Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolverines vs Broncos

WOW! can anybody say GREAT MATCHUP!

Michigan is on a tear winning their last 6 games straight.
    Western's barn always rocks! And a great team to boot.
    Two great coaches.
    Two great teams.
    Teams have beaten each other this season

Your picks?

It'll be close, but I go with MICHIGAN in game three

Re: Wolverines vs Broncos

The way they are playing, Doubt anyone wants to play Michigan now.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Robin View Post
      The way they are playing, Doubt anyone wants to play Michigan now.
      Maybe, but how Michigan is playing has been against 2 middle of the pack CCHA teams and the 10th place CCHA team. I'm glad we get Western, I think we stand a better chance, considering we went 1-4 against Western in the regular season and 0-4 against Notre Dame.
      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
      7 B1G
      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
      2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
        Maybe, but how Michigan is playing has been against 2 middle of the pack CCHA teams and the 10th place CCHA team. I'm glad we get Western, I think we stand a better chance, considering we went 1-4 against Western in the regular season and 0-4 against Notre Dame.
        Western has better goaltending than ND, but ND has a slightly better offense. Both teams have 1+ lines. ND is struggling to just make the NCAA tourney, so they be more desperate right now. They'll get a match-up with BGSU that they probably are as concerned about as if it was Michigan. WMU has a little more wiggle room for the NCAA but is clearly a bubble team.

Western is probably more physical, but, like ND, is disciplined. Don't count a Jeff Jackson team out, especially in the playoffs. Andy Murray is similar in that he demands that his system is followed to the letter. I think WMU is a good team, but isn't infallible. The whole series will come down to forced errors and how they are taken advantage of. Michigan's goaltending has been good, but isn't the same caliber as WMU's.

Now, just a slight disagreement with wT- the Wolverines swept a decent OSU team in C'bus and made a pretty good goaltender look bad. They also handled FSU at home. Those are top five league teams. I like our team, but they can't afford to let adversity get them down. They also can't afford to lapse into the lulls or lack of intensity that sometimes plague them.

It's simple: win 2 of 3 or go home for the season for the first time in 22 seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
          Now, just a slight disagreement with wT- the Wolverines swept a decent OSU team in C'bus and made a pretty good goaltender look bad. They also handled FSU at home. Those are top five league teams. I like our team, but they can't afford to let adversity get them down. They also can't afford to lapse into the lulls or lack of intensity that sometimes plague them.

It's simple: win 2 of 3 or go home for the season for the first time in 22 seasons.
          What?! Someone has slight disagreement with me on a message board? I will not stand for this, and must turn it into an arguement (even though I usually agree with streaker and assume he is more knowledgable about hockey than I).

tOSU finished 4th and Ferris 5th. I call that middle of the pack in an 11 team conference. aOSU finished with 45 points, 9 points behind 3rd place Western. 9 points back from the *****eyes? 7th place Michigan. I went with 3 top teams, 3 bottom teams and call the middle 5 middle of the pack. If you want to call 4th place "decent", ok...but I'll state these wins are against non NCAA tournament caliber teams. With Ferris and aOSU tied for 26th and 28th in the pairwise, respectively, they are middle of the pack teams.

The purpose of my post was to show that greater challenges lie ahead (which we all know). Playing at Western is a significantly larger challenge than those we have just defeated. 3rd in the conference, 10th in the pairwise, and has been pointed out, a beast in net. But, considering what ease Notre Dame had in putting the puck in net during our match-up last month, I'm glad we drew Western (of the possible options).

Edit: I will grant that beating those middle of the road teams, and earning sweeps is a huge improvement from earlier in the season.
          Last edited by wolverineTrumpet; 03-12-2013, 12:11 PM.

Arenas visited:
          7 B1G
          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
          2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by Red Robin View Post

Your picks?

It'll be close, but I go with MICHIGAN in game three
            I'll say Michigan in 2 no sweat at all. Only team that might be better than Michigan right now is Miami. I smell a repeat of 2010.
            LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
              I'll say Michigan in 2 no sweat at all. Only team that might be better than Michigan right now is Miami. I smell a repeat of 2010.
              I say Western in 3.
              Teams in the CCHA better than Michigan right now: Miami, Notre Dame, and possibly Western.

