PDA

View Full Version : Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA era Tournament

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Ralph Baer
02-16-2014, 03:47 PM
CHW is College Hockey Weekly. That is where you go to read the game recap if you click on the link that I posted. The other "recap" is the one I do on here.

As for a Beatles' Tribute Team, the only team from 1963-1964 was Michigan, and they lost in the First Round. Also, the national anthem is always sung by a group/person that had a big hit during the run of the higher seeded team. My plan was to do lesser artists for the earlier round games, and then the bigger artists for the bigger games. I'll probably wait on the Beatles until the Sweet 16 depending on who makes it that far. They'll definitely come in to sing the Star Spangled Banner at some point in time though. :p:D:D

The SSB with a British Accent! :eek: ;)

Priceless
02-16-2014, 04:11 PM

It's only fair since the Brits play "My Country 'tis of Thee" whenever the Queen makes an appearance. :D

Fighting Sioux 23
02-17-2014, 04:50 PM

Plus, you know it's a great tournament when foreigners come back from the dead to sing our national anthem. :p:D:D

Fighting Sioux 23
02-20-2014, 08:53 AM
#2 – 1969-1970 Cornell Big Red vs. #63 – 2004-2005 Boston College Eagles
East Regional - Round of 64
Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
February 20, 2014

Game Update Post but feel free to chime in

The crowd has packed Madison Square Garden, and both teams are being introduced. Coach York and Coach Harkness are both looking a little on edge as they get ready to square off in the East Regional's Round of 64 today. Should be a classic. Introductions are underway, and the crowd is electric. Lots of different shades of red in the stands. Coach York going with Matti Kaltiainen with the start. There had been some discussion that York would go with Schneider. No surprise that Brian Cropper gets the start for Cornell. Both sides are on their feet and going nuts as Edwin Starr has come out to sing the National Anthem! Beautiful rendition, but both sides ready for war on the ice now! We have a WCHA crew that is about to drop the puck...

First Period
- Puck dropped and we're underway. 19:59 left in the 1st...
- Garth Ryan with a nifty move at center ice to avoid a big hit by Andrew Alberts and got himself free in the BC zone. He fired a wrister from the top of the near circle, but Matti made the save. 18:30 left in the 1st.
- Cornell putting on some pressure here, but unable to hit the net with a few of their chances. 0-0 with 17:00 left to play in the first period.
- Finally had our first whistle of the game as BC went offside. Solid play by both teams, but neither with any great chances yet. 16:00 left in the 1st.
- Cornell will head to the powerplay! Brian Boyle tripped up John Hughes in the neutral zone. Probably one that York will be okay with as the Big Red were set to have an odd-man rush. 14:00 left in the 1st.
- Dan Lodboa hits the post!! Lodboa sent a howitzer of a slapper from the far circle that beat Matti, but drilled the crossbar. About 30 seconds left in the man advantage, but Cornell is pressuring.
- BC kills the rest of the penalty. Both teams playing fairly defensive right now, not wanting to give up the opener. 11:30 left in the 1st.
- Cropper with a tremendous save! BC's Peter Harrold found Patrick Eaves all by himself in the neutral zone, and Eaves came in on a clean break. The Eagle tried to go forehand-backhand-forehand, but Cropper stayed with him the whole time and stonewalled Eaves. Still 0-0 with 10:00 left.
- A lot of play in the neutral zone right now. BC is trying to assert themselves, but Cornell is playing a tremendous game in their own zone. Very few chances here of late...8:00 left in the 1st period.
- We'll have some 4x4 hockey for the next two minutes as Garth Ryan and Joe Rooney get into some fisticuffs in front of the BC net. Both will get 2 for roughing. Hopefully this opens things up a bit. 6:30 left in the 1st period.
- David Spina nearly puts BC on the board, but Cropper makes a strong glove save. Spina found himself all alone with the puck in the slot and fired a wrist shot, but Cropper got the glove on it. 5:00 left in the 1st...still 0-0.
- The 4x4 ends and both sides are back to full strength, but moments after Gordon Lowe absolutely leveled Dan Bertram at center ice. The Cornell faithful razzed Bertram as he slowly skated back to the bench. 3:45 left in the opening frame.
- While there may not be much in the way of chances thus far, the game has been extremely well played. Both sides skating well, and either one look poised to take the advantage. 2:00 left in the first period. 0-0.
- That's the end of the first period. Both sides executed their defensive strategies to near perfection, but were unable to convert their chances. Through 20 minutes of play, we're scoreless at MSG.
- Shots on goal in the 1st: Cornell - 9, Boston College - 7

