This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver--XXXV

wait 30 seconds and commercial will end!!

Comment

Originally posted by co14ers View Post
      Are you sure about that date and time? I'm showing a "Throw Tomatoes and Obsenities at the Vice Chancellor for Athletics and Recreation" get together at the Cable Center on the same day and at the same time. Hmmmm.
      Really? I was going to have an event like that too!

My anger level still hasn't peaked with this yet. I'm so ****ed off with this decision.
      Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
      www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

• Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
        Really? I was going to have an event like that too!

My anger level still hasn't peaked with this yet. I'm so ****ed off with this decision.
        The new AD wants a legacy around her neck.
        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
          Blasi, Motzko or Jeff Jackson would be nice...
          possibly Dean Blais...
          You can scratch Blasi from that list. He and Gwozdecky are tight. Do you think he'd go to the place that just did what Denver did to his friend? And Blasi recently signed a pretty lucrative extension at Miami.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            You can scratch Blasi from that list. He and Gwozdecky are tight. Do you think he'd go to the place that just did what Denver did to his friend? And Blasi recently signed a pretty lucrative extension at Miami.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              Well, that very well could be but DU would be pretty stupid to not at least be in contact with any and all of the top coaches. If one says "F-you", then carry on to the next until you have a list of good coaches to vet and interview.

Comment

The more this news sinks in, the more it saddens me. We've been so spoiled over the last 10 years that we are shocked if we don't make the NCAA tournament. Yes, the early exists sucked, but at least we were there. I have to wonder if we had advanced to the frozen four and say lost in the first or second game if this would have happened? Obviously had we won the whole thing it wouldn't have happened. So now I worry about the following things:

1- Our new recruits (the ones that are supposed to come next fall)
                2- Our current players (will any of them leave?)
                3- The ability to attract blue chip recruits
                4- An end to our 20 win seasons
                5- A return to an era like we experienced in the late 80s and early 90s.

One thing I won't worry about is Gwoz, he will be just fine. We're gonna miss him!!!
                "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  ...and a Miami alum...

Comment

Now that DU has decided to fire a hall of fame coach we will see if the program can sustain its self. It's going to be interesting.
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                      Now that DU has decided to fire a hall of fame coach we will see if the program can sustain its self. It's going to be interesting.
                      For completely different reasons, Denver and B.U. face the future having and/or seeking new leadership. Jack Parker retired after being associated with the Terriers' program seemingly since the dawn of time. B.U. has replaced Parker with David Quinn. George Gwozdecky was fired in unanticipated fashion and the Pioneers need to find their next coach. Historically, the two programs have had enormous success garnering a combined twelve NCAA hockey titles. It's most unusual that two such high-profile programs should, for all intents and purposes, simultaneously be replacing long-time, successful coaches.

Quinn and Gwozdecky's yet-to-be named successor have difficult jobs facing them as both teams' fan bases are accustomed to impressive annual win-loss records accompanied by post-season success. Season ticket holders for both programs may need to gird themselves for some "bumps in the road" while their new head coaches seek to continue traditions of excellence.
                      sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

What a joke! Firing a Hall of Fame coach after yet another 20 win season is embarrassing. I wonder how many people will attend games next year? I also wonder how much the Season ticket sales will drop? Way to go DU!!! You made the news for all the wrong reasons!
                        Last edited by Garibaldi83; 04-03-2013, 01:06 PM.
                        GO DU!!!!

ROWDY IN THE FIRST ROW!!!

DU Hockey National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005

Comment

Normally DU is covered by Chambers or Dater, but Frei has an interesting column

The most interesting part, to me:

[Gwozdecky] said that one of the reasons he expected his Monday meeting with AD (never mind the longer title … she’s the AD) Peg Bradley-Doppes to be a routine post-season wrap-up session was that he had been receiving positive comments all season from above all season.

“That’s what we had been told over the course of the year, the discussions we’d had,” Gwozdecky said.
                          and later
                          How much of this was her decision, and how much input came from above?
                          It's an interesting thought that no one here has really voiced. And from what little involvement I personally had with the Board of Trustees when I was a student as well as from a friend who used to work at the Alumni Mag and worked pretty frequently with the board, I learned two things. 1) When the Board no longer supports you, for whatever reason, you're pretty much done. 2) The Board, generally speaking, doesn't give a good god d a m n about athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                            The more this news sinks in, the more it saddens me. We've been so spoiled over the last 10 years that we are shocked if we don't make the NCAA tournament. Yes, the early exists sucked, but at least we were there. I have to wonder if we had advanced to the frozen four and say lost in the first or second game if this would have happened? Obviously had we won the whole thing it wouldn't have happened. So now I worry about the following things:

1- Our new recruits (the ones that are supposed to come next fall)
                            2- Our current players (will any of them leave?)
                            3- The ability to attract blue chip recruits
                            4- An end to our 20 win seasons
                            5- A return to an era like we experienced in the late 80s and early 90s.

One thing I won't worry about is Gwoz, he will be just fine. We're gonna miss him!!!
                            Man, you know how to cheer a guy up!
                            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                              Well, that very well could be but DU would be pretty stupid to not at least be in contact with any and all of the top coaches. If one says "F-you", then carry on to the next until you have a list of good coaches to vet and interview.
                              Good point. Look, here's what's going to happen. DU will eventually hire a new coach. Whoever he is will make it job one to reach out to his current and prospective players. Followed by hockey alumni and donors. Then the rest of us. He'll say all the right things, do all the right things. He'll ask for our help and support. He'll talk sincerely about having "big shoes to fill", DU's "great tradition" and all the rest. And we will accept him. Because he didn't cause this mess. And because we want him to succeed. That's not to minimize our feelings of disappointment and betrayal, we're fully justified. But at the end of the day, we're Pioneer (or whatever's coming) fans. That's the bottom line.
                              Last edited by Old Pio; 04-03-2013, 05:52 PM.
                              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                                Look, here's what's going to happen....
                                That is what is going to happen to the DU faithful. What I worry about are the season ticket holders that sit near me that have no ties to DU and go for the (relatively more) affordable hockey. I have no ties to DU, although my wife does (but I had these season tickets 8 years before we got married). Attendance is good, but a large number of those seats are filled with those who want to see good hockey. I hope the new coach, team, and administration can deliver. Maybe my ticket prices don't go up, but I doubt that. Maybe some of those who got used to good hockey are willing to watch just plain old hockey, but I doubt that too. We better schedule a few more home games against ND and CC, seeing as we might need their attendance and am losing the regular play against the Gophers and Badgers. And I hate hosting ND moreso than any other team.

Comment

Working...
                                X