a chance at the winner.
    Agree, hardest one to call. Putting my ECAC hat on and thinking Harvard will win this one. Their tender is hot, and they got size and speed up front.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
      Putting my ECAC hat on and thinking Harvard will win this one. Their tender is hot, and they got size and speed up front.
      That didn't work out for them in the Beanpot.

Comment

Question guys, and sorry if this is old news -- buy why hasn't Laura Bellamy been playing for Harvard? Just beat out by the freshman or something else?
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          That didn't work out for them in the Beanpot.
          They are getting a second crack at it.

Comment

The frosh Maschmeyer is a good one between the pipes for the Crimson. TTT - you can still check out the ECAC championship games online if you missed them during your afternoon spot of tea. The UNH contingent will be making the trek down for the Beantown double-header on Sat. I expect a barnburner in the game at Conte Forum and I'm looking forward to the 2nd tilt at Walter Brown Arena since I have not seen Clarkson in person this year.

Here's the link to the ECAC games on replay at ESPN3:

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_...p-championship
            THINK PINK
            BLEED BLUE

Comment

Hey BC people!

I am thinking of going to the game Saturday. As you might guess from the user name I am a Harvard fan and have not gotten over to Conte for years. I am currently using crutches (due to a %#@* up disk in the back) and have a disabled placard. What is parking like at Conte. Are the HP spaces close. Also, are there lots of steps there. I am a bit worried about stairs. An old friend recovering from knee surgery fell down the stairs in his home last week and died of a broken neck and I am a lot more cautions about stairs since I heard that.

Any info would be gratefully appreciated.

Comment

Hm... there aren't many stairs, that shouldn't be a problem. Half a flight to get into the arena and then you're at seat level.

Parking... there is ample parking for Conte but now that I'm thinking of it, handicap parking may be difficult. I would suggest asking the guard at the booth in front as you drive in, if he's there
                Otherwise I would try to find a spot not on the garage as close as possible.

As you drive in to campus from the Comm Ave side, turn left instead of right when you get to the garage and then drive on the stretch of parking parallel to the road you were on. You might get lucky on a spot in there.

Worst case, I believe there are handicap spots in the garage, but it's a reasonable (but no steps) walk to Conte. Few hundred yards anyway.

FYI there are no steps if you go up the ramp hidden by the bushes on the right side.

This is all from the Comm Ave side. You may find a similar situation on the Beacon Street side but I wouldn't bother with it.

Comment

Really though, is Bellamy hurt or just got beaten out?

Comment

My impression is beaten out.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                      Really though, is Bellamy hurt or just got beaten out?
                      Dunno the answer, but Maschmeyer has played all the playoff games and was named to the ECAC all tourney team. Bellamy played the last regular season game vs Yale and earned a win that got Harvard a share of the Ivy title.

Maschmeyer has played more games, but Bellamy has the better stats, slightly better save percentage, GAA below 1.00 and a better winning percentage. My guess is Maschmeyer had a shutout vs Dartmouth, got rewarded to play again and got another shutout, so If I'm a coach, as long as she is winning you run with the hot hand. If you have a hot goaltender, whether she is your number one or your number two, you go with her during the playoffs, but that is just me.

Bottom line is, both tenders have good stats and had a good year. They are ranked 1-2 in league stats in both GAA and save percentage, ahead of highly regarded tenders like Howe and Vigilante. Bellamy is tops in the league in winning percentage, and Maschmeyer ranked 4th in that category.
                      Last edited by OnMAA; 03-12-2013, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dave1381 View Post
                        My impression is beaten out.
                        Correct. Bellamy has been healthy the entire time. Maschmeyer was highly recruited and has national experience that I think Coach Stone feels is critical in playoff situations. Just my read but that is how I see it. Harvard's D makes both goalies stats somewhat misleading in that they don't often have to make tough saves and they don't see many shots per game. Nonetheless, Maschmeyer has done the job and earned the right to start on Saturday.

Comment

Bellamy has better overall stats, but Emerance has clearly faced tougher competition on average.

Bellamy hasn't really been the No. 1 goalie since the Nov. 18 2-1 loss to BU. The next week Emerance got Cornell (3-1 win) while Bellamy got Colgate, and then Emerance got Northeastern (3-1 win). For the next couple months, Bellamy was still getting starts against the likes of Dartmouth and SLU . But the last time they split quality opposition was late January, when Emerance started in a 3-1 loss to Clarkson, and then Bellamy started a 3-2 OT win over SLU followed by a 2-2 draw with Dartmouth. Emerance has clearly had the No. 1 starting role thereafter. Emerance has started every game against high-quality opponents since the Beanpot began (9 games), while Bellamy started only Colgate and Yale.

Comment

We should nominate Bellamy for Unsung Hero, or perhaps better, the player who has had to put up with the cruelest consequences of being a goaltender over her four years in Cambridge.

It started innocently enough, as back up to a senior who played on the Canadian U-22 national squad. Lots of practice time, a couple of starts against weak opponents, get ready for next year. Then boom, Kessler was out for the rest of the year, Bellamy's only back up was someone who hadn't played hockey for eleven months, yet with Bellamy between the pipes the team continued with the very same goals-against for the final ten games. The only disappointment was in their last ECAC tournament game when she got hung out to dry on a couple of early odd-man rushes.

After that, she was the sole backbone. In the sense of playing every single second of every single game her junior year. Imagine playing with that kind of pressure. Flu-like symptoms this weekend? Too bad, kid, strap on your equipment. Again, a very low GAA both years.

Then last April Harvard picks up a Canadian U-18 national squad goaltender. The two compete all season, share the starts equally, each with a stellar GAA, but finally the other goalie has the hot hand, the coach goes with the hot hand, and albeit with one of the best GAAs in the nation, you're sitting on the bench. And as a captain you have to keep smiling and encouraging your teammates.

People say that competitive athletics builds character. I have to agree.
                            Last edited by Watson Rink; 03-12-2013, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Watson Rink View Post
                              We should nominate Bellamy for Unsung Hero, or perhaps better, the player who has had to put up with the cruelest consequences of being a goaltender over her four years in Cambridge.

It started innocently enough, as back up to a senior who played on the Canadian U-22 national squad. Lots of practice time, a couple of starts against weak opponents, get ready for next year. Then boom, Kessler was out for the rest of the year, Bellamy's only back up was someone who hadn't played hockey for eleven months, yet with Bellamy between the pipes the team continued with the very same goals-against for the final ten games. The only disappointment was in their last ECAC tournament game when she got hung out to dry on a couple of early odd-man rushes.

After that, she was the sole backbone. In the sense of playing every single second of every single game her junior year. Imagine playing with that kind of pressure. Flu-like symptoms this weekend? Too bad, kid, strap on your equipment. Again, a very low GAA both years.

Then last April Harvard picks up a Canadian U-18 national squad goaltender. The two compete all season, share the starts equally, each with a stellar GAA, but finally the other goalie has the hot hand, the coach goes with the hot hand, and albeit with one of the best GAAs in the nation, you're sitting on the bench. And as a captain you have to keep smiling and encouraging your teammates.

People say that competitive athletics builds character. I have to agree.
                              Well said. Agree 100%. As a parent of two of them, know full well the trials and tribulations a varsity athlete goes through, whether they are a star, a goaler, or a third or fourth liner. My hat's off to all of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X