UNO @ tUMD: So many scenarios so little time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNO @ tUMD: So many scenarios so little time

UMD is looking for their first conference win since January and hopes to avoid falling further in the standings. UNO is looking to secure home ice and gain better position for the playoffs. I'll be happy if UMD splits or can do better than that. I'd like my team to stay in Minnesota so I can see the games. Who knows, we might be playing two straight weekends against each other.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Re: UNO @ tUMD: So many scenarios so little time

UNO is giving up goals in droves.

5 goals to UAA last Saturday night, and allowing them to go 4-6 on the power play? Allowing a guy to get the first points (2 goals) of his career against us? The fourth time this season UNO has allowed an opposing player's first career points? Allowing Wisconsin a season high 6 goals last night and 4 the night before? 10 goals in two games to them? Wisconsin scored more goals against us on the road than they did at home against Alabama Huntsville earlier this season. Wisconsin's nation's worst power play had two goals last night. 98 goals against is the most of any team in the country in D-1 with a winning record. Faulkner/Belfour/Massa aren't great, but, they aren't this bad.

The defense corps, which Coach Blais has spoon fed the media here as being the strength of the team, is way overrated. I am in the middle of doing a look at how many goals defenseman James Polk, and, in particular, Michael Young of UNO have been on the ice for this season. I know the answer is scary before I even finish as this one has jumped out at me all season. Young was on the ice for 4 of Wisconsin's goals just last night and that is far from the first such "performance" by him this season.

Considering how we finished last year and that this season is seemingly finishing on a carbon copy note, it make me wonder just how good of a hold Coach Blais has on the helm these days. My thinking about this is also somewhat colored by the performance of his last World Juniors team as well. It's like he's exhausted his supply of eau de Dean Blais or something.

UNO has now been whistled down for 13, thirteen too many men on the ice penalties this season. As many times as in the last 6 seasons, combined. That tell you anything? Something is wrong with the direction of this ship and I can't quite put my finger on what it is. This is the 2nd year in a row that a very promising start to a season has totally imploded, and, in a shocking manner. We've now lost 5 in a row, all at home. And except for one game, in front of large enthusiastic crowds. 45,000+ over the last 5 games! (later edit: I was WAY off here. The actual, official attendance for UNO's last 5 home games, not including the under 18 team exhibition game, has been 55,074--an average 11,015 fans per game--UNO is 4th in the nation in attendance this season.)

To me, something is lacking in the execution and in the effort being put forth here. I think leadership is an issue (and definitely was last year after Coach Blais kicked our senior captain off the team entirely) as this team only has 3 seniors on it (Faulkner, Aneloski, and Gwidt).

I would not be shocked if UNO swept UMD or if we got swept. Just about anything is possible in my book. My bet is your offense "all of sudden" looks a lot a better than it has, that's for sure. I am totally pessimistic, I'm sorry to say.
    Last edited by Red Cows; 03-03-2013, 11:13 PM.

Comment

I remember you saying how many too many on the ice penalties you had in November...and that hasn't been resolved? What is going on with that. It is pretty bad to give up so many goals, and PP to that Wisconsin team. Sounds like with the lack of leadership this UNO is team is not going far in the playoffs. Your post gives me confidence UMD can split or do better than that.

I want a conference win!
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
        I remember you saying how many too many on the ice penalties you had in November...and that hasn't been resolved? What is going on with that. It is pretty bad to give up so many goals, and PP to that Wisconsin team. Sounds like with the lack of leadership this UNO is team is not going far in the playoffs. Your post gives me confidence UMD can split or do better than that.

I want a conference win!
        Coach Blais keeps saying when he's been asked about it by the local media about all the too-many-men-on-the-ice penalties that it is the fault of the coaching staff. However, he hasn't said anything how it is being addressed (if it even has been) and it obviously appears to have not been since we have not even gone so much as 3 straight games all season without being nailed with one this year.

Here is the last (unacceptable response) that he had to the situation:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2013020...702019838/1001

This has cost UNO 7 goals this season! Utterly ridiculous! Nothing like giving and comfort to the enemy. He thinks this is funny?

This is a "get your *** in my office" if I am the A.D., and "explain this nonsense to me" kind of thing.

