X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA era Tournament

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    Game Update Post

The Black Bear and Wolverine fans are entering the site of the 2002 Olympics (then called the E Center), and they are all getting psyched up for this matchup between heavyweights. The winner will advance to take on the 2008-2009 BU Terriers, ranked #6 in this tournament, in the 2nd round in the West Regional. I just spoke with Maine Assistant Coach Bruce Crowder, who let me know that Scott King will get the nod in nets today. I also spoke with Michigan boss Al Renfrew, who stated that Bob Gray will start between the pipes. Puck drop is set for about Noon (eastern), so buckle up and get ready for a classic!
    Bob Gray from the forum? Easy win!

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      Bob Gray from the forum? Easy win!
      Well, if he's as conservative about allowing goals as he is on the boards, it could be a frustrating day for the Black Bears.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

#38 - 2002-2003 Colorado College Tigers vs. #91 - 2007-2008 Colorado College Tigers
        May 31, 2013
        Colorado Springs World Arena

Game Update Post

Both sets of Tigers are in the house here in Colorado Springs, and the yellow and black crowd is filing in, looking forward to a classic. I just spoke with Scott Owens from 2003, who let me know that Curtis McElhinney will get the start for the '03 Tigers. I also spoke with Scott Owens from 2008, who confirmed that Richard Bachmann would start in net for the '08 Tigers. Puck drop is set for Noon (eastern)!
        Will Resume Tomorrow Morning - Family Emergency
        I'm picturing Owens in a little above ice tram going from bench to bench

PS hope everyone in the family is ok
        GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
          I'm picturing Owens in a little above ice tram going from bench to bench

PS hope everyone in the family is ok

Thanks. Mother-in-law had a bad fall yesterday. She's fine, but it is looking like she is going to need another hip replacement at some point.
          North Dakota

Comment

#59 - 1987-1988 Maine Black Bears vs. #70 - 1963-1964 Michigan Wolverines
            May 31, 2013
            Maverick Center, West Valley, UT

Game Update Post - continued

We left off with a 4-4 game with 10:18 left in the 3rd period

- Michigan nearly scores again, but King comes up big, stopping Wilkie's wrister from about 20 feet out. King doesn't control the rebound though, and Beers is forced to ice the puck. Walsh then calls his timeout to calm down the Black Bears and also give them a chance to reset their minds after a spat of bad luck tied the game. 8:00 left in the 3rd.
            - Maine playing tremendously better following the timeout. Mario Thyer nearly lit the lamp for the Black Bears, but Bob Gray made a tremendous blocker save to kick the puck out of play. 6:30 left in the 3rd.
            - Now the Black Bears will head to the powerplay, as Roger Galipeau gets the gate for Interference with 5:53 left in the 3rd. Huge opportunity here for the Black Bears to take the lead.
            - Maine had a few chances, but nothing great, and Gray was all over the couple shots from the point that made their way to him. Michigan kills the penalty, and we're back at 5x5 with just 3:30 left in the 3rd period. 4-4 game.
            - Bob Corkum Scores!! Michigan was starting to take over the game late in the 3rd, and Claudio Scremin was just trying to get the puck out to center ice. Unfortunately for the Wolverines, the pinching Tom Polonic was unable to control the puck, and Bob Corkum raced down the far boards, reeled the puck in, and fired a wrist shot from the near dot that rose past Gray's glove, and Maine is back in front 5-4 with just 1:17 left to play in the 3rd.
            - Michigan calls their timeout and pulls their goalie. Should be a tremendous finish here in Utah.
            Mike McHugh Scores!! Michigan trying desperately to tie the game up pulls their goalie, but McHugh intercepts a pass in the neutral zone and skates down into the Michigan end and fires a wrister from the dot into the empty net, and the Black Bears will win the game, as just 3 seconds remain on the scoreboard.
            - And that's all she wrote here in Utah. Maine wins 6-4, and will advance to take on the 2008-2009 BU Terriers in the 2nd round.
            - Final Shots on Goal: Maine - 28, Michigan - 28.
            Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 06-01-2013, 10:41 AM.
            North Dakota

Comment

Hope your family situation has stabilized and you've done well on your exams, FS23.

Now that it's summer, and the living is easy, the fish are jumping, and the cotton is high...

Is your simulator working?

[hint, hint]
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                Hope your family situation has stabilized and you've done well on your exams, FS23.

