PDA

View Full Version : Fire Dave shyiak

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

vizoroo
03-09-2013, 04:16 PM
And exactly what do you base that on? If your school were in this bind, I assure you, you would be calling for the coach's head.

His style of play is boring and it often seems to me (and other fans I've spoken to) he is out coached. Special teams are some of the WORST ever, and that's on him. Last, many of the players don't like him or respect him. They have pretty much given up. He doesn't get involved enough in the community, and that is key to recruiting local talent. Nope, he needs to go. UAA needs a fresh start.

Seems to me UAA chose not to compete once DU had a 2 goal lead last night. Before that point it just didn't seem thay had the talent or skills or both. Or maybe the game plan was wrong, Coach. Pios had a couple of really bad turnovers and missed opportunities that should have been a positive for the Seawolves, but it didn't happen. If the team has given up on the coach or themselves, it would appear that it is time for a change.

seawolfpunk
03-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Seems to me UAA chose not to compete once DU had a 2 goal lead last night. Before that point it just didn't seem thay had the talent or skills or both. Or maybe the game plan was wrong, Coach. Pios had a couple of really bad turnovers and missed opportunities that should have been a positive for the Seawolves, but it didn't happen. If the team has given up on the coach or themselves, it would appear that it is time for a change.
It has been that a lot this year. I think some of the players need to go as well as shyiak (not mentioning names).

Suze
03-09-2013, 04:49 PM

You hit the nail on the head. I don't think this is a coach that they players want to win for. And I don't agree that any of the players need to go, they will all bounce back with a much needed change in coaching staff.

seawolfpunk
03-12-2013, 04:41 PM
The Lake State fans in the LSSU thread are calling for Jim Roque to be fired after a 17 win season. You guys must be beating down Shyiak,s door up there!

I know Cobb has had quite a few meetings with the hockey alumni and they have voiced there displeasure with Shyiak, hasn't done any good though.

Wolfman
03-12-2013, 05:19 PM
I am so tired of losing, I am ready for Shyiak to go.

drcobbmustgonow
03-13-2013, 12:00 AM
...and the remaining UAA alumni have voiced their concern and displeasure of the AD who knows absolutely nothing about hockey and is proud of it.

Replace Shyiak with (insert name here) and you’re still going to have a program with no momentum, no vision, no leadership and little chance to recruit talent. Cobb sets the tone for this program and whomever replaces Shyiak will not produce much more than we’ve seen over the last few years. Sure a new coach may get a few more wins because we’re now in the Have Not League (HNL) but the quality of hockey, atmosphere, interest will not change. We’ll still have lots of yellow seats and distorted plexiglass to watch the games through. Perhaps Cobb can install rose tinted plexiglass to make things better for the program.

--Dre

http://hockeytownak.blogspot.com

seawolfpunk
03-13-2013, 02:42 PM
...and the remaining UAA alumni have voiced their concern and displeasure of the AD who knows absolutely nothing about hockey and is proud of it.

Replace Shyiak with (insert name here) and you’re still going to have a program with no momentum, no vision, no leadership and little chance to recruit talent. Cobb sets the tone for this program and whomever replaces Shyiak will not produce much more than we’ve seen over the last few years. Sure a new coach may get a few more wins because we’re now in the Have Not League (HNL) but the quality of hockey, atmosphere, interest will not change. We’ll still have lots of yellow seats and distorted plexiglass to watch the games through. Perhaps Cobb can install rose tinted plexiglass to make things better for the program.

--Dre

http://hockeytownak.blogspot.com

As much as I'd like to see Cobb go, I know it won't happen

drcobbmustgonow
03-17-2013, 05:20 AM
As much as I'd like to see Cobb go, I know it won't happen

...and why won't it happen? Is the Track and Field team doing too well?

fairbanks hockey puck
03-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Doyle's article looks like an obituary..yikes

Seawolf Fan
03-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Woody hates now, hated yesterday and will hate tomorrow. Don't care which of his articles you read you will find he always, every time puts a negative spin on UAA hockey. When we win he's quick to point out the negatives. In past years when we've won more, each of his articles were putdowns and negatives.He just flat hates UAA hockey. The Aces are his game and the Seawolves his punching bag. He does every thing and anything in his power to keep from advancing or promote UAA hockey. What a total jerk.

aallenpollreisz
03-17-2013, 06:01 PM
...and why won't it happen? Is the Track and Field team doing too well?Yeah, pretty much. Also, the hoops arena.

uaafanblog
03-17-2013, 08:09 PM
Cobb isn't going anywhere because he has consistently raised UAA's standing in the "Director's Cup" rankings. UAA ranks 16th nationwide in Division II sports using whatever system this "Director's Cup thing uses. That's huge considering how few sports they sponsor. For comparison UAF is 133, NMU is 134, Lake Superior State is 143, Alabama Huntsville is 93, St. Cloud State is 33, Minnesota Duluth is 88. When his boss comes to him on job performance day that's all he has to point to in order to stay employed.

