Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Top 100 Greatest Teams of the NCAA era Tournament

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    This could very well be true, but I was more speaking just about why the last decade did so poorly in relation to the amount of teams that I ranked from the decade.
    Didn't you say that a likely reason for that "discrepancy" would be that you ranked teams in the past decade that you ordinarily wouldn't have been ranking at all had the tournament not expanded to 16 teams? I'm getting a little confused, and this is totally secondary to the tournament anyway.

BTW, I've been trying to restrain myself....where did 1954 National Champion Rensselaer team rank? Did they rank ahead of or behind the teams they beat to win that year?
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      Did the Colorado College Rule team get ranked? 1993-94 Tigers
      You know, I thought I did, but I didn't see them when going through the rankings...

I was just listing those prior to 1981. There could be others since 1981...the '93-94 CC squad a great example.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        Didn't you say that a likely reason for that "discrepancy" would be that you ranked teams in the past decade that you ordinarily wouldn't have been ranking at all had the tournament not expanded to 16 teams? I'm getting a little confused, and this is totally secondary to the tournament anyway.
        Probably a good idea to table the discussion, or move it to the Greatest Teams thread...

Originally posted by FreshFish
        BTW, I've been trying to restrain myself....where did 1954 National Champion Rensselaer team rank? Did they rank ahead of or behind the teams they beat to win that year?
        They ranked #173. Minnesota was a top 100 team (#97), but they were well ahead of Michigan and lightyears ahead of BC.
        North Dakota

Comment

You know, I thought I did, but I didn't see them when going through the rankings...

I was just listing those prior to 1981. There could be others since 1981...the '93-94 CC squad a great example.
          I only asked because you would assume a team that didn't make the tournament and had a rule created in their name should be a "great" team that lost the wrong game...
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Probably a good idea to table the discussion, or move it to the Greatest Teams thread...

They ranked #173. Minnesota was a top 100 team (#97), but they were well ahead of Michigan and lightyears ahead of BC.
            It would be interesting to know how that year's Saint Lawrence team would have ranked. I'm not at all sure of the details, apparently it was controversial in some circles at least that Rensselaer went to Colorado Springs instead of St. Lawrence that year in the first place.

I love the story about Ned Harkness bringing a tank to the game and telling the players it was oxygen (they had a thin bench that year and Colorado Springs is at altitude).

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              I only asked because you would assume a team that didn't make the tournament and had a rule created in their name should be a "great" team that lost the wrong game...
              Understandable. Originally, I ranked only teams that were "nominated" by people on here. I then also ranked all the National Champions. Eventually, I decided to rank all the Frozen Four teams...then all the NCAA Tournament Teams. As you can imagine, most of the nominated teams were NCAA Tournament teams.
              North Dakota

Comment

It would be interesting to know how that year's Saint Lawrence team would have ranked. I'm not at all sure of the details, apparently it was controversial in some circles at least that Rensselaer went to Colorado Springs instead of St. Lawrence that year in the first place.

I love the story about Ned Harkness bringing a tank to the game and telling the players it was oxygen (they had a thin bench that year and Colorado Springs is at altitude).
                I'll run SLU from that year as well.

However, at this point in time, I'll ask that any request for me to run future teams be done in the Greatest Teams thread (link below)...

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...f-the-NCAA-Era

That thread is probably best equipped to discuss this line that we've been on lately. I'll post the results from the teams that I'm running in that thread.
                North Dakota

Comment

That thread is probably best equipped to discuss this line that we've been on lately.
                  Perhaps so, no problem...at the same time, it also feels like we are sitting in the stands, hanging out between games, discussing this and that while we wait for the next game to start....we are at a tournament after all, and discussing who's in, what their prospects are, who isn't here and what's up with them anyway, that kind of stuff...

I don't mind if this thread has multiple iterations if you don't.

oh, and to get back on point regarding the tournament....speaking hypothetically (for now at least), what happens if one of these supplemental teams you run actually scores high enough to crack the top 100?