Now that it's summer, and the living is easy, the fish are jumping, and the cotton is high...

Is your simulator working?

[hint, hint]
                The family situation has resolved itself, and things are back to relatively normal.

The semester went better than anticipated, so that was a plus. I am taking a summer class (Tax - yawn), so that eats up a decent amount of my time.

The simulator is just fine. However, it's difficult to find 2 free hours to post game updates lately. I've debated about posting summaries of the games. Those would probably only take me 15-20 minutes to write up, so I could probably do 4-5/week. The consensus when I brought this up before though was that people would rather wait and get the "play by play" than a watered down version. If that thought process has changed, I'll gladly try to get a game/day done, but until then, it's a matter of finding 2+ hours to write the updates.
                North Dakota

Comment

The simulator is just fine. However, it's difficult to find 2 free hours to post game updates lately. I've debated about posting summaries of the games. Those would probably only take me 15-20 minutes to write up, so I could probably do 4-5/week. The consensus when I brought this up before though was that people would rather wait and get the "play by play" than a watered down version. If that thought process has changed, I'll gladly try to get a game/day done, but until then, it's a matter of finding 2+ hours to write the updates.

Here is a suggestion, perhaps you could post summaries to get the tournament rolling againg, and then add the "play by play" only for those games in which it is specifically requested?

Depends upon how much which people want to see. If you do 4 per week between now and Labor day, that would be 32 games, which aren't enough to finish the tournament by then.

If you do fewer than 4 per week, given your schedule, the tournament might by necessity fade into oblivion due to lack of time and ensuing competition for your attention, which is perfectly understandable.

Depends then upon whether more people want to see the tournament advance into later rounds at the expense of the play-by-play, or whether they are content to see the tournament suspended as long as they do get the play-by-play for whatever games are completed.

Since this is a wonderful gift from you to the rest of us, I'm thankful for whatever we do get.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I like the play by plays, but agree with FreshFish
                    "My greatest achievement."
                    Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

How about recaps until we get to the quarter/semi finals then go back to the full game. That way you would have time for your Tax(yawn) class work.
                      GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                        How about recaps until we get to the quarter/semi finals then go back to the full game. That way you would have time for your Tax(yawn) class work.
                        Short recaps at least for this round and see how it goes for next round. They are getting rid of the IRS so your class will be a waste of time. Now if you are interested in that new NSA class well HUSH HUSH

Comment

Well, here's what the game recaps will look like...enjoy.

#56 – 1990-1991 LSSU Lakers vs. #73 – 2005-2006 BU Terriers

It was another epic matchup in the Top 100 Tournament this afternoon in Hartford, as the 1990-1991 LSSU Lakers squared off against the 2005-2006 BU Terriers at the XL Center. Following a sterling rendition of the National Anthem by Divinyls, thoughts of touching oneself quickly turned to the ice. LSSU Bench Boss Jeff Jackson started All-American Darrin Madeley in net, while BU legend Jack Parker pointed to John Curry to lead the Terriers in goal.

A capacity crowd of 15,635 were on their feet as the WCHA crew dropped the puck. LSSU started quickly in the first period, as Mark Astley zipped a pass through center ice that found a streaking Jim Dowd at the Terrier blue line. Dowd split the defenders and roofed a beautiful wrister over the outstretched glove of Curry with 14:43 left in the opening stanza. LSSU nearly added a second goal moments later when Tim Breslin ripped a slapshot from the near circle that fooled Curry, but rattled off the crossbar to keep the game within a goal for the Terriers. BU took advantage of their luck, and skating 4x4 following matching roughing minors, Bryan Ewing slammed home a rebound from the top of the crease, after Madeley was unable to control a Sean Sullivan bullet from the point. The Terrier goal knotted the score at 1-1 with 8:46 remaining in the first. Neither side was able to take control the rest of the way in the first, but Jason Lawrence took an ill-advised elbowing penalty with just 63 seconds left on the clock to put BU down a man for the remainder of the period.

