Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hobart and William Smith starting hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart and William Smith starting hockey?

http://www.higheredjobs.com/m/details.cfm?JobCode=175724015&Title=Head%20Coach%2C%20Women%27s%20Ice%20Hockey%2 0Coach

Sorry, I am not sure if the link works.
    Last edited by Captain Obvious; 02-25-2013, 06:30 PM.

Re: Hobart and William Smith starting hockey?

I hope do not think they will have a fully complimented DIII team in October 2013.

Comment

Just heard that an official announcement coming shortly.

Comment

Just so you know...it's just William Smith College.

William Smith is for females only and is the sister college of Hobart which is the male school.

Great find though! Are we getting closer to the point where the ECAC West might have to split? I'm thinking the New York state schools are still looking for two more state members to split off and form their own league.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

SUNY Canton will be playing an ECAC West schedule in 2013. A SUNYAC women's league is not far away.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimer View Post
            SUNY Canton will be playing an ECAC West schedule in 2013. A SUNYAC women's league is not far away.
            Just need one more...Utica screwed the pooch on that one...
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
              Just need one more...Utica screwed the pooch on that one...
              You're assuming that SUNY Canton is joining the SUNYAC in all sports. While it certainly looks like a strong possibility, nothing's written in stone quite yet in that regard.
              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
              ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
              NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
              NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
              NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
              NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

William Smith is for females only and is the sister college of Hobart which is the male school.

Great find though! Are we getting closer to the point where the ECAC West might have to split? I'm thinking the New York state schools are still looking for two more state members to split off and form their own league.
                Fully aware, just using their line from the posting...did want to offend anyone,

Comment

Should a SUNYAC become a reality would membership be open to non-SUNY institutions? Will this not force some sort of realignment of the ECAC East and West teams? The ECAC-East has something like 15 schools with UNE and Franklin Pierce; if the SUNYs bolt and form their own conference (and 7 is obviously the magic number) doesn't it make sense for the for the ECAC-West to add Stevenson and pick up a few of the geographically contiguous schools (Manhattanville, Nichols, Salve Regina, Castleton) and better balance the travel involved? The ECAC-East still faces the issue of what to do with the DIIs, but with Sacred Heart in that mix (with Holy Cross, St. Anselm, St. Michaels and Franklin Pierce) they are at least a bit closer to being weaned out of the ECAC-East. I have never understood having a conference where, as was the case in this season's ECAC-East, the 3rd and 4th finishers in the regular season (Holy Cross and St. Anselm) have an impact on the regular season, but are not eligible for the post season (not to mention the Manhattanville loss to St. Michaels not impacting their regional NCAA ranking).

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                    Should a SUNYAC become a reality would membership be open to non-SUNY institutions? Will this not force some sort of realignment of the ECAC East and West teams? The ECAC-East has something like 15 schools with UNE and Franklin Pierce; if the SUNYs bolt and form their own conference (and 7 is obviously the magic number) doesn't it make sense for the for the ECAC-West to add Stevenson and pick up a few of the geographically contiguous schools (Manhattanville, Nichols, Salve Regina, Castleton) and better balance the travel involved? The ECAC-East still faces the issue of what to do with the DIIs, but with Sacred Heart in that mix (with Holy Cross, St. Anselm, St. Michaels and Franklin Pierce) they are at least a bit closer to being weaned out of the ECAC-East. I have never understood having a conference where, as was the case in this season's ECAC-East, the 3rd and 4th finishers in the regular season (Holy Cross and St. Anselm) have an impact on the regular season, but are not eligible for the post season (not to mention the Manhattanville loss to St. Michaels not impacting their regional NCAA ranking).
                    UNE and Franklin Pierce are not members of the ECAC East and they will not be members next season.

But I do agree, we need to have some short of shift in the D-III women's hockey landscape. We have enough teams now to have four D-III East conferences.

There are 31 D-III women's hockey teams if you count SUNY Canton and William Smith.

By the 2014-15 season IMHO, we should be able to create four eastern conferences so that all four can have an autobid.