Comment

This is a fabulous thread, even though my team (SLU) didn't make it to the tournament. Keep up the great work and thanks, Fighting Sioux 23.
                    Last edited by Muskieman; 03-08-2013, 05:29 PM.
                    GO SAINTS.

Comment

Perhaps so, no problem...at the same time, it also feels like we are sitting in the stands, hanging out between games, discussing this and that while we wait for the next game to start....we are at a tournament after all, and discussing who's in, what their prospects are, who isn't here and what's up with them anyway, that kind of stuff...

I don't mind if this thread has multiple iterations if you don't.

oh, and to get back on point regarding the tournament....speaking hypothetically (for now at least), what happens if one of these supplemental teams you run actually scores high enough to crack the top 100?
                      I suppose we could have several versions of this thread. I really don't mind either way.

As for what to do with the tournament if a new team cracks the top 100? I don't know. Maybe have an NIT Tournament for those teams along with some select others that get us to 32 or 64 teams? In theory, there should be at least 1 team from this season that will be a top 100 team, and it wouldn't be out of the norm for as many as 3-4 make it.

I'm open for suggestions, but this tournament has already started. If you (or anyone else) have some other ideas, let 'em fly!
                      North Dakota

Comment

Due to the Blizzard (and my fluctuating internet signal) the '03-04 Maine vs. '78-79 Bowling Green has been postponed until tomorrow.
                        North Dakota

Comment

Game Day!!

The matchup we've all been waiting for will be played today! The 2003-2004 Maine squad (#61) will square off against the 1978-1979 Bowling Green squad (#68) this afternoon at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, MO. Puck drop scheduled for 1:35pm Central (2:35pm Eastern).
                          North Dakota

Comment

#61 - 2003-2004 Maine Black Bears vs. #68 - 1978-1979 Bowling Green Falcons
                            March 10, 2013
                            Scottrade Center, St. Louis, MO

Game Update Post but feel free to chime in

Starting Goalies:
                            Maine - Jimmy Howard
                            Bowling Green - Wally Charko

The players just finished up with warmups, and both teams are eager to skate out of the Gateway to the West with a win. Coach Mason and Coach Whitehead were both in good spirits about their chances, and the fans in the stands are electric. Looking forward to this one...

The teams are back out for introductions. Maine is wearing their script whites, while Bowling Green is wearing an odd brown color.

National Anthem coming up next...

Singing today's National Anthem...hit artist, Eamon!

**** it, that was beautiful.

Coach Mason and his Assistant Coach Shawn Walsh are getting the Falcons fired up on the bench right now. Puck set to drop shortly.

