Outdoor College Hockey Games??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor College Hockey Games??

The question was asked, "Should college continue outdoor game?" Absolutely yes! Should college hockey play an outdoor game on a Sunday at a neutral site ie Notre Dame/Miami, Minnesota/Wisconsin. heck no!

Maybe it worked out commercially and the networks made their money but it no way should they have played those games at a neutral site. Look at the games that have worked out commercially and also packed in the fans. Michigan vs Wisconsin, the Michigan Michigan St games. Ridiculous crowds and great atmosphere.

Future Outdoor Games that could do well in both categories

UND @ Minnesota
    Wisconsin @ Minnesota
    Minnesota @ Wisconsin
    Michigan @ Notre Dame
    Michigan @ Penn State
    Michigan @ Michigan St. This should be an annual game.

these games will bring in big money from crowds, tv, advertisements etc.

The Hockey City classic at soldier field may have been a success commercially for the networks, advertisements etc but for the players the atmosphere matters. Yeah I am sure it was amazing playing an outdoor game at soldier field but it would've been that much better in front of 80,000+ fans at Camp Randall for the players and fans or 80,000+ at Notre Dame Stadium with Michigan in town not Miami of Ohio.

Just my thoughts on if college hockey should continue outdoor games. They should but at venues that will draw the attendance and still please the investors.

Re: Outdoor College Hockey Games??

Originally posted by mav0035 View Post
    The Hockey City classic at soldier field may have been a success commercially for the networks, advertisements etc but for the players the atmosphere matters. Yeah I am sure it was amazing playing an outdoor game at soldier field but it would've been that much better in front of 80,000+ fans at Camp Randall for the players and fans or 80,000+ at Notre Dame Stadium with Michigan in town not Miami of Ohio.
    When Michigan played Wisconsin at Camp Randell, the atendance was around 55,000. For Minnesota, it probably would have been more. Just sayin'.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

Comment

Meh... I went to the first Fenway games. The best part was the novelty. Personally I would hope BU does not do an outdoor game more than once every 4 years or so.

Comment

I don't want MSU to do another one, especially with the current state of the program. Frankly I don't care if they ever have another outdoor game. To me, nothing has, nor do I think anything will, ever top the Cold War.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

As long as the Gophers don't play in another one I don't care.

Comment

UND @ Minnesota
            Wisconsin @ Minnesota
            Minnesota @ Wisconsin
            Michigan @ Notre Dame
            Michigan @ Penn State

So basically, if your program is not in or closely associated with the Big 10, mav0035 doesn't want you to have an outdoor game. Dang.

Comment

Originally posted by fellowes View Post
              So basically, if your program is not in or closely associated with the Big 10, mav0035 doesn't want you to have an outdoor game. Dang.
              Silence. When mav0035 speaks, we listen.

Comment

Originally posted by fellowes View Post
                I'd pay for a ticket to see DU and CC at Mile High or CC and Air Force at Falcon Stadium.

FWIW, Penn State acting AD Dave Joyner said at the team banquet last Saturday that there will be an outdoor game at Beaver Stadium sometime in the future. However, Bettman has said there's no plan for the NHL to hold the Winter Classic there.
                Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                  As long as the Gophers don't play in another one I don't care.
                  When Minnesota gets it's Winter Classic, I'd be ok with the Gophers playing an outdoor game in conjunction with it. You know the ice would be much better than it was at Soldier Field.
                  @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                  On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                  High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

I didnt mean for it to be just Big Ten teams or close ties to Big Ten. I was just rattling off a few games that could do well in both aspects.

BC vs BU would obviously be a great match-up. What I was trying to say in my first post is I dont think Outdoor games should go away. I didnt like the fact it was at a neutral site and on a Sunday. If it was on a Saturday and at a home teams football field the attendance would have made the experience much better.

Either way there should be one game a year outdoors. Great for the game and thats where we will started to skate, outdoors!!!!

Maybe throw in a Anchorage/Fairbanks match up on the Kenai River!

Comment

Maybe throw in a Anchorage/Fairbanks match up on the Kenai River![/QUOTE]

At the mouth of it to, that way the Indians can come!
                      Huskys all the way

Comment

Originally posted by Thecalkid View Post
                        Maybe throw in a Anchorage/Fairbanks match up on the Kenai River!
                        At the mouth of it to, that way the Indians can come![/QUOTE]

No, make them go away, or at least relegated to very, very infrequently. The novelty is gone, it's no longer special, the matchups are getting dull, the weather at many of these places is becoming unpredictable and hurting the integrity of the game played.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                          When Minnesota gets it's Winter Classic, I'd be ok with the Gophers playing an outdoor game in conjunction with it. You know the ice would be much better than it was at Soldier Field.
                          Maybe but why would that matter since it didn't affect the outcome of the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                            Maybe but why would that matter since it didn't affect the outcome of the game?

I don't like to use the quality of ice as an excuse because both teams had to play on the same ice and the Gophers certainly could have adapted better. But I think if you asked all four teams that played (winners and losers), they would say they would have liked a better quality ice surface. If for nothing else than less chance of a quirky injury occurring.

The NHL is anal about the ice for the Winter Classics. I think piggy backing off a Classic in Minnesota would be the way to go if we host a game in Minnesota.
                            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

The question was asked, "Should college continue outdoor game?" Absolutely yes! Should college hockey play an outdoor game on a Sunday at a neutral site ie Notre Dame/Miami, Minnesota/Wisconsin. heck no!

Maybe it worked out commercially and the networks made their money but it no way should they have played those games at a neutral site. Look at the games that have worked out commercially and also packed in the fans. Michigan vs Wisconsin, the Michigan Michigan St games. Ridiculous crowds and great atmosphere.

UND @ Minnesota
                              Wisconsin @ Minnesota
                              Minnesota @ Wisconsin
                              Michigan @ Notre Dame
                              Michigan @ Penn State

Just my thoughts on if college hockey should continue outdoor games. They should but at venues that will draw the attendance and still please the investors.
                              I like the idea of one or two outdoor games a year rotating through the regions. I like the suggestions of CC/Denver and CC/AF, almost anybody at Notre Dame or Penn State, and games at places like Yankee Stadium, Fenway and Soldier Field. Games at Ford Field or the Carrier Dome might also be very good for the sport. These are big venues with a roof.

Madison Square Garden has done great with Cornell vs BU and Michigan. I think outdoor games and games in unusual places now and then could do a lot to help the sport grow. I still think that the best thing for the image and reputation of the sport would be to have a Frozen Four in NYC. MSG doesn't seem to want it, so How about the Barclay Center in Brooklyn? The media attention that could be gained by having the Frozen Four on that big stage would be huge.

Comment

Working...
                              X