NESCAC (9)
                    Bowdoin
                    Middlebury
                    Williams
                    Colby
                    Conn. College
                    Hamilton
                    Wesleyan
                    Trinity
                    Amherst

ECAC West (8)-
                    Elmira
                    Stevenson
                    Buffalo State
                    Utica
                    Neumann
                    Chatham
                    William Smith
                    Cortland

ECAC New England (7)-
                    Norwich
                    Southern Maine
                    Castleton
                    UMass-Boston
                    New England College
                    Univ. of New England
                    Plymouth State

ECAC East (7) -
                    Plattsburgh
                    Potsdam
                    SUNY Canton
                    Nichols
                    Salve Regina
                    Manhattanville
                    Oswego

This is obviously just a rough guide and would take some RADICAL changes in administrations, leagues etc. However, it would be for the better advancement of Division III women's hockey as whole giving every D-III playing and eligible team a conference to play in and chance to compete for an auto-bid to the NCAA's.

I think what would make this a whole lot easier is if the New York State schools got a 7th team so we don't have to split hairs over who should go where and split up existing conferences too much.

But, that would require someone like Geneseo, Brockport, Fredonia etc to start a team and who knows if that's even on their radars. I do know Brockport has a club women's team and had explored the option of possibly elevating to varsity a few years ago.

I tried to keep teams as best as I could geographically and keep other teams that are close to them in the same conference for travel purposes. Finding a 7th team for the new "ECAC East" was very challenging...eventually I settled on Oswego since they are relatively closer to Plattsburgh, SUNY Canton, Potsdam etc.
                    Last edited by Derek Dunning; 02-26-2013, 08:57 AM.

Comment

While correct, it is a nuance of significance largely to alumni. If you say "Smith College", 90% of the free world is probably going to think of The Smith College in Northampton, MA, which is also all women and better known. Keeping the Hobart tag clarifies the school and location.

Comment

Originally posted by Derek Dunning View Post
                        UNE and Franklin Pierce are not members of the ECAC East and they will not be members next season.

But I do agree, we need to have some short of shift in the D-III women's hockey landscape. We have enough teams now to have four D-III East conferences.

There are 31 D-III women's hockey teams if you count SUNY Canton and William Smith.

By the 2014-15 season IMHO, we should be able to create four eastern conferences so that all four can have an autobid.

ECAC New England (7)-
                        Norwich
                        Southern Maine
                        Castleton
                        UMass-Boston
                        New England College
                        Univ. of New England
                        Plymouth State

ECAC East (7) -
                        Plattsburgh
                        Potsdam
                        SUNY Canton
                        Nichols
                        Salve Regina
                        Manhattanville
                        Oswego

I tried to keep teams as best as I could geographically and keep other teams that are close to them in the same conference for travel purposes. Finding a 7th team for the new "ECAC East" was very challenging...eventually I settled on Oswego since they are relatively closer to Plattsburgh, SUNY Canton, Potsdam etc.
                        Salve Regina is in Newport, RI and Nichols just south of Worcester, MA. Makes much more geographic sense to put Castleton and Norwich in your ECAC East and Salve Regina and Nichols in ECAC New England. Also, ECAC is more than just a hockey conference and all of the schools would have to be members in multiple sports to join - I'm not sure that this is the case or feasible.

Comment

SUNYAC women's league is basically inevitable - just a matter time but going slowly.

Also, this new grouping looks good for geographic balance but there is some noticeable competitive imbalance. This might be a temporary concern if some certain schools would get their act together.

Comment

SUNYAC women's league is basically inevitable - just a matter time but going slowly.

Also, this new grouping looks good for geographic balance but there is some noticeable competitive imbalance. This might be a temporary concern if some certain schools would get their act together.
                            I agree completely and it would drastically change the proposed conference realignment below.

The only question is, who is that key seventh team that will allow for the SUNYAC women's league to move forward?

Comment

Why the need for 4 autobids in the east? You are already guaranted 4 of the 8 spots, and realisticly 5 or 6 most years.
                              UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                              NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                              Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Working...
                              X