All the potential placings that can happen in the WCHA standings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All the potential placings that can happen in the WCHA standings

I just spent some time trying to figure out which places every team in the WCHA can finish in the regular season standings (for purposes of playoff seedings).

If anyone is interested:

Also, if you notice any placings that aren't correct, please let me know. Everything is so tight right now in the WCHA that I very easily could've messed some things up.
    Last edited by NDSUSiouxFan; 03-03-2013, 07:37 PM. Reason: Corrections to the table

Re: All the potential placings that can happen in the WCHA standings

Originally posted by NDSUSiouxFan View Post
    I just spent some time trying to figure out which places every team in the WCHA can finish in the regular season standings.

If anyone is interested:

Also, if you notice any placings that aren't correct, please let me know. Everything is so tight right now in the WCHA that I very easily could've messed some things up.
    Minnesota State can finish in 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
      Minnesota State can finish in 1st.
      The most points MSU can get is 35. The least points SCSU can get is also 35. However, SCSU owns the tiebreaker over MSU by going 2-0-0 against them this season.

Comment

I missed one. Minnesota can finish 7th, though it's incredibly unlikely.

Comment

The most points MSU can get is 35. The least points SCSU can get is also 35. However, SCSU owns the tiebreaker over MSU by going 2-0-0 against them this season.
          Tie breakers are merely for playoff seeding. The MacNaughton is shared between teams tied in points.
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            Tie breakers are merely for playoff seeding. The MacNaughton is shared between teams tied in points.
            Okay, thanks. I guess when I created this, I did it for my blog for the intention of playoff seeding, not the MacNaughton Cup. I guess I didn't realize that was an important distinction to make when posting it here.

Comment

MTU can finish 11th. UMD can finish 10th or 11th.

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
              I think this is supposed to just be about seeding. MSUM can get a share of the MacNaughton but I don't think they can finish as the one-seed (don't figure they can since they'd lose a UW-SCSU-MSU-M 3-way tie and a 4-way tie with MN mixed in).
              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Crap, I'm really messed up with 8th-11th.

Comment

http://www.playoffstatus.com/wchahoc...standings.html

Comment

Thanks! Where were you a couple hours ago when I was making this table? Haha, but at least now I can verify if it's correct.

Comment

That site shows that Denver can take third. How?

If Denver wins out, they'd have 33 points. Denver could not beat St. Cloud.

If North Dakota would lose out, Denver would lose the tiebreaker.

If Minnesota would lose out, they would be tied in at 33 points. They would be tied in the head-to-head and tied in conference wins. The four-game series tiebreaker would not apply. Thus, the winning margin tiebreaker would be used. Minnesota currently sits at a +24, while Denver is even. So I suppose technically, Denver could still beat Minnesota, but let's be realistic.

Comment

That site shows that Denver can take third. How?

If Denver wins out, they'd have 33 points. Denver could not beat St. Cloud.

If North Dakota would lose out, Denver would lose the tiebreaker.

If Minnesota would lose out, they would be tied in at 33 points. They would be tied in the head-to-head and tied in conference wins. The four-game series tiebreaker would not apply. Thus, the winning margin tiebreaker would be used. Minnesota currently sits at a +24, while Denver is even. So I suppose technically, Denver could still beat Minnesota, but let's be realistic.
                        This is also the only way Minnesota can drop as low as 7th would be Denver getting their goal differential up by more than 20 points this weekend with MN getting swept. Theoretically possible? Yes. But, like you say, let's be realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_MN View Post
                          This is also the only way Minnesota can drop as low as 7th would be Denver getting their goal differential up by more than 20 points this weekend with MN getting swept. Theoretically possible? Yes. But, like you say, let's be realistic.
                          DU is playing UAA, lets not rule a 24 goal weekend. :-)

And if Minnesota lost twice they'd only need to get 22, maybe less.

Great opportunity for Gwozdecky to open up the offense and see what the boyz can do.

Would be funny to see DU win 12 zip on Friday and then leading 9-1 on Sunday, pull the goalie with five minutes to play to try and get two goals.
                          Last edited by dggoddard; 03-06-2013, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                            DU is playing UAA, lets not rule a 20 weekend. :-)

And if Minnesota lost twice they'd only need to get 18, maybe less.

Great opportunity for Gwozdecky to open up the offense and see what the boyz can do.
                            that would probably get Shyiak fired.......
                            I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                              that would probably get Shyiak fired.......
                              And of course Donald would take all the credit. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X