X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA era Tournament

#44 Sioux vs. #85 Goofs.
    "My greatest achievement."
    Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

I'm tried looking, but have you described in this thread how the three sided dice simulator and TI SR50 slide rule calculator are used to perform the outcomes?

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
        I'm tried looking, but have you described in this thread how the three sided dice simulator and TI SR50 slide rule calculator are used to perform the outcomes?
        Well, it's not my simulator (it was designed by the guys at College Hockey Weekly before they closed up shop), so I don't know exactly what is in it. That being said, it uses the statistics from the team, their point value from my formula, and then a bunch of other statistics from the years of the two teams (such as average penalty minutes/goals scores/shots attempted). It was originally designed to predict games within the current season (using KRACH instead of my formula, it was correct about 70-75% of the time, and close to 85% by the end of the season...and no, it did not predict a Yale title, but did have QU playing for the National Title against Lowell), but they tweaked it for me. Basically, I plug in the data from the two teams, and it creates 100 events (ex. 1. Shot Missed - High - St. Cloud State - Tyler Arnason or 36. Penalty - Major - St. Cloud State - Derek Eastman - Checking from Behind). I then take the data and turn it into a script of sorts for my update posts.

Hopefully that helps answer some of your questions about the process. I wish I could explain better, but I'm simply not a programmer guy.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

#44 - 2000-2001 North Dakota Fighting Sioux vs. #85 - 1952-1953 Minnesota Golden Gophers
          May 25, 2013
          U.S. Bank Arena - Cincinnati, OH

Game Update Post

The crowd is starting to pour in here in Cincinnati, as longtime rivals North Dakota and Minnesota are squaring off in the First Round of the Top 100 Tournament. I just talked with first year head coach John Mariucci, and he let me know that James Mattson will get the start in net tonight for Minnesota. In the other net, assistant coach Dave Hakstol informed me that Karl Goehring will get the start. This should be an intense classic, with the winner advancing to the second round to take on the 2010-2011 North Dakota Fighting Sioux. Puck drop expected at 11:30am (Eastern).

Both teams are out on the ice, and the atmosphere in an already filled arena is electric. North Dakota is wearing white, while Minnesota has on their maroon sweaters.

Teams are back out for introductions, and the maroon and green crowd is going crazy.

Now it's time for the national anthem...why do I hear dogs barking??? UH OH!!! Ladies and Gentlemen, singing the national anthem today is the BAHA MEN!

What a beautiful performance...that should certainly get this party bumpin'. Puck Drop coming up next...

1st Period:
          - Puck has dropped and we're underway! Jeff Panzer wins the draw for North Dakota.
          - Ryan Bayda nearly puts the Sioux up early, but Mattson makes a great save on Bayda's shot from the slot.
          - And the Gophers will head to the powerplay early. John Mayasich was coming into the zone along the near boards, made a nice move, and was headed for the slot when David Hale tripped up Mayasich. Minnesota with the man advantage for 2:00 here early on in the first.
          - Richard Meredith with a great chance, but Karl Goehring was up to the task, getting his blocker on Meredith's writer from below the far dot. 1:00 left in the powerplay.
          - John Mayasich Scores!! Mayasich wins an offensive zone draw as the penalty was nearing its end. Kenneth Yackel picks the puck up and flips a shot on net that gets deflected in front. Mayasich wins the scramble for the puck, and slides it in the net to give the Gophers the early lead. 1-0 Minnesota. 15:54 left in the 1st.
          - North Dakota putting on pressure, but Minnesota is doing a tremendous job in front of their net to prevent any chances from getting to the goalie. 14:00 left in the 1st.
          - Bryan Lundbohm with a great effort, but Mattson is up to the task. North Dakota was changing lines, and instead of dumping the puck in, Lundbohm challenges the two Gopher defenders. Using his speed, he splits the two through the slot, gets a step and is in on Mattson. Lundbohm tries a forehand-backhand deke, but Mattson is not fooled, and Lundbohm's backhand is ripped out of the air by Mattson's glove to keep the Gophers up 1-0. 12:00 left in the 1st.
          - A lot of play in the neutral zone ends when Tim Skarperud gets checked from behind and into the boards by Wenell Anderson. The officials discussed the hit, but decided that it would be 2 minutes for boarding. North Dakota to the powerplay with 10:27 left in the 1st.
          - Minnesota does a tremendous job on the kill, limiting North Dakota to zero shots on goal thanks to some timely blocked shots. 8:00 left in the 1st. 1-0 Gophers.
          - Despite the lack of success on that powerplay, North Dakota is still controlling play. Gophers struggling to get the puck out of their zone right now. 7:00 left in the 1st.
          - North Dakota draws another penalty, this time Jeff Panzer gets slashed by James Tschida, and the Sioux have the man advantage once again. 6:02 left in the 1st.
          - Travis Roche just misses a great scoring chance. Jeff Panzer wins an offensive zone faceoff, and Bayda passes it over to Roche at the point, and Roche rips a slapshot that beats Mattson, but the puck sails wide. Minnesota then tries to clear the zone, and Aaron Schneekloth tries to pinch in to keep the puck in the zone, but it sneaks through. Mayasich would have had a clean break, but Schneekloth hauls him down and draws an interference penalty. We'll skate 4x4 for about a minute, and then a short Gopher powerplay. 4:58 left in the 1st.
          - Minnesota back to full strength, and they'll have about 55 seconds of powerplay.
          - North Dakota kills the short Gopher powerplay. It's still 1-0 with about 2:30 left in the 1st.
          - A lot of neutral zone play here as the first winds down. 1:00 left in the 1st.
          - And that's the end of the first period. Minnesota leads North Dakota 1-0.
          - Shots on goal in the 1st: North Dakota - 9, Minnesota - 8

