X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver--XXXV

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
    Denver plays Michigan in men's lacrosse this Saturday at Barton Stadium. There are eight teams in the conference. Each team plays every other team once in conference play for a total of seven games. Loyola is currently in first place with a record of 6-1. Denver has a record of 5-1. If Denver beats Michigan the Pioneers would improve to 6-1 in ECAC play.

Since Denver beat Loyola 13-12 in overtime on April 13, I assume the tiebreaker would go to Denver and the Pioneers would earn the #1 seed in the conference post-season tourney which is being held next weekend. There are a couple of hundred tickets left for the noontime start. The forecast is terrific for Saturday with lots of sunshine and temps in the low 70s being predicted by the weatherguessers. I hope some local alums will be inclined to buy a ticket or two before there are none remaining. Hope to see some folks at the game.

The game is going to be shown on Pioneer Vision and Comcast (channel 105 in the Denver area).

Here are the current ECAC standings.
    Well, judging by the standings, DU should be expected to stomp Big Boo into jelly. "Oh, the humanity!"
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      Well, judging by the standings, DU should be expected to stomp Big Boo into jelly. "Oh, the humanity!"
      Yeah, just so long as Michigan doesn't go all Appalachian State on us.
      sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by duper View Post
        CHL - $10,200 per week cap for 18 players, with a $335 per week minimum. So using the 25 week season, $8,375 per year minimum and about $14,200 average

SPHL - $5,600 per week cap for 18 players, no minimum. So again using a 25 week season, an average of about $7,800 per year.
        One thing I know about these two leagues is that the team can cover some expenses. Some teams pay for some/all housing. I would have have to look at the rules to verify if this is still the case, but I know it was in the old CHL prior to the merger with the WPHL the owners could pay for housing. In the SPHL, the day before the Florida (Orlando) Seals folded, some players got eviction notices from their apartment housing because the team's payment had been in arrears. None of that counted against the cap.

Some CHL teams have pretty good booster clubs, and those clubs provide meals immediately before and after road trips. I know of one team in Texas who had about a dozen players on the payroll of a construction company, working during breaks and the offseason.

Comment

Originally posted by COHockey View Post
          One thing I know about these two leagues is that the team can cover some expenses. Some teams pay for some/all housing. I would have have to look at the rules to verify if this is still the case, but I know it was in the old CHL prior to the merger with the WPHL the owners could pay for housing. In the SPHL, the day before the Florida (Orlando) Seals folded, some players got eviction notices from their apartment housing because the team's payment had been in arrears. None of that counted against the cap.

Some CHL teams have pretty good booster clubs, and those clubs provide meals immediately before and after road trips. I know of one team in Texas who had about a dozen players on the payroll of a construction company, working during breaks and the offseason.
          Yeah, it just takes too much digging. (I also saw that in the CHL, teams pay the full costs of off-ice health insurance for players.) The main point is, if you play in one of these leagues, you either eat a lot of Ramen or you have a job, or both. Then again, I just read an article in the NY Times about the all-time leading scorer in the NLL (indoor lacrosse), who considers himself to be a math teacher who plays lacrosse on weekends, as opposed to a lacrosse player who teaches math during the week. The fact is, people who can actually make a living playing games are few and far between. I for one would be stoked if someone wanted to throw a few bucks at me to play my favorite game, even if all it did was help to defray the cost of living.

Comment

Paul Statsny, Chris Butler and Matt Carle named to U.S. men's national team that will compete at the 2013 IIHF World Championship
            GO DU !!!

Comment

DU 12 Michigan 4

I'm really of two minds here. On the one hand (sniff) I hate to see the fine lads (snuffle) from Meechigan stomped into jelly. On the other hand, I'd generally root for a team of pedophiles against Big Boo.

So:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s637-5A9Gro

Comment

Just back from the men's lacrosse game. Denver won 12-4.

Denver scored the game's first goal before Michigan scored twice to take a 2-1 lead exactly nine minutes into the game. The Pioneers then scored the final four goals of the half to assume a 6-2 lead at halftime.

