2014 Frozen Four

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Frozen Four

Not sure if this is known or not, so I'm throwing it out there.

USCHO just posted this tweet:

Androscoggin Bank Colisée in Lewiston, Maine, will host the 2014 NCAA Division III men's championship weekend.

Discuss...

Re: 2014 Frozen Four

NCAA Names Lewiston Host Site, Bowdoin as Host School, For 2014 D3 Men's Hockey Finals

BRUNSWICK, Maine - The NCAA Division III Men's Ice Hockey Committee has selected Lewiston as the site for the 2014 championship finals. Hosted by Bowdoin, the semifinals and final will take place at Androscoggin Bank Colisée on March 21-22, 2014.

"We are excited to bring the championship to Lewiston, Maine," said Don Olson, chair of the NCAA Division III Men's Ice Hockey Committee and director of athletics at The College of St. Scholastica.

The 2014 NCAA Division III Men's Ice Hockey Championship will be the first time the finals have ever been held in Maine. The bid for the event was jointly submitted by Bowdoin and the Maine Sports Commission.

"Ice hockey is a part of our sporting heritage here in Maine, especially in the Lewiston-Auburn area where the Colisee has a long-standing tradition," said Kerry Hoey, the Executive Director of the Maine Sports Commission. "We recognize the significance of hosting the event and the tremendous impact it will have on the area's storied hockey industry as well as the local economy, and are honored to welcome the best hockey teams in the country."

The Androscoggin Bank Colisée, formerly the Central Maine Civic Center and Lewiston Colisée, was built in 1958 and has undergone a $4-million renovation since 2005. The venue has a rich sporting tradition that includes the famous 1965 Clay Heavyweight Championship rematch between Cassius Clay and Sonny Liston. The arena was also home to the Maine Nordiques of the North American Hockey League and, more recently, the Lewiston Maineiacs of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

The Colisée seats 3,677 for ice hockey, surpassing the NCAA's minimum of 3,000 for championship sites. Bowdoin's home rink, Sidney J. Watson Arena, has a capacity of 2,400.

"The facility is newly-renovated and will provide an outstanding student-athlete experience," said Olson. "In addition, Lewiston is located within driving distance of a majority of our East Region membership which should help with attendance. Our committee has great confidence that Bowdoin College will do an outstanding job as the host institution."

"Bowdoin is proud to be working with the Maine Sports Commission to bring the NCAA Division III Men's Ice Hockey Championship to Maine," said Bowdoin Interim Director of Athletics Tim Ryan. "Few places can match the passion for the sport of ice hockey that Maine possesses, and we're looking forward to hosting a first-class event in this vibrant hockey community."

This will mark the second time that Bowdoin has hosted the finals round competition of an NCAA Championship as the school previously hosted the 1989 Division III Men's Swimming and Diving Championships.
    Last edited by norm1909; 02-25-2013, 09:44 AM.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by LakerFan99 View Post
      Not sure if this is known or not, so I'm throwing it out there.

USCHO just posted this tweet:

Androscoggin Bank Colisée in Lewiston, Maine, will host the 2014 NCAA Division III men's championship weekend.

Discuss...
      Hawkeye Pierce would be happy. Wonder who else bid?

But, what are the dates??
      Et, le chart du seating: http://www.thecolisee.com/images/Seating/Hockey.pdf
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

see you at the blue goose

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Hawkeye Pierce would be happy. Wonder who else bid?

But, what are the dates??
          Et, le chart du seating: http://www.thecolisee.com/images/Seating/Hockey.pdf
          Per my post --- will take place at Androscoggin Bank Colisée on March 21-22, 2014.
          Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Wow the price must be right. I thought they were goin to sign a new contract in Lake placid or if not send it back out west.

Comment

I played in that arena when it was 2 years old and again in the mid 70's and can say that it most certainly needed renovation by 2005. Geographically it is a great location for the Final Four given the density of DIII schools in New England.

Comment

Originally posted by wickfan View Post
                Wow the price must be right. I thought they were goin to sign a new contract in Lake placid or if not send it back out west.
                The home of the “Miracle on Ice,” the 1980 Rink - Herb Brooks Arena in Lake Placid, N.Y., will host the ECAC Hockey Men’s championship for at least three years starting in 2014.
                Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

What happened to the West Region getting it once every three years.
                  No one submit a bid to host???
                  What a crock!!!
                  SNC Men:
                  Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                  NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                  SNC Women:
                  O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

It may have been that everyone (except those that counted) thought the Philadelphia combo deal with D-I was a slam dunk and did not have their ducks in a row to make an adequate bid in time. I hope, pray even, that the 2015 dates are one week later to enable St. Paul and LP to bid after the D-I conference tournaments clear town.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
                      What happened to the West Region getting it once every three years.
                      No one submit a bid to host???
                      What a crock!!!
                      I heard no one in the East or West put in a bid.

Apparently, though, Bowdoin did...

It's going to be a mighty long trip for fans of schools outside of Vermont.
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

I thought that next year it was going to be an experiment where DI and DIII were going to have their championsips at and on the same weekend and place. I guess not. I hope that being in Bowdin will still bring a good crowd. I wouldn't mind a nice road trip to Maine.
                        Oswego 88

Comment

Originally posted by DIIIFan View Post
                          I thought that next year it was going to be an experiment where DI and DIII were going to have their championsips at and on the same weekend and place. I guess not. I hope that being in Bowdin will still bring a good crowd. I wouldn't mind a nice road trip to Maine.
                          Oswego 88
                          That was voted down by the last NCAA committee it needed to pass.

It was reported on USCHO at the time.
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                            I heard no one in the East or West put in a bid.

Apparently, though, Bowdoin did...

It's going to be a mighty long trip for fans of schools outside of Vermont.
                            LP is a 7 - 8 hrs from my house. Lewiston looks like 11 (figuring 8 to Lowell and 3 more to get to Lewiston). May fly to Boston or Portland and drive.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              LP is a 7 - 8 hrs from my house. Lewiston looks like 11 (figuring 8 to Lowell and 3 more to get to Lewiston). May fly to Boston or Portland and drive.
                              7 hrs 20 min from Oswego.

Comment

Working...
                              X