1st Period:
                            - Puck has dropped, and the game is underway!
                            - George McPhee with a nice chance. McPhee picks the puck up at neutral ice, comes in along the far boards, then fires a wrister from the circle, but Howard is up to the task. 19:00 left in the 1st.
                            - Bowling Green has come out on fire. Unfortunately for the Falcons, so has Howard. This time, Mark Wells feeds the puck to John Markell in the slot, and Markell's shot was marked for the top corner, but Howard gets the blocker up in time. 18:00 left in the 1st.
                            - Ken Morrow with a good chance. Bowling Green cycling the puck well, and Morrow gets the puck back out at the point, and he fires a slapper that goes just wide of the net. 17:00 left in the 1st.
                            - And the Falcons will go to the Powerplay. Bowling Green again holding the puck in the offensive zone, and Prestin Ryan slashes Tom Newton's stick out of his hands, and Ryan gets called for the penalty. 15:33 left in the 1st.
                            - George McPhee Scores!! Mark Wells wins an offensive zone draw back to Ken Morrow. Morrow lets a slapper fly, and the puck deflects right to McPhee at the near post. McPhee taps the puck in the net and it is 1-0 Bowling Green. 14:41 left in the 1st
                            - Maine finally getting some pressure going after that goal. Colin Shields created a nice chance with a toe drag at the near circle to get around the defender, but his shot sails high. 13:00 left in the 1st.
                            - A lot of back and forth in the neutral zone right now...11:00 left in the 1st.
                            - Paul Titanic Scores!! Bowling Green dumps the puck in the Maine zone, and the Black Bears attempt to clear, but Yves Pelland keeps the puck in the zone, and he flips it over to Titanic who comes in through the slot and roofs a backhander to give the Falcons a 2-0 lead. 10:38 left in the 1st.
                            - Maine calls a timeout. Momentum all with the Falcons right now.
                            - Jimmy Howard with a spectacular save! McPhee steals the puck from Ryan in the neutral zone, and comes in on a clear break, but Howard flashes his glove on McPhee's snapshot from about 15' out. Big save to keep this one a 2-0 game. 8:00 left in the 1st.
                            - Dustin Penner lays out John Markell in the neutral zone. That was an absolutely crushing hit, and has fired up the Maine bunch. 6:30 left in the 1st.
                            - Maine will head to the powerplay after Mike Hamilton gets tripped up in the neutral zone by Brian MacLellan. 5:05 left in the 1st. 2-0 Falcons
                            - Colin Shields Scores!! Shields gets a beautiful cross-ice feed from Michel Leveille and buries it top shelf to put Maine on the board. 2-1 Bowling Green. 4:19 left in the 1st
                            - More back and forth in the neutral zone, but Maine definitely has more confidence right now. 2:00 left in the 1st.
                            - Oh my! Maine gets called for Interference on a play where it looked like the Maine player was interfered with! Coach Whitehead is steaming. Falcons to go to the powerplay, and Jeff Mushaluk is the Black Bear that goes to the box. Just 24 seconds left in the 1st.
                            - That's the end of the 1st. Bowling Green will have 1:36 left of Powerplay to start the 2nd. 2-1 Falcons after 1.
                            - Shots on Goal: Bowling Green - 11, Maine - 7

2nd Period:
                            - Puck has dropped to start the 2nd. Bowling Green with the Man Advantage for the first 1:36 of the 2nd.
                            - Maine kills the penalty. Bowling Green did not get a shot on goal during the powerplay. 2-1 Falcons with 18:00 left in the 2nd.
                            - A lot of play in the neutral zone again. Dump and chase seems to be the theme right now. 15:00 left in the 2nd.
                            - Todd Jackson Scores!! Prestin Ryan dumps the puck into the Bowling Green zone, and Jackson wins the battle to the puck behind the net, walks out in front, and roofs it over Charko. Tie Game with 13:36 left in the 2nd.
                            - The intensity in this one heated up quite a bit after that last goal. Apparently Bowling Green was not too thrilled with Jackson's celebration. A lot of neutral zone play again, and we're nearing the midway point of this one. 11:30 left in the 2nd.
                            - Howard with another great save! McPhee gets a feed from Morrow, and beats Ryan along the near boards, skates into the near circle, and lets fly a wrister destined for the back of the net...that is until Howard flashed his glove and made the stop. After the play, Dustin Penner and Mike Cotter exchanged words and facewashes, and they each get 2 minutes for roughing, so we'll skate 4x4 for a bit. 10:57 left in the 2nd.
                            - Wally Charko with a highlight reel save! Colin Shields comes in on a 2x1 with Leveille. Shields sends the puck over to Leveille as they enter the attacking zone. Leveille then walks the defender, and dishes the puck back to Shields for what appeared to be a tap in, but Charko sprawls over and appeared to make the save with the back of his head. What a stop. 10:00 left in the 2nd.
                            - Ben Murphy with a nice chance, but his slapper from the far circle whistles over net. 4x4 is over, and we're back to even strength play. 8:00 left in the 2nd.
                            - Maine pouring on the pressure right now, and Morrow is forced to ice the puck. 7:00 left in the 2nd. 2-2 game.
                            - John Ronan gets hauled down by Bruce Newton, and the Black Bears will head back to the powerplay. 6:08 left in the 2nd.
                            - Derek Damon Scores!! Bowling Green tries to clear the puck on the pk, but Matt Lundin manages to keep the puck in play and finds Damon at the near circle who fires a one-timer past Charko to give Maine their first lead of the game. 3-2 Black Bears with 4:41 remaining in the 2nd.
                            - Steve Dawe hits the post!! Bowling Green gets a strong shift out of their third line, and Dawe keeps the momentum going with some great play along the boards deep in the Maine zone. Dawe feeds the puck out to the point back to Cotter who tries to feed the puck cross ice, but it hits a skate and deflects back to Dawe who wrists one from just inside the circle and it beats Howard, but hits the crossbar. Still 3-2 Maine with 2:30 left in the 2nd.
                            - Maine heading back to the powerplay. This time, Shields wins a battle below the net, and dishes the puck out to Leveille, but before the puck reaches Leveille, he's leveled by John Markell, and Markell gets called for interference. 1:43 left in the 2nd, and Maine will try to extend their 3-2 lead.
                            - Bowling Green does a good job, and gets to the end of the 2nd without allowing a Maine shot on goal during that last powerplay. Maine will still have 17 seconds left to start the third.
                            - After 2 periods, Maine has a 3-2 advantage
                            - Shots on goal in the 2nd: Maine - 12, Bowling Green - 10

