Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utica College Pioneers 2012-13 Season (Part Two)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just do not get why it won't work. Glens Falls is a much smaller town and is 45 miles from Albany which also has pro hockey and they make it. There are many more larger towns around Utica too.???

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

• Re: Utica College Pioneers 2012-13 Season (Part Two)

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
      If it happens, for me it's all good. Whether it lasts one season, two, three, I hope longer, but whatever happens, happens. It is just "awesome" hockey and it is plain and simple, a treat for all. Good Lord it's one level under the NHL.

You say there's nothing to do in Utica, how about another option, mid week games for one. What about NHL players rehabbing or conditioning from injuries, my only chance to ever see these guys play. World class like Fetisov, Stasny, etc and we got to see Marty Brodeur for a whole season.

Money from the state has been granted to make the "Aud" a better place to watch hockey, it's all good.

Plus you get to see NHL ex players, coaches, scouts, rookies like Brodeur who will be impact players in a year or two on a nightly basis, I don't understand your "disdain" for all of this. When the Devils were here it was just super.

Almost forgot, even Bobby Clark was walking around the aud one game.
      Shabby, there is no question whatsoever about the AHL being a great league that's full of talent. It's is a lot of fun to watch, until you realize that it doesn't count for anything. (Why root for players that want nothing more than to get out of town?)

I don't care if it lands here one way or the other, as long as it doesn't screw-up UC's schedule, but I'm pretty sure that it will. UC deserves a better fate than to be temporarily displaced by a rent-a-team.

Comment

You're right, GF is a much smaller town. Why the AHL survives there is a bit of a mystery to me.

Having said that, I'm guessing that GF serves a wider area than does Utica, and most of those people work for a living, and have more than 5 bucks in their pocket on a given night.

It's all about demographics... (Notice that OKC has the poorest attendance in the AHL, and it's about a gazillion times bigger than Utica, but nobody is working there, either.)

And if Utica gets an AHL team, it will challenge OKC for the lowest attendance, for sure... One and done, at best.
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 05-31-2013, 01:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          You're right, GF is a much smaller town. Why the AHL survives there is a bit of a mystery to me.

Having said that, I'm guessing that GF serves a wider area than does Utica, and most of those people work for a living, and have more than 5 bucks in their pocket on a given night.

It's all about demographics... (Notice that OKC has the poorest attendance in the AHL, and it's about a gazillion times bigger than Utica, but nobody is working there, either.)

And if Utica gets an AHL team, it will challenge OKC for the lowest attendance, for sure... One and done, at best.
          That's kind of shocking OKC's attendance was so low since they had all Edmonton's young guns till the lockout ended with Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, Hall and Schultz.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
            I just do not get why it won't work. Glens Falls is a much smaller town and is 45 miles from Albany which also has pro hockey and they make it. There are many more larger towns around Utica too.???
            Glens Falls is a smaller town in close proximity to Saratoga & Clifton Park, as well as the folks who don't want to drive into downtown Albany after dark. Utica on the other hand is close to Rome, Herkimer, and Clinton. It's the biggest town in the area. Don't discount the fact that the economic climate in the Capital District is infinitely better than Central NY/Mohawk Valley.

I love living here in Utica and I love hockey, but it will be a real longshot for an AHL franchise to be here for more than a year. The AUD is owned by Oneida County not the city of Utica. While the city is struggling with its finances, the county is in somewhat better shape. They should even be doing better given the settling of the Oneida's land claim and the fact that they'll now get to share some of the revenue from the Turning Stone slot machines. I'd really not want to see any of that money spent on "guaranteed revenue" minimums for an AHL franchise. Better see them seed some of that money to SUNY-IT to start a program and put their games into the AUD along with UC.

The chances of an AHL franchise landing at the AUD without it costing the county (and the taxpayers) is slim at best. Even with the county supporting them It will likely be a short term proposition.

Just my opinion.....
            John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
            AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
            AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
            NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
            NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
            NCAA DII - 1983
            NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              I don't care if it lands here one way or the other, as long as it doesn't screw-up UC's schedule, but I'm pretty sure that it will. UC deserves a better fate than to be temporarily displaced by a rent-a-team.
              We are certainly on the same page here, Mr. Fishman!

To the best of my understanding, the lease with the Aud had, has, and will always have, a provision that any professional team will get first scheduling rights. That is what concerns me the most (however, like XCTiger I worry about what kind of bag the good taxpayers of this area will end up holding when the pro team leaves). The Women's team likely be the most inconvenienced by this term.

While Elmira also had a professional team come to town quite a few years ago, at least scheduling was not an issue since they used different facilities.
              2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
              2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
              2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
              2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
              2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
              2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
              2009 D-III TOP runner-up
              Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
              1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

While I cannot answer why Philly moved the Phantoms to Glenn Falls after they demolished the spectrum. My best guess is that there was not many available spots that were relatively close and ready to go (Hershey/Harrsiburg has the Bears, no real arenas besides WFC in Philly, nothing in Jersey). They were supposed to move the team to Allentown this year but due to delays in building the new rink, they will begin playing there the following year (14-15).

It will be interesting what the draw will be for them compared to Wilkes Barre/Scranton. On one hand you have Flyers an hour and a half south so certainly Philly draws as well as Devils/Rags not being too far away and then also the established WB/S pens fanbase.

