NMU Wildcat Program Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NMU Wildcat Program Issues

I'd like to start a real discussion - objective, not filled with emotions or bias, regarding the state of the NMU hockey program.

Finishing 10th is obviously not a good thing.

Do folks think it's time for a coaching change? Nothing personal, just professional to give this program a new boost. It happens in every sport, at all levels. Change is often very good, what do folks think here? Thanks.

Re: NMU Wildcat Program Issues

NO!
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Is BOOT WALT KYLE still around?

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
        NO!

Comment

Please, fire Walt. He's done nothing but make NMU the most successful program in the UP for a decade now.

Seriously, one subpar year in which you still won 15+ games is not the reason to unload him. A couple more 10th place finishes in the new WCHA, and then you've probably got a reason to be concerned.

Comment

Let's compare the New WCHA school over the careers of their current senior class the last four years, in order of winning percentage, followed by fewest wins in a season & NCAA tourney appearances:

1 Ferris 80-55-21 15-1
            2 NMU 67-63-23 15-1
            3 Alaska 62-63-22 12-1
            4 Bemidji 61-64-20 6-1**
            5 LSSU 62-71-20 13-0
            6 Minn St 63-72-14 12-1*
            7 UAA 40-87-14 4-0
            8 Bowling Green 42-95-20 5-0
            9 MTU 36-93-13 4-0
            10 UAH 21-93-7 3-1**

* will make tourney this year
            ** earned in the five team CHA

NMU finishes the regular season just 2 under .500. Disappointing? Yes. But hardly a disaster. And would we be having the conversation if NMU had split with St Cloud and Wisconsin but had 2 more CCHA wins to end up 7th, above where both the coaches and media placed them in the preseason polls?
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Since I'm from the Walt Kyle era of NMU hockey, I don't want to see Walt go. A couple of tough seasons and the loss of key players in the last few years hasn't helped. But, as it's been stated before in other discussions, there wouldn't be all that many options out there for someone to step into Kyle's place.

I think the offense struggled to find itself this year on a consistent basis and the D did not play up to its potential. But, we beat some top teams this year and had the puck-luck been there in certain games, or we hadn't had our third period troubles in certain games, it would have been a little better season. The season's not over yet anyway. I don't like the fact that we're going to Yost, but who knows what will happen?

One thing I'm hoping (and my hopes may not be realized or even realistic), is that Coreau decides to stay. We are only losing two of our key d-men in Macaulay and Follmer and I think our offense will remain somewhat stable and improved as we're only losing a few of those guys (Thurber, Nugent & Kaunisto). The nWCHA will prove to be interesting, and I think NMU and the other teams will be on fire to prove themselves in the realignment. I think to change a coaching regime and philosophy at this point would not be beneficial going forward into a new conference lineup.

Go 'Cats.
              NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Working...
              X