Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack Parker To Announce Retirement Monday, Really.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jack Parker To Announce Retirement Monday, Really.

[QUOTE=4four4;5665773]Is it better to announce his retirement on his terms or the AD?[/QUOTE

I would think that most forward thinking Universities would allow a legend coach that they wanted to sack to announce his retirement after the season ends. If you are speculating that the BU AD is making him announce now, that would be a horrible mistake by the AD.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Comment

thank you lord!

Comment

Haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if this has already been talked about but the timing on this seems weird. BU is hosting a playoff series and could still get an NCAA spot. Shouldn't the focus be on winning? So now it's all about Jack. Do it for Jack? Teary eyed fans who stayed home 2 weeks ago packing Agganis for nostalgic value? Yuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishhawk View Post
          Haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if this has already been talked about but the timing on this seems weird. BU is hosting a playoff series and could still get an NCAA spot. Shouldn't the focus be on winning? So now it's all about Jack. Do it for Jack? Teary eyed fans who stayed home 2 weeks ago packing Agganis for nostalgic value? Yuck.
          So if he announced it at the beginning of the season, would that have been better? The focus would still have been on him as the end nears.

If nothing else, this takes the focus off of the underachieving team, which could perhaps loosen them up enough to keep their recent positive results going.
          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

[QUOTE=LTsatch;5665800]
            Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
            Is it better to announce his retirement on his terms or the AD?[/QUOTE

I would think that most forward thinking Universities would allow a legend coach that they wanted to sack to announce his retirement after the season ends. If you are speculating that the BU AD is making him announce now, that would be a horrible mistake by the AD.
            even worse than letting him foster the "environment" that he fostered?

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
              even worse than letting him foster the "environment" that he fostered?
              at least one of his titles doesn't have an asterisk next to it.
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

He's getting HUMILIATED out of his position behind the bench, having overstayed his welcome by anywhere from one to three years (depending on who you speak to). The number of years is immaterial. You can be sure that he was strongly 'encouraged' to do this, although the language coming from all corners will be quite deferential to Parker. Is Parker simply Paterno on Ice? Well, I know that I'm not the first person to say that, and there's the rub. Half the people weighing in on this subject weren't even ALIVE during BU's heyday. And those who were don't remember it. Parker's selfishness cost him some luster on that all-important 'legacy' of his, we all agree.
                Chris V
                Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                  Unlike JackPa, York is still at the top of his game and showing no signs of slipping, so why would he even consider retiring?
                  The Pope did it.
                  Hit Somebody!

Comment

Originally posted by Umileated View Post
                    The Pope did it.
                    Jack Parker is more important than the Pope.
                    UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                      Jack Parker...American Hero.
                      Ok, this is way over the top.

Comment

GFY Parker.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                          GFY Parker.
                          Yep. GFY
                          Let's go Lowell.

Comment

Can't believe it, sandie actually made me laugh.

I will say that fans outside hockey east obviously haven't seen/heard the parker we've seen, thus the wide variety of thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              Can't believe it, sandie actually made me laugh.

I will say that fans outside hockey east obviously haven't seen/heard the parker we've seen, thus the wide variety of thoughts.
                              I'm looking at a 40 year coach, in a business where that is beyond rare. And he had success (much success) at his job. The minutiae is not relevant at this point, IMO. Congratulate him on his longevity, and wish him well, rival or not.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Right, to outsiders, the minutiae is irrelevant. That's fine, I completely understand that. In his day, he was a great coach. No doubt about that.

Comment

Working...
                                X