Education as a tool for the NHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Education as a tool for the NHL

How important do you think education is to a successful career in the NHL and then beyond?

Re: Education as a tool for the NHL

Depends on how good you are with a stick and skates. I highly doubt anyone wishes Crosby would have gotten a degree.

Comment

As a teacher, I believe an education is quite important. But it can come in many ways because not everyone is college material. Sidney Crosby is set for life and won't need to work beyond his playing days, but some (most players) journeyman players aren't as lucky (gifted). Unless you're extremely good with money and you can play in the NHL (where the money is for even the 12th forward or 6th Dman) for enough years to save up, you're going to need to put your brain to work somehow after your playing days are over.

Even for the Crosbys of the sport, many want to be involved in the NHL after retiring from playing (think GM's like George McPhee), and I'd be willing to bet no team wants an uneducated guy running the franchise.

Besides, who wants to play with a moron?
      "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Uneducated != moron

Plenty of people without formal educations and degrees are incredibly smart and successful.
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
          Uneducated != moron

Plenty of people without formal educations and degrees are incredibly smart and successful.
          Of course! What I am trying to piece together is how much of an effect college hockey has on a player because of attending school. How does critical thinking at a university affect a player's game/ability to work after playing in the NHL? I am continuing to compile data along with what College Hockey Inc. already has done.

Comment

If education isn't important to an individual for a successful NHL career - and beyond - the major junior route would seem to be by far the more sensible choice.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
              I don't think anyone would disagree with that, but only the very privileged few make it in professional sports. Isn't it better to have an education to help ensure a better living?
              "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Have to go with the "what if" argument. As a teacher myself as well, you can't guarantee success in a contact sport forever. Look at DiPietro, one year in college at Boston, see a bunch of dollar signs and bail. Just a few years later, his body has fallen apart, he's basically unemployed although his 342 year contract will keep some money flowing his way for some time, that will run out at some point, and he hasn't exactly made enough money to be what I would consider wealthy for a lifetime... Even Crosby had to take nearly a year off due to a head injury... That impact hurts Crosby a lot less financially than someone like Drew Miller...
                Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread. I am of the opinion that the "sheepskin" is oh so very important for the player, if he has the luxury of being one of those on a scholarship. I am also of the opinion that not EVERYONE should go to college (some are not geared for it and we shouldn't make it ubiquitous). So, your question about how the university experience affects a player's ability to continue in the sport makes for a good discussion. IF a player attends school JUST to become pro and it works out that way? Then he's probably happy to have had the (enter # of...) years to play/live in the same community. So many young men go he 'suitcase' route prior to school that they can develop a nice life for a bit. Now to the benefit that a player experiences if/once he makes it to the next level...EVERY one of our experiences lends themselves to how to handle the next one. If the player has a good experience at the university, he will work to re-create it at the next level (except for the fact that he'll most likely be, once again, the small fish in the ever bigger pond so the dynamic becomes familiar to him from his previous rookie experiences). Long story short? The best part about sports is that there is no equal opportunity enforcement; no quotas; no 'everyone gets a trophy' mentality. Athletes of any sport know that to make it to the highest level IS the purest form of SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST. If all parents raised their children to accept this mantra early on and if our education system operated on this tenet, we'd have many MORE student athletes (and thus the pro ranks would have more from which to choose).

Comment

Glad to see some responses here. This week there is some number cruching about collegians who played at least 100 games in the NHL and now are employed in an NHL front office. What do you think got them the job, their time in the NHL or their education?

Comment

Working...
                    X