NEPSAC Playoffs 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEPSAC Playoffs 2013

All right, since there is a 40 page thread on Minnesota HS hockey, why not a brief one on NE Prep School hockey playoffs? Pairings are below with my predictions. In Division 1, thinking that Cushing gets by Westminster (injured key player) and gets to the semis/final in their own rink which is dangerous. Also, St. Pauls is over-rated after playing largely a powderpuff schedule and gets knocked off by a deeper Tabor team. In Division 1, big surprise is that undefeated Southfield ends up the #2 seed despite having beaten Gunnery this season - that had to be a bizarre discussion at the seedings meeting. Thinking that Middlesex-Rivers will be a good one despite an early season win by Middlesex.

Div. I
    #8 BB&N @ #1 Nobles, 4:00 pm
    #7 Williston @ #2 Choate, time 3:00 pm
    #6 Cushing @ #3 Westminster, 4:00 pm
    #5 Tabor @ #4 St. Paul's, 3:45pm

Div. II
    #8 Greenwich @ #1 Gunnery, TBD
    #7 Millbrook vs. #2 Southfield, 4:15 pm (@ Pomfret)
    #6 Proctor @ #3 Governor's, 3:15 pm
    #5 Rivers @ #4 Middlesex, 4:00 pm (@ Middlesex)

Re: NEPSAC Playoffs 2013

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    All right, since there is a 40 page thread on Minnesota HS hockey, why not a brief one on NE Prep School hockey playoffs? Pairings are below with my predictions. In Division 1, thinking that Cushing gets by Westminster (injured key player) and gets to the semis/final in their own rink which is dangerous. Also, St. Pauls is over-rated after playing largely a powderpuff schedule and gets knocked off by a deeper Tabor team. In Division 1, big surprise is that undefeated Southfield ends up the #2 seed despite having beaten Gunnery this season - that had to be a bizarre discussion at the seedings meeting. Thinking that Middlesex-Rivers will be a good one despite an early season win by Middlesex.

Div. I
    #8 BB&N @ #1 Nobles, 4:00 pm
    #7 Williston @ #2 Choate, time 3:00 pm
    #6 Cushing @ #3 Westminster, 4:00 pm
    #5 Tabor @ #4 St. Paul's, 3:45pm

Div. II
    #8 Greenwich @ #1 Gunnery, TBD
    #7 Millbrook vs. #2 Southfield, 4:15 pm (@ Pomfret)
    #6 Proctor @ #3 Governor's, 3:15 pm
    #5 Rivers @ #4 Middlesex, 4:00 pm (@ Middlesex)
    Are there any updated scores?

Comment

The games listed are played on Wednesday, then semifinals Saturday, Championships on Sunday. Semi's and Championships are being held at Cushing.

Comment

Choate's website shows a win over Williston, 4-0. The two skated to a tie in their regular season game.

Comment

St. Paul's over Tabor 2-0 lots of penalties...both St. Paul's goals on PP

Comment

Not confirmed but I heard Middlesex over Rivers 4-1

Comment

Westy's website has them losing to Cushing 1-0 in OT.

Comment

Updated scores are here:

http://girls.ushr.com/neprep/scores/20130225

Proctor and Govenor's play today at 4:30

Comment

Correct call on the Cushing win, but mis-called the St Pauls game. I've heard that the refereeing at St Pauls is one of the worst "homer" situations in New England and that may have played a factor since St Paul's scored both goals on the power play. Nevertheless, still surprised they got by a talented (but penalty prone) Tabor team - maybe they are the real deal despite the weak schedule.

Guess that the seedings committee got the Southfield second seed correct. Even though they tied in the Southfield tournament, I would have bet the farm that Southfield would beat them. Good thing I don't have a farm....

From Middlesex website, closer than the score would indicate .... Game winner scored with 4:00 minutes left and 2 Middlesex empty net goals. Have heard that Rivers took 11 penalties (vs 5 for Middlesex) including 5 by one of their better players and 3 by a second one of their better players. All of 8 penalities on the two players were of the checking, roughing, etc. variety - lack of discipline like that in a close game will kill a team - at some point doesn't a player have to get the message about how the refs are going to call the game (right or wrong)? Anyway - congratulations to Rivers on a good season with a young team - they should be strong next season if they can replace their graduating goalie.
                  Last edited by HockeyEast33; 03-01-2013, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Governors 2 Proctor 0 tonight.

