This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver--XXXV

I agreed with Gwoz's comments about this team's biggest flaw being letting up on the gas when they have a lead. Champions don't do that s-h-i-t! Champions smell blood and go in for the kill!

I think the NCAA's are going to be very entertaining. There isn't really any clear favorite. My guess is that the Red Hawks and the River Hawks have a pretty good chance to run the table.
    Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      G*d d*mn it! Fingers crossed that we can still get in to the tournament. Hats off to the Tigers. Especially Joe Howe.
      So we end up 3-3-1 against the 57 club. That is about par for the course for this very strange season. Up and down and all over the place.

Yes, I agree CC came in and dropped the first game and then did what they needed to do to stay alive.

I thought the fundamentals of all the officiating crew tonight were really awful. They didn't enforce basic things like pitching people from face offs (I think they only pitched one guy--CC late in the third in their own end after DU had won the draw), number of players on the ice, monitoring cheating on icing changes, getting icing calls right etc, etc. It's too bad that these kids play 40+ games, work their tales off and the WCHA can't even field a crew for the playoffs that could pass the entry level test for the job.

I expect Todd Anderson will stay in the WCHA which means I just have to see him work a couple of more neutral games at the X next week. Good riddance buddy!
      Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
        So we end up 3-3-1 against the 57 club. That is about par for the course for this very strange season. Up and down and all over the place.

Yes, I agree CC came in and dropped the first game and then did what they needed to do to stay alive.

I thought the fundamentals of all the officiating crew tonight were really awful. They didn't enforce basic things like pitching people from face offs (I think they only pitched one guy--CC late in the third in their own end after DU had won the draw), number of players on the ice, monitoring cheating on icing changes, getting icing calls right etc, etc. It's too bad that these kids play 40+ games, work their tales off and the WCHA can't even field a crew for the playoffs that could pass the entry level test for the job.

I expect Todd Anderson will stay in the WCHA which means I just have to see him work a couple of more neutral games at the X next week. Good riddance buddy!

Which raises the question: where is the new conference going to go for officials?

Old Pio Anecdote Alert: Some rabbit eared ref called a bench minor on Murray for slamming the bench gate too loud to suit him (probably the only one of Murray's career) and Hoyt Brawner came literally on the run to the referee's crease and explained that another bone head, UP call like that and the dude would never work a WCHA game again.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
          According to Patman's data: DU is 98.1% ensured of a slot in the tourney -- 0.3% a 2-seed, 83.3% a 3-seed, 14.5% a 4-seed.

Little sigh of relief, but I hate going into the tourney on such a down note.

r
          I found one scenario where they are out, and it requires Union, Connecticut, Providence, Wisconsin, and Michigan to win the conference tournaments. Interestingly enough, switching out CC for Wisconsin but leaving the rest of the conference winners the same leaves DU in as the 16 seed,
          "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
            I found one scenario where they are out, and it requires Union, Connecticut, Providence, Wisconsin, and Michigan to win the conference tournaments. Interestingly enough, switching out CC for Wisconsin but leaving the rest of the conference winners the same leaves DU in as the 16 seed,
            Nice work, you found the 1.9% chance. I would think substituting Ohio State for Michigan might also be an option where DU would be out.
            Last edited by MagnessMan; 03-18-2013, 01:14 AM.
            Go Pioneers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
              Which raises the question: where is the new conference going to go for officials?.
              All I know is that the Big 10, WCHA and NCHC are all currently accepting applications for on ice officials. We could end up with anyone and no one really knows right now.

Comment

From Brett Skinner on Twitter

Brett Skinner ‏@BrettSkinner4
                I remember losing to CC in the playoffs my second year.. It stung for a few weeks, but it all worked out in the end #NattyChamps
                DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Could history be repeating itself? Are the stars aligning in just the right way for another NC? The team I saw play Friday night can beat anyone. Now we have time to heal our injuries, and not get a rash of new ones in the Final Five. We can sit back and watch UND and Minnie and St. Cloud beat the hell out of each other, while we get fresh and hungry for the real tourney. Call me delusional, but I'm feeling good right now.

Comment

Anyone have video of the GWG? Very curious to see this
                    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirvin View Post
                      Could history be repeating itself? Are the stars aligning in just the right way for another NC? The team I saw play Friday night can beat anyone. Now we have time to heal our injuries, and not get a rash of new ones in the Final Five. We can sit back and watch UND and Minnie and St. Cloud beat the hell out of each other, while we get fresh and hungry for the real tourney. Call me delusional, but I'm feeling good right now.
                      You are delusional.
                      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Delusional, eh? Bank on this prediction: we will not lose another game in the WCHA.

