Planning a trip to Duluth/Superior??? Helpful Hints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning a trip to Duluth/Superior??? Helpful Hints

I figure some people might start planning their trip...so some friendly advice.

It is generally cheaper to fly into Minneapolis and Drive up to Duluth than fly into Duluth. However, the fly in over the lake is pretty sweet. Expect it to still be cold and possibly snowy in mid march. The weather up there that time is pretty fickle. It can be hot one day and freezing the next.

Places to stay--Superior is much cheaper than Duluth.

The Holidy Inn Express is the nicest(newest) hotel in town, at least it was when I lived there (3 years ago). I would bet that is where the teams are staying however, so it might be pretty booked. It is relatively close to the arena. Barker's Island Inn is fairly decent as well. The Best Western's are a little further away from UWS.

Just over the bridge in Duluth is a Motel 6, kinda run down. Downtown there is a Holiday Inn and Radisson. The Radisson can have nice views if your on the lake side.

Avoid--The Androy, any of the non-chain hotels...they are pretty nasty(except Barkers).

Food--
    Must Haves--you should go to "The Anchor Inn" its a bar a grill with amazing food. YOu get terrified of cleanliness when you walk in the place, but its soo good...and its relatively cheap.

Shamrock Pizza is fairly good. Its pretty far down south Tower Ave, but I think they deliver.

Night life-
    Superior is a typical Wisconsin city, with pretty much all of the bars on one street. Tower Ave has/had about 15 bars all bunched together. 3rd Base and Lord Stanley's are the hockey bars (if they're still there). You also might want to try out Twin Ports Brewery (a block off Tower) if you want a local micro-brew.
    UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
    NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
    Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Re: Planning a trip to Duluth/Superior??? Helpful Hints

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
    I figure some people might start planning their trip...so some friendly advice.

It is generally cheaper to fly into Minneapolis and Drive up to Duluth than fly into Duluth. However, the fly in over the lake is pretty sweet. Expect it to still be cold and possibly snowy in mid march. The weather up there that time is pretty fickle. It can be hot one day and freezing the next.

Places to stay--Superior is much cheaper than Duluth.

Just over the bridge in Duluth is a Motel 6, kinda run down. Downtown there is a Holiday Inn and Radisson. The Radisson can have nice views if your on the lake side.

If you feel like splurging (is that a word??) a bit..the Inn on Lake Superior on Canal Park in Duluth is a good choice..outstanding service...I'm guessing 175 per night, however..
    Mark it 8, Dude

Comment

Originally posted by polarbear2 View Post
      If you feel like splurging (is that a word??) a bit..the Inn on Lake Superior on Canal Park in Duluth is a good choice..outstanding service...I'm guessing 175 per night, however..
      Ya..Anything on Canal Park is going to be expensive..

I just did a quick search on Inn on Lake Superior's website and you undershot...standard rate is 209 per night + tax.

From the Holiday Inn website...the Downtown Duluth is 109 per night, the Holiday Inn Express in Superior is 104.

The cheapest hotel on Orbitz is the Spirit Mountain Inn at $63 per night. Its fairly new, within the past 5-6 years. It's about a 15-20 minute drive to Wessman from there.
      UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Ya..Anything on Canal Park is going to be expensive..

I just did a quick search on Inn on Lake Superior's website and you undershot...standard rate is 209 per night + tax.

From the Holiday Inn website...the Downtown Duluth is 109 per night, the Holiday Inn Express in Superior is 104.

The cheapest hotel on Orbitz is the Spirit Mountain Inn at $63 per night. Its fairly new, within the past 5-6 years. It's about a 15-20 minute drive to Wessman from there.
        Try Country Inn & Suites in Duluth on Haines Rd. just west of Hwy 53 (Miller Trunk) next to Outback Steakhouse...was $119/night last year. Close to lots of restaurants and shopping.

What's Gronk's like for burgers in Superior? Heard it was a good alternative to the Anchor Inn (which is tremendous).

