PDA

View Full Version : Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA era Tournament

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Fighting Sioux 23
02-27-2014, 03:53 PM
What a finish to the third period! Michigan dominated the early stages of the final stanza until a too many men penalty gave CC some momentum. While the Tigers didn't score, the puck essentially didn't leave the Wolverines end in the final 5-6 minutes. Wolverine goalie Steve Shields held firm until 58 seconds remained on the clock, and Mark Stuart scored for the Tigers who had pulled their goalie about a minute before. The goal put CC within one, and the Tigers mounted a furious push at the end, and Stuart scored again with just 7 ticks left on the clock to knot the game at 4 apiece. We're headed for OT!

Fighting Sioux 23
02-27-2014, 04:14 PM
What a game! Brandon Morrison nearly ended things about midway through the extra frame as his wraparound attempt trickled through CC goalie Curtis McElhinney's fivehole. Unfortunately for the Wolverines, the puck slid right to the post and bounced out. Michigan dominated the OT, and with just seconds left in overtime, Mike Knuble found himself wide open on a breakaway. A beautiful forehand to backhand deke sent McElhinney out of position, but Knuble's backhanded attempt went just over the top of the cross bar. We'll need (at least) another extra session to decide the winner this afternoon!

Fighting Sioux 23
02-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Instant Classic. I'll give just a bit more suspense, and make you go to CHW for the final result...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/2004-2005-CC-vs-1993-1994-Michigan.html

Here is the link to the bracket as it currently stands...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/Top-100-Tournament-2013.html

Fighting Sioux 23
02-28-2014, 08:23 AM
I just thought I'd give a quick update on the overall plan for the Round of 64...

There will be no games played Thursday, March 13th through Monday, March 17th.

Consequently, that gives me just four Thursdays (five if you include the Thursday of the Frozen Four) to accomplish my goal of having this round done by the Frozen Four.

As a result, I'll be doing four games between now and Sunday to get 1/4 of the Round of 64 done. Next weekend, I'll attempt to get another 1/4 of the Round (8 games) done between Thursday-Sunday. To make up for the lost time from the 13th-17th, I'll attempt to get another 8 games done between the 18th-23rd. That then gives me two weeks to get the additional 8 games (along with any extras that may not get done in the previous weeks) and finish this round by the Frozen Four.

I'd also like to try to limit the games in any one day to no more than two.

The format will likely remain similar to how the games were done yesterday. If there is a special game that you would prefer to have done in a more detailed manner (read: similar to the way the first two games of this round were done on here), speak now. I have significantly more time for the games set to be played the 18th-23rd of March. Special games could be reserved for those days.

Today's game(s) will be announced at 10:15am (Eastern).

Ralph Baer
02-28-2014, 09:07 AM
If there is a special game that you would prefer to have done in a more detailed manner (read: similar to the way the first two games of this round were done on here), speak now. I have significantly more time for the games set to be played the 18th-23rd of March. Special games could be reserved for those days. RPI '85 vs. North Dakota '00.

Fighting Sioux 23
02-28-2014, 09:22 AM
RPI '85 vs. North Dakota '00.

Noted.

The Four games to be played this weekend will be:

Northeast Regional: #16 - 1955-1956 Clarkson Golden Knights vs. #49 - 1987-1988 Lake Superior State Lakers
East Regional: #18 - 1980-1981 Minnesota Golden Gophers vs. #47 - 1998-1999 New Hampshire Wildcats
Midwest Regional: #20 - 2000-2001 Boston College Eagles vs. #45 - 1983-1984 Bowling Green Falcons
West Regional: #14 - 1967-1968 Denver Pioneers vs. #51 - 1998-1999 North Dakota Fighting Sioux

Fighting Sioux 23
02-28-2014, 10:02 AM
Today's Game will be...

#18 - 1980-1981 Minnesota Golden Gophers vs. #47 - 1998-1999 New Hampshire Wildcats
East Regional - Round of 64
Tampa Bay Times Forum - Tampa, FL
February 28, 2014

Game time is set for 5:00pm Eastern
National Anthem Singer: To be determined :p:D:D

Siouxfaninseattle
02-28-2014, 10:52 AM
I just thought I'd give a quick update on the overall plan for the Round of 64...

There will be no games played Thursday, March 13th through Monday, March 17th.

Consequently, that gives me just four Thursdays (five if you include the Thursday of the Frozen Four) to accomplish my goal of having this round done by the Frozen Four.

As a result, I'll be doing four games between now and Sunday to get 1/4 of the Round of 64 done. Next weekend, I'll attempt to get another 1/4 of the Round (8 games) done between Thursday-Sunday. To make up for the lost time from the 13th-17th, I'll attempt to get another 8 games done between the 18th-23rd. That then gives me two weeks to get the additional 8 games (along with any extras that may not get done in the previous weeks) and finish this round by the Frozen Four.

I'd also like to try to limit the games in any one day to no more than two.