2nd Period:
          - Puck has dropped for the second period!
          - Jeff Panzer Scores!! Panzer wins the opening draw, and Travis Roche dumps the puck into the Gopher zone. Minnesota tries to clear, but Ryan Bayda stops the puck along the far boards, finds a streaking Panzer into the slot, and Panzer rips a wrister over Mattson to tie this game up at 1, just 14 seconds into the 2nd.
          - Bryan Lundbohm Scores!! Jason Notermann gets the puck in the neutral zone and takes it in along the near boards, fires the puck around the boards to Bryan Lundbohm in the far corner. Lundbohm fires what looked like an innocent wrister, but it beats Mattson shortside, and less than a minute into the second and the Sioux take a 2-1 lead.

- Coach Mariucci takes his timeout. The North Dakota crowd is going bananas right now.
          - Mayasich showing his leadership right now, as he basically took over that last shift, but it didn't lead to a scoring chance. Minnesota looked stunned after the back to back goals by the Sioux, but they have regained their composure here after the timeout. 18:00 left in the 2nd.
          - Gophers earn a powerplay after Chris Leinweber gets called for elbowing Linder Peterson...Mariucci wanted a 5 for that, but it's only a 2. 16:38 left in the 2nd.
          - Gene Campbell Scores!! John Mayasich wins the offensive zone draw after the penalty, and Campbell gets the puck, skates to the point, and fires a low wrister that gets past the screened Goehring, and we're tied at 2! 16:31 left in the 2nd
          - Minnesota is really controlling play right now, but North Dakota is limiting any quality scoring chances. 15:00 left in the 2nd.
          - The Gophers will head back to the powerplay, as Mayasich received a nasty slash from Jason Notermann. Mayasich is shaking his wrist and is heading back to the tunnel to get that looked at. Hopefully he'll be okay. 13:18 left in the 2nd, and Minnesota is on the man advantage.
          - North Dakota kills the powerplay. Mayasich is back on the bench, but didn't see any icetime during the powerplay.
          - Lots of back and forth in the neutral zone right now, as neither side wants to give up an inch.
          - OH MY! Looks like we'll have matching minors. Mayasich made his way back on the ice, and Travis Roche lays out the star Gopher forward. The refs confer, and give 2 minutes to Roche for cross-checking and 2 minutes to Mayasich for embellishment. Mariucci and Blais are both livid over this one...but we'll skate 4x4 for the next two minutes, with just under 9:00 left in the 2nd.
          - Neither side able to do much skating 4x4, and both sides are back to full strength.
          - Dump and chase is the flavor of the action currently. It seems the second one team dumps the puck in to the other's zone, that team gets the puck to center and dumps it in the other zone. Rinse and repeat. 4:00 left in the 2nd.
          - North Dakota is really pressuring the Gophers right now. A few shots from the point and a great look by Lundbohm have all been stopped by Mattson. 3:00 left in the 2nd.
          - Quinn Fylling hits the post! North Dakota was cycling the puck behind the net, and Tim Skarperud found Fylling just below the near circle. Fylling lifted a wrister up, and it beat Mattson, but rang off the crossbar, and we're still tied at 2 with about 90 seconds left.
          - Jeff Panzer Scores!! North Dakota traps Minnesota in their own zone, unable to change, and a tired Gopher squad was unable to stop Panzer from unleashing a Howitzer to the top shelf from the slot, following a great feed from behind the net by Ryan Bayda. North Dakota is now up 3-2 with 1:08 left in the 2nd.
          - That's the end of the second period, as neither side was able to mount much following Panzer's goal. North Dakota leads 3-2.
          - Shots on goal in the 2nd: North Dakota - 12, Minnesota - 8
          Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 05-25-2013, 12:20 PM.
          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
            Well, it's not my simulator (it was designed by the guys at College Hockey Weekly before they closed up shop), so I don't know exactly what is in it. That being said, it uses the statistics from the team, their point value from my formula, and then a bunch of other statistics from the years of the two teams (such as average penalty minutes/goals scores/shots attempted). It was originally designed to predict games within the current season (using KRACH instead of my formula, it was correct about 70-75% of the time, and close to 85% by the end of the season...and no, it did not predict a Yale title, but did have QU playing for the National Title against Lowell), but they tweaked it for me. Basically, I plug in the data from the two teams, and it creates 100 events (ex. 1. Shot Missed - High - St. Cloud State - Tyler Arnason or 36. Penalty - Major - St. Cloud State - Derek Eastman - Checking from Behind). I then take the data and turn it into a script of sorts for my update posts. Hopefully that helps answer some of your questions about the process. I wish I could explain better, but I'm simply not a programmer guy.
            Yes thanks, was just curious and the 70% plus sounds surprising. That is only for picking the winner or the score as well?