And now I am rambling, so in short, Glenn Falls is ending their time shortly and if a team moves to Utica, it certainly be interesting what they get and what happens to the pioneers.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                  To the best of my understanding, the lease with the Aud had, has, and will always have, a provision that any professional team will get first scheduling rights. That is what concerns me the most (however, like XCTiger I worry about what kind of bag the good taxpayers of this area will end up holding when the pro team leaves). The Women's team likely be the most inconvenienced by this term.

While Elmira also had a professional team come to town quite a few years ago, at least scheduling was not an issue since they used different facilities.
                  It is my understanding that UC sold all of the advertising in the arena. If that is true, then you can bet that revenue stream will end up going to the pro team along with concessions. I can't see how UC wouldn't be impacted in a major way across the board.
                  John Nabors

NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                  NCAA DII - 1983

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                    Glens Falls is a smaller town in close proximity to Saratoga & Clifton Park, as well as the folks who don't want to drive into downtown Albany after dark. Utica on the other hand is close to Rome, Herkimer, and Clinton. It's the biggest town in the area. Don't discount the fact that the economic climate in the Capital District is infinitely better than Central NY/Mohawk Valley.

I love living here in Utica and I love hockey, but it will be a real longshot for an AHL franchise to be here for more than a year. The AUD is owned by Oneida County not the city of Utica. While the city is struggling with its finances, the county is in somewhat better shape. They should even be doing better given the settling of the Oneida's land claim and the fact that they'll now get to share some of the revenue from the Turning Stone slot machines. I'd really not want to see any of that money spent on "guaranteed revenue" minimums for an AHL franchise. Better see them seed some of that money to SUNY-IT to start a program and put their games into the AUD along with UC.

The chances of an AHL franchise landing at the AUD without it costing the county (and the taxpayers) is slim at best. Even with the county supporting them It will likely be a short term proposition.

Just my opinion.....
                    That pretty-much sums it up. Adding another pro-hockey failure to that existing (and long) list is just an insane case of throwing good money after bad.

I make greater Utica my home, and I don't mean to hammer on its shortcomings just for sport... But a blind man could see that there is no possibility whatsoever of making a long-term go of it with an AHL franchise here. That's not even worth discussing seriously.

I've talked to several suits employed by The Aud, and while none of them seem to know any particulars, they all say that the venue doesn't make any real money from UC hockey. Assuming that they are right (I don't) I still say that County revenue can be padded a bit by a modest increase in the gate (say $1.50/ticket, that goes directly to the venue) or something similar.

I continue to doubt that Vancouver has any genuine interest in Utica; but even if they do, let's all remember who put the fannies in the seats these past 13 years, and work-out a realistic plan to move forward with UC as the primary tenant... That's the only team that worked here in recent history.

(Love to see SUNY-IT get on board, too, but that's another matter entirely.)

Comment

Latest reports out of Vancouver are that AHL voted yes on placing Canucks in the AUD. Also reporting that it is a deal for one season, with Abbotsford being the ultimate destination. If nothing else, UC will get the benefit of $2M of AUD improvements.

If this is really the case, I sure hope our local givernment didn't put any cash incentives on the table for the Canucks.
                      John Nabors

NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                      NCAA DII - 1983

Comment

It's Official.
                        2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                        2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                        2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                        2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                        2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                        2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                        2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                        Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                        1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                          Latest reports out of Vancouver are that AHL voted yes on placing Canucks in the AUD. Also reporting that it is a deal for one season, with Abbotsford being the ultimate destination. If nothing else, UC will get the benefit of $2M of AUD improvements.

If this is really the case, I sure hope our local givernment didn't put any cash incentives on the table for the Canucks.
                          I read today that the grant was for 5 million, contingent on Utica landing an AHL team.

Talk about a short-sighted waste of public money, but in either case, The Aud gets a face-lift off the sweat of the taxpayers in exchange for the trouble of having an AHL team come and go in a year's time... I can see why the County has an interest in the deal, but it won't benefit anyone else.

I predict Vancouver will draw maybe 1,800-2,100, and that if UC is relegated to matinees half the time, they won't do much better... Looks like it's gonna be a long year for UC fans no matter how you slice it, and Oswego will lead the nation in attendance once again.
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 06-16-2013, 12:34 AM.

Comment

The "contract" is six years, everyone I have talked to is completely psyched we get to see the "big boys" play !! You now have your choice of D1(Colgate), D3(Utica), or the AHL. Winter will be a little easier for hockey fans.
                            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                              Bringing back an old name to Central NY. I remember listening to the Clinton Comets hockey games on the radio when I was a kid!

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                                The "contract" is six years, everyone I have talked to is completely psyched we get to see the "big boys" play !! You now have your choice of D1(Colgate), D3(Utica), or the AHL. Winter will be a little easier for hockey fans.
                                Shabby, I've read a few times that it's only a one-year contract... Can you post a link if you have the time? Thanks! ( I heard that Abbotsford is where Vancouver is headed, too,)

Everybody knows that I hate this deal, but you all have to get a chuckle seeing the YNN footage of "hundreds" of people lining-up for Comet season tickets this morning... There were possibly 20 folks there, and even if there were 200, it's still a looong way to go to get to 4,000.

Comment

Working...
                                X