Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fire Dave shyiak

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    So is it really the coaches who have been at fault? The team hasn't had a winning record since 91-92. The best win total was Shyiak's 16 two seasons ago. All the coaches, Brush, Hill, Talafous and Shyiak have had single digit win seasons. It seems that the problems go far deeper than the name on the coaches office. Until you fix what lies at the root of the problem, you set up the next guy for the same failures the current and past coaches have experienced. The other part of that is if the conditions are the same, which prime candidate will jump at the chance to go to Anchorage. Michigan Tech not only had to give Mel Pearson a 250% raise over Jamie Russell, they had to pony up better salaries for assistants, improve the recruiting and travel and a few other things to get the guy that is turning their program around. Would Mel have gone there for Russell's salary and the conditions and funding that Jamie had? Not a chance.
    I do agree that the problems do go deeper than the coaches & Cobb's office (Bill Spindle comes to mind), yet shyiak has had more last place finishes than anyone else.
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Read DD posts and then wonder why he was denied credentials?????????
      Like his writing or hate his writing makes no difference. His writing is not how a respectable institution wants to be represented.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
        Read DD posts and then wonder why he was denied credentials?????????
        Like his writing or hate his writing makes no difference. His writing is not how a respectable institution wants to be represented.
        I didn't represent them. Does the ADN "represent" them? No. Do they have to give me credentials? No. Was it in their best interest to do so? Yes. Whether or not you agree, the blog gave more visibility to the team online and provided a positive interactive place for fans to share their views. It could be doing the same thing today had I chose to continue to write it. But over the last couple of years of the blog I BEGGED on many occasions for other UAA fans to step up and contribute content. I made it clear I'd walk away the instant someone else came along that was willing to carry it forward with anything like the same vigor. I received zero replies from anyone indicating such an interest. I did add JJ to the blog in the hopes that he'd carry it forward. His post game interviews were well worth it. He originally envisioned doing much more but it never came to that. All that stuff takes personal time.

The reason(s) they pulled the credentials was an accumulation of complaints about offensive language and what I would call "socially challenging" commentary. In other words, too many eff bombs and too much picking on the Sioux nickname and it's racist supporters. There is ONE thing and ONE thing only to know regarding their decision ... The person in charge of the decision is very religious. End of story. An atheist dropping eff bombs and calling out the racist attitudes of opposition fans was too much for him to defend when the complaints came rolling in.

I decided to quit writing at that point because their decision to pull the credentials was like getting 86'd from a bar. If I get kicked out of someplace I don't take my business back to them. Same thing with the UAA Admin/Me relationship. They told me to eff off ... so I did. Their loss in my book. All they had to do in fielding complaints from old grannies was explain that they had no control over my content in the same manner they have no control over Doyle Woody's content. At least mine was NEVER negative to the program. And did they provide me any official feedback on the complaints they received? Once. They bungled the whole thing. The nature of my content was absolutely clear when they issued credentials ... something that Dr. Cobb himself prodded me to do. So again, it's on them.

Could I have moderated my content to fall in line with the same insipid coverage that you get from newspapers covering sports teams? Yes, I could have written for the least common denominator readership? Yep, I could have. Would I ever do that? Eff no. My writing there was always exactly what I felt as a fan and what I felt that other people could relate to. Like I said, it's their loss. Not mine. I have loads more personal time from not writing it.

So again, as I told JJ. Your expectations for what I say online (in any forum/blog or otherwise) are yours to own. Not mine. Don't like it. Don't read it or AT LEAST attempt to counter whatever points I've made with reasoning and not by trying to tell me how to act.

