Serious Bracketology Questions???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Bracketology Questions???

Hello fellow hockey fans!! I'm new here and to following the D1 playoffs from round one and I bought Frozen Four tickets since their in my backyard this year!!!! But I have a question about the selection of the 16 teams that start this journey!!! When they say there are 5 conference automatic bids are these the regular season champions or are they the conference PLAYOFF champions???? I've read and read and read and I'm still not sure what the deal is!!! Please help me !!! Thx in advance!!!!!
    What is behind me is of no importance !!!!!!!

Re: Serious Bracketology Questions???

Originally posted by JeffShriver View Post
    Hello fellow hockey fans!! I'm new here and to following the D1 playoffs from round one and I bought Frozen Four tickets since their in my backyard this year!!!! But I have a question about the selection of the 16 teams that start this journey!!! When they say there are 5 conference automatic bids are these the regular season champions or are they the conference PLAYOFF champions???? I've read and read and read and I'm still not sure what the deal is!!! Please help me !!! Thx in advance!!!!!
    They are the playoff Champs.
    - Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. -

Go Bemidji Beavers
    Go you Green and White
    Go Bemidji Beavers
    Fight with all your might!
    Rah! Rah! Rah!
    We are here to cheer you
    We are out to win your fame,
    So, Go Bemidji Beavers
    Fight to win this game.-Fight.

Comment

Conference tourney champions get the autobid, just like in basketball.
      UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Comment

Each conference gets to chose which one...all of them chose playoff.
        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
        Originally posted by Quizmire
        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

It's up to the leagues to determine who gets the autobids. All the leagues send the tournament champion, though. For the power conferences, it's a chance to get more teams in the tournament (if someone who wouldn't qualify as an at-large team wins the conference tournament) and for the other conferences, it gives some meaning to the conference tournament.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I believe that as far as the NCAA is concerned, each conference gets an auto bid and is allowed to choose whichever team they would like to send to the tournament - a conference could choose its autobid by drawing a name out of a hat if they wanted. However, the fact is that each conference has decided that its conference tournament champion will receive the auto bid.

That's why it may be hard to locate this information - the NCAA is silent on how the auto bids are awarded, because they don't care.

Edit: there you have it. The same answer from 3 different people - I guess I'm the slowest typist. CLS's reply got me wondering, though - why don't the conferences choose to send their highest-rated team that will not receive an at-large bid? Seems like that would get them the most # of teams in the tournament...
            Last edited by LynahFan; 03-11-2013, 06:18 PM.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Wow!! Thanks folks!!! There could really be some dark horses stick it in there ah???? Really makes a big difference if conference favorites lose and they end up in at-large pool but my guess is the NCAA still seeds according to the Pairwise ranking correct?????

Comment

Just an FYI for you and for anyone else who has pairwise or bracketology questions:
                http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...y-2013-Edition is an active thread where a few of us go through different scenarios and answer questions people have about the process in general or specifically about a team. There is almost always at least one of us around during the day so we answer questions pretty quickly.

Comment

Wow!! Thanks folks!!! There could really be some dark horses stick it in there ah???? Really makes a big difference if conference favorites lose and they end up in at-large pool but my guess is the NCAA still seeds according to the Pairwise ranking correct?????
                  Yes, I believe the pairwise gets divided into four tiers with one from each ending up at each regional (#1, 2, 3, and 4 seeds).

Comment

It does give me a little hope for the local team(although I'm not a "fan") Robert Morris to win the AHA !!!! I don't have a dog in the hunt unless you count my college football and basketball fav The Ohio State Buckeyes!!! But I really just like all hockey and enjoy it just for the game itself!!! Don't need a dog to enjoy the hunt ya know????

