• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fire Dick Umile!!!!!

Originally posted by wildshawn View Post
    you tell 'em, one hit wonder!
    :d
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
      UNH09.......where the hell were you when they were among the very top ranked teams In the country??? It's bottom feeders like you that only come out from under the rock to throw Rich under the bus when things go south. Why don't you climb on the bandwagon to every top ranked team and change horses when they change? That's the kind of fair weather fan you are...........
      UNH ranked #1 is so last year...

Comment

UNH09.......where the hell were you when they were among the very top ranked teams In the country???
        Picking apples, juste like we doing evury Octobre, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by skyraider0609 View Post
          Flashback moment....Friday March 21st 2008. UNH and BC in the HE semis. Thomas Fortney scores a shorthanded goal and UNH takes a 4-1 lead at 12:23 of the second period. UNH fans are having a rollicking good time. Isn't this fun? We're kicking the %$@# out of BC! Jerry York calls time out. I recall this very clearly: during the time out, a very animated Jerry York is back and forth behind the BC bench, not screaming or ripping his players, but instead clapping his hands, encouraging his team, patting them on the back and telling them not to panic and that they were alright in that situation. About a minute and change later, BC scores a PP goal making it 4-2. Anyone there watching realized that BC knew right then they had a chance to get back in that game. Fast forward to the opening minutes of the third period...BC has tied the game at four. The entire complexion of the game has changed. BC has the momentum and is flying around the ice and UNH is back on their heels. UNH fans have that "here we go again" voice whispering in their ears. Meanwhile, what's Dickie doing? Rallying his team? Encouraging them like Jerry? Not quite...he's doing a superb impression of a mannequin behind the UNH bench. Scowling, arms folded, with one hand under his chin. Kinda like an anti York. Of course, we all know how that one ended. Another tent in a wind storm. It was such a stark contrast in coaching styles and when you really break it down, one the biggest reasons, IMHO, why this program comes up short time and time again.
          Great, great post. This paragraph says it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques "Rabbit" Poriveau View Post
            Picking apples, juste like we doing evury Octobre, eh?
            r u an illegal alien,or just an alien?
            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by snively View Post
              Yeah, and because of that game our game didn't start until 11:00 and I got home at 3:45 am. (and we lost, too)

Comment

I can actually sympathize with Umile in that he's caught between a rock (BC) and a hard place (Maine) when it comes to recruiting. UNH will never be able to pretty much pick and choose any recruit it wants like BC can, and at the same time, it's not desperate, sleazy, or low class enough of a university/program to go after the talented vermin/rejects that Maine has made a living off of and their fans have accepted with open arms for years. I Just don't see UNH ever becoming a top choice for bigtime talent, so unfortunately the Maine model may be your only hope....
                Last edited by carltonbarrett; 03-18-2013, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                  r u an illegal alien,or just an alien?
                  Dis tred juste getted one step closeur to da Fan Forum Hall of Fame

Turd Grade Divizion

Comment

Originally posted by snively View Post
                    I have to agree with the observation -- I (and others) have made the same one in the past -- the folded arms stance, especially at key moments of a game, or in key games, is what has bothered me the most about Umile over the years (and before Frenchie says, "Is dat all? What habout de no trophy in de case?", there may be a correlation.) I saw it this weekend vs PC -- a bit more than a minute left in the 3rd, down a goal, and I'm saying to myself (before De Smith was pulled for the extra skater,) get a whistle and call a time out, Coach! Get something set up! You have a TO to use up! But no -- the clock ran down to 20 seconds, and there was a whistle and a time out, but I believe that it was Leaman who called time. The TV camera showed Umile with the folded stance again, as Borek (I believe) was drawing plays on the whiteboard.

Skyraider's example of York in that memorable game isn't unique: York can often be seen working behind the bench, leaning over to speak in a player's ear, patting a back, or drawing on the whiteboard. Umile doesn't have the same style -- he seems to keep himself at some distance from his players. From my perspective, which is usually in the stands opposite the UNH bench, that's to his discredit.
                    We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                    ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                    --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques "Rabbit" Poriveau View Post
                      Dis tred juste getted one step closeur to da Fan Forum Hall of Fame

Turd Grade Divizion
                      more like the whale chit division in the marianas trench!
                      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

UNH09.......where the hell were you when they were among the very top ranked teams In the country??? It's bottom feeders like you that only come out from under the rock to throw Rich under the bus when things go south. Why don't you climb on the bandwagon to every top ranked team and change horses when they change? That's the kind of fair weather fan you are...........
                        Ah yes....if only the tourney was held in November...

