Maine 2012-2013 Fade to Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine 2012-2013 Fade to Black

The article by Larry, containing comments by Abbott and Whitehead, tells me he is coming back for one year at a minimum. Others could read it differently.

Comment

A thorough review....at least its not a task force.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
        What did you take from this article to lead you to believe that TW's a goner..? Just wondering...I came away after reading it as just a sure fire: Talk is Cheap and Whiskey Co$t Money...meaning nothing said or done and TBA at a later date....keeping all of us wondering(whats new?)
        Its extremely rare in any sport a coach isn't endorsed by their higher ups. I think if there was much chance of Timmy coming back Abbott would have said something completely different. Read the bit about attendance too. Even rigging the numbers Maine is 800 off from where they were a couple years ago. I'm sure the athletic department knows how many people are actually turning up and it is a lot worse than that. They're scanning the tickets so there is no way that data isn't going someplace. That's a huge amount of money they are losing, which is obviously an issue up there right now. Maine hasn't had a genuine national title contender since 2006, how much longer can you wait?
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

The article on Mens BBall, Abbott said Woodward would be back, no question.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
            Its extremely rare in any sport a coach isn't endorsed by their higher ups. I think if there was much chance of Timmy coming back Abbott would have said something completely different. Read the bit about attendance too. Even rigging the numbers Maine is 800 off from where they were a couple years ago. I'm sure the athletic department knows how many people are actually turning up and it is a lot worse than that. They're scanning the tickets so there is no way that data isn't going someplace. That's a huge amount of money they are losing, which is obviously an issue up there right now. Maine hasn't had a genuine national title contender since 2006, how much longer can you wait?
            I'm an outsider here, but I'm inclined to agree with your reading what's between the lines. I also think that the fact that Abbott's contract is up later this year, as was reported, puts some pressure on him to make the change now. A "fresh start" campaign to sell season tickets may be the goal. Of course, that logic must be balanced against the buyout of a $190K contract, which has fiscal implications as well.
            We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
            ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
            --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
              The article on Mens BBall, Abbott said Woodward would be back, no question.
              Ted recently had his contract extended through 2015.

Comment

• Originally posted by goblue View Post
                I'm an outsider here, but I'm inclined to agree with your reading what's between the lines. I also think that the fact that Abbott's contract is up later this year, as was reported, puts some pressure on him to make the change now. A "fresh start" campaign to sell season tickets may be the goal. Of course, that logic must be balanced against the buyout of a $190K contract, which has fiscal implications as well.
                If Abbott is staying there is no problem. If he is going, does he want his last major decision to be firing a highly visible coach? The people here will say yes without hesitation but if you were in his shoes it wouldn't be so easy. Then, does he hire the new coach who will have to work with the new AD, or does he wait and let the new AD find a new coach? Or does he simply do nothing and let his successor deal with it? Hmmm...Abbott is a politician...wonder which route he'd choose....

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                  If Abbott is staying there is no problem. If he is going, does he want his last major decision to be firing a highly visible coach? The people here will say yes without hesitation but if you were in his shoes it wouldn't be so easy. Then, does he hire the new coach who will have to work with the new AD, or does he wait and let the new AD find a new coach? Or does he simply do nothing and let his successor deal with it? Hmmm...Abbott is a politician...wonder which route he'd choose....
                  Sadly your last sentence says it all.

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
                    Something tells me that if the "right" hire was made now (to wit, a Maine guy like Monty, Pellerin or Corkum) then ticket sales would soar on the basis of optimism alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      Something tells me that if the "right" hire was made now (to wit, a Maine guy like Monty, Pellerin or Corkum) then ticket sales would soar on the basis of optimism alone.
                      You would think so in that sales of Season tickets/Single game sales could see a spike in it and could increase interest in Advertising & New Donations towards the Program...But does Abbott make such a BOLD move..? Time will tell here.

Comment

Whoa! Everyone needs to chill. There were many good things about last season that we can hang our hats on. We had a good class that came in, worked hard and is developing and we have a very good class coming in again. So recruiting is doing well.
                        I really like our coaching staff. They are knowledgeable and we've always competed against the best programs in the Nation.
                        Although we started off slow we came back with an excellent second half and things will be great for next season.
                        Real fans support their team during the ups and the downs. Now I'm not saying this is a down because the program is still one of the best in College hockey and we have a lot of young players and that's why y'all have to chill and enjoy Black Bear hockey

Comment

I'm glad to see that Coach Whitehead is coming back and hopefully, a new 3 year extension is on its way as well. He did a great job this season under very difficult circumstances. They were very young and lost a lot of terrific players from last seasons' team. Early departures have really hit this program hard. It is also very difficult to attract recruits to Orono, Maine. It's a very boring place with not a lot to do. Alfond ain't all that either..........and the fans are way too hard on the players. If anything, the fans put too much pressure on the players and coaches to win. You'd think that the teams' stellar GPA would be enough........these guys are here to get an education first and playing hockey is icing on the cake.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Papa View Post
                            Whoa! Everyone needs to chill. There were many good things about last season that we can hang our hats on. We had a good class that came in, worked hard and is developing and we have a very good class coming in again. So recruiting is doing well.
                            I really like our coaching staff. They are knowledgeable and we've always competed against the best programs in the Nation.
                            Although we started off slow we came back with an excellent second half and things will be great for next season.
                            Real fans support their team during the ups and the downs. Now I'm not saying this is a down because the program is still one of the best in College hockey and we have a lot of young players and that's why y'all have to chill and enjoy Black Bear hockey
                            Going .500 is "excellent"? My, how expectations for Maine hockey have fallen.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Maine is making a return trip to Hamden next year to play Quinnipiac.
                              QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                              2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                              2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                              2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                              https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
                              https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                              https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

If the program is 250k short (what TIMMAY said he needs to raise) then how do you expect the U to but him out. He will be back, period. It's nice to speculate but it's not happening.

Comment

Working...
                                X