Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA era Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA era Tournament

As I discussed in the Top 25 Greatest Teams of the NCAA Era thread, I have put together a tournament for the Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA Era (according to my formula). I figured a new thread would probably work best.

Here is the bracket...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/T...ment-2013.html

I haven't really decided yet how many games I'll run through the simulator at a time (or when I'll start), but I figured I might as well start a thread and get the discussion going.

Also, if there are odd pairings (for example, the bracket is set up to pair the #9 and #15 teams in the Round of 32), let me know and I'll correct it. Also, if there are any duplicate teams, let me know.

Hopefully this can be a fun thread, dedicated to the great teams that have played college hockey in the past. If it turns into a flame fest, I'll probably just quit doing the tournament.

Anyway...Enjoy!
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Re: Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA era Tournament

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    As I discussed in the Top 25 Greatest Teams of the NCAA Era thread, I have put together a tournament for the Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA Era (according to my formula). I figured a new thread would probably work best.

Here is the bracket...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/T...ment-2013.html

I haven't really decided yet how many games I'll run through the simulator at a time (or when I'll start), but I figured I might as well start a thread and get the discussion going.

Also, if there are odd pairings (for example, the bracket is set up to pair the #9 and #15 teams in the Round of 32), let me know and I'll correct it. Also, if there are any duplicate teams, let me know.

Hopefully this can be a fun thread, dedicated to the great teams that have played college hockey in the past. If it turns into a flame fest, I'll probably just quit doing the tournament.

Anyway...Enjoy!

cool, this should be fun
    the 94-95 Maine team is not set up to play the 94-95 BU team after a triple overtime loss to Michigan this time.

Comment

These threads are always fun. You should wait and do this in the dog days of summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        These threads are always fun. You should wait and do this in the dog days of summer.
        I've thought about that, but I honestly don't know how much free time I'm going to have then. Dog Days of Summer = middle of Summer Internship/Externship.
        North Dakota

Comment

Kind of surprised to not see the 87-88 SLU team listed. Do you have the rankings past 100, if so, how close were they?

Looking forward to this as well.

Comment

NMU's best team out of 100 is the first CCHA title winners, not the repeat team from 81-82 or the WCHA 91 NC team?

Interesting choice.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
              Kind of surprised to not see the 87-88 SLU team listed. Do you have the rankings past 100, if so, how close were they?

Looking forward to this as well.
              The '87-'88 SLU squad ranked #153 All-Time. They totaled 118.6044 points, about 20 points behind the #100 squad ('02-'03 UNH). To put it into perspective, the #152 team is the '88-'89 LSSU squad, and the #154 team is the '09-'10 BC squad.

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              NMU's best team out of 100 is the first CCHA title winners, not the repeat team from 81-82 or the WCHA 91 NC team?

Interesting choice.
              '90-'91 NMU is #5. I had to use "No. Michigan" for NMU. I did not rank the '81-'82 NMU squad. They were 15-21-0, and missed the NCAA Tournament. Perhaps it was a different squad that you were thinking of?
              Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 02-21-2013, 01:01 PM.
              North Dakota

Comment

Ah, missed them scrolling through on my smartphone.

And I mistyped. Meant 80-81. 79-80 was the only NMU team I saw.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Good stuff FS23
                  Originally posted by CavalryNate
                  Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    Ah, missed them scrolling through on my smartphone.

And I mistyped. Meant 80-81. 79-80 was the only NMU team I saw.
                    No worries. It's a gigantic page, so I can see where scrolling on a smartphone would present challenges.

As for the '80-'81 squad, they finished #242 (89.3969 Points). #241 was '55-'56 SLU, and #243 was '07-'08 BC.
                    North Dakota

Comment

The #64-#65 matchup ('90-91 Maine vs. '81-82 North Dakota) will start soon...

#64 – 1990-1991 Maine Black Bears vs. #65 – 1981-1982 North Dakota Fighting Sioux
                      February 21, 2013
                      Boston Garden

Maine Goalie: Garth Snow
                      North Dakota Goalie: Darren Jensen

Maine with a 50.18% chance of winning.
                      North Dakota with a 49.82% chance of winning.

EDIT: Puck to drop at 4:05 (Eastern)

I'll do all the updates within this post to make it easier to track for those interested.

EDIT: Puck has been dropped, and we're underway from the Boston Garden here. North Dakota is in Green, Maine in White.