Comment

Yes thanks, was just curious and the 70% plus sounds surprising. That is only for picking the winner or the score as well?
              Just the winner (or a tie). Early in the season it was only correct around 55% of the time. Once the KRACH started to get more accurate (probably the last 1/3 of the season) it was far closer to 80%.
              North Dakota

Comment

#44 - 2000-2001 North Dakota Fighting Sioux vs. #85 - 1952-1953 Minnesota Golden Gophers
                May 25, 2013

Game Update Post - Continued

3rd Period:
                - Puck has dropped for the third!
                - Minnesota putting on pressure early, but once again, North Dakota is limiting the Gophers to the periphery and Goehring is gobbling up anything that makes its way to him. 18:00 left in the 3rd.
                - Robert Johnson is robbed! Mayasich break in on a 2x1 with Johnson and Sioux defender Chad Mazurak decides to take Mayasich. Mayasich then slides the puck over to Johnson, who rips a one-timer, but Goehring just gets a piece of it with his glove, and the puck deflects out of play. 16:00 left in the 3rd.
                - The Gophers will head to the man advantage, as Wes Dorey gets called for interference. 14:41 left in the 3rd. Still 3-2 UND.
                - Beautiful PK by the Sioux, as the only Gopher chance was from nearly 60 feet out from a point shot by Yackel that Goehring saw the whole way. Just over 12 to go in the 3rd.
                - Minnesota going back to the powerplay as David Hale gets called for cross-checking Parker Stroom as Stroom was trying to cycle the puck behind the North Dakota net. 11:21 left in the 3rd.
                - Mayasich with a tremendous chance! Mayasich wins the offensive zone draw back to Yackel. Yackel fires one in on Goehring that Goehring gets a pad on, but the rebound goes to Mayasich who fires it on Goehring who makes a tremendous leg save, but gives another rebound that Mayasich pounces on, but pushes just wide of the net. Still 3-2 with about 45 seconds left on the Gopher powerplay.
                - North Dakota kills the remainder of the powerplay. 9:00 left in the 3rd. 3-2 Sioux.
                - Minnesota is all over North Dakota right now, and it looks like the penalties have worn out the Sioux. 8:00 left in the 3rd.
                - Minnesota will head back to the Powerplay again, as Kevin Spiewak gets called for holding Wendell Anderson, as Anderson was trying to get out in front of the net.
                - Richard Meredith is stoned by Goehring! Meredith gets control of the puck in the far corner, and feeds it back behind the net to Anderson. Meredith then heads to the slot, and Anderson finds Meredith, who rips a wrist shot, but Goehring gets a piece of it with his blocker and sends it into the corner. About 1:00 left in the Gopher powerplay.
                - North Dakota kills the rest of the penalty, but their legs are dead right now. 5:25 left in the 3rd. Minnesota all over the Sioux, but trail 3-2.
                - Wow! North Dakota gets called again for another penalty, this time Jason Lundbohm who gets called for slashing Yackel. Yackel dumped the puck into the North Dakota zone, and Lundbohm tries to get position on Yackel, but apparently uses too much of his stick and gets the slashing call. 4:08 left in the 3rd.
                - Robert Johnson misses a glorious chance! John Mayasich has the puck behind the net, and tries to come out for a wraparound. Goehring gets a piece of it, but his rebound deflects off a Sioux defender out front, and right to Johnson who has a gaping net to shoot at. Johnson rips a wrister, and it sails over the open net. About 45 seconds left on the Gopher powerplay.
                - North Dakota kills off the remainder of the powerplay, and then ices the puck with just 1:40 left in the 3rd. Coach Blais calls his timeout, and it looks like Mariucci is going to pull Mattson for the extra attacker. The North Dakota bench is exhausted, but the Gopher bench looks frustrated. This should be a tremendous final 100 seconds here in Cincinnati.
                - Mayasich with two beautiful chances, but Goehring stops both of them! Mayasich gets the puck at the far dot and lets a wrist shot fly that misses behind the net. The puck kicks out along the near boards, and Meredith sees Mayasich all by himself at the far post. Meredith fires a pass over to Mayasich who tries to one-time it into the back of the net, but Goehring gets his leg pad over just in time to send the puck into the corner. About 45 seconds left, and the Gophers are putting on tons of pressure.
                - Jeff Panzer Scores!! Mayasich tries to feed a cross ice pass to Meredith for a one-timer, but Panzer deflects the puck out of the zone. Yackel tries to retrieve it, but Panzer steals the puck from Yackel in the neutral zone, skates past center ice, and dumps the puck in for an empty net goal, his third of the game, with just 14 seconds remaining. What an individual effort! North Dakota now up 4-2 and looks certain to advance
                - And that does it here from Ohio! North Dakota advances to the Second Round, and they will take on the 2010-2011 North Dakota Fighting Sioux.
                - Final Shots on Goal: Minnesota - 31, North Dakota - 27.
                Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 05-25-2013, 12:34 PM.
                North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                  May 25, 2013
                  Just curious

