PDA

View Full Version : All Things Denver--XXXV

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

BigBossMan
04-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Just like that bird? It was a dismal failure, in every way. Took only a short while for it to die, but die it did. It will take a long time for a new mascot to take hold, but it will only take a short time if it will fail.

On that note, since miners rape the earth, and when people think "Denver" they don't automatically think 'OX', please please please pick the astronaut. I want the astronaut.

Or a pony.

Not seeing the similarities between the statements about the coach and the mascot, eh? :cool:

Tipsy McStagger
04-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Look, here's what's going to happen. DU will eventually pick a new mascot. And we will accept it. Because the new mascot didn't cause this mess. And because we want the mascot to be successful. That's not to minimize our feelings of disappointment and betrayal, we're fully justified. But at the end of the day, we're Pioneer (or whatever's coming) fans. That's the bottom line. :cool:
I see what you did there.

But can someone explain to me what someone wearing a coonskin cap has to do with "the marginalization of women, African-Americans, Native Americans, Latinos, and Asian Americans"?

COHockey
04-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Not seeing the similarities between the statements about the coach and the mascot, eh? :cool:

I saw, but disagreed with both. ;)

bunt_q
04-04-2013, 06:05 PM
I see what you did there.

But can someone explain to me what someone wearing a coonskin cap has to do with "the marginalization of women, African-Americans, Native Americans, Latinos, and Asian Americans"?

Nothing. Any more than a Sioux guy dressing up like a Sioux guy offends Sioux guys. But if that's not okay, we have to be consistent, and not offend Davy Crockett and his ilk.

A Shot and a Goal
04-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Moving on to other pursuits....DU has a home lacrosse game tomorrow night against Marquette. The Pioneers are 7-2 on the season and ranked #3 in the polls. The weather in Denver is gorgeous. This afternoon it's seventy-two degrees and the forecast high for tomorrow is seventy-four. Tickets are still available for the game at Barton Stadium. I picked up a pair of ducats earlier in the week and my wife and I plan to be in attendance on what should be a most pleasant spring evening. Hope to see some local alums and fans in attendance.

Go Pioneers! Beat the Golden Eagles!

bunt_q
04-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Moving on to other pursuits....DU has a home lacrosse game tomorrow night against Marquette. The Pioneers are 7-2 on the season and ranked #3 in the polls. The weather in DEenver is gorgeous. This afternoon it's seventy-two degrees and trhe frorecast high for tomorrow is seventy-four. Tickets are still available for the game at Barton Stadium. I picked up a pair of ducats earlier in the week and my wife and I plan to be in attendance on what should be a most pleasant spring evenin g. Hope to see some local, alums and fans in attendance.

Go Pioneers! Beat the Goden Eagles!

Umm, tomorrow night is the home opener. Good luck getting anybody who wants to go to a sporting event to go to anything else! Besides, at least until tomorrow, the Rockies are a playoff contender.

A Shot and a Goal
04-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Umm, tomorrow night is the home opener. Good luck getting anybody who wants to go to a sporting event to go to anything else! Besides, at least until tomorrow, the Rockies are a playoff contender.

Umm, no yourself. The opener for the Rockies is tomorrow afternoon, not night. Plenty of time to catch both the 2:10 afternoon game at Coors and then the lacrosse game at Barton. As I plan to do.

bunt_q
04-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Umm, no yourself. The opener for the Rockies is tomorrow afternoon, not night. Plenty of time to catch both the 2:10 afternoon game at Coors and then the lacrosse game at Barton. As I plan to do.

Oh I suppose that's true that you could do both. But that's ambitious. Better take the train. :)

Chris
04-04-2013, 06:22 PM

Yeah, I guess everyone is a playoff contender right about now, except maybe the Marlins.

Talking about baseball...In about 45 minutes, my Red Sox will continue their season-opening beat down of the Yankees...just thought I'd throw that out there for DU78. :)

Old Pio
04-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Look, here's what's going to happen. DU will eventually pick a new mascot. And we will accept it. Because the new mascot didn't cause this mess. And because we want the mascot to be successful. That's not to minimize our feelings of disappointment and betrayal, we're fully justified. But at the end of the day, we're Pioneer (or whatever's coming) fans. That's the bottom line. :cool:

If you're going to quote me to make some titanic point, I'd appreciate quotation marks and attribution.

Old Pio
04-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Nothing. Any more than a Sioux guy dressing up like a Sioux guy offends Sioux guys. But if that's not okay, we have to be consistent, and not offend Davy Crockett and his ilk.

UND had no guy "dressing up like a Sioux."

Old Pio
04-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Just like that bird? It was a dismal failure, in every way. Took only a short while for it to die, but die it did. It will take a long time for a new mascot to take hold, but it will only take a short time if it will fail.

On that note, since miners rape the earth, and when people think "Denver" they don't automatically think 'OX', please please please pick the astronaut. I want the astronaut.

Or a pony.

If they go for Ox (or oxen) apart from the total lack of connection with "Pioneers," they're gonna have a problem. What in the wide world of sports is an Ox costume going to look like? And it's doubtful they'd opt for a live ox. Peta wouldn't like it and there's all that messy cleaning up. And where would he be during games? Sitting next to Jay? As silly and non-Pioneer as an astronaut would be, you could at least come up with a plausible costume. And we could call him Yuri, after the first man in space. Or Valentina for the first woman in space.

du78
04-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Yeah, I guess everyone is a playoff contender right about now, except maybe the Marlins.

Talking about baseball...In about 45 minutes, my Red Sox will continue their season-opening beat down of the Yankees...just thought I'd throw that out there for DU78. :)

Sigh, it is gonna be a long year :(

Chris
04-04-2013, 07:20 PM
If they go for Ox (or oxen) apart from the total lack of connection with "Pioneers," they're gonna have a problem. What in the wide world of sports is an Ox costume going to look like? And it's doubtful they'd opt for a live ox. Peta wouldn't like it and there's all that messy cleaning up. And where would he be during games? Sitting next to Jay? As silly and non-Pioneer as an astronaut would be, you could at least come up with a plausible costume. And we could call him Yuri, after the first man in space. Or Valentina for the first woman in space.

Astronauts = Pioneers of the Universe :)

bunt_q
04-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Or Valentina for the first woman in space.

You mean Valen-Tina.

du78
04-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Astronauts = Pioneers of the Universe :)

How about "He-Man" or Ilya Bryzgalov aka Universh?

Alaska Hockey
04-04-2013, 07:27 PM
UND had no guy "dressing up like a Sioux."

they did have Sammy Sioux but got **** canned over 30 years ago

Old Pio
04-04-2013, 07:35 PM
they did have Sammy Sioux but got **** canned over 30 years ago

Learn something every day. But Sammy was gone long before the NC$$ began confusing itself with the Vatican.

Old Pio
04-04-2013, 07:36 PM
You mean Valen-Tina.

I believe she had the proper chromosomal arrangements. Not like the Press "sisters."

du78
04-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Joe Colborne recalled by Maple Leafs