Now hopefully, we can talk about the subject of this thread ... which ISNT me.
        Last edited by uaafanblog; 02-27-2013, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post
          I do agree that the problems do go deeper than the coaches & Cobb's office (Bill Spindle comes to mind), yet shyiak has had more last place finishes than anyone else.
          He also has the best winning percentage since Brush retired.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Agreed davy ... dumping Shyiak right now only has one real purpose. It's a jump start. It's a defibrillator. The team as it is now with Shyiak in charge could very well do quite nicely next season (if everyone stays). But this decision can't be made with some idea of a quick fix. A bold new direction must be made. If they were to get rid of Shyiak and the only way they moved forward was to open the job nationally and pick the best candidate that applied (how it's always been done in the past) then it would be a mistake to get rid of him. They'll only end up with another version of him. They need to find a "name coach" that will instantly impress a potential recruit. I've tried to suggest some manner of examples of that. I think they absolutely must start with recognition that they'll have to pay 300K a year to attract such a person.

Alternatively, I feel it would move the program slightly forward to find a local well respected coach (such a coach won't need to be paid 300K) who can attract the Tier 1 Anchorage players who otherwise now choose places like DU and CC to play hockey. Anchorage can sometimes produce 1 or 2 of those kinds of players a year. It's always been a known way to improve the program. Unfortunately, (for many many reasons) Dave has lost enough of the local hockey community that he'll only get any of those Tier 1 locals very rarely. To date, he's really gotten none of them.
            Last edited by uaafanblog; 02-27-2013, 08:41 AM.

Comment

As an outsider, I'm curious as to what level of success most UAA fans think can reasonably be achieved. Obviously everyone wants their team to win the national championship, or at least be competing for it.

It seems apparent many UAA fans believe there are some institutional barriers in place right now, whether that be broken promises regarding facilities or a failure to spend the amount of money on a program necessary (in the eyes of those fans) to help UAA be successful.

But as others have pointed out, UAA faces geographical obstacles that schools other than Alaska don't. No matter how good a building or coach you might have, those obstacles will still exist.

So acknowledging those geographical obstacles, what level of success do UAA fans have in mind as something that is reasonably achievable? Is it something similar to what Alaska has now? Maybe closer to that of a NMU or Harvard, with the infrequent, but periodic, NCAA appearance? Can UAA build a national collegiate hockey power, given the travel and recruiting handicaps created by it's location? I'm kind of curious about UAA fans' opinions on this.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                As an outsider, I'm curious as to what level of success most UAA fans think can reasonably be achieved. Obviously everyone wants their team to win the national championship, or at least be competing for it.

It seems apparent many UAA fans believe there are some institutional barriers in place right now, whether that be broken promises regarding facilities or a failure to spend the amount of money on a program necessary (in the eyes of those fans) to help UAA be successful.

But as others have pointed out, UAA faces geographical obstacles that schools other than Alaska don't. No matter how good a building or coach you might have, those obstacles will still exist.

So acknowledging those geographical obstacles, what level of success do UAA fans have in mind as something that is reasonably achievable? Is it something similar to what Alaska has now? Maybe closer to that of a NMU or Harvard, with the infrequent, but periodic, NCAA appearance? Can UAA build a national collegiate hockey power, given the travel and recruiting handicaps created by it's location? I'm kind of curious about UAA fans' opinions on this.
                I think with the realignment starting next season, my expectations (with or without a coaching change) would be that UAA be a top 3 team in the wcha for years to come and throw in an NCAA bid every once in a while, although i'm very pessimistic about that happening with the current regime we have.
                Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

I would be extremely happy just to have a winning season, and for once to get home ice for the playoffs. That would be a great start, and I can't speak for other UAA fans, but I think most would agree with that.
                  Originally Posted by aparch
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                    I didn't represent them. Does the ADN "represent" them? No.
                    The ADN represents a newspaper, you (by virtue of your blog name) represent UAA. This is a discussion you and I have had numerous times in the past. How many times did I tell you what you wrote and the pictures you posted were offensive and a poor reflection on UAA? You disagreed. By virtue of what I (and all other UAA fans) post here, we are in a way a reflection on the team. The difference is that your USCHO handle and your blog uses the letters "UAA".

