D3 Bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D3 Bracketology

To Avoid clogging up the NESCAC thread with this discussion...I figured I'd start a new thread. Here are the new rankings for this week.

REGION/RANK SCHOOL IN-REGION RECORD OVERALL RECORD

EAST
    1 Plattsburgh State 23-0-2 23-0-2
    2 Norwich 16-2-3 19-3-3
    3 Middlebury 16-5-2 16-6-2
    4 Bowdoin 14-4-2 18-4-2
    5 Elmira 20-4-1 20-4-1
    6 Trinity (Conn.) 15-5-3 15-6-3
    7 Amherst 12-10-1 12-10-1
    8 Manhattanville 12-7-0 16-8-1
    9 Connecticut College 13-9-1 13-10-1
    10 Hamilton 13-10-1 13-10-1

WEST
    1 Gustavus Adolphus 22-0-1 22-0-1
    2 Wisconsin-River Falls 18-5-2 18-5-2
    3 Adrian 16-5-1 19-5-1
    4 Lake Forest 13-5-4 15-5-4
    5 Wisconsin-Superior 16-7-2 16-7-2
    6 St. Norbert 13-7-2 14-9-2
    7 St. Thomas (Minn.) 12-7-2 12-7-2
    Last edited by gojackets; 02-19-2013, 09:12 PM.
    UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
    NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
    Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Re: D3 Bracketology

From NESCAC thread

Originally posted by dgrand View Post
    Noticed mention of C pool bids to NCAA III tourney on this thread. Can someone please explain how selection is done and what a C pool bid is etc?

Like brcketology for Womens Div III kinda thing for the ignorant like me.

Thank you in advance.

There are 3 pools. Pool A is the automatic qualifiers...these are the teams that win the conference championship game (5 spots)

Pool B--spot for teams that do not have an autobid...there are currently not enough pool B teams to warrant a spot.

Pool C--spot for teams that did not get the autobid, but still qualify. (3 spots)

If the current conference leaders win the conference tourney the Pool A's would go to:

River Falls
    Gustavus
    Plattsburgh
    Norwich
    Middlebury

Pool C's depend on the regional rankings. The latest rankings were released today. You have to compare each team, 1 team at a time.
    The top ranked non Pool A team in the east is Bowdoin...in the West it is Lake Forest

Bowdo
    Bowdoin vs Adrian
    WIN 0.7500 0 0.7500 0
    SOS 0.5573 1 0.4780 0
    H2H 0- 0- 0 0 0- 0- 0 0
    COP 0- 0- 0 0 0- 0- 0 0
    RNK 9-4-1 1 3-5 0
    === PTS 2 0

Bowdoin Gets in overAdrian

Adrian vs Elmira

WIN 0.7500 0 0.8200 1
    SOS 0.4780 0 0.5215 1
    H2H 0- 0- 0 0 0- 0- 0 0
    COP 0- 0- 0 0 0- 0- 0 0
    RNK 0- 0- 0 0 0- 0- 0 0

Adrian 0 Elmira 2
    Elmira gets in over Adrian

Adrian vs Trinity
    WIN 0.7500 1 0.6522 0
    SOS 0.4780 0 0.4994 1
    H2H 0- 0- 0 0 0- 0- 0 0
    COP 0- 0- 0 0 0- 0- 0 0
    RNK 3-5-0 0 6-2-2 1
    ==== PTS 1 2

Trinity in over Adrian

So if it ended today your teams would be
    River Falls
    Gustavus
    Trinity
    Plattsburgh
    Middlebury
    Norwich
    Bowdoin
    Elmira

Of course that all depends on the favorites winning out. I'm surprised Adrian moved over Lake Forest this week. Lake Forest wins the comparison over Trinity. Things will change as the playoffs ensue as well. Gustavus and Plattsburgh are guaranteed a spot, even if they lose in their title games.

Right now I believe River Falls wins Comparision over Elmira 2-1, and Trinity 2-1....so the east better hope that River Falls wins the NCHA
    UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Originally posted by dgrand View Post
      Thank you Jackets!

Next Question, now that I understand how they determine who gets in, what would the first round match-ups be?

I assume the highest seeds host the games.
      If it is the 8 teams listed and they went strictly by seeding

River Falls @ Gustavus
      Trinity @ Plattsburgh
      Elmira @ Norwich
      Bowdoin @ Middlebury

They do not have a guideline to avoid interconference matchups in place, but they generally avoid it....So they would probably send Bowdoin to Norwich and Elmira to Middlebury....if these were the matchups

If Lake Forest were to finish 2nd in the NCHA they probably get in over Trinity which would go
      River Falls @ Gustavus
      Lake Forest @ Plattsburgh
      Elmira @ Middlebury
      Bowdoin @ Norwich

If a third western team gets in other than Lake Forest, they probably get flown to Plattsburgh as well.
      UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

The trouble the NESCAC will have is that two of Middlebury, Amherst, Trinity, or Bowdoin will lose in the Semi-finals. If that is Amherst and Trinity that could knock them below Manhattanville in the rankings if Manhattanville makes the ECAC-E finals...knocking Trinity and Amherst out of contention. And Manhattanville currently doesn't fair well in the comparison.

I would wager that the NCAA will want 3 west teams in to give there a chance of being a 2-2 split in the final four in Superior and potentially bringing more fans in. But I can't imagine even if Lake Forest or Adrian were in there that they would bring that many fans. I think Gustavus and River Falls would bring a crowd...but they will most likely get put against eachother in the quarters.
        UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Still Trying to Move Discussion over Here and out of NESCAC thread !