Arenas visited:
              7 B1G
              2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
              2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                What?! Someone has slight disagreement with me on a message board? I will not stand for this, and must turn it into an arguement (even though I usually agree with streaker and assume he is more knowledgable about hockey than I).

tOSU finished 4th and Ferris 5th. I call that middle of the pack in an 11 team conference. aOSU finished with 45 points, 9 points behind 3rd place Western. 9 points back from the *****eyes? 7th place Michigan. I went with 3 top teams, 3 bottom teams and call the middle 5 middle of the pack. If you want to call 4th place "decent", ok...but I'll state these wins are against non NCAA tournament caliber teams. With Ferris and aOSU tied for 26th and 28th in the pairwise, respectively, they are middle of the pack teams.

The purpose of my post was to show that greater challenges lie ahead (which we all know). Playing at Western is a significantly larger challenge than those we have just defeated. 3rd in the conference, 10th in the pairwise, and has been pointed out, a beast in net. But, considering what ease Notre Dame had in putting the puck in net during our match-up last month, I'm glad we drew Western (of the possible options).

Edit: I will grant that beating those middle of the road teams, and earning sweeps is a huge improvement from earlier in the season.
                You make very valid arguments- and I am not arguing against the fact that the Bulldogs and Buckeyes are average teams (their record says so) in the face of where they stand nationally. I used that very argument in the Buckeye thread a few weeks back. BUT, in the context of the CCHA, they are in the upper half of the league, marginally better than teams 6-11- especially in net.
                Let me counter that with the records that Ferris and OSU have against the top three teams. Ferris had a subpar 2-5-1 record against the top Miami, ND and WMU. OSU on the other hand had a 3-2-3 record against the top three, including 2 wins against Miami. They earned their positions in the league because they handled their business against most of the teams below them (except Michigan in OSU's case) and held water against the top teams. To me, that suggests that Michigan beat a couple of teams that played pretty well against the best of our league. This would be the only case I would present on their behalf. On the other hand, check and see what the Wolverines did against teams 6-11. It wasn't bad, but considering who they were, that is expected. 0-2 at home to Alaska. 1-1 at LSSU. 1-1 vs. BG, including the most embarrassing loss of the season. 2-1-1-1 vs. NMU (0-1-1-1 in Marquette) and 4-1 vs. MSU, with the only loss at Munn. They were a combined 5-9-2-2 against the top five teams.

I also think that Michigan would have lost to OSU/FSU earlier in the year (in FSU's case, they did.) and may have lost to them in January, too. But something happened in February after the bye week. The team changed up some system issues (I won't elaborate) and a goaltender found some confidence. That, my friends, is a dangerous thing. All of a sudden they are scoring. They are playing better defense. The goaltending is solid.

Yes, ND thrashed them in the misdt of this revelation (yet prior to the bye), but that isn't to say that another game would come out the same way. Take 2008 for instance when Michigan throttled the Irish all season until the FF game. The Irish got hot at the right time but couldn't close the deal against BC.

WMU is much better at home than on the road. Their defensive numbers and goaltending is smothering. Yet, Michigan has matched up better this season (except the last game in Kzoo) for some reason. Michigan blew a two goal lead on Friday and beat them in A2. The games have been close for the most part. Yes, don't remind the Bronco fans that they have a chance to knock Michigan out three years straight- they are already chirping about it. Now the bulleye is on them and their precarious T10 pairwise slot.

The Irish won a couple of tight games at Yost this season (in the last part of the 3rd period both games) and then blew them out in South Bend. It is hard to say that this wouldn't happen anyway, but at least the Michigan compass is pointing true north now which doesn't change the increasing challenge, but does give them a better chance no matter what top three team they are playing now.
                Last edited by streaker; 03-12-2013, 03:05 PM.

Comment

The Broncos are anxious to put the final nail in Michigans coffin for the season.... Im sure the Walverines are just as anxious to put the final nail in Western's as well....