2nd Period:
- Puck has dropped for the second period. 19:59 left in the 2nd.
- Play quite similar to the end of the first. Neither team willing to give an inch, and a lot of play in the neutral zone. Both teams want this one, but are refusing to give up the first goal. 18:00 left in the 2nd.
- Apparently Matti Kaltiainen's mother called to let him knows that he sucks...the Cornell faithful aren't letting a 0-0 hockey game get in the way of their entertainment...one of the best cheering sections in the game.
- Not much in the way of scoring chances. It would seem as though Coach York and Coach Harkness are engaged in a masterful game of chess at the moment. 14:00 left in the 2nd.
- Chris Collins gets a sniff of a chance, but his wrister is weak and right into the glove of Cropper. Still 0-0 with 13:00 to go in the 2nd.
- A weird carom nearly results in the first goal of the game. Spina dumped the puck into the Cornell zone, and as the puck rang around the glass, it bounced out in front of Cropper. Ryan Shannon got the puck on his backhand, but his shot went over the net. 11:30 left in the middle stanza. 0-0.
- Brian McCutcheon Scores!! Lodboa won a battle in the Cornell zone, and found McCutcheon streaking into the neutral zone with a beautiful tape to tape pass. McCutcheon then walked around Brennan who was caught in a line change, worked his way to the near dot, fired a wrister that Matti stopped. The rebound came right back to McCutcheon who chipped the puck over Matti to give the Big Red a 1-0 lead. 10:34 left in the 2nd. 1-0 Cornell.
- Cornell really asserting themselves right now, and Dick Bertrand nearly gave the Big Red a 2-0 lead. He was in the slot, but his wrister was gloved by Matti. 9:00 left in the 2nd.
- Big Red controlling play, and BC is on their heels. Matti has come up with some solid saves to keep this game within a goal for the Eagles. 7:00 left in the 2nd. 1-0 Cornell.
- Ron Simpson will head to the penalty box for interference in the neutral zone. Harkness not happy about this...BC headed to the powerplay. 5:30 left in the 2nd.
- Beautiful PK by the Big Red. BC managed just one shot from the point that Cropper saw the whole way. BC unable to really get set up in the zone. 3:30 left in the 2nd.
- The Eagles will head back to the powerplay, as Cornell gets caught with too many men on the ice. 2:30 left in the 2nd. 1-0 Cornell.
- BC unable to do anything with the man advantage right now, as Cornell performing a perfect penalty kill. About 45 seconds left in the powerplay, but nothing going for BC right now.
- Cornell kills the rest of the penalty off. Just seconds remaining in the second period right now...momentum all for the Big Red.
- That's the end of the second period. Cornell leads BC 1-0 after forty minutes of hockey.
- Shots on goal in the 2nd: Cornell - 10, BC - 9

Fighting Sioux 23
02-20-2014, 09:55 AM
#2 – 1969-1970 Cornell Big Red vs. #63 – 2004-2005 Boston College Eagles
East Regional - Round of 64
Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
February 20, 2014

