Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNO to discuss plans for its new $76 mill barn this week

http://www.omaha.com/article/2013030...303089983/1001

Also, the new Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln, Nebraska has commenced on the construction of the ice floor.
    Last edited by Hockey Monk; 03-10-2013, 11:18 AM.

Re: UNO to discuss plans for its new $76 mill barn this week

Much consternation here as yet about the size of this facility. Here is a copy of the agenda for the Regents meeting next Friday:

http://nebraska.edu/docs/board/agend...nda-4-8-13.pdf

Do a search on the word arena in the document (it's huge) and you'll find any info of interest. Note it says "an arena in the 7000 to 7500 seat range". This is too small (as is the number of parking spots even for this small of an arena--1700 or so).

UNO is 4th in the nation in attendance and drew more than 55,000 for their last 5 home games--right in the middle of an epic season ending choke job for the 2nd year in a row. UNO has averaged more than 8,000 fans per game in 9 of the 16 years of the program's existence.

I think they are hamstrung by the monies available and they are building what they can afford since they are between a rock and a hard place. We MUST get out of the CenturyLink Center for revenue reasons, as the case study/expense justification in the agenda above makes eminently clear.

It's a shame because we really need something more along the lines of at least the Mariucci Center or, even better, the Ralph, size-wise. We are leaving money on the table because we don't have enough, now, to build what we really need and is justifiable based on our attendance history.

Ironically, this new facility is to be built within a few hundred yards of what WAS going to be UNO's home at the outset in 1997, the old Aksarben Coliseum (built in 1929 and seated 6,314 for hockey) that has since been torn down.
    Last edited by Red Cows; 03-10-2013, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
      Much consternation here as yet about the size of this facility. Here is a copy of the agenda for the Regents meeting next Friday:

Do a search on the word arena in the document (it's huge) and you'll find any info of interest. Note it says "an arena in the 7000 to 7500 seat range". This is too small (as is the number of parking spots even for this small of an arena--1700 or so).

UNO is 4th in the nation in attendance and drew more than 55,000 for their last 5 home games--right in the middle of an epic season ending choke job for the 2nd year in a row. UNO has averaged more than 8,000 fans per game in 9 of the 16 years of the program's existence.

I think they are hamstrung by the monies available and they are building what they can afford since they are between a rock and hard place. We MUST get out of the CenturyLink Center for revenue reasons, as the case study/expense justification in the agenda above makes eminently clear.

It's a shame because we really need something more along the lines of at least the Mariucci Center or, even better, the Ralph, size-wise. We are leaving money on the table because we don't have enough, now, to build what we really need and is justifiable based on our attendance history.

Ironically, this new facility is to be built within a few hundred yards of what WAS going to be UNO's home at the outset in 1997, the old Aksarben Coliseum (built in 1929 and seated 6,314 for hockey) that has since been torn down.
      Welcome to the issue for the other Mavericks as well, my condolences as it'll bite your program financially in the ***. The leads with the program at MSU have kicked around the idea of on campus ice for a decade now as they realize The Cell is a bit to small and the University coukd get a much larger piece of the pie with their own facility. But cash is king inthis process and you build what you can afford.

Still a bit of a head scratcher though, been to that nice arena you folks have existing, nice darn arena, I get the financials, but still doesnt totally make sense to the outsider.
      R.I.P. Anthony Ford...

I officially hate Kevin Buisman

We cannot recommend him however, as a fantasy pick, unless of course you are related to him. (Fri. Dec 22, 2006)
      FOX SPORTS On David Backes
      WHAT!!!???!!?!?!!??

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post

I think they are hamstrung by the monies available and they are building what they can afford since they are between a rock and a hard place. We MUST get out of the CenturyLink Center for revenue reasons, as the case study/expense justification in the agenda above makes eminently clear.

Have you emailed anybody from UNO with your concerns?
        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Building a facility to be filled every night and create demand seems to have worked out for fellow NCHC member Miami...
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I think 7k is a great size. Should be a great atmosphere for games.

In other news....UNO vs ND drew a the highest TV viewership.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-hock...etwork-college

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey Monk View Post

Congrats to us.

Our new home venue will be the smallest we've ever played in.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember an old Yellow Pages ad that went "Nobody is in business to get smaller".

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey Monk View Post

While I hate UND with all my heart, they are the reason for that. They are the GB Packers of college hockey. They are everywhere. Like a virus.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  Building a facility to be filled every night and create demand seems to have worked out for fellow NCHC member Miami...
                  I've been to Miami's new rink a half dozen times. Never has it been anywhere near full. Although it is listed at 3,200 (the old rink was 2800), actual capacity is much higher. As for the crowds listed around 3300 and 3600 for the NMU series there in November, there were plenty of good seats empty. I'd estimate the actually number of butts in seats was much closer to the old rink capacity of 2800 or less.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                  X