X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA era Tournament

How 'bout the '02 'Cats and '61 Pios?

Perhaps Kim Carnes has today's anthem?
    Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Erix_The_Red View Post
      I want to see Jimmy Howard throw a few windmills and grab an upset for the '04 Black Bears
      Noted.

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
      How 'bout the '02 'Cats and '61 Pios?
      Noted.

Originally posted by Aerman
      Perhaps Kim Carnes has today's anthem?
      We'll have to wait and see.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Introductions underway in the '81 Gophers - '99 Wildcats matchup. Not an empty seat to be found here in Tampa!

Who will be singing the National Anthem? Find out in a matter of minutes!

BLONDIE!!!

What a rapturing performance!

Well, the puck is about to be dropped, so I'll be back after the first to give you all a report on the initial twenty minutes of action!
        Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 02-28-2014, 03:55 PM.
        North Dakota

Comment

Pretty exciting First Period as both teams were ready and playing up-tempo. The Wildcats got on the board first with a Darren Haydar goal, but the Gophers responded seconds later when Neal Broten found Aaron Broten on a nice 2 on 1 rush to knot the score at 1. The Wildcats took the lead again with just under three minutes left to play in the opening frame on a Jay Shipulski goal that redirected off a Gopher player in front. After twenty minutes of play here in Tampa, New Hampshire leads Minnesota 2-1.
          North Dakota

Comment

Another exciting period has just come to an end. Jason Krog got things off to a quick start with a goal just three minutes in that gave New Hampshire a 3-1 lead. Then the Gophers roared back after Coach Buetow replaced Paul Butters with Jim Jetland between the pipes. Minnesota rallied off three straight goals in a matter of two minutes, as Bryan Erickson put the Gophers within one, and then Aaron Broten got his second goal of the game just 17 seconds later to knot the score at three. The Gophers didn't wait long to take the lead, as just 91 seconds after the Broten goal, Scott Bjugstad scored to give Minnesota a 4-3 lead. Coach Umile was forced to take his timeout, and the move worked as New Hampshire calmed the storm. Then, with just about a minute left in the period, Gopher blueliner Mike Knoke misplayed a puck while pinching in, sending Corey-Joe Ficek in on a clean break. Ficek scored to tie the game, and after forty minutes of action, we're all square at 4 apiece.
            North Dakota

Comment

What a finish to this one here in Tampa! While the period began rather cautiously, Minnesota broke through about midway through the period on a goal by Neal Broten. Not to be outdone, Jason Krog scored about two minutes later for New Hampshire. While the game looked like it just might need overtime to decide a winner, it did finish in regulation.

Who won?

Find out here...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/1...-Wildcats.html
              North Dakota

Comment

Nice!
                Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Comment

Go 'Cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heck of a lot better than today's real life results
                  Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                    Go 'Cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heck of a lot better than today's real life results
                    Yes, UNH has historically been a better team on paper (computer) than on the ice come playoff time. Is this Sioux guy just setting us UNH fans for the kill? I can see him putting them into the Frozen Four only to get clobbered by somebody 7-1. Although, that would be the expected result.

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                      Yes, UNH has historically been a better team on paper (computer) than on the ice come playoff time. Is this Sioux guy just setting us UNH fans for the kill? I can see him putting them into the Frozen Four only to get clobbered by somebody 7-1. Although, that would be the expected result.
                      Well, to calm any fears you (or others) may have of a vast UNH conspiracy, all games are simulated using a program developed by the guys at CHW. If UNH gets to the Frozen Four, it will do so via the simulator. My input comes from my formula that I developed to rank teams historically. That being said, I was a bit surprised at the outcome. That '80-81 Minnesota squad had a tremendous top line (greatest ever?). Apparently it was just shy of enough to get them into the next round.
                      North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                        Well, to calm any fears you (or others) may have of a vast UNH conspiracy, all games are simulated using a program developed by the guys at CHW. If UNH gets to the Frozen Four, it will do so via the simulator. My input comes from my formula that I developed to rank teams historically. That being said, I was a bit surprised at the outcome. That '80-81 Minnesota squad had a tremendous top line (greatest ever?). Apparently it was just shy of enough to get them into the next round.
                        I was kidding my friend. I like this thread. It's fun to check out. My comment was directed to UNH's failure to "close the deal"
                        Last edited by scoreboard; 02-28-2014, 11:09 PM.

Comment

How about 1977-78 Denver vs 2001-02 Denver. The former was in the NCAA doghouse and the latter was sent to the House that Yost built. Both spent much of the season on top of the rankings.
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                            I was kidding my friend. I like this thread. It's fun to check out. My comment was directed to UNH's failure to "close the deal"
                            I figured as much, and I was being a bit playful in my comment as well.
                            North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                              How about 1977-78 Denver vs 2001-02 Denver. The former was in the NCAA doghouse and the latter was sent to the House that Yost built. Both spent much of the season on top of the rankings.
                              Obviously, '77-78 DU and '01-02 DU are both out of the tournament, so at this point in time, I won't be doing a recap or anything like that. However, I can throw them in the simulator and give you the outcome if you'd like?
                              North Dakota

Comment

Today's game will be...

#14 - 1967-1968 Denver Pioneers vs. #51 - 1998-1999 North Dakota Fighting Sioux
                                West Regional - Round of 64
                                Jobing.com Arena - Glendale, AZ
                                March 1, 2014

Game time is at 3:00pm Eastern, so puck should be set to drop shortly.

Unknown yet as to who will be singing the National Anthem, but we should find out in a few moments as introductions are underway.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X