Did they without the red line and no checking in the offensive zone?
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Just curious

Did they without the red line and no checking in the offensive zone?
                    I'm not 100% sure if I understand your question, but I think you're asking what rules are played by in the games? If so, the game is played with the current rules of the game...not necessarily the rules in place when one or both teams in the game played. As for eligibility, the rules that were in place when the team played are the rules in place for the games. For example, if the 1965-1966 Cornell squad had made the tournament, Ken Dryden would not have been available to play. On the other hand, if a team scores during a delayed penalty, the penalty will still be assessed following the goal.
                    North Dakota

Comment

I'm not 100% sure when the next game will be, but Monday around noonish (Eastern) would be the earliest. If not Monday, then Wednesday (late afternoon/early evening) is the likely date. Also, there is a chance that next Saturday would feature a double-header.

As for the game, here are the options:

#29 - 1959-1960 Denver vs. #100 - 2002-2003 New Hampshire
                      #31 - 1996-1997 North Dakota vs. #98 - 1995-1996 Boston University
                      #32 - 1948-1949 Boston College vs. #97 - 1953-1954 Minnesota
                      #33 - 1967-1968 Cornell vs. #96 - 1972-1973 Denver
                      #34 - 1993-1994 Boston University vs. #95 - 1965-1966 Clarkson
                      #36 - 1989-1990 Wisconsin vs. #93 - 1973-1974 Michigan Tech
                      #38 - 2002-2003 Colorado College vs. #91 - 2007-2008 Colorado College
                      #39 - 1994-1995 Maine vs. #90 - 1998-1999 Michigan State
                      #40 - 1984-1985 Minnesota Duluth vs. #89 - 1995-1996 Colorado College
                      #41 - 1956-1957 Colorado College vs. #88 - 1968-1969 Denver
                      #42 - 2005-2006 Wisconsin vs. #87 - 1989-1990 Michigan State
                      #43 - 1982-1983 Wisconsin vs. #86 - 1974-1975 Michigan Tech
                      #45 - 1983-1984 Bowling Green vs. #84 - 1999-2000 Wisconsin
                      #46 - 1996-1997 Michigan vs. #83 - 1978-1979 North Dakota
                      #48 - 1991-1992 LSSU vs. #81 - 1985-1986 Michigan State
                      #49 - 1987-1988 LSSU vs. #80 - 2001-2002 Denver
                      #50 - 1982-1983 Minnesota vs. #79 - 1971-1972 Boston University
                      #51 - 1998-1999 North Dakota vs. #78 - 1991-1992 Michigan
                      #52 - 1979-1980 Northern Michigan vs. #77 - 2001-2002 Minnesota
                      #53 - 1981-1982 Wisconsin vs. #76 - 1964-1965 Michigan Tech
                      #55 - 2002-2003 Cornell vs. #74 - 2009-2010 Miami
                      #56 - 1990-1991 LSSU vs. #73 - 2005-2006 Boston University
                      #59 - 1987-1988 Maine vs. #70 - 1963-1964 Michigan

I'll randomly select a game if nobody voices a preference. If there are suggestions, I will pick the one that receives the most support.

Also, the bracket has been updated...

http://www.collegehockeyweekly.com/T...ment-2013.html
                      North Dakota

Comment

CC vs CC of course

Comment

CC vs CC of course
                          I second that.
                          "My greatest achievement."
                          Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Here is the updated schedule. Tomorrow we're going to have our first double-header, with two games will go on at the same time! If that goes well, then on Saturday, we'll try another. If not, then I'll just go back to 1 game at a time.

