Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston College '12-'13 Part III: Save us Hobey-John Gaudreaubey; you're our only hope

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College '12-'13 Part III: Save us Hobey-John Gaudreaubey; you're our only

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
    I really think people are selling this team short
    I agree. Think about this. When has a top seed ever played with fire and emotion against a lower seed in the HE quarterfinals? This format makes it easy for lackluster hockey. It's natural for a team to let down the second night. That's why in the (I think) nine years since Agganis opened, BU won in two games only ONCE (they won in a third game seven times and lost once). I get the idea that you don't want your "better" teams knocked out by a fluke early in the tournament so you make the series best 2 out of 3 (oh...wait a minute...silly me...that's not the reason...it's because they can MAKE MORE MONEY!! ), but it’s certainly more intense and exciting from a fan’s perspective when it’s a one and done “loser goes home” mentality. And I think that’s why the crowds are down. You notice they don’t have “best of” series in the NCAA basketball tournament. That’s because they know the first round games (just look at the arenas on TV) aren’t great money-makers. Nobody goes, primarily because (unless they’re wealthy) they want to “wait” for the even bigger games.

So I wouldn’t be so quick to write the Eagles off. They typically play better the higher the stakes. As for BU, you never know what you’re going to get, so that’s one of the things that makes this matchup so intriguing. Either way, if just the sheer drama associated with this scenario (perhaps Jack’s final game and the fact that they have to win to go to the NCAAs, and against BC to boot) doesn’t get people fired up, I don’t know what will!

Comment

• Re: Boston College '12-'13 Part III: Save us Hobey-John Gaudreaubey; you're our only

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
      With all due respect to USCHO, I've never quite understood why they waste their time with these bracket predictions as all those teams have game(s) left and will undoubtedly be moving from their current PWR positions.
      PREACH ON BROTHER!!! let's get those little woodward & bernstein's out there reporting how the bc-2 had their crime hidden by jwwry!! poor black boys would be doing long time hard
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        Either way, if just the sheer drama associated with this scenario (perhaps Jack’s final game and the fact that they have to win to go to the NCAAs, and against BC to boot) doesn’t get people fired up, I don’t know what will!
        agree and in our little world, this is a really fascinating game and couple that with BC seniors 14-0 in The Gahden and now you have the perfect scenario for JP to get the last laugh...........kinda

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
          agree and in our little world, this is a really fascinating game and couple that with BC seniors 14-0 in The Gahden and now you have the perfect scenario for JP to get the last laugh...........kinda
          And THAT, as they say, is why they play the game!

Comment

I see mookie is back to his obsession...

Comment

Sorry to read the news of Jerry. I can't imagine that is good, to have it happen twice in quick succession. More than healing quickly, I hope he heals completely this time.
              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                I agree. Think about this. When has a top seed ever played with fire and emotion against a lower seed in the HE quarterfinals? This format makes it easy for lackluster hockey. It's natural for a team to let down the second night. That's why in the (I think) nine years since Agganis opened, BU won in two games only ONCE (they won in a third game seven times and lost once). I get the idea that you don't want your "better" teams knocked out by a fluke early in the tournament so you make the series best 2 out of 3 (oh...wait a minute...silly me...that's not the reason...it's because they can MAKE MORE MONEY!! ), but it’s certainly more intense and exciting from a fan’s perspective when it’s a one and done “loser goes home” mentality. And I think that’s why the crowds are down. You notice they don’t have “best of” series in the NCAA basketball tournament. That’s because they know the first round games (just look at the arenas on TV) aren’t great money-makers. Nobody goes, primarily because (unless they’re wealthy) they want to “wait” for the even bigger games.

So I wouldn’t be so quick to write the Eagles off. They typically play better the higher the stakes. As for BU, you never know what you’re going to get, so that’s one of the things that makes this matchup so intriguing. Either way, if just the sheer drama associated with this scenario (perhaps Jack’s final game and the fact that they have to win to go to the NCAAs, and against BC to boot) doesn’t get people fired up, I don’t know what will!
                I guess it had to end this way, playing against BC for the HE Tournament and the NCAAs on the line. I guess fair is fair, BU has ended BCs hopes so many times in the past but maybe Jack has one more in him before he goes. It will be an interesting game on Friday. Too bad JY will be out but I hope his surgery goes well on Monday and his sight will be OK.
                NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