Comment

Originally posted by REDaero91 View Post
                      Yes, I believe the pairwise gets divided into four tiers with one from each ending up at each regional (#1, 2, 3, and 4 seeds).
                      Yes from what I've read things get rather complicated when deciding who goes where in regional brackets!!!! Lol!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                        I could be wrong, but I believe that as far as the NCAA is concerned, each conference gets an auto bid and is allowed to choose whichever team they would like to send to the tournament - a conference could choose its autobid by drawing a name out of a hat if they wanted. However, the fact is that each conference has decided that its conference tournament champion will receive the auto bid.
                        Not exactly. The NCAA actually does prescribe the methods that a conference can use, and they are entirely limited to a conference championship tournament or in-season conference competition

From the DI championship manual:
                        31.3.4.1 Requirements—Division Championship. To be eligible for automatic qualification in a Division Championship, a member conference must meet the following requirements: (Revised: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06)
                        (a) Conference competition must be conducted in the applicable sport and the conference champion in that sport must be determined not later than the date on which participants are selected for the NCAA championship, either by regular in-season conference competition or a conference meet or tournament, as indicated at the time of application. If a conference’s competition to determine its automatic qualifier is unexpectedly terminated (e.g., due to inclement weather), the conference may designate its qualifier, provided it has established objective criteria for making that designation and has communicated that information to the appropriate sports committee by a specified deadline. (Revised: 8/13/93)[/quote]

That's why it may be hard to locate this information - the NCAA is silent on how the auto bids are awarded, because they don't care.

Edit: there you have it. The same answer from 3 different people - I guess I'm the slowest typist. CLS's reply got me wondering, though - why don't the conferences choose to send their highest-rated team that will not receive an at-large bid? Seems like that would get them the most # of teams in the tournament...
                        A league could not do so, because the only exception to "conference competition champion" or "conference tournament champion" is basically "the conference tournament can't be completed due to a situation beyond the conference's control", and the NCAA requires objective criteria be cited in that conference's decision. Somehow I doubt "this team won't be able to make the tournament otherwise" counts as objective.
                        UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
                          A league could not do so, because the only exception to "conference competition champion" or "conference tournament champion" is basically "the conference tournament can't be completed due to a situation beyond the conference's control", and the NCAA requires objective criteria be cited in that conference's decision. Somehow I doubt "this team won't be able to make the tournament otherwise" counts as objective.
                          Thanks, kingdobbs - good stuff. I definitely don't read that in the same way that you do, though. I read it as:

To be eligible for an auto-bid, a conference must:
                          1) compete in the sport
                          2) determine their conference champion before the NCAA selection
                          3) determine their conference champion either by regular in-season conference competition OR by a tournament

What I *don't* see on the list is a requirement that the conference champion must be the one to be designated as the automatic qualifier! The lawyers would have a field day picking it apart, and maybe your interpretation is the framer's intent, but "highest rated team in the regular-season standings that wouldn't make the tourney" sure seems like an objective, regular-season-competition-based metric to me. Even if you make the leap that the team designated as the conference champion gets the auto-bid, there really doesn't seem to be anything there that precludes a conference from declaring their 4th place team to be the "conference champion" if teams 1-3 all would receive at-large bids.
                          Last edited by LynahFan; 03-11-2013, 07:07 PM.
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
                            A league could not do so, because the only exception to "conference competition champion" or "conference tournament champion" is basically "the conference tournament can't be completed due to a situation beyond the conference's control", and the NCAA requires objective criteria be cited in that conference's decision.
                            An example would be the SEC hoops championship. In 2008 a tornado rumbled through downtown Atlanta for the first time ever, and tore the Georgia Dome roof to shreds. The league had to move the tournament to Georgia Tech and make Georgia play two games in one day. An option the SEC discussed was cancelling the tournament and declaring regular season champion Tennessee the winner of the autobid.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              An example would be the SEC hoops championship. In 2008 a tornado rumbled through downtown Atlanta for the first time ever, and tore the Georgia Dome roof to shreds. The league had to move the tournament to Georgia Tech and make Georgia play two games in one day. An option the SEC discussed was cancelling the tournament and declaring regular season champion Tennessee the winner of the autobid.
                              I believe that the Ivy League doesn't even hold a conference tournament, and their regular season champion gets the autobid for the basketball tournament.

Comment

Working...
                              X