Tentative schedule:
                            Friday (around Noon eastern)
                            1)#38 - 2002-2003 Colorado College vs. #91 - 2007-2008 Colorado College
                            2)#59 - 1987-1988 Maine vs. #70 - 1963-1964 Michigan

Saturday (probably around 10-11am eastern)
                            1)#29 - 1959-1960 Denver vs. #100 - 2002-2003 New Hampshire
                            2)#56 - 1990-1991 LSSU vs. #73 - 2005-2006 Boston University

Next Tuesday would be the earliest the next game would be, although Wednesday is probably the more likely date.
                            North Dakota

Comment

#38 - 2002-2003 Colorado College Tigers vs. #91 - 2007-2008 Colorado College Tigers
                              May 31, 2013
                              Colorado Springs World Arena

Game Update Post

Norah Jones will be singing the national anthem today!

That was amazing! Truly a great talent. Don't know why she hasn't sung at one of these games before!

Puck drop is next!

1st Period:
                              - Puck has dropped, the crowd is going wild, and we're underway from Colorado Springs!
                              - Peter Sejna showing why he was awarded the Hobey Baker, dangling the puck around in the '08 Tiger's zone, and nearly sets up Joe Cullen early with a beautiful cross ice pass from below the far circle. Cullen gets a wrister off, but it sails just high. 19:00 left in the 1st.
                              - The '03 Tigers are putting on a lot of pressure. Following Cullen's chance, James Laux ripped a slapshot from the point that fools Bachmann, but goes just over the top of the net. 18:00 left in the 1st.
                              - And The '03 Tigers will head to the powerplay, as Peter Sejna gets hooked down behind the net by Billy Sweatt. 16:44 left in the 1st.
                              - Peter Sejna Scores!! The Hobey winner makes the '08 Tigers pay for the penalty, as Sejna scores on a rebound after Joe Cullen won an offensive zone draw back to Canzanello, who fired a shot from the point in on net that gets deflected to Cullen who fires a wrister that Bachmann stops, but the rebound kicks out to Sejna, who fires it into the net. '03 Tigers up 1-0.
                              - The '08 Tigers are really struggling to get anything going, as the '03 Tigers are simply dominating possession in the offensive zone. 14:00 left in the 1st.
                              - Sejna with another great chance. Sejna wins a battle along the boards in the far corner, then works his way to the far dot and rips a wrist shot on net that Bachmann just gets a piece of and the puck flies out of play. 12:00 left in the 1st.
                              - Marty Sertich Scores!! Sertich gets a great feed at the near circle from Tyler Liebel, who was behind the net. Sertich wastes no time and rips a one-timer that beats Bachmann, and all of a sudden this looks like a route. It's 2-0 '03 Tigers with 11:21 left in the 1st.
                              - '08 Scotty Owens calls his timeout.
                              - The timeout has appeared to give the '08 Tigers some confidence, as the game has moved from their end to the neutral zone right now. Neither side really amounting much right now, but the breath of air may have been just what the '08 Tigers needed. 9:00 left in the 1st.
                              - The '08 Tigers with their first legitimate chance as Jack Hillen unleashed an absolute Howitzer from the blueline. Unfortunately for Hillen, McElhinney gets his blocker on it, and the '08 Tigers remain scoreless. 7:00 left in the 1st.
                              - The '08 Tigers are starting to get some pressure going, generating a few chances, but nothing major as of yet. 5:00 left in the 1st. 2-0 '03 Tigers.
                              - Now the '08 Tigers will head to the powerplay, after Mark Stuart gets called for interference after hauling down Mike Testwuide, who had dumped the puck into the '03 Tiger zone. 3:35 left in the 1st, and the '08 TIgers have the 2 minute man advantage.
                              - The '03 Tigers with a beautiful PK, as the '08 Tigers never generated much of anything. About 1:00 left in the 1st. 2-0 '03 Tigers.
                              - And that's the end of the 1st period. '03 Tigers have a 2-0 lead.
                              - Shots on Goal in the 1st: '03 Tigers - 11, '08 Tigers - 5

