Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014 Frozen Four

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
    and we are lucky they did. Lake Placid was going to go with a 3 year deal with the ECAC because the DIII might have either gone west (turns out no viable bid) or been combined with the DI games (turns out no). LP looked out for themselves.
    One way to solve that problem is to push the D3 championships out a week. With the schedule now starting a couple of weeks later, why not? It was going to be a whole month later when initially combined with D1. And I feel the NCAA and D3 hockey gets a lot of mileage playing their championships at Lake Placid.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      According to the Oswego website, the ice rink holds 3,000 (2,500 seats, 500 standing room).

I brought up the idea of Oswego hosting the last time I was there, and I was told, though some prominent locals would like to put in a bid, the school doesn't feel they have the resources to pull it off. Plus, there is a concern about motel space (though Syracuse is only half an hour away).
      I'll be with the AD and Prez (College Prez..not THE Prez) Saturday - let's see what they have to say...
      LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

One way to solve that problem is to push the D3 championships out a week. With the schedule now starting a couple of weeks later, why not? It was going to be a whole month later when initially combined with D1. And I feel the NCAA and D3 hockey gets a lot of mileage playing their championships at Lake Placid.
        +1
        LakerEagleLover

Comment

According to the Oswego website, the ice rink holds 3,000 (2,500 seats, 500 standing room).

I brought up the idea of Oswego hosting the last time I was there, and I was told, though some prominent locals would like to put in a bid, the school doesn't feel they have the resources to pull it off. Plus, there is a concern about motel space (though Syracuse is only half an hour away).

As for those proposing D1 rinks (I once suggested Potsdam hosting at Clarkson's Cheel Arena and I see someone suggested Castleton proposing UVM's Gutterson), I heard unofficially that the NCAA would prefer if it is on campus to be in D3 rinks, which of course is counter to when they were at UM's Ridder Arena.
          If you're talking about some being concerned about hotels within 30 minutes, Oswego hosting shouldn't be an issue. There aren't a ton of hotels in Oswego, but there are some. You also have some in Fulton (10 minutes south), then in the Clay and Cicero areas (25 minutes south). The number of bars in Oswego should fill one requirement.

I've always felt than a small rink that hold 3000 that is packed full would be much better than a rink that holds 10,000 that's half full. In that respect, the campus center would be a great venue...if it has the required seating capacity.

Comment

I really wish Utica would put in a bid.
            Russell - Does the school or the venue submit the bid?

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
              I'll be with the AD and Prez (College Prez..not THE Prez) Saturday - let's see what they have to say...
              My Pet Peeve rant. Do me a favor and ask if they ever plan on painting something Green and/or Gold, Home of the Laker's, etc. Also, if they would ever allow All-American photos and SUNYAC Team banners displayed in the rink area. The sterile environment of the CC drives me nuts!
              Last edited by 97osu; 02-27-2013, 07:44 PM.
              2012-2013 Last Person Standing Champion
              2012-2013 SUNYAC Pick'Em Champion
              2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2016-2017 D-III Pick'Em Challenge Champion
              2013-2014 MIACWIACNCHA Pick'em Champion, 2014-2015 MIACWIACNCHA Pick'em Co-Champion
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Losers Bracket Loser Champion
              2014-2015 Atlantic Hockey Pick'em Champion

"A fast body-contact game played by men with clubs in their hands and knives laced to their feet.” - Paul Gallico

Comment

Originally posted by 97osu View Post
                My Pet Peeve rant. Do me a favor and ask if they ever plan on painting something Green and/or Gold, Home of the Laker's, etc. Also, if they would ever allow All-American photos and SUNYAC banners displayed in the rink area. The sterile environment of the CC drives me nuts!
                +1
                Larry Normandin
                SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

There is a concept hear that nobody seems to understand -- apparently, Bowdoin were the ONLY ONES to put in a bid. (Apparently, there was a western bid, but it did not qualify on the basic
                  So
                  well when you get something wrong you are usually misinformed or just don't know what you are talking about. My apologies if in fact this is true.
                  Why would no one submit a bid.? We have discussed the D3 champs in Oswego for awhile.we are building new hotels in Oswego. There are plenty of good resturant's in Oswego. As a matter of fact during our annual summer festival , Harborfest, we attract 250,000 people in a 3 and half day period.
                  The campus center seats 3000. It is modern facility with all amenities . This being said you still have to submit a bid.
                  I

Comment

Originally posted by 97osu View Post
                    My Pet Peeve rant. Do me a favor and ask if they ever plan on painting something Green and/or Gold, Home of the Laker's, etc. Also, if they would ever allow All-American photos and SUNYAC banners didplayed in the rink area. The sterile environment of the CC drives me nuts!
                    Glad too....although I heard from madam Prez that she is in DC for college business and won't be back in time for the game....but I can bring it up the next time we chat...I am with the AD an hour before the puck drop...
                    LakerEagleLover

Comment

Glad too....although I heard from madam Prez that she is in DC for college business and won't be back in time for the game....but I can bring it up the next time we chat...I am with the AD an hour before the puck drop...
                      If that's the case, bring the paint with you, I'll bring the men, and it can be a suprise on her return to Campus. I would have suggested this sooner if I knew it was going to be this easy.
                      2012-2013 Last Person Standing Champion
                      2012-2013 SUNYAC Pick'Em Champion
                      2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2016-2017 D-III Pick'Em Challenge Champion
                      2013-2014 MIACWIACNCHA Pick'em Champion, 2014-2015 MIACWIACNCHA Pick'em Co-Champion
                      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Losers Bracket Loser Champion
                      2014-2015 Atlantic Hockey Pick'em Champion

