PDA

View Full Version : Fire Dave shyiak

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

seawolfpunk
03-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Why would I care about getting any credit? I don't pretend to be some kind of insider. Also don't care that you didn't like my choice of adjective. Someone who works for UAA told me that Shyiak isn't going to be the coach next year. I thought the people who posted in this thread might like to know.

I appreciate it you sharing this info. Just ignore Donald.

Seawolf Fan
03-24-2013, 07:05 PM
A troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, with the intention of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
Do you think perhaps the rumor posters may fall into this categaory?

drcobbmustgonow
03-24-2013, 11:46 PM
Umm...read the name of the thread, how does his post "disrupt normal on-topic discussion"? Troll-on!

--Dre

http://hockeytownak.blogspot.com

Suze
03-25-2013, 12:38 AM
Why would I care about getting any credit? I don't pretend to be some kind of insider. Also don't care that you didn't like my choice of adjective. Someone who works for UAA told me that Shyiak isn't going to be the coach next year. I thought the people who posted in this thread might like to know.

Man I hope that someone is right. If it's true, I hope they take their time in hiring a new coach this time. Do it right.

The Rube
03-25-2013, 12:49 AM
A troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, with the intention of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
Do you think perhaps the rumor posters may fall into this categaory?

No. Sometimes people hear things. Heck, some MTU fans were keeping track of flights into/out of Houghton when their coach search was on. The keys are: don't give away sources, and make sure you are saying it's not FACT, but it's more than what your next door neighbor heard from his brother's cousin's BFF from grade school.

uaafanblog
03-25-2013, 01:42 AM
No. Sometimes people hear things. Heck, some MTU fans were keeping track of flights into/out of Houghton when their coach search was on. The keys are: don't give away sources, and make sure you are saying it's not FACT, but it's more than what your next door neighbor heard from his brother's cousin's BFF from grade school.

And sharing such alleged information in the manner done fully deserved the sarcastic response with which I answered. It was exactly the sort of rumor that the board's rule regarding rumors was created to discourage.

Alaskana
03-25-2013, 03:02 PM
I heard from a pretty good source this weekend that Dave Shyiak will not be back at UAA next season.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the tip, I hope it bears out to be true. I also hope you wouldn't be so cruel as to dangle that tasty morsel in front of us dejected Seawolves fans knowing it's a falsehood. :p But seriously, IMHO I wouldn't call Tipsy's post trolling, I mean it is a thread titled "Fire Dave Shyiak", after all. Of course, as with anything you read here or elsewhere on the Internet - caveat lector.

Suze
03-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the tip, I hope it bears out to be true. I also hope you wouldn't be so cruel as to dangle that tasty morsel in front of us dejected Seawolves fans knowing it's a falsehood. :p But seriously, IMHO I wouldn't call Tipsy's post trolling, I mean it is a thread titled "Fire Dave Shyiak", after all. Of course, as with anything you read here or elsewhere on the Internet - caveat lector.

Well said.

dubbie31
03-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Well said.

Hope it happens for your sake Suze!

Tipsy McStagger
03-25-2013, 08:19 PM

I have better things to do with my time, and there are certainly other fanbases I would troll before UAA (UMD, Gophers).

Suze
03-25-2013, 11:59 PM
Hope it happens for your sake Suze!

Thanks Peter.

Bonin21
03-29-2013, 06:07 PM
This happened

seawolfpunk
03-29-2013, 07:14 PM
This happened

it did and now this thread can die.

buy_odins_beer
04-04-2013, 09:57 PM
I realize this is a very old topic but wanted to say my peace anyways.

Yes, it was time for a change, for both Shyiak and UAA. However, I don't hold Shyiak entirely at fault here as I really believe between facilities and administration (ie Cobb), NO ONE could win at UAA, or stay competitive in the old WCHA at the least. If ever UAA is to achieve hockey glory, they have to get rid of Cobb. The level of neglect the hockey program has seen is unbelievable. Between not getting any new facilities, his disinterest in connecting to the UAA student body, and the level of contempt I see from former Seawolf players, its incredible he still has a job. I would think any AD that showed this much neglect to a program's flagship athletic team would not have a job long.

A couple other points. Yes, UAA has one of the most respected D2 basketball teams in the country, but can D2 basketball bring in more money than a successful D1 hockey team? Secondly, I believe Anchorage has lost its cred as a hockey town. UAA barely gets any support from the community, and while the Aces have been winning consistently over the course of a decade, they are still middle of the pack in ECHL attendance, and really only see their big crowds come playoff time. Anchorage is really a fair weather sports town, spoiled by the winning ways of the Alaska Aces this past decade.

In my dream world, I would get rid of UAA's hockey program, try to find someway to renovate Sullivan Arena, and transform the Aces into a WHL team as Anchorage could be a better market for Major Junior hockey.

But thats just me.

drcobbmustgonow
04-05-2013, 02:21 AM
I realize this is a very old topic but wanted to say my peace anyways.

Yes, it was time for a change, for both Shyiak and UAA. However, I don't hold Shyiak entirely at fault here as I really believe between facilities and administration (ie Cobb), NO ONE could win at UAA, or stay competitive in the old WCHA at the least. If ever UAA is to achieve hockey glory, they have to get rid of Cobb. The level of neglect the hockey program has seen is unbelievable. Between not getting any new facilities, his disinterest in connecting to the UAA student body, and the level of contempt I see from former Seawolf players, its incredible he still has a job. I would think any AD that showed this much neglect to a program's flagship athletic team would not have a job long.

A couple other points. Yes, UAA has one of the most respected D2 basketball teams in the country, but can D2 basketball bring in more money than a successful D1 hockey team? Secondly, I believe Anchorage has lost its cred as a hockey town. UAA barely gets any support from the community, and while the Aces have been winning consistently over the course of a decade, they are still middle of the pack in ECHL attendance, and really only see their big crowds come playoff time. Anchorage is really a fair weather sports town, spoiled by the winning ways of the Alaska Aces this past decade.

In my dream world, I would get rid of UAA's hockey program, try to find someway to renovate Sullivan Arena, and transform the Aces into a WHL team as Anchorage could be a better market for Major Junior hockey.

But thats just me.

Great article...on Quinnipiac how to do it right. http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2013/04/05_behind_the_music.php
Note: the new arena is the home of mens/women's basketball and hockey. There's no reason that 109 million arena couldn't have included ice. And before D chimes in with his Palin rant..Pallin vetoed the stand alone arena, not the opportunity for a combined arena. Just ask the one regent who voted against the arena...because the plans "as proposed" did not meet the needs of the university. sorry...I digress.

I'm up for your WHL dream!

--Dre
http://hockeytownak.blogspot.com