3rd Period:
                            - Puck has dropped for the third period, and Maine has a short powerplay to start the third.
                            - Markell gets out of the box, and we're back to 5x5 play.
                            - Bowling Green will head to the powerplay, as Yves Pelland gets hauled down in the neutral zone. Tom Zabkowicz will sit for 2 minutes and feel shame for the holding penalty. 18:41 left in the 3rd.
                            - MacLellan with a glorious opportunity, but Howard is up to the task. MacLellan gets the puck behind the net, and his feed out to the point gets deflected right back to him. He tries a wraparound, but Howard gets the pad over, and MacLellan gets a rebound chance, but fires it wide. About 1:00 left in the powerplay.
                            - George McPhee Scores!! Bowling Green wins an offensive zone draw back to Ken Morrow who blasts a slapper that Howard saves, but Howard leaves a juicy rebound, and McPhee picks the puck up and rips the puck over Howard's blocker, and it's a 3-3 game!
                            - Bowling Green all over Maine right now. The Falcons have come out flying in the third. 15:30 left in the 3rd.
                            - Ken Morrow Scores!! Morrow absolutely blisters one from the point that beats Howard glove side, and nearly rips through the net. What a shot!! Bowling Green now up 4-3 with 13:17 left in the 3rd
                            - Bowling Green doing a good job of employing the trap right now, and Maine cannot get the puck inside the Bowling Green zone. 11:30 left in the 3rd.
                            - A lot of play in the neutral zone, and neither team is mounting much of anything at this point. 8:00 left in the 3rd.
                            - Maine starting to put some pressure on, but Charko is keeping the Falcons in the lead. 6:00 left in the 3rd.
                            - Shields with a great chance, but Charko makes the stop. Leveille gets the puck on his stick behind the net, and finds Shields in the slot and makes the feed. Shields rips a one-timer, but Charko gets the blocker up. 5:00 left in the 3rd.
                            - Black Bears will head to the powerplay! Dustin Penner gets hauled down by Paul Titanic, and Titanic gets called for interference. Just 4:34 left in the 3rd, and Maine is down by a goal.
                            - Shields has his stick slashed out of his hands and Maine will go on a 5x3! John Gibb takes the penalty, and the Falcons will skate down 2 men for 53 seconds. 3:27 left in the 3rd.
                            - Coach Mason takes his timeout.
                            Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 03-10-2013, 04:03 PM.
                            North Dakota

Comment

#61 - 2003-2004 Maine Black Bears vs. #68 - 1978-1979 Bowling Green Falcons
                              March 10, 2013
                              Scottrade Center, St. Louis, MO

