PDA

View Full Version : All Things Denver--XXXV

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50

duper
03-29-2013, 10:52 PM
A disappointing end to the season, but given preseason expectations, a pretty good year all around.

At a minimum, they lose Hope, Knowlton, Murray, Ostrow, and Phillips. I would imagine that they also lose Nick Shore. And good luck to all of them. Who knows what the heck is up with Mermis. It's hard for me to see anyone else bolting early, but who knows.

A Shot and a Goal
03-29-2013, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if Scott Mayfield signed with the Islanders' organization.

du78
03-29-2013, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if Scott Mayfield signed with the Islanders' organization.

I would say that is as good as done as the Isles have come out and said they want to sign him and Anders Lee of Notre Dame. I really like Nick Shore but I don't think he is at the level Drew was at when he left. I guess that will be up to him, his family, advisor and the Kings.

duper
03-29-2013, 11:02 PM
I would say that is as good as done as the Isles have come out and said they want to sign him and Anders Lee of Notre Dame. I really like Nick Shore but I don't think he is at the level Drew was at when he left. I guess that will be up to him, his family, advisor and the Kings.I don't think he's at the level Drew was at either, but I also don't see him coming back.

I didn't know that about the Islanders. Looks like we'll have a pretty big freshman class next year.

du78
03-29-2013, 11:06 PM
If this isn't the classic glass half full/half empty season, I don't know what would qualify. 20 wins and a tournament bid on the plus side. First round ouster from the league playoffs and in the national tournament on the minus side. With all of our b*tching and moaning, maybe we forget to thank our young men for their season long effort, both on the ice and in the classroom. Thanks, guys. For the returning players, next year is our year. For the guys leaving, good luck. And thanks for all your hard work and for representing DU with class.

I want to ditto this. This team lost 3 underclassmen who are in the NHL and would have formed the #1 line. DU relied on a lot of unproven players who stepped up to have some fine seasons. This team played a number of weekends with less than a full roster. Congrats to all of the boys for providing us with another successful season. We know the seniors will be leaving and maybe one or two underclassmen but DU and Gwoz always find a way to replace those who have left. Time for the off season and getting ready for the 2013/14 season.

du78
03-29-2013, 11:11 PM
I don't think he's at the level Drew was at either, but I also don't see him coming back.

I didn't know that about the Islanders. Looks like we'll have a pretty big freshman class next year.

It was in Newsday last week. His game is more suited for the pro game. For a big guy he can skate, score and is very physical.

duper
03-29-2013, 11:11 PM
I want to ditto this. This team lost 3 underclassmen who are in the NHL and would have formed the #1 line. DU relied on a lot of unproven players who stepped up to have some fine seasons. This team played a number of weekends with less than a full roster. Congrats to all of the boys for providing us with another successful season. We know the seniors will be leaving and maybe one or two underclassmen but DU and Gwoz always find a way to replace those who have left. Time for the off season and getting ready for the 2013/14 season.All things considered, I think this season was pretty successful. Miller gave Stickney a nice interview after the game. He primarily thanked the seniors, but also talked about some of the ?s heading into the season that the team did pretty well with in the long run.

A Shot and a Goal
03-29-2013, 11:13 PM
On Nick Shore, my thought is that he's nowhere near ready to play in the NHL. If he takes the money and runs to the Kings' AHL affiliate, so be it. I agree he is not now on a par with his brother Drew when Drew left after last season.

As far as Mayfield goes I have mixed emotions about his possible departure. Frankly, I think his temperment is better suited to professional hockey. The number of minutes he spent in the penalty box last season and this proved to be detrimental to the Pioneers too often. His size and aggressive style of play may find him taking fewer penalties in professional hockey since a "rougher" game is allowed. Speaking for myself, Mayfield's departure might be "addition by subtraction" for Denver. The Pioneers were near the top of the list of penalty minutes per game in division 1 hockey. Mayfield led Denver in penalty minutes this season and last and did so both times by a large margin. Yes, his offensive prowess would be missed, but his too frequent trips to the penalty box would not be missed. As a team Denver needs to show greater restraint next season when it comes to taking penalties.

If there isn't much unanticipated roster attrition between now and the start of next season Denver will certainly have lots of experienced players returning. Last year freshmen Zac Larraza and Dan Doremus didn't make much impact on the ice or in the scoring stats, but look at how they matured and produced this season. In that regard, I hope one of the following players can do the same next year: Gabe Levin, Garrett Allen or Grant Arnold. Arnold has a big frame and along with Dormeus, Larraza, Ty Loney and Larkin Jaconson could give the Pioneers five big forwards.

Just my $.02.

J.D.
03-29-2013, 11:23 PM
What does the future hold for sam brittain? As an outsider the first thing that always enters my mind is how amazing he was down the stretch as a freshman...

Chris
03-29-2013, 11:32 PM
What does the future hold for sam brittain? As an outsider the first thing that always enters my mind is how amazing he was down the stretch as a freshman...

A great question. I still believe in him and think he will again be the man. I think that Olkinuora has hit his ceiling but Sam has the potential to dominate. I foresee a great senior season out of Big Sam.

Old Pio
03-29-2013, 11:41 PM
A great question. I still believe in him and think he will again be the man. I think that Olkinuora has hit his ceiling but Sam has the potential to dominate. I foresee a great senior season out of Big Sam.