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
          Then all they did was fly Gustavus to Rochester: total of 2 trips. I would love to see it another way and it would be nice if the west had 4 teams, I just do not see it happening this year.
          I don't see 4 teams any year unless the new WIAC gets up to 7 teams or you get enough independents + WIAC to garner a Pool B slot again. I don't really see the WIAC expanding at any point in the near future. (Are stevenson, Franklin Pierce and U of NE joining conferences next year??)

The only WIAC school that has mens hockey that doesn't have women's is Stout. I can't picture Whitewater, Platteville, La Crosse, Parkside, or Osh Kosh suddenly getting the urge to add women's hockey.
          UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
            I don't see 4 teams any year unless the new WIAC gets up to 7 teams or you get enough independents + WIAC to garner a Pool B slot again. I don't really see the WIAC expanding at any point in the near future. (Are stevenson, Franklin Pierce and U of NE joining conferences next year??)

The only WIAC school that has mens hockey that doesn't have women's is Stout. I can't picture Whitewater, Platteville, La Crosse, Parkside, or Osh Kosh suddenly getting the urge to add women's hockey.
            Both Franklin Pierce and UNE got rejected by vote from the ECAC East and as a result I believe Franklin Pierce actually then went ahead and made the team DII. As for Stevenson I am unsure but I think they too get denied from the ECAC West (although I could stand to be corrected).

Comment

To Avoid clogging up the NESCAC thread with this discussion...I figured I'd start a new thread. Here are the new rankings for this week.

REGION/RANK SCHOOL IN-REGION RECORD OVERALL RECORD

EAST
              1 Plattsburgh State 23-0-2 23-0-2
              2 Norwich 16-2-3 19-3-3
              3 Middlebury 16-5-2 16-6-2
              4 Bowdoin 14-4-2 18-4-2
              5 Elmira 20-4-1 20-4-1
              6 Trinity (Conn.) 15-5-3 15-6-3
              7 Amherst 12-10-1 12-10-1
              8 Manhattanville 12-7-0 16-8-1
              9 Connecticut College 13-9-1 13-10-1
              10 Hamilton 13-10-1 13-10-1
              I have to ask - how does Connecticut College lose to Williams and then move UP 1 slot in the top ten?

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                I have to ask - how does Connecticut College lose to Williams and then move UP 1 slot in the top ten?
                Since you asked, I will bring this up. It is likely by the same process that knocked Utica out, after going 3-0 last week.

Believe it or not, moving ConnCollege up I think helps move Bowdoin over Elmira in the ranking. Just a guess without looking at the numbers.
                Last edited by Captain Obvious; 02-20-2013, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                  I would love to see it another way and it would be nice if the west had 4 teams, I just do not see it happening this year.
                  I suppose hypothetically 4 west teams could get in this year if...

Gustavus is upset in the MIAC championship game, RIver Falls is upset in the NCHA championship game and

2 of Bowdoin, Trinity, and Elmira lose real early in their conference playoffs.
                  UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
                    Since you asked, I will bring this up. It is likely by the same process that knocked Utica out, after going 3-0 last week.

Believe it or not, moving ConnCollege up I think helps move Bowdoin over Elmira in the ranking. Just a guess without looking at the numbers.
                    Certainly appears as though some funny business going on here. Utica goes 3-0 and drops from 9 out of the rankings. Conn College splits with unranked Williams (who Utica beat) and jumps past Utica in the rankings. Hamilton also moves into the top 10 by sweeping Colby. Seems as though somebody wants to get as many NESCAC schools on this list as possible. I'm guessing that helps justify Bowdoin over Elmira???

Comment

Originally posted by Diiihockeyfan View Post
                      Certainly appears as though some funny business going on here.
                      It must be a conspiracy (the CIA doesn't recruit on those NESCAC campuses for nothing). My theory is based on the color of Coach Gillis' eyes or, I got it, I bet Coach Steele bought the brewskis!

Comment

Not to add to the conspiracy theory, but the spreadsheet with the raw numbers were not updated, so comparing Bowdoin to Elmira (without more time than I have) isn't possible. The first set of numbers published, Elmira beat Bowdoin in every single category. Looking at the Utica vs. Conn College comparison was a little closer. It's why we call it the smoke filled room!
                        Steve
                        Penn State Class of '95
                        Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                          Not to add to the conspiracy theory, but the spreadsheet with the raw numbers were not updated, so comparing Bowdoin to Elmira (without more time than I have) isn't possible. The first set of numbers published, Elmira beat Bowdoin in every single category. Looking at the Utica vs. Conn College comparison was a little closer. It's why we call it the smoke filled room!
                          When you click the link for the scoring comparisons it brings up a spreadsheet dated March 7, 2011....would be nice if they had updated that sometime in the past 2 years.
                          UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

When you click the link for the scoring comparisons it brings up a spreadsheet dated March 7, 2011....would be nice if they had updated that sometime in the past 2 years.
                            Is that better or worse than the men's side where there are no spreadsheets at all???
                            Steve
                            Penn State Class of '95
                            Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                              Is that better or worse than the men's side where there are no spreadsheets at all???
                              I'll go with worse ... it's kind of like taunting .....

Comment

Working...
                              X