Game Update Post but feel free to chime in

3rd Period:
                              - Puck has dropped for the third period, and Maine has a short powerplay to start the third.
                              - Markell gets out of the box, and we're back to 5x5 play.
                              - Bowling Green will head to the powerplay, as Yves Pelland gets hauled down in the neutral zone. Tom Zabkowicz will sit for 2 minutes and feel shame for the holding penalty. 18:41 left in the 3rd.
                              - MacLellan with a glorious opportunity, but Howard is up to the task. MacLellan gets the puck behind the net, and his feed out to the point gets deflected right back to him. He tries a wraparound, but Howard gets the pad over, and MacLellan gets a rebound chance, but fires it wide. About 1:00 left in the powerplay.
                              - George McPhee Scores!! Bowling Green wins an offensive zone draw back to Ken Morrow who blasts a slapper that Howard saves, but Howard leaves a juicy rebound, and McPhee picks the puck up and rips the puck over Howard's blocker, and it's a 3-3 game!
                              - Bowling Green all over Maine right now. The Falcons have come out flying in the third. 15:30 left in the 3rd.
                              - Ken Morrow Scores!! Morrow absolutely blisters one from the point that beats Howard glove side, and nearly rips through the net. What a shot!! Bowling Green now up 4-3 with 13:17 left in the 3rd
                              - Bowling Green doing a good job of employing the trap right now, and Maine cannot get the puck inside the Bowling Green zone. 11:30 left in the 3rd.
                              - A lot of play in the neutral zone, and neither team is mounting much of anything at this point. 8:00 left in the 3rd.
                              - Maine starting to put some pressure on, but Charko is keeping the Falcons in the lead. 6:00 left in the 3rd.
                              - Shields with a great chance, but Charko makes the stop. Leveille gets the puck on his stick behind the net, and finds Shields in the slot and makes the feed. Shields rips a one-timer, but Charko gets the blocker up. 5:00 left in the 3rd.
                              - Black Bears will head to the powerplay! Dustin Penner gets hauled down by Paul Titanic, and Titanic gets called for interference. Just 4:34 left in the 3rd, and Maine is down by a goal.
                              - Shields has his stick slashed out of his hands and Maine will go on a 5x3! John Gibb takes the penalty, and the Falcons will skate down 2 men for 53 seconds. 3:27 left in the 3rd.
                              - Coach Mason takes his timeout.
                              - Dustin Penner with a great chance! Penner gets a circle to circle feed from Jackson, and rips a one-timer, but Charko gets over just in time to steer the puck out of play. Titanic out of the box for Bowling Green, but Maine still has a short 5x4 with just 2:30 left in the 3rd.
                              - Greg Moore Scores!! With just a few seconds left on the powerplay, Bowling Green tries to clear the zone, but Ryan makes a diving play to keep the puck in the zone. Ryan then finds Moore at the point, and Moore skates it down to the slot and fires a wrister that beats Charko glove side to tie the game at 4! 1:41 left in the 3rd
                              - Bowling Green stunned, and Maine nearly capitalizes, as Shields comes in on a 1x2, dumps the puck in, wins the race behind the net, walks out in front, but fires it right into Charko with just seconds left in regulation.
                              - That's the end of 3, and we're tied at 4!
                              - Shots on Goal in the 3rd: Bowling Green - 13, Maine - 8

Overtime:
                              - Puck has dropped for Overtime!
                              - What a save by Jimmy Howard! Ken Morrow lets a slapper fly, but Howard gets the blocker on it. The rebound goes right to Mark Wells, who fires a wrist shot from the far circle, and Howard makes a beautiful glove save to keep the Black Bears alive. 19:15 left in OT
                              - Dustin Penner Scores!! Bowling Green wins an offensive zone draw, but Cotter breaks his stick trying to get the puck to the net. Penner picks it up and races down the center of the ice beating Cotter into the offensive zone. Penner then brings the puck to his forehand, and rips a wrist shot past Charko. Maine wins it 5-4 in OT
                              - Shots on Goal in OT: Bowling Green - 2, Maine - 1
                              - Shots on Goal in Game: Bowling Green - 36, Maine - 28
                              - The Black Bears advance to take on the #4 1986-1987 North Dakota Fighting Sioux
                              Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 03-10-2013, 04:35 PM.
                              North Dakota

Comment

Pancakes for everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                X