In regard to this team's chances, it's not like they are being asked to beat minnesota in a 7 game series. They are 4th in the PWR for a reason. That reason is there are a lot of flawed teams out there. Even the teams in front of them aren't perfect...quinnipiac and miami in game 3 action tonight. Even minnesota hasn't been crushing the opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    In regard to this team's chances, it's not like they are being asked to beat minnesota in a 7 game series. They are 4th in the PWR for a reason. That reason is there are a lot of flawed teams out there. Even the teams in front of them aren't perfect...quinnipiac and miami in game 3 action tonight. Even minnesota hasn't been crushing the opposition.
                    yup. no stand out team this year.
                    (except y'all)

probably see some weird team win their first, or a usual suspect get hot and win. (how was that for a fence sitting )
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Here is hoping for a quick, full recovery for Jerry. If he won't be able to coach Friday, that's a shame for he and Jack.
                      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

So many storylines for Friday night:

BC seniors (and the whole team for that matter) undefeated at the Garden.
                        BC seniors undefeated in the Hockey East tournament.
                        BC seniors closing in the the record for wins by a class (they are at 114). Class of 2001 had 117.
                        BU's NCAA tournament hopes on the line.
                        Jack Parker's last trip to the Garden.
                        Coach York's surgery.

The place should be rockin.

Comment

Today's fun fact:
                          BC has TWO winning streaks since November 2012 (when a 10-game win streak ended). Both are 3-game win streaks and not a single win in either of those winning streaks were against NCAA tournament teams. Of those 6 games combined, 4 were vs. Vermont (RPI 45), 1 vs. Northeastern (53), and 1 vs. Harvard (50).
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Remember when Kenny told us they were playing good hockey in mid-February

Some positives from this weekend:
                            1) The secondary scoring, goals from Dyroff, Spiro & Brown. Going to need those going forward
                            2) Penalty kill: 11-11 this weekend
                            3) Team played physical with them, and at times crossing on dirty (ala PC) and they didn't back down.

Negatives:
                            1) Turnovers, yikes
                            2) Powerplay: 1-11 on Saturday and for much of the time just looked lost out there. The really are loading up the 1st unit which results in the 2nd unit being much of a threat

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                              2) Powerplay: 1-11 on Saturday and for much of the time just looked lost out there. The really are loading up the 1st unit which results in the 2nd unit being much of a threat
                              Yes the 2nd PP unit is laughably bad and is a big problem. Particularly because they bring Whitney on D on the first unit and use up the rest of the good 4 forwards on the team up front on that top unit as well.

I'm not sure if the positives outweigh the negatives at this point from what I'm seeing.

Milner is not napping lately which is nice and that is a positive. He hasn't been called upon to make many big saves but did make one on Saturday night which was phenomenal. BC is going to need him to be great to win a trophy in either tournament.

Straight is actually looking reasonably decent which is great. Spiro, which I've said all year long, this kid has game and should be playing. He isn't big but plays big and has strength and actually knocks guys around and uses that to create puck possession and even shots/scoring chances.

Negatives: Coach York eye issues is a really big problem for BC if he is not on the bench, turnovers, no identity (still), lack of speed transition game that typically wins for BC in the postseason.

Not only do you lose York for games coming up (possibly) but probably all week of practice too. Cavanaugh and Brown will need to earn their paychecks this week.

BC is going to have to execute on the PP and hope the other team hands them PPs. Plain and simple IMO. And probably get a dirty goal or two from the secondary guys every night to keep advancing. You could argue as Carmine noted that teams are just handing games to BC here and those are a lot of the wins (or the fact that UVM is terrible).
                              Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 03-18-2013, 07:32 AM.
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                                Yes the 2nd PP unit is laughably bad and is a big problem. Particularly because they bring Whitney on D and use up the rest of the good 4 forwards on the team up front on that line.

I'm not sure if the positives outweigh the negatives at this point from what I'm seeing.

Milner is not napping lately which is nice. He hasn't been called upon to make many big saves but did make one on Saturday night which was phenomenal. BC is going to need him to be great to win a trophy in either tournament.

Negatives: Coach York eye issues is a really big problem for BC if he is not on the bench, turnovers, no identity (still), lack of speed transition game that typically wins for BC in the postseason.

Not only do you lose York for games coming up (possibly) but probably all week of practice too. Cavanaugh and Brown will need to earn their paychecks this week.
                                I love having Whitney back there, for 5'8" he has an absolute bomb, though him & Matheson back gives me nightmares of the 5 F unit

I guess the alternative is splitting up the big 4 forwards but that means relying more on the D. BTW I think Doherty was aiming for shin pads Saturday night.

Re Milner napping: I laughed, well done

Great test for Cav & Brown and a reminder that York unfortunately won't be here forever.

Comment

Working...
                                X