Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrimack River Rivalry 3/1 and 3/3

Originally posted by UML View Post
    I just heard that all 7 MC fans will be at Tsongas Friday night.
    Hey that's not true! MC regularly sells out its massive arena and with all the other fun things going on around campus in North Andover that's quite an accomplishment! The last time I saw them play on the road they brought a couple of hundred rowdy fans, oh wait, I'm thinking about Andover High playing Chelmsford High at the Forum in Billerica. Nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishhawk View Post
      Hey that's not true! MC regularly sells out its massive arena and with all the other fun things going on around campus in North Andover that's quite an accomplishment! The last time I saw them play on the road they brought a couple of hundred rowdy fans, oh wait, I'm thinking about Andover High playing Chelmsford High at the Forum in Billerica. Nevermind.
      Well, I expect Lawler will be full or close too it. It'd be nice if Lowell can come out hard and fast and keep them quiet, though.
      Gary

www.umlhockey.com
      Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
      "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
      KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
        Well, I expect Lawler will be full or close too it. It'd be nice if Lowell can come out hard and fast and keep them quiet, though.
        And unlike last time ... you know, score a goal...
        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Should be a very good weekend of games. The first ten minutes of Friday night will be very important for the entire weekend. If Merrimack does not meet Lowell's intensity than I do not know if this young team has the composure to bounce back. I see a split happening this weekend with both home teams winning. I say Lowell 5 2 in Friday with an open net goal and Merrimack 2 1 on Saturday
          Rinks Visited
          DCU Center
          Tulley Forum
          TD Garden
          Tsongas Arena
          J. Thom Lawler Arena
          Conte Forum
          Whittemore Center
          Agganis Arena
          Verizon Center
          Gutterson Fieldhouse
          Matthews Arena
          Thompson Arena
          Mullins Center
          Alfond Arena
          Schneider Arena
          Magness Arena
          Ingallas Arena
          Hart Center
          Prudential Center
          TD Bank Sports Center
          John A Ryan
          Lynah Rink
          Appleton Arena
          Cheel Arena
          Germain Arena
          XL Center
          Class of 1965 Arena

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
            And unlike last time ... you know, score a goal...
            I'd be ok with that, preferably four.
            Gary

www.umlhockey.com

"It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
            KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Tough to pick against Lowell right now. 15-2-1 in the last 18. Both losses were with Carr in net. I think we continue to see Hellebuyck as he has proven to be the team's best goalie this season. Ride him as far as he will take you. Both games should be close though. Excited to see the Tsongas packed again.

Comment

So, did Merrimack really believe that pulling the goalie the second time was actually going to help?
                UML 2007 B.S. Meteorology, 2012 M.S. Meteorology

2013 Hockey East Tournament Champions.
                2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions.
                2017 Hockey East Tournament Champions.

http://storm.uml.edu
                https://twitter.com/umlweatherman

Comment

Originally posted by UMLWeatherman View Post
                  So, did Merrimack really believe that pulling the goalie the second time was actually going to help?
                  Eh, I don't blame them.

Really chippy game... some shades of Merrihack out there. I thought the reffing job was fairly iffy.

edit: for whatever reason, the stat keepers didn't make the third goal of the game an ENG.
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                    Eh, I don't blame them.

Really chippy game... some shades of Merrihack out there. I thought the reffing job was fairly iffy.

edit: for whatever reason, the stat keepers didn't make the third goal of the game an ENG.
                    At least they didn't have Carr starting the whole game like they did at BU. Finally fixed it at the end of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                      I thought the reffing job was fairly iffy.
                      Especially when the that one ref tried to slice up a few of the players up by throwing his body, skates first down the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by UMLWeatherman View Post
                        No, but i think they were just hoping to score a goal and leave the rink on a postive note. Another tough hard fought game between these teams. Like the first meeting it came down to the team that got that first goal.

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                          No, but i think they were just hoping to score a goal and leave the rink on a positive note. Another tough hard fought game between these teams. Like the first meeting it came down to the team that got that first goal.
                          Indeed, you have to score one before you score two. Just ask Rico Blasi and the Miami folks about the other team pulling the goalie with 3:00 minutes left and how that worked in a certain big game in 2009. Occasionally, it does work.

Arguably, both teams did a pretty decent job last night. Like Bob said, it was just an intense, defensive. playoff-type hockey game. I didn't have a problem with the play from either side. Credit to Lowell for wearing down Merrimack, like they did to them exactly one month prior. Lowell didn't allow Merrimack to push them around like they did at Volpe/Lawler. As mentioned by someone in the Merrimack thread, they lack of secondary scoring has absolutely killed the Warriors of late. They are now 0-3-0 in this stretch run and with a loss tomorrow, Merrimack will likely be traveling as they would need serious help to gain home ice. With a win, Lowell will be playing for home ice on Friday, and perhaps a little more over the course of next weekend.

Looking forward to another great hockey game tomorrow afternoon.
                          - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by John_Fuller View Post
                            Indeed, you have to score one before you score two. Just ask Rico Blasi and the Miami folks about the other team pulling the goalie with 3:00 minutes left and how that worked in a certain big game in 2009. Occasionally, it does work.

Arguably, both teams did a pretty decent job last night. Like Bob said, it was just an intense, defensive. playoff-type hockey game. I didn't have a problem with the play from either side. Credit to Lowell for wearing down Merrimack, like they did to them exactly one month prior. Lowell didn't allow Merrimack to push them around like they did at Volpe/Lawler. As mentioned by someone in the Merrimack thread, they lack of secondary scoring has absolutely killed the Warriors of late. They are now 0-3-0 in this stretch run and with a loss tomorrow, Merrimack will likely be traveling as they would need serious help to gain home ice. With a win, Lowell will be playing for home ice on Friday, and perhaps a little more over the course of next weekend.

Looking forward to another great hockey game tomorrow afternoon.
                            I think some of our earlier choices of firing on net could have been slightly better but I thought we did all that we could to score... but when there's always somebody there to disrupt you are going to have problems... the only thing you can do is to get them to draw penalties*. MC really does seem like a very defense first team.

edit: *or some how score through a pile of bodies... easier said than done.
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Got an email from MC last night that Merrimack was releasing some more tickets yesterday. I'm assuming this will sell-out this afternoon.
                              Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                              2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                              2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                              2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                                Got an email from MC last night that Merrimack was releasing some more tickets yesterday. I'm assuming this will sell-out this afternoon.
                                I'd be surprised if it didn't.
                                Gary

www.umlhockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X