Maine 2012-2013 Fade to Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine 2012-2013 Fade to Black

These rumors circulating are ridiculous. Whitehead will be back........hopefully, armed with a contract extension. We can't afford to lose recruits because the administration drags its feet (like they did with Cosgrove this past fall/winter). Whitehead deserves the chance to develop the current group of younger players........they look very solid.

Comment

Yes, Whitey also developed Nyquist, Flynn and Abbot. How'd that work out? Which brings up a point. Here you have 2 Hobey finalists and the best any of those teams can do is drag themselves into 1 NCAA quarterfinal where they get their azz handed to them. Pretty solid proof of poor coaching if you ask me. 2 Hobey FINALISTS, and thats all you got ??

Que Sandie here to tell me how crazy I am and how Whitey is our hero.

Just sitting back day dreaming here, but can you imagine the instant buzz there would be around the program and the University if Abbott brought in one of those guys to start out the next season?
      Last edited by all bear; 03-05-2013, 08:20 AM.
      sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
        Yes, Whitey also developed Nyquist, Flynn and Abbot. How'd that work out? Which brings up a point. Here you have 2 Hobey finalists and the best any of those teams can do is drag themselves into 1 NCAA quarterfinal where they get their azz handed to them. Pretty solid proof of poor coaching if you ask me. 2 Hobey FINALISTS, and thats all you got ??

Que Sandie here to tell me how crazy I am and how Whitey is our hero.

Just sitting back day dreaming here, but can you imagine the instant buzz there would be around the program and the University if Abbott brought in one of those guys to start out the next season?
        IF Abbott decides to go in a different direction (I'd rather see a new coach than to have Whitehead keep coaching without an extension)........the table will be set in goal with Ouellette and Morris. With solid goaltenders, Maine needs to learn how to develop its offense. If there is one place that I can fault Whitehead, it is the difficulty that he has had in developing a quick crisp attack on opposing goaltenders. Here's hoping that improves next season........I'm confident that Coach W will see this as an area to improve upon.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
          Yes Wally, but you're royalty. She would never deign to speak to one of the commoners
          I told her that I was a moderator on uscho and she completely melted !!!

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
            I told her that I was a moderator on uscho and she completely melted !!!
            Well done.
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
              I was told he will leave the Leafs..he knows Maine.. more importantly, he knows Maine hockey.
              No, he doesn't. He was a sparkling 20-13-2 in his time filling in for Shawn Walsh in 1995-96 and 1996-97. Walsh led the same teams to 14-3-3 and 15-3-0 in the time he wasn't suspended. And that was two decades ago. In six seasons at the helm of Northeastern he was 17 games under .500 with only 2008-09 keeping his record from truly sucking. So why would Maine be eager to welcome him back?

Comment

No, he doesn't. He was a sparkling 20-13-2 in his time filling in for Shawn Walsh in 1995-96 and 1996-97. Walsh led the same teams to 14-3-3 and 15-3-0 in the time he wasn't suspended. And that was two decades ago. In six seasons at the helm of Northeastern he was 17 games under .500 with only 2008-09 keeping his record from truly sucking. So why would Maine be eager to welcome him back?
                Because Whitehead is currently umpteen games under 500 ??
                sure why not

Comment

Because Whitehead is currently umpteen games under 500 ??
                  Really? His overall record is 325-262-64 (.548), his record at Maine is 249-169-53 (.585) and in the last six years is 95-100-27 (.489). This will be his third season under .500

And you think it's a good idea to replace him with a coach with an even worse record? Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                    I know this might be too positive for some of you folks here. No denying the team isn't what it once was, but here's a feature story I did on Maine hockey, Alfond with some tidbits of this year's team.sbn.to/XPp6RD
                    Dead on...last line was perfect.
                    Been a long time, been a long time been a long, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time

Thank you, Tim. You did what you could and could do no more.

Comment

• Re: Maine 2012-2013 Fade to Black

Really? His overall record is 325-262-64 (.548), his record at Maine is 249-169-53 (.585) and in the last six years is 95-100-27 (.489). This will be his third season under .500

And you think it's a good idea to replace him with a coach with an even worse record? Interesting.
                      Was talking about this season. So you dont think Cro would do a better job than Whitey at UMaine huh? Interesting.

Have you forgotten Timmays stellar 10-17-7 record this year? Maine may have finally reached Chriss!!!!s benchmark this year.
                      Last edited by all bear; 03-05-2013, 10:37 AM.
                      sure why not

Comment

You are really arguing about records knowing that Cronin had things trending up in a ridiculous manner prior to leaving NU? If he was still there his teams would have been pretty freaking good... better than anything Whitehead produced at Maine once the Walsh residuals were gone. I feel comfortable saying that. Cronin also inherited a disaster, which drags down his record tremendously. Whitehead had the opposite effect, inheriting a solid team that bumped his record up.
                        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                          You are really arguing about records knowing that Cronin had things trending up in a ridiculous manner prior to leaving NU? If he was still there his teams would have been pretty freaking good... better than anything Whitehead produced at Maine once the Walsh residuals were gone. I feel comfortable saying that. Cronin also inherited a disaster, which drags down his record tremendously. Whitehead had the opposite effect, inheriting a solid team that bumped his record up.
                          2 things impossible to do on this board. Make any sense from things you or priceless say.
                          sure why not

Comment

2 things impossible to do on this board. Make any sense from things you or priceless say.
                            I realize facts and numbers have a known bias but I still like to use them rather than purely subjective criteria. That can be difficult for some minds to process so I'll dumb it down for you: Cronin bad. Do not hire.

Was Cronin "trending up" when Northeastern went from 25 to 16 wins or 16 to 14?

Comment

I realize facts and numbers have a known bias but I still like to use them rather than purely subjective criteria. That can be difficult for some minds to process so I'll dumb it down for you: Cronin bad. Do not hire.

Was Cronin "trending up" when Northeastern went from 25 to 16 wins or 16 to 14?
                              Gimp, I doubt I will have any trouble with numbers. So who TF do you think was talking about trending ? Geezus, pay attention.
                              sure why not

Comment

Cronin bad. Do not hire.
                                ..could not disagree with you more. Although (again), hope he does not take the helm.. as i so want him to come back to NU. Of course that will not happen.. just wishful thinking on my part.
                                GO NU HOCKEY
                                Always bullish on the future.
                                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X