As I've said before, if nothing else that's actually something on his resume that he could use to find an AD job at a bigger school with more sports. If you want him gone find some bigger school looking for an AD and promote Cobb's name. Otherwise it just isn't going to happen. An Alaskan school that is essentially a powerhouse in D2 Cross Country and Track and Field? That's something to hang your hat on.

UAA Hockey's problems are not in his lap. Could he fix some of them? Yes he could. Now that the season is done we'll see what happens over the next few weeks. I have my doubts that he'll replace Shyiak unless the players overwhelmingly come to him. And then of course, we face the same issues. Another Dave Shyiak, John Hill or Dean Talafous isn't going to turn things around. It'll take a "name" ... someone with existing recruiting power that goes with his name. And they'll have to shell out bucks to get that "name". For every dollar they spend less than 300K they'll get a lesser name and with that a likely continuance of the status quo.

The new league make-up will offer them a more equitable path to success than being mired in the most powerful conference in college hockey. Succeeding there was never realistic with the geography and existing hegemony of the NCAA recruiting process. The best of the best were always going to go to UAA's big named and historically successful opponents. If the school keeps Shyiak (or hires someone akin to him) then we can hope that once in every few years when Dave manages to put and keep together a good lineup that UAA will get into the show from the nWCHA. If they hire a "name" that could change to being an NCAA post season regular.

drcobbmustgonow
03-18-2013, 02:46 AM
Cobb isn't going anywhere because he has consistently raised UAA's standing in the "Director's Cup" rankings. UAA ranks 16th nationwide in Division II sports using whatever system this "Director's Cup thing uses. That's huge considering how few sports they sponsor. For comparison UAF is 133, NMU is 134, Lake Superior State is 143, Alabama Huntsville is 93, St. Cloud State is 33, Minnesota Duluth is 88. When his boss comes to him on job performance day that's all he has to point to in order to stay employed.

As I've said before, if nothing else that's actually something on his resume that he could use to find an AD job at a bigger school with more sports. If you want him gone find some bigger school looking for an AD and promote Cobb's name. Otherwise it just isn't going to happen. An Alaskan school that is essentially a powerhouse in D2 Cross Country and Track and Field? That's something to hang your hat on.

UAA Hockey's problems are not in his lap. Could he fix some of them? Yes he could. Now that the season is done we'll see what happens over the next few weeks. I have my doubts that he'll replace Shyiak unless the players overwhelmingly come to him. And then of course, we face the same issues. Another Dave Shyiak, John Hill or Dean Talafous isn't going to turn things around. It'll take a "name" ... someone with existing recruiting power that goes with his name. And they'll have to shell out bucks to get that "name". For every dollar they spend less than 300K they'll get a lesser name and with that a likely continuance of the status quo.

The new league make-up will offer them a more equitable path to success than being mired in the most powerful conference in college hockey. Succeeding there was never realistic with the geography and existing hegemony of the NCAA recruiting process. The best of the best were always going to go to UAA's big named and historically successful opponents. If the school keeps Shyiak (or hires someone akin to him) then we can hope that once in every few years when Dave manages to put and keep together a good lineup that UAA will get into the show from the nWCHA. If they hire a "name" that could change to being an NCAA post season regular.

I sure hope they evaluate his performance from more than just the Directors Cup. Most AD's have incentives such as attendance, post-season play, private/public partnerships etc...It's great that UAA is doing well in the Director Cup rankings but I wonder how they can incorporate...driving a flagship sports program into the ground through years of neglect, into the ranking methodology? Cobb needs to take a lesson from Mankato's AD...they consistently rank higher and have managed to generate a spikes in attendance for hockey and football. We'll have to agree to disagree D...Cobb needs to move on or they need to kill the hockey program. Let the private sector bring in a Junior team and show UAA what they missed out on. There is soooo much potential for amateur hockey to succeed/profit in this market.

uaafanblog
03-18-2013, 01:24 PM
The "fine" folks above Cobb at UAA and ancillary people associated with the Athletic Department at UAA seem to take seriously the ethos to treat all the sports as equally important. While this is nice for Women's Volleyball it obviously doesn't do anything for the Hockey program. These "fine" people won't allow Mike Peluso's number to be retired because he was/is a few credits short of graduating.