Comment

This, that and the other while waiting for the Selection Show next weekend.

Denver began the current season by sprinting from the starting line and fashioning a 9-1-0 record in its first ten games. I've always thought it was important to consider how good a team was at the time you beat it and then to assess how good those same teams were late in the season. Using this parameter I think the Denver team which began the season by winning nine of ten games was a nugget of pyrite...fool's gold. I'll explain later.

In those nine wins Denver beat Lowell once, split a pair of games with Saint Cloud and swept Mankato to compile an impressive 4-1 mark against three teams which seem likely to make the NCAA field. This cluster of five games constitutes good work by the Pioneers against teams which proved to be NCAA-tournament worthy throughout the season.

The Pioneers took a single game from Air Force [17-13-7 for the season], swept a series from Tech [13-20-4] and swept a series from CC [currently 16-18-5]. Unless CC goes on to win the WCHA Final Five this week none of those three teams will make the NCAA field. Air Force was swept, at home, in a first round AHA playoff series over the weekend. Tech lost a decisive third game versus North Dakota.

One side of the coin shows that in the opening ten games Denver went 6-1 at home and 3-0 on the road. The other side of the coin shows that since that time Denver has gone 11-12-5 [.482], and this twenty-eight game stretch is why I consider the team to be fool's gold: viewed in the totality of the season's 38 games the team which started 9-1 has been in evidence far too infrequently. While we won't know the identity of all sixteen teams in the NCAA event until next weekend, I can't foresee there'll be another team entering the tournament which has shown such a desultory record over its past twenty-eight games as Denver. The Pioneers' uneven performance over the last four months does not inspire confidence as the NCAA event approaches.

If the Pioneers make the NCAA field the calendar shows they won't have to play until at least Thursday March 28 which would allow bumps and bruises to heal, and perhaps, allow time for Shawn Ostrow to be healthy enough to play.

In regard to one player.....Given how well Joey LaLeggia played as a freshman, I have been disappointed with his performance this season. No Denver player has suffered a more marked decline in his plus/minus figure from last season to this season than LaLeggia. Last season he was a robust plus thirteen as opposed to his current minus six. He had a particularly difficult series versus CC going 0, -1, -3 in the three games for a total of -4 for the weekend. CC scored nine goals in the series and Joey was on the ice for six of them [counterbalanced by the two DU goals for which he was on the ice]. LaLeggia sees as much ice time as any DU defenseman. While his skating ability, puckhandling and acumen in delivering crisp accurate passes are well established, unfortunately, so too, is his inattentiveness to strong defensive play this season. If Denver does indeed make the NCAA field it will need a more stalwart defensive performance by LaLeggia to extend its post-season.

Of all the players on the Denver team, I feel LaLeggia has the greatest capacity to lift the level of his play from the regular season to the NCAA tournament. Whether it means greater vigilance in covering a man near the crease, short-circuiting a vigorous forecheck by making an effective outlet pass or making sure he doesn't force a clearing pass into congestion in the defensive zone thereby leading to a potentially dangerous turnover, I see LaLeggia's improved play as a critical component to Denver's success in the NCAA tournament.

On a completely different topic, I hope local alumni, their families and friends will attend the NIT game tomorrow night at Magness. My wife and I have good friends whose son is part of Joe Scott's coaching staff and we'll be sitting with those friends at the game. I hope lots of folks will turn out to fill the void created by the student body which is on Spring Break.
                          sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                            All I know is that the Big 10, WCHA and NCHC are all currently accepting applications for on ice officials. We could end up with anyone and no one really knows right now.
                            Are we talking about a potential biding war? Geography obviously enters into it. I'm not exactly optimistic.
                            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                              Anyone have video of the GWG? Very curious to see this
                              DU didn't post any highlights for the game and that certainly wasn't one. To be honest I don't remember seeing it when it happened--don't know where I was physically or mentally

Soo, went back to the game video--normally PioVision doesn't show replays of the opponents goals, but this one--shaking head sadly.
                              The shot was to Jussi's stick side and was going to be wide. Jussi appears to be going to chip/push the puck to the sidewall and when he moves back to the center of the net somehow the puck stays with his stick and goes into the net behind him. Watched it several times. Freakish!

Jussi has been a bright light for the Pios this year and I can't imagine how he feels. He is still our Fine Finn!

(On the game video it is after the DU timeout and occurs around the 2:06 mark.)
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

JZ will be back on the ice tonight for the Wild.
                                Zucker will replace Rupp (injured) on the fourth line:
                                Mitchell – Konopka – Zucker
                                GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X