2nd Period:
                              - After a long delay, the puck has dropped here in the Springs for the 2nd period of action!
                              - Pretty tame start for both sets of Tigers. The speed is there, but passes are not connecting at the moment. Clearly, the long delay has caused some rustiness on both sides. 17:30 left to go in the 2nd. 2-0 '03 Tigers.
                              - Dump and chase. Dump and chase...the fans are a little restless here early in the second. Apparently neither team got the memo that the game actually started back up at 8:30am Mountain Time this morning! 15:00 left in the 2nd.
                              - Nate Prosser with a tremendous check on Peter Sejna in the neutral zone seems to have awoken the '08 Tigers, who have taken control of this one early on here in the second. Following Prosser's hit, Scott Thauwald fired a wrister from the top of the far circle that got though some traffic, but McElhinney was able to spy the puck and made the stop. 13:00 left in the 2nd.
                              - Chad Rau hits the post! Rau took a pass from Hillen at the blue line, and had some room along the near boards. Rau then circled behind the '03 Tiger net, worked his way to the slot, fired a wrister that beat McElhinney, but rings off the crossbar. It's all '08 CC right now though. 11:30 left in the 2nd.
                              - Brett Sterling Scores!! What a play! '08 CC was dominating possession in the offensive zone, when Sterling, already tired from a long shift, manages to intercept a cross-ice pass at the top of the circles. Sterling then manages to outskate both '08 CC defenders to have a clean break on Bachmann. Then Sterling uses his tremendous stick skills to deke Bachmann, going forehand, to backhand, back to his forehand, and rifling a wrister into the top shelf of the net. '03 CC now has a 3-0 lead with 10:24 left in the 2nd period.
                              - Despite the goal, momentum is still with the '08 Tigers as they have regrouped and are once again dominating possession in the '03 Tiger's zone. 8:00 left in the 2nd.
                              - The '08 Tigers will head back to the powerplay after Richard Petiot gets whistled for Roughing. 6:56 left in the 2nd. 3-0 '03 CC.
                              - Once again, the '08 Tigers' powerplay is for naught. '08 CC managed two shots from the point, both of which McElhinney tracked the whole way and easily stopped. 4:30 left in the 2nd.
                              - The '08 Tigers are really playing well at the moment, but can't get any good scoring chances. Another long wrister from the top of the circles finds McElhinney's glove with Just under 2:00 left to play in the 2nd. Still 3-0 '03 Tigers.
                              - Well, the '08 Tigers will head back to the powerplay, as Joe Cullen gets called for Tripping Chad Rau behind the '03 Tiger net. Just 49 seconds remain in the second and the '08 Tigers need a goal badly.
                              - '08 CC gets a couple more chances, but McElhinney was on top of them as the 2nd period ends. The '03 CC Tigers lead 3-0, but the '08 Tigers will have 1:11 left of powerplay time to start the third.
                              - Shots on goal in the 2nd: '08 Tigers - 14, '03 Tigers - 8

3rd Period:
                              - Puck has dropped for the third, and the '08 Tigers still have a little over a minute of powerplay time.
                              Chad Rau Scores!! CC wins an offensive zone draw, and Billy Sweatt works the puck down into the near corner. Sweatt then finds a streaking Rau at the far post and sends a beautiful saucer pass cross ice and right on Rau's stick, who flips the puck into the back of the net, and the '08 Tigers are finally on the board, now down 3-1 just 31 seconds into the third period.
                              - The '08 Tigers are buzzing now, completely dominating possession, but McElhinney has been up to the task when called upon. 17:30 left in the 3rd.
                              - It's all '08 CC at the moment. Rau nearly put his second goal in the back of the net a moment ago, as Rau launched a knucklepuck from about 50 feet that fooled McElhinney, but went just wide. 15:30 left in the 3rd.
                              - Jimmy Kilpatrick Scores!! Chad Rau wins an offensive zone draw back to Jack Hillen. Hillen then skates the puck to the point, and fakes a slapshot, then fires a pass over to Kilpatrick along the near boards. Kilpatrick then works his way to the slot and fires a wrist shot that may have deflected off an '03 CC defender in front. Either way, the puck was behind McElhinney and in the back of the net, and the '08 Tigers are now within 1. '03 CC leads just 3-2 with 14:01 left in the 3rd.
                              - Unbelievable how this game has turned in '08 CC's favor. Seemingly down and out after Sterling's goal midway through the second, the '08 Tigers have absolutely dominated the '03 Tigers since. The '08 Tigers still need another goal to knot this game up though. 12:00 left in the 3rd.
                              - Uh oh! The '08 Tigers will head back to the powerplay with a chance to knot this up at 3 after Richard Petiot gets called for Tripping Eric Walsky behind the '03 Tiger net. 10:50 left in the 3rd.
                              - The '03 Tigers dodged a bullet there, as they were able to kill the penalty. We're back to 5x5, but the momentum is still with the '08 Tigers. Just over 8:00 left in the 3rd.
                              - Rau gets robbed! Jack Hillen fired a slapshot from the top of the near circle, that McElhinney gets a piece of. Rau is there on the rebound, but his attempt at slamming home the puck is met with McElhinney's pad save. Tremendous stop to keep the '03 Tigers in the lead. 7:00 left in the 3rd.
                              - Peter Sejna Scores!! Sejna may have just put this game away. It was all '08 Tigers, when Noah Clarke cleared the puck out of the '03 Tiger zone. The puck landed on Sejna's stick in the neutral zone, and Sejna brought the puck in the offensive zone, used the CC defender as a screen, and fired a wrist shot over Bachmann's shoulder to put the '03 Tigers back up by two. 4-2 '03 CC with 5:59 left in the 3rd.
                              - The '08 Tigers may have one last gasp in them, as Reid Goolsby takes a stupid slashing penalty with just 2:24 left in the 3rd. '03 Owens calls his timeout, and '08 Owens pulls his goalie.
                              - Colin Stuart Scores!! Chad Rau nearly pulls the '08 Tigers within one, but his shot sails wide and rings around the near boards to Colin Stuart. Stuart wastes no time and fires the puck down the length of the ice and into the net. '03 CC now up 5-2 with just 50 seconds left.
                              - And the final buzzer sounds here in the Springs, as the '03 Tigers down the '08 Tigers 5-2.
                              - Final Shots on Goal: '03 CC - 26, '08 CC - 30.
                              Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 06-01-2013, 10:42 AM.
                              North Dakota