If the series must be decided by a third game this weekend, watch out.... Kalamazoo gets EXTRA classy on St. Patricks day!

My Prediction: WMU takes Fri, scUM takes Sat and Sun....
                  Whiney Ferris Knuckle-dragger:"You're exactly right, the WMU students & fans are out of control. The Lawson Lunatics are a bunch of wild animals with zero class or civility"

Comment

Michigan showed last weekend that it can come out in any game and play good hockey. They have not shown that they can put together two quality games in a row. I think Michigan can get it to three games because they will play one good game on either Friday or Saturday, but the home barn works it's magic and Western Michigan moves on to the Joe on Sunday.
                    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Well, Paula gave you guys the kiss of death this weekend. Although, I wouldn't be shocked seeing you guys take the series, I really see this series going 3 games. I don't think either team can sweep.

We literally haven't won a game on Saturday since you guys left Kalamazoo back in late January. And I think you guys are just a team of destiny this year.

Make it:
                      Fri - UM 3 - WMU 1
                      Sat - WMU 2 - UM 1 (OT)
                      Sun - UM 5 - WMU 2 (Two ENG for UM)

Time to go drown my sorrows
                      Western Michigan University Bronco Hockey
                      Home of the Lawson Lunatics

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                        OSU on the other hand had a 3-2-3 record against the top three, including 2 wins against Miami.
                        DuhOSU was 1-3-1 (with tie being a shootout loss) vs. Miami this year. Don't want to give the Buckeyes any more credit than they are rightfully due.

Back on topic, this should be a very interesting series and I think it will go all three games. I will definitely be checking my phone for updates while I am hopefully watching Miami take care of business against MSU.
                        2014-15 NCAA Weekly Pick'em Overall and NCAA Tournament Champion

Love and Honor

Comment

This is an amusing thread.... for the posters I mean. I know we didn't have a game thread back in January, but there were enough cross posts that the bravado was a lot more strong as was the depths of pessimism.

Now- we've got nervously optimistic Michigan fans not willing to go to deep vs. nervously pessimistic Western fans almost ready to call it a season.

Each being reminded- 3rd is 3rd, and that's darned good. 7th is 7th and sucks, and one can quickly question wins.

I know I'm not going to predict a darn thing, nor will I get into the face of anyone who will (one way or the other). This can be some entertaining hockey.

All I will say- the kind of hockey Michigan is playing right now is ACTUALLY ENTERTAINING! It was a lot of fun to watch last week, and a lot around us mentioned the same thing against Ferris- more for the tie game than the win.

Comment

Originally posted by SweeneyHawksHockey View Post
                            DuhOSU was 1-3-1 (with tie being a shootout loss) vs. Miami this year. Don't want to give the Buckeyes any more credit than they are rightfully due.

Back on topic, this should be a very interesting series and I think it will go all three games. I will definitely be checking my phone for updates while I am hopefully watching Miami take care of business against MSU.
                            Okay you win.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                              This is an amusing thread.... for the posters I mean. I know we didn't have a game thread back in January, but there were enough cross posts that the bravado was a lot more strong as was the depths of pessimism.

Now- we've got nervously optimistic Michigan fans not willing to go to deep vs. nervously pessimistic Western fans almost ready to call it a season.

Each being reminded- 3rd is 3rd, and that's darned good. 7th is 7th and sucks, and one can quickly question wins.

I know I'm not going to predict a darn thing, nor will I get into the face of anyone who will (one way or the other). This can be some entertaining hockey.

All I will say- the kind of hockey Michigan is playing right now is ACTUALLY ENTERTAINING! It was a lot of fun to watch last week, and a lot around us mentioned the same thing against Ferris- more for the tie game than the win.
                              Michigan can't score against really good defensive teams.
                              WMU can't score more than 2-3 goals a game on average, but doesn't need to.
                              Michigan's offense is irratic, especially the PP.
                              WMU's defense and goaltending is better.
                              Special teams favor WMU.

So, Michigan either has to overcome the trends or WMU has to realy shart the bed, I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X