The Wolverines scored the first goal of third quarter to close to within 6-3, but Denver rallied with three goals--all while a man up after Michigan took a two minute penalty for a crosscheck to the head--and led 9-3 after three quarters. Denver scored three times while allowing a single goal in the fourth quarter and coasted to a 12-4 victory. Denver tied with Loyola at 6-1 in regular season play in the ECAC, but by virtue of defeating Loyola earlier in the season the Pioneers earned the #1 seed heading into the post-season tourney next weekend.

Nice ceremony recognizing the seniors and their parents before the game. Not quite a sellout, but a good crowd. If Denver gets a first round home game in the NCAA event I think that game will be a sellout. Good luck to the team next weekend.

Comment

Jay Z called up by Wild for tonight's game
                  DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

This should be interesting. Denver's opponent in the first round of the ECAC post-season lacrosse tournament is Fairfield. The Stags beat Denver 10-9 in overtime on April 20 in Barton Stadium to give the Pioneers their only defeat in ECAC regular season play. The defeat also knocked Denver from its #1 ranking in the polls.

I don't know if Denver will beat Fairfield, but my hunch is that coach Bill Tierney will have the team's undivided attention next week and that practices will be, uh, spirited.

Go Denver! Beat the Stags!

Comment

I was asked a pretty intense question this morning by my old lady - "Should we look in to getting Cutthroats tickets next year, for a change?" We went to one of their games games and loved it (but they lost). She knows I've been following all this DU coach drama. But after I thought about it, this is a critical time for DU ticket sales. You've got the crap-o-lanche, who will no doubt be throwing out some major incentives and ticket deals later this summer to woo people. (We already decided, we're not getting avs tix - their packages are attractive, but we just can't hack going downtown 3 times a week) There's probably a wait list for Eagles tickets still..... and that's just too far for us to drive. I'd even consider the Thunderbirds, if they played further south. So it comes down to renewing with DU, in this new league, new Coaching..... or the Cuts. And I'm just wondering if DU has ever been in this situation before; competing against 4 other hockey programs for people's entertainment dollar? We can't be the only fans realizing this. It looks to me as if the Denver area right now, is a "hockey ticket buyers market". And I didn't even mention how much we shell out each season to go to one Broncos game a year (RAIDERS BABY) !!!!!
                      Last edited by 32 Degrees!; 04-27-2013, 06:28 PM.
                      I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
                        This should be interesting. Denver's opponent in the first round of the ECAC post-season lacrosse tournament is Fairfield. The Stags beat Denver 10-9 in overtime on April 20 in Barton Stadium to give the Pioneers their only defeat in ECAC regular season play. The defeat also knocked Denver from its #1 ranking in the polls.

I don't know if Denver will beat Fairfield, but my hunch is that coach Bill Tierney will have the team's undivided attention next week and that practices will be, uh, spirited.

Go Denver! Beat the Stags!

Payback is a b*tch.

Comment

DU 12 Michigan 4

I'm really of two minds here. On the one hand (sniff) I hate to see the fine lads (snuffle) from Meechigan stomped into jelly. On the other hand, I'd generally root for a team of pedophiles against Big Boo.

So:

Now say what you mean don't hold back, Old Pio.

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                          Jay Z called up by Wild for tonight's game
                          Colborne getting a lot of ice time for Toronto tonight. Playing with Lupul. Bozak injured or on maintenance.

DU Hockey Awards last night, (Had to be a little awkward.)
                          Jussi won all the Juicy Awards--MVP, 3 Star and Best Defensive Player.
                          VIVA!! Viva won the Murray Armstrong for most improved.
                          Zajac--top freshman
                          Larkin Jacobson in a rut, getting boring with his 4.0's--Scholar Athlete
                          Ostrow, Nick Shore, Knowlton and Murray picked up the other awards.
                          http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewAr...CLID=207438862
                          Last edited by vizoroo; 04-27-2013, 06:53 PM.
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

DU 12 Michigan 4

So:

Payback is a b*tch.
                            Ditto!
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                              Ditto!
                              And isn't it nice to have a change of subject at the end of a tumultuous month?

Comment

Matt Donovan called up by Isles to be one of the "Black Aces".

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/hoc...s-recall-eight
                                DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Working...
                                X