1st Period:
                      - Garth Snow with a huge save on Phil Sykes. Sykes was in with Cary Eades on a 2x1. Eades made a nice dish over to Sykes who was going for the top corner, but Snow proved too much. 0-0 early on
                      - Patrice Tardif taken down by Sioux D-man James Patrick, and Maine will head to the Powerplay. 16:39 left to play in the 1st.
                      - Scott Pellerin hits the post!! Maine nearly take the lead...still on the powerplay. 15:55 left to play (1:16 left on the powerplay).
                      - And Jean-Yves Roy scores!! North Dakota fails to clear the zone as the Black Bear powerplay was winding down. Jim Montgomery makes a great play, and finds a streak Roy who goes 5-hole on Jensen. 1-0 Maine with 14:50 left in the 1st.
                      - Brian Downey nearly makes it 2-0 for Maine, but Jensen comes up with an enormous glove save. Just under 13:00 left in the 1st.
                      - Things getting a little chippy here, and we have matching minors: Roughing on Cary Eades (UND) and Roughing on Stephen Tepper (Maine). We'll skate 4x4 for 2:00. 11:49 left in the 1st.
                      - And North Dakota will go on the Powerplay, as Keith Carney crosschecks Troy Murray. UND will have 1:26 of a 4x3, and then :34 of a 5x4.
                      - Phil Sykes scores!! With a ton of ice, North Dakota moves the puck well, and Sykes takes a pass from Murray, then roofs it over Snow to tie the game at 1. 10:55 left in the 1st.
                      - North Dakota buzzing right now. Snow standing strong to keep this a 1-1 game. 9:00 left in the 1st.
                      - Now North Dakota rips one off the pipe. Craig Ludwig launches a bomb from the blue line, and a screened Snow had no chance, but it rings off the crossbar. Still 1-1 with under 7:00 left in the 1st.
                      - Firewagon hockey right now. Moments after Ludwig's post, Jean-Yves Roy takes a puck behind the net, and nearly scores on a wraparound opportunity. Montgomery then grabs the rebound and shoots wide. 1-1 with 5:00 left in the 1st.
                      - Cary Eades scores!! North Dakota comes in on a 3x2 and Rick Zombo threads a beauty to Eades who scores low to the blocker. 2-1 North Dakota. 4:31 left in the 1st.
                      - North Dakota nearly grabs a 3-1 lead, but Snow is up to the task. Then, Ludwig takes a roughing penalty, so Maine will have a powerplay. 3:05 left in the 1st
                      - Maine struggling to keep the puck in the zone...only about 20 seconds left on the powerplay
                      - North Dakota kills the powerplay, and we have less than a minute left in the 1st.
                      - That's the end of the 1st. North Dakota leads 2-1 thanks to goals by Sykes and Eades. Maine's goal scored on the powerplay by Roy.

2nd Period:
                      - Puck drops and we're back at it in Boston...
                      - Slow start to the 2nd by both squads...not much going on. Shots on Goal in the First: Maine - 9, North Dakota - 12
                      - Tony Link with a big hit on Sykes in the neutral zone. That has the Maine bench up and cheering. 16:00 left in the 2nd, still 2-1 Sioux.
                      - Maine will get a powerplay, as Jim Archibald gets called for roughing. 12:24 left in the 2nd
                      - Once again, Maine with nothing to show for it on the man advantage. 10:00 left in the 2nd
                      - Maine will go back on the man advantage. Cary Eades gets called for Goaltender Interference. 8:42 left in the 2nd.
                      - Scott Pellerin Scores!! Beautiful passing on the powerplay, as Downey puts it across to Carney who finds a streaking Pellerin backdoor for an easy tap in goal. 2-2. 7:41 left in the 2nd.
                      - What a save by Jensen! An innocent shot from the point by Downey deflects off Ludwig and appears to have eyes for the open corner. Going back across his body, Jensen flashes the glove to keep this a 2-2 game. 5:00 left in 2nd.
                      - Maine on the attack right now. Pellerin with two great chances, but they both find the glove of Jensen. 3:55 left in the 2nd.
                      - Sykes nearly puts North Dakota up 3-2. Murray made a great pass to Sykes in the slot, who puts a one-timer just side. 1:33 left in the 2nd.
                      - That's the end of the 2nd period. Pellerin's powerplay goal ties the game at 2 heading into the third.
                      - Shots on Goal in the 2nd: Maine - 9, North Dakota - 6