Comment

#59 - 1987-1988 Maine Black Bears vs. #70 - 1963-1964 Michigan Wolverines
                                May 31, 2013
                                Maverick Center, West Valley, UT

Game Update Post

The Black Bear and Wolverine fans are entering the site of the 2002 Olympics (then called the E Center), and they are all getting psyched up for this matchup between heavyweights. The winner will advance to take on the 2008-2009 BU Terriers, ranked #6 in this tournament, in the 2nd round in the West Regional. I just spoke with Maine Assistant Coach Bruce Crowder, who let me know that Scott King will get the nod in nets today. I also spoke with Michigan boss Al Renfrew, who stated that Bob Gray will start between the pipes. Puck drop is set for about Noon (eastern), so buckle up and get ready for a classic!

Warmups are over and the tension on the ice and in the stands is palpable. Maine will be sporting their classic script White, while Michigan is wearing their traditional away Blue.

Introductions have finished, and coming out for the national anthem today is...BILL MEDLEY!!

An outstanding performance here in Utah. Some might say that just listening to that rendition was the time of their life. Beautiful.

Puck Drop is next!

1st Period:
                                - The WCHA ref drops the puck, and Maine's Mario Thyer wins the draw and we're underway from Utah!
                                - It's all Maine early on, as Mike Golden has a great chance early that Gray stops. Golden gets the puck along the near board, skates to the slot and fires a wrister that Gray gloves down. Just over 19:00 left in the 1st.
                                - Dave Capuano Scores!! - Mario Thyer wins an offensive zone draw, and Capuano gets to the puck, and fires what looked like an innocent wrister from the point. Unfortunately for Michigan, Gray is completely screened, and Capuano's wrister sneaks in just below Gray's blocker. Maine up 1-0 with just under 19:00 left in the 1st.
                                - Bob Beers with a great hit at center ice on Gary Butler that sends the Wolverine sprawling across the ice. Maine dominating early. 17:30 left in the 1st.
                                - Michigan now starting to get into this one after Jack Cole makes a tremendous play. Cole gets the puck in the neutral zone and uses his speed to get past the Maine d-man at the blueline. Cole then tries to skate to the slot, and fires a wrist shot from about 20 feet that King makes a great save on to keep the Black Bears up 1-0. 16:00 left in the 1st.
                                - Gordon Wilkie Scores!! Gary Butler fed a pass to Jack Cole at center ice, and Cole takes it into the zone along the near boards. Cole then cycles the puck behind the net, and finds Wilkie streaking into the slot. Cole wires a beautiful saucer pass to Wilkie, who then rips a wrist shot over King's glove to tie this one at 1. 14:06 left in the 1st, and both sides are playing well early on here.
                                - We keep going back and forth here, a real horserace early on in the first. Neither side generating any great chances, but it appears to be only a matter of time. 12:00 left in the 1st.
                                - Gary Butler Scores!! We were going back and forth with neither side really getting much going until Butler fired a laser that beat King over the blocker. That gives the Wolverines a 2-1 lead with 9:33 left in the 1st period.
                                - Maine starting to assert their force once again, but unable to find the back of the net just yet. Guy Perron nearly snuck a wrap-around attempt in, but Gray got over just in time to keep Michigan up 2-1. 7:00 left in the 1st.
                                - Mike Golden Scores!! Jack Capuano comes into the offensize zone along the far boards, and finds Christian LaLonde cross ice at the point. LaLonde then rips a slapper that Gray gets a pad on, but Golden gets the rebound and flips it over the sprawling Wolverine netminder to tie this game at 2. 5:51 left in the 1st.
                                - Following some racehorse hockey, each side is content to try to battle it out in the neutral zone right now. 4:00 left in the 1st.
                                - Now the Wolverines will head to the powerplay. Following an extended stretch in the neutral zone, Vince Guidotti gets called for slashing. Coach Walsh is quite upset over the call, but Michigan will have a 2 minute powerplay at the end of the 1st here. 1:43 left in the 1st. 2-2 game.
                                - Gary Butler with a tremendous chance. The Black Bears are unable to clear the zone, and Butler gets a feed along the near boards in the corner, cycles it behind the net, and wraps around to the slot. Butler fires a wrist shot through a couple of bodies in front of King. The puck gets through, King doesn't see it, but it hits his leg pad and bounces out to a Maine defender who then clears the zone to end the first period. A great chance by Michigan with just seconds remaining, but it stays 2-2 after the first.
                                - Shots on Goal in the 1st: Michigan - 10, Maine - 9