I hope you're right. You're much closer to what's going on than I. And I've gotten no feel for whether Sam's problems were a result of his injury and rehab or something else. Anyway, we expect him back, and that's a good thing.

du78
03-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Sam and Jussi should form one of the best goalie duos in college hockey. That assumes that the Florida Panthers don't want him to move into their farm system. Markstrom is Florida's #1 goalie prospect and will likely be their regular starter next season. At one time Florida was deep in goalie prospects but a number of them have been traded or moved on to other organizations. I doubt Theodore will be back with FL next season so Markstrom and possibly Clemmensen will be in the NHL and there will be an opening in San Antonio for a starter. We will see what happens.

Chris
03-30-2013, 12:28 AM
I hope you're right. You're much closer to what's going on than I. And I've gotten no feel for whether Sam's problems were a result of his injury and rehab or something else. Anyway, we expect him back, and that's a good thing.

I guess the positive in him having a down season overall is that he is much more likely to return for his senior season.

I have been thinking about it and I'm thinking that Sam probably isn't suited to having erratic playing time. I think that the 3rd period against UNH in Denver sort of got into his head. He had a few struggles after that while Olkinuora played above and beyond what any of us expected. Gwoz can't be faulted for going with the hot hand but Sam probably needed some more playing time in order to get his groove back.

In my time, I can only think of a handful of true freshman goalies to come in: Sam, Adam Murray and Bryan Schoen (maybe Chris Olson, I'm not sure) and Sam was the only one to step right in at such a high level. All the tools are there for him to regain that stature again.

Overall, I am comfortable with how this season went. DU ended up about where I thought, though the route they took I would have never envisioned. Personally I thought it would take a while for the team to find themselves, with a finish to the season more resembling the beginning of the season. It was such a strange season.

Onto the NCHC and some new rivalries!

du78
03-30-2013, 12:33 AM
Video of Drew Shore ejection, refs never called a penalty. Stopped play when Goumas remained down on ice. Ref went over to talk to UNH coach and then went to review play. No ref ever raised his arm to call a penalty. So basically they went and reviewed a non-call. They gave Drew a 5 and gamer without ever calling a penalty. Totally mind boggling as non-calls can't be reviewed. Had they called a penalty, they could have done what they did but they didn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xifj4xdwW3o#!

du78
03-30-2013, 12:36 AM
I guess the positive in him having a down season overall is that he is much more likely to return for his senior season.

I have been thinking about it and I'm thinking that Sam probably isn't suited to having erratic playing time. I think that the 3rd period against UNH in Denver sort of got into his head. He had a few struggles after that while Olkinuora played above and beyond what any of us expected. Gwoz can't be faulted for going with the hot hand but Sam probably needed some more playing time in order to get his groove back.

In my time, I can only think of a handful of true freshman goalies to come in: Sam, Adam Murray and Bryan Schoen (maybe Chris Olson, I'm not sure) and Sam was the only one to step right in at such a high level. All the tools are there for him to regain that stature again.

Overall, I am comfortable with how this season went. DU ended up about where I thought, though the route they took I would have never envisioned. Personally I thought it would take a while for the team to find themselves, with a finish to the season more resembling the beginning of the season. It was such a strange season.

Onto the NCHC and some new rivalries!

Peter Mannino wasn't too bad his freshman year :)

Chris
03-30-2013, 12:44 AM
On a side note...I think I have to say that I would take Todd Anderson anytime over those ccha hacks we got stuck with today.

Nick Shore deserved a penalty but I'm not sure a game misconduct was warranted and how it went down was just plain whack. Penalties are to be called on the ice only. The linesmen have every right to conference with the refs if they missed what should have been a major but replay is not an option. No one could convince me that they used replay to identify Nick as it was on open ice hit and not a scrum with multiple bodies flying everywhere. However, I don't believe the situation altered the outcome so it is what it is.

Chris
03-30-2013, 12:48 AM
Peter Mannino wasn't too bad his freshman year :)

Of course not. He just didn't happen to be a true freshman.

goblue
03-30-2013, 12:51 AM
Video of Drew Shore ejection, refs never called a penalty. Stopped play when Goumas remained down on ice. Ref went over to talk to UNH coach and then went to review play. No ref ever raised his arm to call a penalty. So basically they went and reviewed a non-call. They gave Drew a 5 and gamer without ever calling a penalty. Totally mind boggling as non-calls can't be reviewed. Had they called a penalty, they could have done what they did but they didn't.

What's mind-boggling is that the ref, who appeared to have been positioned to see the hit, didn't blow the whistle. Shore practically took Goumas' head off with his shoulder, and deserved the penalty, even if called after the fact. Funny how Goumas and Downing, the 2 players who scored third period hattricks against the Pios in November, both went out tonight with head injuries. I'm just sayin'.

du78
03-30-2013, 12:51 AM
On a side note...I think I have to say that I would take Todd Anderson anytime over those ccha hacks we got stuck with today.

Nick Shore deserved a penalty but I'm not sure a game misconduct was warranted and how it went down was just plain whack. Penalties are to be called on the ice only. The linesmen have every right to conference with the refs if they missed what should have been a major but replay is not an option. No one could convince me that they used replay to identify Nick as it was on open ice hit and not a scrum with multiple bodies flying everywhere. However, I don't believe the situation altered the outcome so it is what it is.

It may have not altered the outcome but it took DU's #1 player out of the game, forced DU to expend 5 minutes killing a penalty in the 3rd period with them down and made Gwoz have to change is lines. It pretty much ended the game earlier in the 3rd than normal when a team is down.

catsfan
03-30-2013, 12:52 AM

As dirty a play as I have ever seen in college hockey. So you are upset with the refs?

Sorry example of play by Denver; Goumas, our top player out with a concussion, as is Downing, who was hit after the whistle. Can't have much sympathy for you guys.