I mean, this is completely inexcusable.

UNO has had a couple entire seasons where this has not been called on them even once! This is only the 16th year of the program!

Coach Blais said on his radio show right before the first of the year (paraphrased) that while this isn't the most talented team he's had in his coaching career they are the "most focused" team he has ever had. If that is true then they are obviously the dumbest. They can't even count to 5!

UNO. In 3 seasons under Dean Blais, UNO is 1-10 in the month of March in the WCHA. that includes the "loss" to Michigan in the NCAA tournament (1-9 if you think that game is still going).

Comment

Like I said, gaptooth has lost his touch. Hiring jutting? REALLY? 13 TMM penalties? At the Saturday game VS Wisc UNO didn't look anywhere close to a team that wanted to win. And to keep faulkner in there after he gave up 4 goals much less 6 is rediculous. It was painful watching faulkner look at the bench like he knew he was going to get pulled but he didn't. I'm so glad I didn't blow money on season tickets. It seems like blais is just going to let his contract run out and retire because he knows UNO can't afford to buy him out.
          UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

You guys are giving me confidence that UMD can sweep you guys. Man things sounds messed up.
            Gaptooth has come to UNO with a lot of deserved hype. He is a great coach. But he is not living up to the hype and this year has been a big struggle at times for you guys (same for us but at least we didn't have players leave for the CHL or leave the team).

Therefore Dean Blais is the Tubby Smith of College Hockey.
            Last edited by Biddco; 03-05-2013, 08:08 PM.
            tUMD Hockey

Comment

There is no telling which UNO team shows up this weekend.

The team that came darn near sweeping the Gophers in Mariucci in November (and has 6 WCHA sweeps this season)? Or the one that has looked like they wanted to be somewhere else (and our defensemen mostly were) for the past 5 games?

Brent Gwindt is talking the talk, for himself and the team, but they sure aren't walking the walk:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2013030...s-brent-gwindt

We seem to have the talent. I think we'll be much improved next season as we have another good class coming in and we will have the most upper classmen we've had in awhile next season. Eighteen juniors and seniors next season if everybody comes back. Some won't, I think. Coach Blais keeps saying how Sustr for sure isn't coming back and how all the scouts are "drooling" over him. All I can say about that is, if that's the case, how come he has yet to be drafted by anybody, then?

My concerns next season are: Who is going to be the goalie, and, is our defense corps going to be improved? Putting pucks in the net is not going to be an issue.

I wonder how much longer Coach Blais is going to stick around, too. My bet is until we have one season completed in our new arena. That's my guess. 3 more seasons, perhaps, then? Then I can almost unequivocally guarantee you that either Mike Hastings or Mike Guentzel is going to be UNO's next head coach. If one of them isn't, they will sure be on Trev Alberts short list in any event.

This team could win the WCHA tourney or go out in two straight again this season. At this point I don't have a clue what is going to happen. My guess is that we're gonna get DU in the first round, here or there, that could go either way, and they are not a good match-up for us at all. We have not won at Magness since 1997 and DU is 12-3-2 against us all time.

Interesting that UMD and UNO have given up the exact same number of goals this season so far, 98. Except that UNO has scored more goals than any team in the nation except for the Gophers. I'd really like to see Ryan Walters have a big weekend but I think his Hobey Baker chances are probably down the tubes right along with UNO's season ending slide here.

I think this weekend is a split. UNO Friday and UMD Saturday.

Comment

You guys are giving me lots of confidence for my squad this weekend. Knowing that however means they will probably split and disappointing. I want a season highlight from this team...otherwise it will be a disappointing year.
                tUMD Hockey

Comment

You guys are giving me lots of confidence for my squad this weekend. Knowing that however means they will probably split and disappointing. I want a season highlight from this team...otherwise it will be a disappointing year.
                  Grandma's Thanksgiving weekend was your season highlight
                  tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                    Grandma's Thanksgiving weekend was your season highlight
                    Actually I'm going to go with the time we got a bunch of chants started with this random 4 year old Bulldog fan. He wasn't afraid to start so we joined in! It was great
                    tUMD Hockey

Comment

Bad UNO series prophecy being fulfilled. I must say I am not surprised.