Did you provide readers, and more importantly parents, a valuable service? Most definitely. You provided fair commentary and insight about the team, and your game recaps were excellent. It was certainly better than anything Doyle Woody ever put together. It is too bad that your articles couldn't have been tempered a bit.
                    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I love it when an Outsider supports my agenda! Shyiak Good, Cobb Bad!!!!

--Dre

http://hockeytownak.blogspot.com

DD...it seems to me that The Almighty Cobb must have shared a few Cubans with you before your departure. Sorry if I'm wasting electrons, but I'm sure you can understand the passion behind the post even if you don't agree with it.

Comment

Well another **** weekend, this time for pride, can't wait til the season is over, **** poor effort by the guys this weekend.

Comment

I think my question at this point is that, (if he hasn't already decided to leave), why is he staying? Yes, I understand the whole part about needing to make a living and all, but really I don't see how Shyiak can still think he is doing any good for the UAA Seawolves hockey program. I am starting to suspect that he is just going through the motions and collecting a paycheck. At the very least he should give a press conference at the end of this lame season and either resign or lay out publicly what he plans to do to correct this situation. I've said before that I think he would probably do very well as coach or assistant coach in another venue that doesn't have such challenging logistics (hello Michigan?). At this point I think the overwhelming consensus is that either he should resign or 'the man' should make the call, thank him for his 8 years of service and replace him. Of course I know all of this hinges on the very important question of who replaces him, and it's encouraging to see at least some discussion here suggesting who that could be.

In the end though, and outside of all of the infighting I've seen here amongst UAA fans, I'm just ready for the Shyiak administration nightmare to end. If it doesn't end this year I don't think I'll be a fan again until such change does occur, and I suspect many other fans have already made that decision judging by the pathetically empty Sully. I know this is unthinkable for some fans, but the Hill years are starting to sound good at this point.
                          Last edited by Alaskana; 03-04-2013, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskana View Post
                            I think my question at this point is that, (if he hasn't already decided to leave), why is he staying? Yes, I understand the whole part about needing to make a living and all, but really I don't see how Shyiak can still think he is doing any good for the UAA Seawolves hockey program. I am starting to suspect that he is just going through the motions and collecting a paycheck. At the very least he should give a press conference at the end of this lame season and either resign or lay out publicly what he plans to do to correct this situation. I've said before that I think he would probably do very well as coach or assistant coach in another venue that doesn't have such challenging logistics (hello Michigan?). At this point I think the overwhelming consensus is that either he should resign or 'the man' should make the call, thank him for his 8 years of service and replace him. Of course I know all of this hinges on the very important question of who replaces him, and it's encouraging to see at least some discussion here suggesting who that could be.

In the end though, and outside of all of the infighting I've seen here amongst UAA fans, I'm just ready for the Shyiak administration nightmare to end. If it doesn't end this year I don't think I'll be a fan again until such change does occur, and I suspect many other fans have already made that decision judging by the pathetically empty Sully. I know this is unthinkable for some fans, but the Hill years are starting to sound good at this point.
                            Agreed. Way too many fans and long time boosters are staying away until changes are made. The fact that the changes haven't been made speaks a lot about the state of the program. Let's see what the admin does at the end of the season ... and that time is almost here.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I doubt that any one of us would resign, so while that would be incredibly magnanimous and bold it just wouldn't be practical for anyone to do.

IF they let Shyiak go, here's some suggested text for an ad:

NCAA Division 1 Hockey program requires a proven winning coach to rescue the foundering problem. Best candidate will be energized by existing institutional and geographic problems as a challenge to be overcome and have extensive multinational contacts from which to recruit elite players to fill the roster. Resume' should include evidence of building multiple winning hockey teams at a level equal to and/or exceeding Division 1. Recompense for the right candidate will be in-line with the highest others receive at this level i.e... base salary of $300,000 plus incentives for highest possible achievements. We seek nothing less than a coach with the real potential to win a national championship.

Comment

If I were the AA AD I would wait until after next season to see how he coaches compared to other like minded schools. My hunch, Shyiak keeps his job the guy can coach.
                                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X