So the semifinals on Saturday are as follows:

Division 1
                    Nobles vs St Pauls
                    Choate vs Cushing

Division 2
                    Middlesex vs Gunnery
                    Governors vs Millbrook

Division 1 - I'm going with Nobles and Choate to get to the finals. I'm still not a St Paul's convert and I think Choate is too talented to lose even in Cushing's building (but it will be interesting). I'll go with Choate over Nobles in the final.
                    Division 2 - Think both of these games are tossups. Gunnery beat Middlesex earlier this season by a goal, so I'll go counter and say Middlesex evens the season series. Governors should get by Millbrook (even though they beat Southfield). I think Middlesex gets by Governors in the final (if they can get by Gunnery) in a close low scoring game (unlike their 4-4 tie earlier this season).

Comment

Division 1

- St Pauls season comes apart in a 8-0 loss to Nobles - talk about the wheels coming off!
                      - Choate over Cushing 3-0 (beating them in their home rink)
                      - Sticking with Choate despite the Nobles blow out of St Pauls

Division 2
                      - Middlesex gives up 3 goals in the first 5 minutes, rights the ship, but loses to Gunnery 3-1
                      - Millbrook gets 2 in the first period and Governors only gets back half way - Millbrook 2-1
                      - Thinking Gunnery wins it all

Comment

2-0 Nobles end of 2

Comment

Gunnery 4, Millbrook 2

Nobles 4, Choate 0

Congratulations to the winners and to all the teams that earned the opportunity to participate in the tournament!!

Comment

Off the USHR Wesite:
                            2012-2013 New England Prep All-Stars Division II[/SIZE]
                            Player of the Year:
                            Kelcey Crawford, G, Proctor Academy, Sr. (Amherst, NH)

First Team
                            Forwards:
                            Annemarie Ng, Southfield, Sr. (Milton, Mass.)
                            Alison Quinn, Southfield, Sr. (Canton, Mass.)
                            Pam Schulman, Greenwich Academy, Sr. (Greenwich Conn.)

Defensemen:
                            Ashley Arnold, Middlesex, Sr. (Boxborough, Mass.)
                            Erin Hall, Southfield, Sr. (Pembroke, Mass.)
                            Kate Haslett, Brooks, Sr.. (Rothesay, NB, Canada)

Goaltender:Lan Crofton, Worcester Academy, Sr. (Milton, Mass.)
                            Second Team

Forwards:
                            Maeve McMahon, Groton, Sr. (Duxbury, Mass)
                            Melinda Prevost, Vermont, Jr. (Pierrefonds, Que., Canada)
                            Melissa Sheeran, Millbrook, Jr. (Schaghticoke, NY)

Defensemen:
                            Isabela Bagi, The Gunnery, Sr. (Branford, Conn.)
                            Emily Even, Millbrook, Sr. (Montreal West, Que., Canada)

Goaltender:
                            Jessica Thulin, Southfield, Sr. (Reading, Mass.)
                            Last edited by AlwaysZone8; 03-09-2013, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Off USHR:

New England Prep All-Star Teams 2012-2013
                              Division I

Player of the Year:
                              Phoebe Staenz, F, Choate, Sr. (Zurich, Switzerland)
                              First Team
                              Forwards:
                              Lexi Laing, Nobles, Jr. (Marblehead, Mass.)
                              Caitrin Lonergan, St. Paul’s School, Fr. (Roslindale, Mass.)
                              Briana Mastel, Choate Rosemary Hall, Sr. (Wallingford, Conn.)
                              Defensemen:
                              Natasha Rachlin, Nobles, Sr. (Brookline Mass.)
                              Eleni Tebano, Westminster, Sr. (Glastonbury, Conn.)
                              Goaltender:
                              Katie Burt, BB&N, Soph. (Lynn, Mass.)
                              Second Team
                              Forwards:
                              Tori DeAngelis, Westminster, Jr. (Sounderstown, RI)
                              Haley Mullins, Nobles, Jr. (East Greenwich, RI)
                              Makenna Newkirk, Pomfret, Soph. (Scottsdale, AZ)
                              Defensemen:
                              Bella Sinsigalli, Berkshire, Sr. (Redding, Conn.)
                              Jane Pagano, Tabor Academy, Sr. (Erie, PA)
                              Goaltender:
                              Brittany Bugalski, Loomis Chaffee, Soph. (Lake Worth, FL)

Comment

Working...
                              X