3rd Period:
                      - Puck has dropped for the third...game all tied at 2
                      - Maine flying to start the third, but their shots are not finding the net.
                      - Montgomery stoned on a breakaway!! Ludwig had pinched in as the Sioux were looking to go ahead, and he gets caught. Roy springs Montgomery on the breakaway, but Jensen comes up with a huge save. 15:00 left in the 3rd.
                      - Now North Dakota is carrying play, but we're still tied a 2. 13:00 left in the 3rd.
                      - North Dakota will head to the powerplay. The Sioux had a 2x1 developing when a backchecking Jim Montgomery hauls down Jim Archibald. 10:50 left in the 3rd. Tied 2-2
                      - North Dakota manages nothing with the man advantage, not even registering a shot. 8:50 left in the 3rd. Tied 2-2
                      - Maine with a nice rush, but Roy's shot goes high from the slot. 7:00 left in the 3rd.
                      - Sykes Scores!! David Tippett lets a slapshot go from the blue line, and Snow is unable to handle the rebound. Sykes is sitting on the doorstep and jams it home. North Dakota leads 3-2 with 5:59 left.
                      - Maine comes back strong and draws a penalty as James Patrick gets called for Roughing. Black Bear powerplay coming up with 4:41 left in the 3rd
                      - Roy hits the Post!! Off the draw, Downey fires one in that deflects right to Roy who rings one off the pipe. We're under 4:00 left in the 3rd.
                      - And North Dakota kills off the penalty. 2:41 left in the 3rd
                      - Maine draws another penalty, this time Mike Stone hauls down Randy Olson trying to stop an odd man rush, and Maine will go back on the Powerplay with 1:47 left in the third.
                      - Coach Walsh takes his timeout. 3-2 North Dakota
                      - Snow pulled, and Maine has an empty net and a 6x4 advantage.
                      - Maine with a lot of possession, but unable to get anything on Jensen as of yet...clock is ticking down, and we're under 1:00 left to play
                      - Dusty Carroll Scores!! The shorthanded, empty netter gives North Dakota a 4-2 advantage with just 27 seconds left to play. It would take a miracle for Maine to win this one now.
                      - And that's the game. North Dakota wins 4-2, and the 1981-1982 National Champion Sioux squad will advance to take on the #1 seeded 1992-1993 Maine Black Bears.
                      - Final Shots on Goal: Maine - 31, North Dakota - 26
                      Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 02-21-2013, 05:25 PM.
                      North Dakota

Comment

Cool stuff, FS23. Thanks for sharing!
                        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

As I discussed in the Top 25 Greatest Teams of the NCAA Era thread, I have put together a tournament for the Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA Era (according to my formula).
                          um, the '84-'85 Rensselaer team was so dominant that your formula underweighted their strength of schedule as a result (or at least that's how your explanation seemed to read...) and so they are seeded too low. Nothing to do about that now though. They are locked into their spot. So it goes.

Thanks for doing all this work. It should be a fun tournament.

PS just out of curiosity, where do you find all this computational power? Whenever I have to run Monte Carlo simulations for work, I pretty much hit "start" and then go off for coffee....I'm limited to a notebook and we don't run them very often....though I suspect this is a Microsoft program memory limitation and not a computer / chip limitation.
                          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                            um, the '84-'85 Rensselaer team was so dominant that your formula underweighted their strength of schedule as a result (or at least that's how your explanation seemed to read...) and so they are seeded too low. Nothing to do about that now though. They are locked into their spot. So it goes.

Thanks for doing all this work. It should be a fun tournament.

PS just out of curiosity, where do you find all this computational power? Whenever I have to run Monte Carlo simulations for work, I pretty much hit "start" and then go off for coffee....I'm limited to a notebook and we don't run them very often....though I suspect this is a Microsoft program memory limitation and not a computer / chip limitation.
                            The '84-'85 RPI squad was certainly one of the greats. You are correct in that their SOS wasn't as strong as some of the others in the top 10. We'll see how they do in this tournament. I would imagine they should put anyone they play to the test.

As for your computational power question, I'm not quite sure how to respond. It takes time for me to put all the data into the program and then to get the "box score" back. I don't have any sort of super-computer to help me
                            North Dakota

Comment

#64 – 1990-1991 Maine Black Bears vs. #65 – 1981-1982 North Dakota Fighting Sioux

- And that's the game. North Dakota wins 4-2, and the 1981-1982 National Champion Sioux squad will advance to take on the #1 seeded 1992-1993 Maine Black Bears.
                              - Final Shots on Goal: Maine - 31, North Dakota - 26
                              First game, and the fix is in already!!! Ro!!ported!!!!!
                              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Working...
                              X