2013 WCHA Final Five: end of hockey's great tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 WCHA Final Five: end of hockey's great tournament

50 years of college hockey's greatest tradition comes to a dramatic conclusion. Sayonara sunshine

At least I started the thread before you
    Go Gophers!

Re: 2013 WCHA Final Five: end of hockey's great tournament

The tournament will not end, just the team that you cheer for won't be playing in it. The WCHA will continue without the gophers, huskies, pioneers, tigers, bulldogs, badgers, and ?(formerly sioux).

Comment

Isn't it technically going to be a different tournament? With less teams and less games?

So sad it is going away

Did not get enough years of it. This year will only be my 5th. Nothing better than feeling that warm spring weather as you tailgate around all of your friends and fellow fans.
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Just got my 9 ticket packages in the mail this week. Somehow was able to get really good lower-level middle seats with a big group of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Clark Fan Club View Post
          The tournament will not end, just the team that you cheer for won't be playing in it. The WCHA will continue without the gophers, huskies, pioneers, tigers, bulldogs, badgers, and ?(formerly sioux).
          No love for the other Mavericks?

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            50 years of college hockey's greatest tradition comes to a dramatic conclusion. Sayonara sunshine

Nothing is coming to an end. And this tournament hasn't always had 5 or 6 teams. It will be back to the four it had for many seasons. It hasn't always been in St Paul either. I went to a few in Milwaukee as well. It's simply a matter of some schools leaving, some schools joining. It will be very interesting to see how everything looks 3 or 4 years from now
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Husckey Domi Nation View Post
              No love for the other Mavericks?
              Since they've yet to make the F5 they haven't really earned any love.
              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

When individual game tickets go on sale, what are my odds of getting 4 lower level tickets next to each other for the championship game?
                Originally posted by SJHovey
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  Nothing is coming to an end. And this tournament hasn't always had 5 or 6 teams. It will be back to the four it had for many seasons. It hasn't always been in St Paul either. I went to a few in Milwaukee as well. It's simply a matter of some schools leaving, some schools joining. It will be very interesting to see how everything looks 3 or 4 years from now
                  Yes, the Final Five as we know it is coming to an end. It is without a doubt the best college hockey tourament out there. It is so much more fun to attend because of the location, and proximity to massive fan bases. The only thing that will be the same about the Final Five, will be the name. Other than that, after this year, it will not even be close to the same thing. I have attended for 11 straight years, and I will probably never go again after this year. I would expect many season ticket holders will do the same. I hate to admit it but, North Dakota and Minnesota fans made this tournament what it is, and without them there, I won't go. I am not going to spend that much money to attend a tournament that maybe will fill 1/4 of the X.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

If you read this from a different perspective, it's still accurate.

(Assuming that 5mn_Major has attended the Final Five to cheer on his team the last 50 years.)
                    scsuhockey.com
                    CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

It isn't accurate. End of story. Dumb thread title. A thread called, "ButtHurt And Biatch10 Team's Final Fiinal Five" would have been accurate. But then of course several of those ButtHurt and Biatch10 teams likely won't be in it.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                        It isn't accurate. End of story. Dumb thread title. A thread called, "ButtHurt And Biatch10 Team's Final Fiinal Five" would have been accurate. But then of course several of those ButtHurt and Biatch10 teams likely won't be in it.
                        Being you've willingly never attended one, how can you be certain?
                        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                          Being you've willingly never attended one, how can you be certain?
                          Simple Math. Allow me to explain it for you. When you add up the total number of ButtHurt and Biatch10 teams leaving the WCHA you get a number that exceeds the total number of teams that can qualify for this years WCHA Final Five tournament.

Addition FTMFW ...

See?

Comment

Originally posted by as15 View Post
                            Yes, the Final Five as we know it is coming to an end. It is without a doubt the best college hockey tourament out there. It is so much more fun to attend because of the location, and proximity to massive fan bases. The only thing that will be the same about the Final Five, will be the name. Other than that, after this year, it will not even be close to the same thing. I have attended for 11 straight years, and I will probably never go again after this year. I would expect many season ticket holders will do the same. I hate to admit it but, North Dakota and Minnesota fans made this tournament what it is, and without them there, I won't go. I am not going to spend that much money to attend a tournament that maybe will fill 1/4 of the X.
                            You have incorrect information. Why would a four team tournament be named the Final Five? Will it be the same? Certainly not. It has absolutely been one of the premier college sporting events. I have enjoyed many in the past in both St Paul & Milwaukee. And will enjoy them every bit as much in Grand Rapids and possibly Green Bay along with St Paul in the coming years. The Gopher and Fighting Whioux fans are terrific. They bring a lot of passion. But so do fans from Bemidji, Ferris State and Northern Michigan. Will there be 17,000 of them? Probably not. But don't bet your last dollar on the Target Center filling up either. The WCHA will survive. But unfortunately it won't have the nice mix of big time schools and medium schools and small schools all within a reasonable drive. I
                            doubt that any of the three tournaments can match what the WCHA has done in St Paul and even what the CCHA has done in Detroit. Although the Big 14 will likely do well both in St Paul and Detroit.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Look, I don't care who you cheer for, the Final Five is coming to an end. This is an incredible weekend, and there's not a conference tournament like it in college hockey. The WCHA tournament will continue on, but it will be NOTHING like the current Final Five. Neither will the NCHC or B1G tournament. The atmosphere has grown into something special that wont be duplicated.
                              AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Working...
                              X