Me thinks you miss the point. It's great to be the talk of the college hockey world before Christmas. I love the way UNH tears it up then. But it doesn't make me feel any better come spring when we see the inconsistent play, the blown leads and the under achievement come tourney time. Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by skyraider0609 View Post

Flashback moment....Friday March 21st 2008. UNH and BC in the HE semis. Thomas Fortney scores a shorthanded goal and UNH takes a 4-1 lead at 12:23 of the second period. UNH fans are having a rollicking good time. Isn't this fun? We're kicking the %$@# out of BC! Jerry York calls time out. I recall this very clearly: during the time out, a very animated Jerry York is back and forth behind the BC bench, not screaming or ripping his players, but instead clapping his hands, encouraging his team, patting them on the back and telling them not to panic and that they were alright in that situation. About a minute and change later, BC scores a PP goal making it 4-2. Anyone there watching realized that BC knew right then they had a chance to get back in that game. Fast forward to the opening minutes of the third period...BC has tied the game at four. The entire complexion of the game has changed. BC has the momentum and is flying around the ice and UNH is back on their heels. UNH fans have that "here we go again" voice whispering in their ears. Meanwhile, what's Dickie doing? Rallying his team? Encouraging them like Jerry? Not quite...he's doing a superb impression of a mannequin behind the UNH bench. Scowling, arms folded, with one hand under his chin. Kinda like an anti York. Of course, we all know how that one ended. Another tent in a wind storm. It was such a stark contrast in coaching styles and when you really break it down, one the biggest reasons, IMHO, why this program comes up short time and time again.

I don't know if UNH gets to Manchester or not. I'd like to say I'd feel really confident if they do go, but I've seen this movie too many times already and I think I know how it ends.

And then Craig Switzer does his best Umile impersonation behind the net as Benn Ferriero beats Kevin Regan. I still have nightmares.
                          UNH Wildcats

1985 Women's Lacrosse Division I National Champions

So much for empty trophy cases

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
                            I have to agree with the observation -- I (and others) have made the same one in the past -- the folded arms stance, especially at key moments of a game, or in key games, is what has bothered me the most about Umile over the years (and before Frenchie says, "Is dat all? What habout de no trophy in de case?", there may be a correlation.) I saw it this weekend vs PC -- a bit more than a minute left in the 3rd, down a goal, and I'm saying to myself (before De Smith was pulled for the extra skater,) get a whistle and call a time out, Coach! Get something set up! You have a TO to use up! But no -- the clock ran down to 20 seconds, and there was a whistle and a time out, but I believe that it was Leaman who called time. The TV camera showed Umile with the folded stance again, as Borek (I believe) was drawing plays on the whiteboard.

Skyraider's example of York in that memorable game isn't unique: York can often be seen working behind the bench, leaning over to speak in a player's ear, patting a back, or drawing on the whiteboard. Umile doesn't have the same style -- he seems to keep himself at some distance from his players. From my perspective, which is usually in the stands opposite the UNH bench, that's to his discredit.
                            If memory serves me right, the whistle was an icing call on PC. My thought was Umile did not call the time out because the PC players were tired and he liked the matchup.

Comment

Originally posted by UNH09 View Post
                              And then Craig Switzer does his best Umile impersonation behind the net as Benn Ferriero beats Kevin Regan. I still have nightmares.
                              Actually, the defensemen beat Regan. He was perfectly lined up on the shot until our defensemen put his stick in the way and tipped it over the glove shoulder.

IIRC, BC was on the PP following a moronic interference by boy-genius Danny Dries.
                              Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                                Actually, the defensemen beat Regan. He was perfectly lined up on the shot until our defensemen put his stick in the way and tipped it over the glove shoulder.

IIRC, BC was on the PP following a moronic interference by boy-genius Danny Dries.
                                Both correct. That Dries sequence was nothing short of hilarious. Broke his stick, threw the broken half in his hand at Petrecki (?) which he got away with, then follows Petrecki down the ice with the puck and proceeds to get low, grab his leg, and pull him down like an Olympic wrestler IIRC.

Classic.

That gme was also a great trivia question. When did BC win twice in overtime in the same game?
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X