LSSU jumped on BU early in the second, as Jeff Napierala lit the lamp on the powerplay just 37 seconds into the middle frame. LSSU began to dominate play, and just under three minutes later, Steve Barnes found Kurt Miller on a dot to dot pass, and Miller ripped a one-timer past Curry to give LSSU a 3-1 lead with 16:28 left in the second. Coach Parker called a timeout following the goal, and BU settled down, and started to take over. Midway through the second period, BU had an excellent chance to get within one as the Lakers found themselves down two men after Clayton Beddoes and Doug Weight went to the box within about 45 seconds of each other. Unfortunately for the Terriers, they were unable to score with the 75 seconds of the 5x3 advantage. LSSU would give BU another chance later in the second, as Tim Harris got his stick up high on Peter MacArthur. This time, as the powerplay neared its end, the Terriers’ Chris Higgins won an offensive zone draw to Dan Spang, who fired a slapshot from the point that beat a screened Madeley to put BU back within one. The second period would end with LSSU holding a slim 3-2 advantage.

LSSU once again came out strong to start the period, but John Curry was up to the task, stopping a Laker flurry early in the final period of regulation. However, the Lakers would solve the BU netminder once more with 13:07 left in the third, as Sandy Moger tipped in Tim Harris’ shot from the slot, and once again LSSU held a two goal advantage. Following the goal BU once again turned the tables, and began to take control of the action, but Madeley came up with two tremendous saves midway through the third to keep the Lakers up 4-2. BU continued to mount pressure, and drew a penalty with 7:46 remaining, but LSSU did a masterful job on the PK, only to find themselves down a man again with just 4:38 left. Peter MacArthur nearly put BU within one just seconds into the man advantage, but Darrin Madeley robbed the BU forward with a tremendous glove save. While LSSU managed to kill the penalty, BU continued to put the pressure on, and with 1:20 left in the third, Sandy Moger tripped Brandon Yip, to put the Terriers on the powerplay once again. With an empty net, BU gave it their all, but LSSU’s PK proved too much. With just 24 seconds remaining, Jim Dowd won a battle in the corner, flipped the puck down the ice, and celebrated as the goal light flicked on. The empty net, shorthanded goal gave LSSU a 5-2 lead, and that would be all they would need. BU tried to attack in the waning seconds, but when the final horn sounded, the scoreboard read: LSSU 5 – 2 BU.

The Lakers will advance to the second round where they will square off against the #9 1961-1962 Michigan Tech Huskies squad in a classic Yooper Battle. Final shots on goal in the game were BU with 29, and LSSU with 23. First Star: Jim Dowd (2g-0a-2p). Second Star: Darrin Madeley (27 sv, 93.1 sv%). Third Star: Mark Astley (0g-2a-2p).
                          North Dakota

Comment

Thanks!

Much appreciated.

If you are able to get one of those done each weekday between now and labor day (if, I said, if....) then by Labor Day we'd be about 1/4 - 1/3 of the way through what is labeled as the round of 32, it looks like, if I did my math correctly..

22 more to finish the opening round (if this is up-to-date: http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/T...ment-2013.html)

Also, it looks like the bracket might be mislabeled in the top row? where it says "elite 8" actually has 8 games while in common parlance it usually means 8 teams; sweet 16 usually means 16 teams but the top-row label has it at 16 games (you'll see that the top row label has "champion" twice, once for each side of the bracket).

Comment

This list is bull**** without the tradition modifier. And everyone knows it
                              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                                Thanks!

Much appreciated.

If you are able to get one of those done each weekday between now and labor day (if, I said, if....) then by Labor Day we'd be about 1/4 - 1/3 of the way through what is labeled as the round of 32, it looks like, if I did my math correctly..

22 more to finish the opening round (if this is up-to-date: http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/T...ment-2013.html)
                                I'm not sure if I'll be able to get 5/week done, but hopefully I can. I'm away on vacation currently, so I don't know how many will be posted in the next week or so, but I hope to get back to getting at least a couple done when I get back.

Originally posted by FreshFish
                                Also, it looks like the bracket might be mislabeled in the top row? where it says "elite 8" actually has 8 games while in common parlance it usually means 8 teams; sweet 16 usually means 16 teams but the top-row label has it at 16 games (you'll see that the top row label has "champion" twice, once for each side of the bracket).
                                It looks fine on my end. The Elite 8 has 4 teams on each side (8 total teams), same with sweet 16, round of 32. Also, I have "Championship" on each side, as that is when we're down to the two teams that will play in the championship...one from the left side of the bracket, and one from the right side. It looks fine on IE, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari, but I know people have had issues with the formatting when using Linux.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X