As I said before, something is wrong here and I am pretty convinced there is something going on that it isn't outwardly evident. It's like there is some sort of team issue that isn't being discussed or talked about. This team is seriously looking like it almost isn't even being coached. That is either a team attitude problem or a coaching staff problem. We've look like we almost aren't even trying some of the time now.

Prediction: We lose tomorrow night, too, and get swept out of the WCHA playoffs as well in 2 straight. My confidence in what is going with this team is exactly zero right now. Seriously.

Absolutely head scratching things going on every game. Tonight, UNO is the beneficiary of a major penalty and game misconduct 32 seconds into the 2nd period holding a 3-1 lead. UMD kills the entire penalty and then scores just 19 seconds after it's over to make it 3-2 and scores again just 1:31 later to make it 3-3. Then, later in the same period, UNO allows 2 power play goals by Mike Seidel just 37 seconds apart that were the result of two different power plays, the 2nd power play goal coming just 6 seconds after the faceoff!

After UNO gets one back to make it 5-4 UMD early in the third, we are so dyslexic in our own end that we can't get the goalie off the ice and the extra attacker on until there is less than a minute left in the game.

Tragic. Horrendous. Awful (insert your adjective of choice here).

One "positive", I guess. We didn't get a too-many-men-on-the-ice penalty tonight. Wow, no great loss without some gain, huh?

We have to win and need only one of Denver, Mankato, or Wisconsin to lose tomorrow night to get home ice. If they all win, we're on the road no matter what we do tomorrow night.

Comment

Red cows:
                        Why would Hastings leave MSU unless UNO paid him a lot more? He is already doing well at MSU and if he takes this team into the WCHA they can make the NCAA almost every year.
                        Originally posted by SJHovey
                        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                        Originally posted by Brenthoven
                        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Yes it seems like something is going on with UNO that is not being let outside of the program. Still it is going to be really tough for UMD to get a sweep tomorrow. I expect UNO to play angry and hard to sweep.

I hope what we saw from UMD tonight is a sign that this team won't give up and has a playoff win and Final Five run in them. It was great to seem them score a ton tonight and play from behind. I was really worried after we went down by two goals at the start of the game. But they found a way to come back and it felt great to get our first WCHA win since Jan.

I cannot wait for tomorrow after the game so I can find where the hell UMD is going to play. Cmon Minnesota State!
                          tUMD Hockey

Comment

Reason for UNO playing poorly? Troy Jutting
                            tUMD Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                              Bad UNO series prophecy being fulfilled. I must say I am not surprised.

As I said before, something is wrong here and I am pretty convinced there is something going on that it isn't outwardly evident. It's like there is some sort of team issue that isn't being discussed or talked about. This team is seriously looking like it almost isn't even being coached. That is either a team attitude problem or a coaching staff problem. We've look like we almost aren't even trying some of the time now.

Prediction: We lose tomorrow night, too, and get swept out of the WCHA playoffs as well in 2 straight. My confidence in what is going with this team is exactly zero right now. Seriously.

Absolutely head scratching things going on every game. Tonight, UNO is the beneficiary of a major penalty and game misconduct 32 seconds into the 2nd period holding a 3-1 lead. UMD kills the entire penalty and then scores just 19 seconds after it's over to make it 3-2 and scores again just 1:31 later to make it 3-3. Then, later in the same period, UNO allows 2 power play goals by Mike Seidel just 37 seconds apart that were the result of two different power plays, the 2nd power play goal coming just 6 seconds after the faceoff!

After UNO gets one back to make it 5-4 UMD early in the third, we are so dyslexic in our own end that we can't get the goalie off the ice and the extra attacker on until there is less than a minute left in the game.

Tragic. Horrendous. Awful (insert your adjective of choice here).

One "positive", I guess. We didn't get a too-many-men-on-the-ice penalty tonight. Wow, no great loss without some gain, huh?

We have to win and need only one of Denver, Mankato, or Wisconsin to lose tomorrow night to get home ice. If they all win, we're on the road no matter what we do tomorrow night.
                              Don't be so dramatic. They'll TIE tomorrow... then lose in 2 in the WCHA playoffs.
                              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Working...
                              X