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          Try Country Inn & Suites in Duluth on Haines Rd. just west of Hwy 53 (Miller Trunk) next to Outback Steakhouse...was $119/night last year. Close to lots of restaurants and shopping.

What's Gronk's like for burgers in Superior? Heard it was a good alternative to the Anchor Inn (which is tremendous).
          Being from Minnesota and spending a lot of time in Duluth/Superior, I would try calling the Canal Park Hotels direct for any specials. The weekend SNC played UWS, I could get the Suites INN for $90, Canal Park Lodge (very nice) for $120, Hampton for $99. The best part about Canal Park area is all the restaurants and bars that are within walking distance (a couple blocks) from all the hotels. Canal Park is less than 10 minutes to the arena.

Comment

I don't think I ever had Gronks. There's a lot of stuff up on the hill in Duluth, its just further away from the Rink.
            UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Country Inn and Suites Duluth South advertised at $92 and Duluth north at $109 on Priceline.

Previously mentioned Barkers Inn is advertised at $94, five rooms left.

If you do bids via priceline, stay at 2.5 star or higher, adn if you come with a large group, more than 2 per room, stay away from priceline.
              Last edited by OnMAA; 03-04-2013, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                Country Inn and Suites Duluth South advertised at $92 and Duluth north at $109 on Priceline.
                I figured that might be the case since I was there at a busy time last year and they all jack the prices up...supply and demand...so it's good news.

I always call direct.( My experience is that calling those discount lines is a complete waste of time and they often don't even know what is truly happening at the actual hotel in question and as a result may give you incorrect information.)

Many will give discounts for AAA/CAA membership.

Comment

I figured that might be the case since I was there at a busy time last year and they all jack the prices up...supply and demand...so it's good news.

I always call direct.( My experience is that calling those discount lines is a complete waste of time and they often don't even know what is truly happening at the actual hotel in question and as a result may give you incorrect information.)

Many will give discounts for AAA/CAA membership.
                  I used to work at the Holiday Inn Express in Superior. Often times people paid more via travelocity, etc then they would have paid if they had called us...especially in the slow times.
                  UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

I used to work at the Holiday Inn Express in Superior. Often times people paid more via travelocity, etc then they would have paid if they had called us...especially in the slow times.
                    This is true most times, especially with Choice and Wyndham hotels.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Yep, talk directly to the horse, he knows his business better than some middleman. My experience is that you often save money, as you say, and certainly keep the aggravation, time spent and your stress level to a minimum.

I even called the main 1-800 number once for Holiday Inn Express and was completely misinformed about the number of vacancies. ..(not Duluth). Tournament organizers told us that they had blocked off more than enough rooms for everyone who would be attending and just to let the reservation desk know that you are with that particular group. I made the `mistake`of calling the main 1-800 reservation line for the chain instead of directly to the particular hotel in question. Even after informing them that I was with the tournament I was assured again and again that there were no vacancies in that hotel.

We had to stay at a dumpy Motel 6 or whatever it was, although it was clean enough I suppose, but old and run down, because it was the only place in town with any vacancies. We found out later on the first day that there were lots of vacancies still unclaimed in the block of rooms that the organizers had reserved. So, Holiday Inn`s own central line had no idea of the true situation at that particular hotel..which was one of their own.

Comment

So who's all going??
                        UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Got a room at Barkers. Holiday Inn is booked. I was told to try Superior Bayside Inn. This is going to be fun. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Went to College up there in the 80's , I know it has changed.
                            Bring Warm clothes , Hat , Gloves and walking Shoes..and Cash..
                            Superior has many/lots of Bars - Shipping Industry and Duluth nicer, but last stop before YA HA there land..

Comment

Based on the forecast, it still looks a tad wintry. Snow showers Thursday and Friday, Cloudy Saturday. Highs in the low 30's, lows in the mid 20's.

Comment

Working...
                              X