AHA post season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHA post season

While I like the idea of getting a bye into the quarter finals and having a series at home, I'm wondering if anyone else feels that having a week off might be a disadvantage to teams. Hockey has a bit of a rhythm, and that generally is playing every weekend. Especially if a team is playing well, does breaking that rhythm cause problems? Does playing in the preliminary round give teams momentum that maybe the 4 teams with byes don't get? When the AHA had a single game play-in round, I'm not sure that was as much an issue, but with a 3 game series in the first round, I'm wondering if it might be a problem.

A second question/issue I have is the best of 3 vs single game finals. In some ways it seems counter-intuitive to have the early rounds as best of 3 with the semi and finals as single game playoffs. I get why they do it that way...you can't really have a 3 game play off in Rochester or some other arena, but wouldn't it make more sense to choose the champ in a best of 3?

Re: AHA post season

Originally posted by Jim View Post
    Does playing in the preliminary round give teams momentum that maybe the 4 teams with byes don't get?
    You might want to look at the winning percentage of home teams in the second round over the last several years.

but wouldn't it make more sense to choose the champ in a best of 3?
    Yes, but it's logistically impossible. Plus it prepares teams for the one-and-done NCAA tournament -- which also would make more sense as a set of series, don't you think? Like the pros do! Or the College World Series!

Powers &8^]

Comment

The season is long enough and a bye is very welcome now. Teams still practice so they don't get rusty. Niagara certainly benefits coming back from Colorado and the high altitude without having to play a possible 3 game series so soon. Also not certain if any others on the team were hit by it but Chubak reportedly had the flu last weekend and could use the extra time off to recover.

Comment

A hot teams momentum to me would only carry for a game. Usually the better team wins though.
        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2010 Frozen Four participant
        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

I've polled the coaches on the bye and all but one were glad to get one or wish they had one. The other one was on the fence and said it depended on how his team was playing at the time and how banged up they were.

Comment

Just gotta believe a bye is very beneficial. Every team is banged up at this point in the season. Now, in the days of the NC$$ 12 team tournament, sometimes a bye wasn't good. The team that played the night before could sometimes come out much looser and get a couple goals up early in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
              You might want to look at the winning percentage of home teams in the second round over the last several years.

Yes, but it's logistically impossible. Plus it prepares teams for the one-and-done NCAA tournament -- which also would make more sense as a set of series, don't you think? Like the pros do! Or the College World Series!

Powers &8^]
              CWS is double elimination with best two out of three in the championship round
              Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Working...
              X