The format will likely remain similar to how the games were done yesterday. If there is a special game that you would prefer to have done in a more detailed manner (read: similar to the way the first two games of this round were done on here), speak now. I have significantly more time for the games set to be played the 18th-23rd of March. Special games could be reserved for those days.

Today's game(s) will be announced at 10:15am (Eastern).

'00-'01 North Dakota vs '10-'11 North Dakota. Both teams played in the FF - go Sioux!

Fighting Sioux 23
02-28-2014, 10:57 AM
'00-'01 North Dakota vs '10-'11 North Dakota. Both teams played in the FF - go Sioux!

Noted. Still have 6 spots left for "special games."

Erix_The_Red
02-28-2014, 12:05 PM
Noted. Still have 6 spots left for "special games."

I want to see Jimmy Howard throw a few windmills and grab an upset for the '04 Black Bears

Aerman
02-28-2014, 01:53 PM
How 'bout the '02 'Cats and '61 Pios?

Perhaps Kim Carnes has today's anthem?

Fighting Sioux 23
02-28-2014, 03:01 PM
I want to see Jimmy Howard throw a few windmills and grab an upset for the '04 Black Bears

Noted.

How 'bout the '02 'Cats and '61 Pios?

Noted.

Perhaps Kim Carnes has today's anthem?

:p:D:D We'll have to wait and see.

Fighting Sioux 23
02-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Introductions underway in the '81 Gophers - '99 Wildcats matchup. Not an empty seat to be found here in Tampa!

Who will be singing the National Anthem? Find out in a matter of minutes! :p:D:D

BLONDIE!!!

What a rapturing performance!

Well, the puck is about to be dropped, so I'll be back after the first to give you all a report on the initial twenty minutes of action!

Fighting Sioux 23
02-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Pretty exciting First Period as both teams were ready and playing up-tempo. The Wildcats got on the board first with a Darren Haydar goal, but the Gophers responded seconds later when Neal Broten found Aaron Broten on a nice 2 on 1 rush to knot the score at 1. The Wildcats took the lead again with just under three minutes left to play in the opening frame on a Jay Shipulski goal that redirected off a Gopher player in front. After twenty minutes of play here in Tampa, New Hampshire leads Minnesota 2-1.

Fighting Sioux 23
02-28-2014, 05:16 PM
Another exciting period has just come to an end. Jason Krog got things off to a quick start with a goal just three minutes in that gave New Hampshire a 3-1 lead. Then the Gophers roared back after Coach Buetow replaced Paul Butters with Jim Jetland between the pipes. Minnesota rallied off three straight goals in a matter of two minutes, as Bryan Erickson put the Gophers within one, and then Aaron Broten got his second goal of the game just 17 seconds later to knot the score at three. The Gophers didn't wait long to take the lead, as just 91 seconds after the Broten goal, Scott Bjugstad scored to give Minnesota a 4-3 lead. Coach Umile was forced to take his timeout, and the move worked as New Hampshire calmed the storm. Then, with just about a minute left in the period, Gopher blueliner Mike Knoke misplayed a puck while pinching in, sending Corey-Joe Ficek in on a clean break. Ficek scored to tie the game, and after forty minutes of action, we're all square at 4 apiece.

Fighting Sioux 23
02-28-2014, 06:03 PM
What a finish to this one here in Tampa! While the period began rather cautiously, Minnesota broke through about midway through the period on a goal by Neal Broten. Not to be outdone, Jason Krog scored about two minutes later for New Hampshire. While the game looked like it just might need overtime to decide a winner, it did finish in regulation.

Who won?

Find out here...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/1980-1981-Minnesota-Gophers-vs-1998-1999-New-Hampshire-Wildcats.html

Siouxfaninseattle
02-28-2014, 07:55 PM
Nice!

Aerman
02-28-2014, 08:22 PM
Go 'Cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Heck of a lot better than today's real life results :(

scoreboard
02-28-2014, 10:27 PM
Go 'Cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Heck of a lot better than today's real life results :(

Yes, UNH has historically been a better team on paper (computer) than on the ice come playoff time. Is this Sioux guy just setting us UNH fans for the kill? I can see him putting them into the Frozen Four only to get clobbered by somebody 7-1. Although, that would be the expected result. :(

Fighting Sioux 23
02-28-2014, 10:44 PM
Yes, UNH has historically been a better team on paper (computer) than on the ice come playoff time. Is this Sioux guy just setting us UNH fans for the kill? I can see him putting them into the Frozen Four only to get clobbered by somebody 7-1. Although, that would be the expected result. :(

Well, to calm any fears you (or others) may have of a vast UNH conspiracy, all games are simulated using a program developed by the guys at CHW. If UNH gets to the Frozen Four, it will do so via the simulator. My input comes from my formula that I developed to rank teams historically. That being said, I was a bit surprised at the outcome. That '80-81 Minnesota squad had a tremendous top line (greatest ever?). Apparently it was just shy of enough to get them into the next round.