To be honest, I'm still effing p!ssed at Cobb as I can be over this Peluso situation as he told me numerous times that it would happen. He has the authority to make it happen and won't use it because some academic f@ggot doesn't want to lower the standards. There couldn't be a better representative alumni for the UAA Hockey program than Mike Peluso. He's the only alum with his name on the biggest trophy in all of sports and his personal story in helping his team win the thing is one of the most compelling stories in all of sports. And even with all that Cobb won't do the right effing thing. It sickens me. And the endless stories of him blowing smoke up other people's arses are indeed endless.

I am not trying to defend Cobb here or advocate that he be retained. I'm just analyzing the reality to the best of my ability. He just isn't the real power behind effing up the hockey program. And the insular, faint-hearted culture surrounding and above him at UAA is unlikely in my estimation to do anything about anything. This is also why there is no campus hockey arena. They were ALL too chicken-(excrement) to stand up and fight for it like men when local reaction was not great and Sarah Palin nixed it. They are all a bunch of namby-pamby panty wearing "go along to get along" slaves to the status-quo.

Tipsy McStagger
03-24-2013, 11:10 AM
I heard from a pretty good source this weekend that Dave Shyiak will not be back at UAA next season.

uaafanblog
03-24-2013, 02:32 PM
So let's say a person gets some information that they want to share but they don't want to reveal who they got the information from. What do you do? Post the least descriptive sentence you could possibly come up with on a public message board? Yeah ... this way later on if/when your information pans out you can come back to the board and loudly and proudly proclaim how you knew that already.

It's important not to get specific and/or to provide any context regarding how this information was disseminated to you. Use weak adjectives like "pretty good"instead of "excellent" or "authoritative" or something that would give people some real sense of what you "heard". Doing so might give your rumor-mongering some credibility. And you don't want that. You want to see those you are providing this non-information information to wonder why it is that they haven't "heard from pretty good sources" anything along those lines. This is the "flapping the gums in the wind" meme. Again, it's purpose isn't to provide any actual information, it's just so you can come back later and say ... "look at me and what I said xx number of days ago; aren't I special?"

Tipsy McStagger
03-24-2013, 03:25 PM
So let's say a person gets some information that they want to share but they don't want to reveal who they got the information from. What do you do? Post the least descriptive sentence you could possibly come up with on a public message board? Yeah ... this way later on if/when your information pans out you can come back to the board and loudly and proudly proclaim how you knew that already.

It's important not to get specific and/or to provide any context regarding how this information was disseminated to you. Use weak adjectives like "pretty good"instead of "excellent" or "authoritative" or something that would give people some real sense of what you "heard". Doing so might give your rumor-mongering some credibility. And you don't want that. You want to see those you are providing this non-information information to wonder why it is that they haven't "heard from pretty good sources" anything along those lines. This is the "flapping the gums in the wind" meme. Again, it's purpose isn't to provide any actual information, it's just so you can come back later and say ... "look at me and what I said xx number of days ago; aren't I special?"
Why would I care about getting any credit? I don't pretend to be some kind of insider. Also don't care that you didn't like my choice of adjective. Someone who works for UAA told me that Shyiak isn't going to be the coach next year. I thought the people who posted in this thread might like to know.

uaafanblog
03-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Why would I care about getting any credit? I don't pretend to be some kind of insider. Also don't care that you didn't like my choice of adjective. Someone who works for UAA told me that Shyiak isn't going to be the coach next year. I thought the people who posted in this thread might like to know.
Any person can go into any thread and post any rumor they wish. You provided exactly zero reason for anyone to consider what you posted as anything more than some poster doing just that. That's the reason for the sarcastic reply. The board actually has a rule against such rumor-mongering but I decided to reply with sarcasm rather than lobby the board's admin to have your post removed. I thought it was a learning opportunity for you and others.

Notice how in this follow-up post you've now indicated "someone who works for UAA". It appears you indeed learned something. There's still no context but it's a step in the right direction ... i.e... away from pure rumor-mongering.

4four4
03-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Rumor has is it UAA will be firing their coach. ;D

Seawolf Fan
03-24-2013, 06:37 PM
The rumors really add something to the post don't you think?
How juvenile.