2nd Period:
                                - Finally...the puck has dropped for the second period. Michigan still has 17 seconds left of powerplay.
                                - Vince Guidotti Scores!! Seconds after getting out of the penalty box, Guidotti receives a beautiful pass from Bob Beers, and comes in all alone on Gray. Guidotti rifles a wrister that beats Gray over the blocker, and the Black Bears take a 3-2 lead early here in the 2nd.
                                - Maine is all over Michigan at the moment. Guidotti's goal has the Black Bear faithful in Utah going crazy, and the team has responded by flying up and down the ice and has been cycling the puck tremendously well since the goal. No great chances yet though. 18:00 left in the 2nd.
                                - Dave Capuano with a tremendous chance! Maine cycling the puck well, and Mike Golden puts the puck back behind the Michigan net. Capuano gets the puck, comes around the far side, gives himself a little room, and nearly roofs it over Gray. Unfortunately for the Black Bears, the Michigan netminder read the shot, and snagged it with his glove to keep this game 3-2. 16:00 left in the 2nd.
                                - Maine still putting some good pressure on, but unable to mount any great chances. Beers had a long wrister from the point that Gray easily stopped. 14:30 left in the 2nd. 3-2 Maine.
                                - Now Maine will head to the powerplay, as Barry MacDonald gets called for boarding, after leveling Dave Nonis into the far boards. 12:24 left in the 2nd.
                                - David Wensley Scores!! As Maine's powerplay was winding down, Dave Capuano is able to bring the puck into the offensive zone. Then, Capuano finds Wensley at the top of the far circle and wires a cross-ice pass to Wensley's stick. Wensley then works his way to the slot, and lets go a mean slapper that gets passed the screened Gray and into the net. Maine now up 4-2 with 10:38 left in the 2nd.
                                - The Wolverines have apparently awoken following that goal by Wensley. Michigan taking it to Maine right now, but the Black Bears doing a tremendous job of keeping Michigan from any substantial scoring chances at the moment. 9:00 left in the 2nd.
                                - Wilkie nearly gets his second of the game! Jack Cole dumps the puck into the Maine zone, and then beats Beers to the puck. Cole then fires a pass behind the net to Wilkie who carries the puck out to the bottom of the near circle. Wilkie lets a wrister fly that King gets a piece of, but the puck trickles behind him. Just as the puck was about to cross the goal line, Beers dives to prevent the sure goal. 7:00 left in the 2nd. All Michigan at the moment.
                                - King robs Butler! Wolverine blueliner Roger Galipeau rips a slapper from the blueline that King gets a pad on, but the rebound kicks out to Butler who tries to fire a wrist shot home. King stretches as far as he can to get his glove over, and manages to snag the puck. Tremendous stop from King to keep Maine up 4-2. 5:00 left in the 2nd.
                                - On the following draw, Michigan wins the faceoff, and Maine's Bob Beers gets called for tripping Tom Polonic, who was trying to get in front of the net. Michigan to the man advantage with 4:51 left in the 2nd.
                                - Wilf Martin Scores!! Michigan dominated the powerplay and were making tremendous passes all over the offensive zone. One of those passes from Gary Butler found Wilf Martin all alone in the slot, and Martin fires a wrist shot over King's blocker, and Michigan is back within 1. It's 4-3 Maine with 2:59 left in the 2nd.
                                - Plenty of neutral zone play following the Michigan powerplay goal. Neither side getting too aggressive here as the second period winds down. Just over 1:00 left to play in the 2nd as Maine still holds a 4-3 advantage.
                                - And the 2nd period horn sounds, and Maine will take a 4-3 lead heading into the third period.
                                - Shots on goal in the 2nd: Maine - 10, Michigan - 9

3rd Period:
                                - The third is underway here in Utah, as Maine leads 4-3 over Michigan.
                                - Maine doing a tremendous job of working the clock down right now, as Michigan has not been able to get the puck in the Black Bear zone. 17:00 left in the 3rd.
                                - Michigan finally gets possession of the puck in the Maine zone for the first time in the third...nearly 5 minutes into period. 15:30 left in the 3rd...still 4-3 Maine.
                                - We're back to the neutral zone, as Maine has locked down their offensive zone. Michigan fighting hard, but at the moment, Maine appears trying to win this 4-3. 13:00 left in the 3rd.
                                - Bob Ferguson Scores!! The game was still clogged in the neutral zone when Alex Hood flipped the puck into the Maine zone from just inside the center line. Jim Burke then lost an edge trying to get to the puck, allowing Ferguson to gain possession all by himself. Ferguson walks in on King, and his wrister flies through the five hole of King, and we're knotted up at 4. 10:18 to play in the 3rd.
                                Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 06-01-2013, 10:24 AM.
                                North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                                X