Game Update Post - Continued but still feel free to chime in...please :p

3rd period:
- Puck Dropped and we're underway here in the 3rd. 1-0 Cornell, 19:59 left to play in the third.
- BC on fire to start the third. The Eagles are buzzing in the Cornell zone for what seems like the first period of sustained pressure this entire game. Cropper doing a solid job though thus far in controlling rebounds to prevent any grade A chances for BC. 18:30 left in the third.
- Chris Collins just robbed by Cropper. Andrew Alberts let a slapper fly from the point and it hit traffic in front. Collins managed to get the puck on his stick about 10 feet out in the slot, and fired a wrist shot. Cropper snagged it with his glove, and the Cornell faithful went into some sort of Underdog rendition. So close for the Eagles. 16:00 left in the third...all BC right now, but still trail 1-0.
- Cornell really struggling right now. The puck has been in the Big Red zone almost the entire third period so far. While Cropper is managing to make the necessary saves to keep them in the lead...hard to imagine BC not scoring here soon. 14:00 left in the 3rd.
- Cornell starting to turn the tide a bit. Lodboa had a nice chance from the near circle that he lifted over the top of the net, but the Big Red starting to gain some momentum as we approach the midway point of the third...12:00 left in the 3rd.
- Lots of neutral zone play again. BC really trying to get into the Cornell zone, but the Big Red doing a tremendous job of winning the battles to loose pucks in their zone. Still 1-0 Cornell with 10:00 to play in the third...am I hearing cowbells?
- Cornell nearly goes up 2-0, but Matti makes a great kick save on Garth Ryan's one-timer from the bottom of the far circle. 9:00 left in the 3rd.
- Boston College is headed to the powerplay for the third time, as Ian Orr gets called for hooking Brian Boyle who was trying to bring the puck out of the corner in the Big Red zone. Seven and a half minutes left in the third.
- Andrew Alberts Scores!! Ryan Shannon won the faceoff following the penalty, and Alberts gathered the puck, and absolutely lasered a slap shot past Cropper to tie the game at one. The BC faithful look relieved. 1-1 with 7:19 left in the 3rd...we're in for a fantastic finish!
- BC looking for the kill right now. The momentum is completely in their corner. Not sure how much longer Cornell can hold up. 1-1. 5:30 left in the 3rd.
- Cropper makes a tremendous save on a wrist shot from the blue line. Screened by both Boyle and Orr, Cropper caught a glimpse of the puck and reached out his blocker to make the stop on Alberts' attempt for a second. BC dominating play. 4:00 left in the 3rd.
- And Boston College will head to the powerplay with just 3:12 left in the period as Jim Higgs is called for interference!
- UNBELIEVABLE!! Cropper may have just won the game for Cornell! Cropper stopped Boyle's wrister from the slot, followed it up with another save on Eaves' attempt from the near crease. Sprawled on the ice, Cropper watched as the puck trickled over to Stephen Gionta in the far crease. Gionta attempted to roof the puck into the top shelf, but Cropper lunged his glove up and made a tremendous save. BC still with 45 seconds left on the man advantage, but the save got both the Cornell fans and players back into this one.
- Coach Harkness has called a timeout for Cornell. The Big Red are exhausted right now, but look determined to find a way to win this one.
- John Hughes Scores!!!!! Just as the BC powerplay ended, Brian McCutcheon found Jim Higgs coming out of the box. Higgs skated in and fired a wrister that Matti got a piece of. The puck trickled to McCutcheon's stick as he came in as a trailer on the play. Instead of firing a bad angle shot, McCutcheon deftly fed a pass over to another trailer Hughes in the slot. Hughes ripped a one-timer past the out of position Kaltiainen. Cornell leads 2-1 with just 1:04 left in the third!
- Coach York has called his timeout for BC.
- BC skating with the extra attacker as York has pulled Matti.
- Eagles unable to gain entry into the Cornell zone. Tremendous effort by the Big Red to win these loose pucks whenever BC dumps it in. 20 seconds left!
- AND THAT'S THE GAME! Cornell wins 2-1!
- The Big Red move on to the Round of 32, where they will take on the winner of the '96-97 North Dakota-'65-66 Clarkson matchup.
- Shots on goal in the 3rd: BC - 13, Cornell - 7
- Shots on goal in the game: BC - 29, Cornell - 26

Fighting Sioux 23
02-20-2014, 10:32 AM
Here is the link to the CHW game recap...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/1969-1970-Cornell-vs-2004-2005-Boston-College.html

burgie12
02-20-2014, 10:53 AM
- The Big Red move on to the Round of 32, where they will take on the winner of the '96-97 North Dakota-'65-66 Clarkson matchup.
Could be undefeated vs undefeated next round. That'd be something!

lugnut92
02-20-2014, 12:07 PM

That should be undefeated vs. undefeated*.

Fighting Sioux 23
02-20-2014, 01:56 PM

1955-1956 Clarkson was undefeated. They are ranked #16 and on the other side of the bracket. The only way the two undefeateds could meet would be in the Championship.

1965-1966 Clarkson went 24-3-0 and lost the title game 6-1 to a .500ish Michigan State squad. They barely sneaked into the Top 100 Tournament at #95, but pulled arguably the biggest upset of the tournament so far. Do they have a few more left in them?

Ralph Baer
02-20-2014, 02:19 PM
1955-1956 Clarkson was undefeated. They are ranked #16 and on the other side of the bracket. The only way the two undefeateds could meet would be in the Championship.

1965-1966 Clarkson went 24-3-0 and lost the title game 6-1 to a .500ish Michigan State squad. They barely sneaked into the Top 100 Tournament at #95, but pulled arguably the biggest upset of the tournament so far. Do they have a few more left in them?

