PDA

View Full Version : All Things Denver--XXXV

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50

lurkingdog
03-09-2013, 09:37 PM
USA Today says DU is a frontrunner for an invitation to the Missouri Valley Conference, assuming Creighton leaves for the Big East.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/mvc/2013/03/08/missouri-valley-creighton-replacement-belmont-denver/1973937/

Old Pio
03-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Basketball team with a big win (maybe the biggest ever). I was really impressed with their rebounding (although 68% from the floor in the first half ain't exactly shabby). Fingers crossed for the WAC tournament. An NC$$ invite would be a very BFD.

And it's nice to see my old buddy Harry Hollines is still the all-time career points leader for DU. And he did it in only 75 games. Freshmen were ineligible in those days, and no treys. Pretty impressive. 25.0 career ppg average. He had a shot like velvet.

Old Pio anecdote alert: I've told the story before about how some of us thought Harry wasn't getting his props because of coastal bias and our bad time zone. Four fraternities got together and chipped in 50 bucks each for a trophy which was presented to Harry at half time of his final game, against New Mexico. They had clinched the WAC title the night before. As time ran out, and the score tied at 68, Harry threw up a jumper and was fouled. He went to the line with zeros on the clock. And the final two points of his career won the game against the 7th ranked Lobos, 70-68. Very sweet.

cetihcra
03-09-2013, 10:33 PM
The DU men's basketball team shares the regular season WAC title with Louisiana Tech after finishing the season with a 78-54 over same. I think DU will probably be the 2nd seed in the WAC tournament. Because they split the season with each other, the tie breaker is, I think, RPI, and I doubt that DU will have a better RPI then Louisiana Tech.

Nevertheless, it would be pretty cool if DU wins the WAC tournament and goes to get slaughtered by Gonzaga in the NCAAs.

They are high enough in the RPI that they may not play a 1-seed in the first round (should they win the autobid). I think there are several lesser conference champions out there. What will be interesting is if DU and LT both advance to their conference championship game....the loser may have a high enough RPI for an at-large bid.

r

cetihcra
03-09-2013, 10:36 PM
For those who care: Dan Olszewski's UW Eau Claire Blugolds have made the D3 F4 in lake placid by beating the defending champs tonight. UWEC has like 7 D1 transfers, ridic!

r

Chris
03-09-2013, 10:50 PM
So...I guess we will finish either in a 3-way tie for fourth or in sixth and have either the five or six seed...we will play either UNO or CC....

du78
03-09-2013, 10:57 PM
So...I guess we will finish either in a 3-way tie for fourth or in sixth and have either the five or six seed...we will play either UNO or CC....

Looks that way, DU keeps it streak of home ice for the playoffs going with UNO's loss tonight. Looks like if DU wins tomorrow it is CC and if they lose or tie its UNO. DU still at #8 in PWR.

duper
03-09-2013, 11:28 PM
So I have been reading the tie breaking procedures for seeding.

Do they skip head to head, since none of these teams won their season series with both of the others, or do they go with overall record against both teams?
If there is a clear winner in a tie breaking step, do the other two teams start over at step one, or do they keep going down the list?

I ask, because it seems like depending on how they do it, I could see DU getting the 6th seed even if they win tomorrow, where I could also see them getting 5th seed.

du78
03-09-2013, 11:33 PM
So I have been reading the tie breaking procedures for seeding.

Do they skip head to head, since none of these teams won their season series with both of the others, or do they go with overall record against both teams?
If there is a clear winner in a tie breaking step, do the other two teams start over at step one, or do they keep going down the list?

I ask, because it seems like depending on how they do it, I could see DU getting the 6th seed even if they win tomorrow, where I could also see them getting 5th seed.

DU holds head to head over MSU 2-0, WI holds head-to head over DU, MSU holds tiebreaker over WI but head to head they are 2-2. That is why in a 3-way tie WI is seeded 4th, DU 5th and MSU 6th. IF DU loses or ties they are seeded 6th, MSU 4th and WI 5th.

duper
03-09-2013, 11:39 PM
DU holds head to head over MSU 2-0, WI holds head-to head over DU, MSU holds tiebreaker over WI but head to head they are 2-2. That is why in a 3-way tie WI is seeded 4th, DU 5th and MSU 6th. IF DU loses or ties they are seeded 6th, MSU 4th and WI 5th.So in other words, it's not actually head to head, but combined record between the three teams, and once it's determined that Wisconsin wins the 3-way tie, then it starts over as a 2-way tie between DU and MSU, which DU wins. That's stupid, but I can see why it would be done that way (kind of).

"Head to head" between more than 2 teams with an unbalanced schedule always seems stupid to me, but since it makes it work in our favor, I'll take it.

Old Pio
03-10-2013, 12:40 AM
With all of the back and forth over the playoff permutations and combinations, you guys have given me an Excedrin headache. ;)

vizoroo
03-10-2013, 03:05 AM
Beau Bennett with his first NHL penalty tonight and "finished with an assist, a team-high plus-3 rating, four shots and a blocked shot" He was also initially credited with a goal but later changed. Getting props from the Pens press.

Pablo
03-10-2013, 03:16 AM
I think this is a good time to give Murray the start.

du78
03-10-2013, 09:21 AM
DU having their pre-game meal at 7AM :eek:

vizoroo
03-10-2013, 11:43 AM
That's 5AM Alaska Saving Time:eek::eek:

Dmann
03-10-2013, 11:49 AM

Mimosa time!!

Chris
03-10-2013, 12:32 PM
I think this is a good time to give Murray the start.

Big Sam just led the team out for warmups. Looks like he is getting the start...

Old Pio
03-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Pretty good weekend, you ask me. Three blowout victories. One put DU in uncharted basketball territory. The other two got DU home ice in the WCHA playoffs against some little school from somewhere. The one fly in the ointment is Didier. We really need him at 100% next week.

duper
03-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Old Pio made a comment on the game thread about it being good to see UAA not gooning it up after an frustrating weekend. I couldn't agree more. During the 1st period this afternoon, there was a small incident that made me think that the 3rd period would get ugly. Fortunately, nothing came of it.

I am pretty happy with CC as the round 1 opponent. I think two games should be enough to close out the series. I hope so. I don't really see this as a season where they need a rest before going to the NCAAs (assuming that we do go). I see this as a season where the more chances the team has to get into a rhythm, the better.

Of course, hopefully the guys who got hurt today aren't seriously injured.

Chris
03-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Old Pio made a comment on the game thread about it being good to see UAA not gooning it up after an frustrating weekend. I couldn't agree more. During the 1st period this afternoon, there was a small incident that made me think that the 3rd period would get ugly. Fortunately, nothing came of it.

I am pretty happy with CC as the round 1 opponent. I think two games should be enough to close out the series. I hope so. I don't really see this as a season where they need a rest before going to the NCAAs (assuming that we do go). I see this as a season where the more chances the team has to get into a rhythm, the better.

Of course, hopefully the guys who got hurt today aren't seriously injured.

I agree about "tRest"...some people think that since it happened in '04 that it is a winning formula...that was basically a fluke and should not be a model of desirability....SKIN THE TIGERS!!!!

du78
03-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Jay Z with a 1st period goal in Van/Min game tonight. Wild lead 2-0 end 1.