"A fast body-contact game played by men with clubs in their hands and knives laced to their feet.” - Paul Gallico

Comment

As much as the CC is great don't get me wrong, you NEED 3000+ seats if you're going to host in the central NY area. It is too central to a lot of the bigger fan bases. You've seen what's happened today alone. Tickets were sold out in a matter of hours, and that's just two teams for a conference tittle game. The past 4 Championship games in Lake Placid has averaged 3330 people. 3000 is the max (with standing, yea not happening and shouldn't happen for a Championship title game) even then you're saying 330 people, you cant come watch. Granted we are playing perfect storm with Oswego making it, but if they actually SAT 3,000 and not 2,500 I might say possible.

While an 8,000 seat arena is a bit much I think a 3,500-4,500 is fine and should be used IF its in the central/eastern NY region. Out west, not so much. Average attendance 1396 for the Championship game. I would imagine Lewiston will probably get some where in between the two next year being a good haul for the majority of the "bigger" fan base.

If you're looking to host around the big Five (Plattsburgh, Oswego, Middlebury, Norwich, and Utica *Well if Utica were to travel*) you have to have 3000+ seating.

Just for kicks...
                        Big Five average distance to Lake Placid (117 miles)
                        Big Five average distance to Lewiston ME (318 miles)
                        Big Five average distance to Albany NY (139 miles)
                        Big Five average distance to Boston, MA (252 miles)
                        Big FOUR average distance to Oswego, NY (214 miles)
                        Remy Babineaux
                        remyb616@gmail.com
                        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                          As much as the CC is great don't get me wrong, you NEED 3000+ seats if you're going to host in the central NY area. It is too central to a lot of the bigger fan bases. You've seen what's happened today alone. Tickets were sold out in a matter of hours, and that's just two teams for a conference tittle game. The past 4 Championship games in Lake Placid has averaged 3330 people. 3000 is the max (with standing, yea not happening and shouldn't happen for a Championship title game) even then you're saying 330 people, you cant come watch. Granted we are playing perfect storm with Oswego making it, but if they actually SAT 3,000 and not 2,500 I might say possible.

While an 8,000 seat arena is a bit much I think a 3,500-4,500 is fine and should be used IF its in the central/eastern NY region. Out west, not so much. Average attendance 1396 for the Championship game. I would imagine Lewiston will probably get some where in between the two next year being a good haul for the majority of the "bigger" fan base.

If you're looking to host around the big Five (Plattsburgh, Oswego, Middlebury, Norwich, and Utica *Well if Utica were to travel*) you have to have 3000+ seating.

Just for kicks...
                          Big Five average distance to Lake Placid (117 miles)
                          Big Five average distance to Lewiston ME (318 miles)
                          Big Five average distance to Albany NY (139 miles)
                          Big Five average distance to Boston, MA (252 miles)
                          Big FOUR average distance to Oswego, NY (214 miles)
                          I hear you on the seats and capacity... The large student section (sold out) and season ticket holders (sold out) before you opened the ticket office this am...they don't have that chance for a frozen four...allotments for each team, probably a number for conference and other administrivia types, then the rest are made available....will everyone who wants to go be able to go? No...but that isn't much different than many other championships....look, I would never pick the CC over Placid...but I would want them bidding if Placid wasn't on the table....
                          LakerEagleLover

Comment

I hear you on the seats and capacity... The large student section (sold out) and season ticket holders (sold out) before you opened the ticket office this am...they don't have that chance for a frozen four...allotments for each team, probably a number for conference and other administrivia types, then the rest are made available....will everyone who wants to go be able to go? No...but that isn't much different than many other championships....look, I would never pick the CC over Placid...but I would want them bidding if Placid wasn't on the table....
                            It was a bid from Potsdam that first brought the Championship to Lake Placid - Oswego could do the same.
                            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                              I would imagine Lewiston will probably get some where in between the two next year being a good haul for the majority of the "bigger" fan base.
                              I think that's probably a good guess. Bowdoin, however, sold out 2400 seats for the NESCAC semi's on Saturday during the day on Wednesday. That is, however, at the Sid in Brunswick. The fan base issue is an interesting one. To draw 2400 hundred fans is an impressive feat in a town with a population of under 22,000, including the Bowdoin students. That even happens when no team has come over from the "big 5"...
                              Mark it 8, Dude

Comment

Originally posted by polarbear2 View Post
                                I think that's probably a good guess. Bowdoin, however, sold out 2400 seats for the NESCAC semi's on Saturday during the day on Wednesday. That is, however, at the Sid in Brunswick. The fan base issue is an interesting one. To draw 2400 hundred fans is an impressive feat in a town with a population of under 22,000, including the Bowdoin students. That even happens when no team has come over from the "big 5"...
                                22,000, that is huge - The City of Plattsburgh, had a population of 19,949 in 2011, and The City of Oswego, had a population of 18,158 in 2011.
                                Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                                X