65-66 Clarkson choked. ;) They had demolished MSU during the regular season.

burgie12
02-20-2014, 04:09 PM

My bad. I knew it was a '*6 Clarkson team from well before my time that went undefeated. Didn't realize that Clarkson was actually good enough to send two teams into this tourney.

And we're very grateful for it! :D

drshoen
02-21-2014, 06:59 AM

Probably got screwed by bad reffing; the only thing that's been around longer than the ECAC. :p

Fighting Sioux 23
02-21-2014, 08:43 AM

They had beaten the Spartans 6-3 at home early in the season. Interestingly, they also played Denver (who Clarkson would beat 4-3 in the Semifinals) earlier in the year, getting outscored by a total of 12-8 in a series split (Clarkson won 5-4 in OT, Denver won 8-3).

That Spartans team is still the only team to ever finish sub .500 in the regular season, but win out in the Conference and NCAA Tournaments to capture the title. Michigan State finished the season with a 16-13-0 record. 5 years later, the '70-71 Gophers nearly pulled off the same feat, but had they won their last game, they would have finished the entire season under .500. If Minnesota had beat BU in the title game, they would have finished the season 15-16-2.

Fighting Sioux 23
02-26-2014, 04:25 PM
Given the lack of time that I have this week (along with the general lack of interest in this thread), there will not be a game update post this Thursday (tomorrow). There will be the CHW game recap, and I will provide a link when that is up and ready (should be sometime tomorrow...probably around noon).

That being said, what game would people like to be played tomorrow?

Priceless
02-26-2014, 05:36 PM
I think people will be more active in the thread in the off season. Right now there's too much else going on.

Ralph Baer
02-26-2014, 05:40 PM
I think people will be more active in the thread in the off season. Right now there's too much else going on.

I do read it and enjoy it whenever there is a post, season or offseason.

Siouxfaninseattle
02-26-2014, 07:38 PM
I do read it and enjoy it whenever there is a post, season or offseason.

Same for me.

Fighting Sioux 23
02-27-2014, 05:50 AM

The problem there is, the off season essentially begins with my finals period. Then, I'll likely be working an externship this summer, where my schedule could fluctuate quite a bit.

My hope is that I can have the Round of 64 done by the Frozen Four, and then try to at least post 1 update/week during the rest of the season/summer to try and get the Round of 32 done by the beginning of the Fall Semester (early August - my last semester...after 11 years in college :p:D:D). Then the hope is that I can have the Sweet 16 done by the beginning of next season. If I can do that, the Elite 8 would probably take place Mid-Late October, with the Frozen Four and Championship ideally taking place before Thanksgiving because after that I have finals period, followed by bar prep, followed by the bar. Then back to the real world again. :p:D:D

Fighting Sioux 23
02-27-2014, 06:38 AM
For those still interested, today's game is going to be...

#30 - 1988-1989 Michigan State Spartans vs. #35 - 1988-1989 Harvard Crimson
West Regional - Round of 64
Pepsi Center - Denver, CO
February 27, 2014

Obviously, this game is a rematch of the 1989 Final Four Semifinals, where the "underdog" Crimson beat Sparty 6-3 en route to the National Championship. Michigan State was the #1 seed from the West that year, but needed OT in Game 3 in their Quarterfinal matchup against Boston College to even get to the Semifinals. Meanwhile, Harvard was the #2 seed from the East, and cruised past defending Champion LSSU to make the trip to St. Paul for the Final Four. In the games that actually mattered, the Crimson would follow their 6-3 victory over Michigan State with a victory over the hometown Gophers in the National Championship. That '88-89 Minnesota Squad came in at #71 on my list, and are still alive in this tournament...though they face the #7 ranked team ('76-77 Wisconsin) in the Round of 64.

The game starts at 10:00am (Eastern), and I'll try and have short recaps after each period. Until then, I hope everyone interested chimes in with their favorite stories of the teams involved, their recollections of past games, and stuff like that. To me, that is what makes a thread like this interesting. Despite what some people may believe, I really don't enjoy talking to myself. :p:D:D

Fighting Sioux 23
02-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Introductions just finished here, and the crowd is now standing straight up as Paula Abdul is about to sing the National Anthem!

That was a beautiful rendition! Both teams' fans are going nuts right now ready for this one...feels like I'm caught in a hit and run. ;)

WCHA crew working the game, and the puck is set to drop for the first period...I'll be back in a bit to give a recap of the first twenty minutes.